PDA

View Full Version : Disneys new seasons are a bit much!!!!

ShellyLynn3630
08-02-2009, 01:43 PM
My gosh, Disney has really went all out with the release of the new rates. They have them broken down to every imagineable holiday possibly. Good lord! No more value, regular, holdiay, peak whatever. This is ridiculous!!!! The rates I was looking at did'nt go up that much, like ten bucks for a Friday and a Saturday night though. So I guess thats not to bad, I guess they have to pay for all of these codes for this year somehow!

lillykat
08-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Where did you find the new season list for 2010?

kaytieeldr
08-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I think the seasons still exist; they're just not delineated in favor of showing providing the individual dates where each price applies.

I didn't find the price list, but I played around a little. In January 2010:

I first checked 1/10 - 1/23
Date....................................Rate per Night
Sun, Jan 10 - Thu, Jan 14........$ 149.00
Fri, Jan 15 - Sun, Jan 17..........$ 164.00
Mon, Jan 18 - Thu, Jan 21........$ 149.00
Fri, Jan 22.............................$ 159.00

Then I checked 1/1/10-1/14/10
Date...............................Rate per Night
Fri, Jan 01 - Sat, Jan 02 .....$249.00
Sun, Jan 03 - Wed, Jan 06 .$174.00
Thu, Jan 07 - Sat, Jan 09 ...$184.00
Sun, Jan 10 - Thu, Jan 14 ...$174.00

And finally, I moved back to 1/10 - 1/14
Date...............Rate per Night
Sun, Jan 10 $ 149.00
Mon, Jan 11 $ 149.00
Tue, Jan 12 $ 149.00
Wed, Jan 13 $ 149.00
Thu, Jan 14 $ 149.00

MickeyEars
08-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I was just going to ask the same thing!! Mousesavers doesn't have their charts up yet so I don't know where else to find it. I did just go on the Disney website and entered our dates June 2-10 just to get an idea and it listed $170 for the first two days of our stay, then $200 for the Fri and Sat. nights and then $185 for the last four dates of our vacation. What's up with that for the first week of June? Can someone please show us the 2010 seasons chart. Thank you so much!!! :thumbsup2

Carla

ShellyLynn3630
08-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Go to a specific resort on Disney's website and click on the link on the right side of the page, where it list the seasons and its unbelievable! 2009 is first of course, then just look at 2010. I look at a moderate resort.

MickeyEars
08-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks ShellyLynn3630, I've given myself a headache and I just started looking at all this!!! ;)

Carla

MickeyEars
08-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Unbelievable, Disney's charts or whatever you call those are horrible to make sense of. I sure hope Mousesavers comes up with something easier to read.

Carla

ShellyLynn3630
08-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Ya, it is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rt2dz
08-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Unbelievable, Disney's charts or whatever you call those are horrible to make sense of. I sure hope Mousesavers comes up with something easier to read.

Carla

I know. I'm waiting for MouseSavers to get it up. Tomorrow? I like looking at everything all in one place.

Becky2005
08-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree! My head was spinning trying to make heads or tails out of that mess.

I wasn't even trying to find value season just *regular* season & they had "regular season 1 -- weekday" "regular season 2 -- weekday" then weekends and well....the dates aren't even lined up.

They went all over the place. I was looking June/July so thought -- OK, it starts at a different time but then as I scanned the LONG list of what dates are included, I found July in the top but then earlier July dates also in the middle.

I can't even imagine if I was first timer trying to plan a trip, I would have no idea what to budget as I wouldn't even be able to figure out if I was looking at the correct rates for the correct times! You have to guess which season is yours.

Allison
08-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Yes, it appears there are lots of different rates. The rates appear to be higher around activities at Disney World such as the marathon in January and half-marathon in early March. They are getting very specific.

FoodLover
08-02-2009, 04:31 PM
I am working on the 2010 charts. They are a bear!

Value and Moderate charts are now up on my site.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Nadjalu
08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Where can I find these dates, seasons and prices? (it seems you need a class to find all this stuff.....lol)
Thanks.

StitchandPooh'sMom
08-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Mary
MouseSavers.com

I'm sure this is a very busy Sunday for you! Thanks for all your hard work, and thanks for the heads up on ticket prices so many weeks ago! :goodvibes

ShellyLynn3630
08-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I just wonder what type of new "holidays" that Disney will be able to come out with in the coming years with regards to this rate plan. They were pretty crafty finding new holidays with the dining surcharges. :sad2:

rt2dz
08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Did you see the prices for the dining plan? They even vary by date.

