PDA

View Full Version : I Just Have to Share My Thrift Store Find

snarlingcoyote
08-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I have been wanting a pair of DKNY jeans. I already have one pair with the flap-style pockets, but wanted a pair without this feature. Thrift store had them, in the wash I wanted with the regular big pockets. $4.88. :banana:

Also got another slipcover for the couch for $2.88 and a set of sheets for $3.88.

All in all, I am v. v. happy!

(And the Aeropostale sale is the same weekend as no tax for me! I am soooo buying some plain jane chinos next weekend!)

azdizzymom
08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry..used sheets from a thrift store..GROSS GROSS GROSS!

Wouldn't do it. Can find cheap sheets at Kohls for not much more.

NYCDiane
08-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Great find on those DKNYs!! That's why I LOVE thrift stores!

pilgrimage
08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I do not understand the problem of used sheets, well washed. That is
what one has in any hotel.

deedeecee
08-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Congrats on the bargains! I love it when I find exactly what I'm looking for at the thrift store.
My thrift store purchase this week was clothes for my daughter:
OshKosh blue jean skirt
Lilly Pulitzer skirt
Hannah Andersson shirt
Gymboree dress
Old Navy dress
All were in like-new or excellent condition. Total was $7.75!
The thrift store closest to my house is a dud, so I drive to a thrift store a few miles away. Much better bargains. ;)

C.Ann
08-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Sorry..used sheets from a thrift store..GROSS GROSS GROSS!

Wouldn't do it. Can find cheap sheets at Kohls for not much more.

Do you bring your own sheets, pillow cases, blankets, and bedspreads when you travel? No different.. Once they're washed properly they're fine..:)

I love thrift stores and garage sales.. :thumbsup2 Love the savings and the "hunt"..:goodvibes

snowgooseltd
08-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I agree...the hunt is part of the allure. I have no problem with anything "thrift". As long as the item is washed or cleaned it makes no difference. I've accumulated some very "high end" items over the years....LL Bean striped wool blanket, many Ralph Lauren items for hubby and me, top of the line kitchen ware, including a Bunn coffee pot for my camper and a Pampered Chef grill. We have two other Bunns and both were over $125.00 each...thrift find was $8.99. I love "thriftin' ".

horseshowmom
08-02-2009, 04:58 PM

Do you bring your own sheets, pillow cases, blankets, and bedspreads when you travel? No different.. Once they're washed properly they're fine..:)

I love thrift stores and garage sales.. :thumbsup2 Love the savings and the "hunt"..:goodvibes

I have to agree with both of these posters. Hotels are "used" sheets (probably a lot more used than the ones the OP bought too). :goodvibes

sameyeyam
08-02-2009, 05:13 PM
First of all congrats on the jeans! I love thrift centers and garage sales and get a lot of my clothes from there. Of course with all of the money I save my 17yo DD can go to the mall and buy her designer clothing!:lmao:

Interesting about the sheets. I've never hesitate to buy used sheets from garage sales or thrift stores. But this summer I had a garage sale and had lots of nice sheets, priced at $1 per set w/matching pillowcases and didn't sell one single set. They were in very good shape also. So maybe that explains why I didn't sell any. Obviously some people are freaked out by used sheets. I'm not judging, but it just never occurred to me that some people would feel that way about used sheets until someone mentioned it.:confused3 But now I can see where it would bother some folks.

pweyl36
08-02-2009, 05:19 PM

ME neither,my mil always finds what looks like new sheet sets. She washes them and they look good as new. I bet most of the sheets where on a spare bed or just didnt go with the new dacor.

C.Ann
08-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I've never hesitate to buy used sheets from garage sales or thrift stores. But this summer I had a garage sale and had lots of nice sheets, priced at $1 per set w/matching pillowcases and didn't sell one single set. They were in very good shape also. So maybe that explains why I didn't sell any. Obviously some people are freaked out by used sheets. I'm not judging, but it just never occurred to me that some people would feel that way about used sheets until someone mentioned it.:confused3 But now I can see where it would bother some folks.

Dang! I would have scooped up all you had for that price!! :headache::headache:

Jennifer in MI
08-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Way to go OP!!! Don't you just love that???

Totally agree!!! I'll buy nearly everything used. I do buy new underwear, however! :goodvibes

We went last night with a 50% off coupon to our local thrift store and scored with nearly all of the boys' fall/winter clothes for less than $20!!

snarlingcoyote
08-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Thank you all! I've just been doing the happy dance all weekend over those jeans. I had a specific brand and wash and pocket in a specific size and length. . .and THERE THEY WERE!

As for the sheets - I don't care, honestly. I love vintage sheets - the high quality, high thread count 1940's and 1950's sheets. They last FOREVER and never go bad. Those are definitely used, LOL. I also collect antique embroidered pillowcases. Doesn't bother me a BIT.

And I had to have sheets - going on a girls' weekend this coming weekend and we have to supply our own bedding for single beds. I don't have any twin sheets or a sleeping bag. . .well, I didn't have any twin sheets.

Also, SureFit Sofa Cover in natural sail cloth. 2.88! Eeehhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I was dancing over that one too. (My dog's jaw was broken when she was kicked by a horse. The jaw was set and healed, but she chews constantly. . . My slipcovers go on over slipcovers and have an old - thrift store - sheet on top of it all.)

The one I love is Jennifer's. . .50% off thrift prices! WHEEEEEEEE!!! I would have done some damage! I bet you're loving the extra money in your pocket.

mercydisney
08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
You are all so lucky!! I never find anything in my thrift store. And what I do find I can buy find cheaper in the store. :sad1::sad1:

Kion10
08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Great finds!

I found some really great deals at the thrift store earlier this week too! I posted about it on my blog (http://couponingtodisney.blogspot.com/2009/08/thrift-store-finds.html).

NYCDiane
08-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I had a great thrift store find a couple of years ago. This one particular thrift shop has "specials of the day". Well, the day I went, it was "all the kids' clothes you can fit in a bag for $5"... I had originally gone just to see if they had one thing and ended up getting her a bag full of clothing from Limited Too, Old Navy, Gap, etc. for $5. Amazing!

kilee
08-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I went to 2 stores on Friday. First was a bust. Second one though, I found 4 sweaters for just under $10.00.

I buy probably close to 80% of my clothing from thrift stores.

I'm like most people here.....almost anything is a go from there. I do, personally, draw the line at underclothes.

peyton18
08-03-2009, 08:15 AM

I absolutely LOVE garage sales!!! I had to quote this because I have a really good friend that does bring all of her bedding when she stays at a hotel. Something about used sheets freaks her out!

Nicholfamily5
08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
It must have been the weekend for thrift store fabulousness!

I went to the one near me, which is huge and AWESOME! for some pants for DD, who is growing like a weed. I found 5! pairs of jeans for her, one pair capris, 1 pair of shorts for me, and a GORGEOUS skirt that was handmade in India. Add a top for the skirt and I walked out paying $26!!! I wore the skirt and shirt yesterday to a christening and recieved soooo many compliments. I had NO problem telling them where I bought it!