The basic dining plan:

$42 per adult (ages 10+) $12 per child (age 3-9) per night above the cost of the Magic Your Way Package for travel dates: 1/01/10 2/11/10 ; 4/11/10 6/03/10 ; 8/15/10 12/16/10

$47 per adult (ages 10+) $13 per child (age 3-9) per night above the cost of the Magic Your Way Package for travel dates: 2/12/10 4/10/10 ; 6/04/10 8/14/10 ; 12/17/10 12/31/10

MickeyEars
08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Give me strength. This is so Disney isn't losing any money when the "holiday" surcharge kicks in isn't it? We should have known those on the Dining plan wouldn't escape the surcharge for long. Unreal isn't it? :sad2:

Carla

ShellyLynn3630
08-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Give me strength. This is so Disney isn't losing any money when the "holiday" surcharge kicks in isn't it? We should have known those on the Dining plan wouldn't escape the surcharge for long. Unreal isn't it? :sad2:

Carla

Soon they will be charging you for the air you breathe down there, and then they will add a surcharge onto that during peak times. This is absurd!!!!!! Even I never thought of this one. I will never pay for a dining plan, will only get it if it is free, and I sure would'nt pay $47 a night per adult for it.

Lucky Bug
08-02-2009, 06:32 PM

Mary
MouseSavers.com

:worship: Thank you! :hug: I certainly appreciate your efforts. :)

kaytieeldr
08-02-2009, 07:23 PM

Carla
Well, no. Look again. The Dining Plan is priced higher during peak periods, not holidays per se.
2/12/10 – 4/10/10 encompasses school vacations (winter/spring/Easter) plus college spring breaks;
6/04/10 – 8/14/10 represents summer break for pretty much all school systems throughout the country;
12/17/10 – 12/31/10 is Disney's typical Holiday (read: peak peak) season.

The lower price is in effect over Memorial Day and Thanksgiving, even though those are typical 'surcharge' holidays.

kaytieeldr
08-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Soon they will be charging you for the air you breathe down there, and then they will add a surcharge onto that during peak times. This is absurd!!!!!! Even I never thought of this one. I will never pay for a dining plan, will only get it if it is free, and I sure would'nt pay $47 a night per adult for it.
I bet with the higher price for the Dining Plan, the Free Dining promotion will be more restricted than in the past.

kc5grw
08-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Not sure what all the fuss is. If I'm not mistaken the new rate structure took effect in 2008 when Disney upgraded their reservation systems. That change finally allowed adjust the daily rate of your stay across weekends and rate seasons.

ShellyLynn3630
08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I bet with the higher price for the Dining Plan, the Free Dining promotion will be more restricted than in the past.

Oh, I agree. Just look at the new offer for fall and winter free ddp. I believe the tiered levels of hotels and free ddp are here to stay.

Corjack
08-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I cannot for the life of me find the rate seasons in the new layout on the Disney site...HELP!

Jackie

Minniekins
08-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Where did you find the new season list for 2010?

Here is a post I made in another thread a few minutes ago. I think I was trying to post here, but had both pages open and put in that one accidently, lol. But, it's relevant in both threads. Anyway, I've just copied and pasted the info from that thread so you can find the new rates and season info. Hope those who need it find it helpful! :goodvibes

Okay, just go to http://www.mousesavers.com and just there on the front page is the following on the right side of the page. The words Value, Moderate, etc are links you can click on to get to that kind of resort:

LATEST NEWS & HOT DEALS
AS OF 8/2/09

I'm currently compiling Walt Disney World resort 2010 rate charts. So far I've completed the Value, Moderate, Ft. Wilderness, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge charts.

Hope this is helpful for those not finding the info yet!

Tinkermom76
08-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Thank You soooo much :cheer2:

Man Disney has made it too confusing :confused:

disneyfantotheend
08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I have 2 days of summer season booked right now. The rest fall into value. Chances are some kind of deal will come out. They always have during our previous trips, so I am not that concerned about the current rates. Where did you find details on the DDP? Any other changes other than the price increase?

mmackeymouse
08-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Yeah, OP, I find it completely insane as well. I mean, here we are in the midst of the worst economy in years, and they are creating all these complicated pricing tiers, adding on weekend rates, etc etc? Just seems crazy to me!

tripplanner2
08-03-2009, 09:26 AM
But they only raised prices on weekends and kept weekdays the same. So I guess it is a compromise.:idea:

rt2dz
08-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Where did you find details on the DDP? Any other changes other than the price increase?

I can't remember where exactly the 2010 dining info was relayed. I know it is on WDW Magic, Mouse Misers and a few other places. The price increase does not surprise me, what surprised me (in a, "Wow, that's interesting" kind of way) was the two different prices for the same plan. No other changes. Still no appetizers, still no tips. The other dining plans remained exactly the same too, well the QS went up in price.

Ava
08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Having higher hotel rates on weekends makes sense from a business standpoint, and a lot of hotels in touristy areas have higher rates on weekends.

The DDP dates are a little baffling to me though. Easter is 4/18 next year, yet the higher pricing for DDP ends the week prior. I thought Easter week was one of the busiest times at WDW, you'd think they'd charge the higher rate during that week, not end it the week before.

lark
08-04-2009, 01:03 AM
I take it that stays that span multiple seasons, which many or most will with all these crazy seasons, will have different rates for different nights.

Didn't it used to be the case that your rate for your whole stay depended on the "season" for your first day? Maybe that's not the rule anymore -- it was the last time I had a room only reservation. But that would be a real mess with these new seasons.

figment82
08-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Having higher hotel rates on weekends makes sense from a business standpoint, and a lot of hotels in touristy areas have higher rates on weekends.

The DDP dates are a little baffling to me though. Easter is 4/18 next year, yet the higher pricing for DDP ends the week prior. I thought Easter week was one of the busiest times at WDW, you'd think they'd charge the higher rate during that week, not end it the week before.

Easter is April 4th in 2010...so that's why the DDP rates change to the lower rate the week of 4/11...

Also lark, Disney charges you a different rate per day, doesn't matter what day you check in...you pay more for holidays and weekends. If you check in during value and check out during regular, you're paying for both seasons.

Colleen27
08-04-2009, 01:46 AM

Easter is 4/4 next year, so those of us with the traditional Easter break go back to school on 4/12. I assume that's why the rates drop on 4/11.

karenmmk
08-04-2009, 02:02 AM
I take it that stays that span multiple seasons, which many or most will with all these crazy seasons, will have different rates for different nights.

Didn't it used to be the case that your rate for your whole stay depended on the "season" for your first day? Maybe that's not the rule anymore -- it was the last time I had a room only reservation. But that would be a real mess with these new seasons.

Yes, you're correct. In fact, our 7 night stay in Feb includes three different rates!

I do miss the days when we arrived on a "value" day and were able to have that rate for the entire stay. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

eeyorepixie
08-04-2009, 07:01 AM
I noticed the dining rate for 8/15 was priced value, I wonder if this is when the bounceback date will start. Bounceback, was the 23rd last trip...but free dining was bounced earlier than usual to 8/16. I really hope bounceback starts the 15th that would be great for my family and my DD's B-day is the 16th

DomFromPhilly
08-04-2009, 07:53 AM
The new DDP looks like it will follow the old resort rule of: pay according to the season you check in for your whole stay, even if the season changes mid-trip. Kind of stinks for mid-August travelers (summer into value), but works in favor of others.

disneyfantotheend
08-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Oh no, I didn't notice that. Well I am hoping for free dining anyway. If we get it, I will be making a room only ressie for our first 2 days. That will save us that extra charge. Guess it is just a waiting game now though. I have a very long wait for free dining to be announced, if it is announced.

Disney-Kim
08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I think Disney is looking for ways to make up for 4/3 rates, free dining, and all the other discounts. I can't imagine free dining makes Disney any money....so...this is what comes next:confused:

disneyfantotheend
08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
True, in a sense. Yet I am sure 2010 will come with very similar deals, so really they aren't going to make up for anything. I wonder just how many people actually pay rack rate? My DH told me about someone who went last August during free dining. I asked if they were happy to have free dining, he said they didn't get it, they didn't even know there was such a thing. I wonder just how many people like that there are. I am thinking most do research, but just guessing.

lark
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
I think Disney is looking for ways to make up for 4/3 rates, free dining, and all the other discounts. I can't imagine free dining makes Disney any money....so...this is what comes next:confused:

I actually would be interested to know whether free dining makes disney money. I bet it does. I think free dining is perhaps a response to excellent websites like this one and mousesavers, which have really spread the knowledge about codes and discount. I suspect that disney has seen the percentage of those who pay rack rates decrease year by year in the internet era.

"Free" dining is actually a really good way for disney to change the nature of discounts in their favor. This is because while free dining may "save" a family of four staying at a deluxe $100, it certainly does not "cost" disney nearly that much.

Disney would much rather give you $100 dining credit than give you a $100 discount on a room, because food is a relatively lower overhead item. If they knew for a certainty that everyone who gets the dining plan would eat and pay the same amount for the food, it would break even. But of course people wouldn't. They are basically trading services that they provide anyway in restaurants that they have already built for cash.

Just to take an example, with a code discount at AKL this fall, you can save $94 per night off rack rates. If you want the "free" dining, you need to pay rack, plus buy a ticket. Disney will trade $100 in free food credit for $94 cash any day, because the credit does not cost them close to $100. The value resorts do not come out quite the same for disney -- basically you pay an extra $35 in rack rates to get the $77 worth of free dining. Even that's probably a money maker for disney, and when you factor in that there are families of 3 who do free dining and lots of people who throw the one-day passes in their desk drawers for significant periods of time, I think free dining works out ok for disney.

Sorry, long winded post and a bit of a thread hijack. I'm not suggesting that dining is not a great deal. It's actually a win-win. I was just sort of ruminating about whether "free" dining actually loses disney money.

disneydreamingdebby
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
I think that many people plan vacations through Disney and aren't aware of the discounts. I think even if they hear about a discount they aren't aware that they can call and have it applied...I know others don't research at all, so how would they know...

I am glad some pay rack rates; it allows me to take advantage to specials offered!:cool1:

rt2dz
08-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Oh, I'm guess free dining makes Disney quite a bit of money. I can't remember where I read it (touringplans.com, all ears, mousesavers...?), but I do remember reading that the vast majority of people do not use all their dining credits. Just think how many people on here talk about their extra/left-over snack credits.

I also know that if you don't use the dining plan to its absolute max, you are hardly saving anything. A lot of people, even if they use all their credits, don't use their credits to their maximum value. Not everyone wants to eat the most expensive thing on the menu. That "save up to 30%" is if you did that at every meal. Heck, some of those 10yo are turning in adult credits for a kids meal, and parents don't care because in their heads it's "free". That's saving money right there.

Then, you also get people into TS restaurants who won't normally do so. You have to pay for those under 3 children out of pocket, if they won't eat off someone's plate. I know more picky toddlers, who won't eat what mom and/or dad have on their plate, especially if the more expensive items, that who will. And let's say that appetizer just sounds too good to pass up--out of pocket cost. Or maybe you want to try that German beer (or whatever)--out of pocket. And, those on the dining plan are still paying the servers for Disney (tips not included).

Then, to get free dining you have to pay rack rate on your room, instead of taking advantage of that 35-40% off room only code. And, instead of buying your tickets at a discount from some of the many discount ticket brokers, you had to pay full price for them at Disney. And if you had left over tickets, you'll just save those for another trip--upping the chance you'll lose them and have to buy tickets again for the next trip after all.

And, December free dining only gives you QS for a value resort (which is where there was any savings under past free dining offers). So the cost of the dining plan you are saving, which isn't equal to the savings you receive, is lessened. You then have to pay the difference to upgrade to a different dining plan, if that is what you want--again, making Disney even more money because of unused/under-used dining credits.

Disney only offers deals that will make them money. Now the 4/3 deal did net them a low profit margin, but it was still profit. And it had been years (after 9-11) since they offered it the last time. Disney offers free dining pretty regularly.

disneyfantotheend
08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Also regarding free dining, when we paid for the DDP, I was careful to go to restaurants that were a little higher priced, like Le Cellier. That way I was sure to get a deal out of it. Now I am hoping for free dining for our next August trip and if I get it, I have a lot of lower priced places figured into my plan, such as the Plaza and lots of buffets for breakfast. I know many will say the food isn't really free, because you are paying rack rate, but that is okay with me. I still consider it a great value even at the cheapest places to eat.