PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth gettting a hotel with a pool?

hellothere
08-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Hi All,

Just trying to decide if we should spend a bit more an get a hotel with a pool.....we are thinking the sequoina lodge.

Am thinking it might be nice to get a break from the parks and have something to do ...

on the other had maybe we'll be so busy we won't bother and would be better off staying somewhere cheaper without a pool.

Did you use your hotels pool when you were there ????

scald
08-02-2009, 07:22 AM
I think it really depends a lot on time of year and park opening hours. We stayed at Sequoia Lodge a fortnight ago and used the pool one afternoon as the temperatures were over 30 degrees and it was simply unbearable in the park. But with opening hours until 11pm, this did not eat into our day and we still got pleanty done in the morning and evening.

We have stayed in NBC at Christmas time and found that with the parks only open till 7 or 8pm, we didn't want to sacrifice time in the park to go back for a swim. Again, the length of stay (just 3 nights) meant that on this occassion we simply couldn't fit it in. If you are staying for a longer time, or have been so often that you are not trying to see everything then its a good idea.

You really will have to weigh up whether or not you think you would use it over extra time in the park. We stayed twice at Cheyenne without pool and it made no difference. This time we had 5 days and with such long hours, it was a nice respite:thumbsup2

Dianetigger
08-02-2009, 07:25 AM
We have normally used the pools when we were there. We go in the summer months and take a rest from the parks in the afternoon, having said that this time we didn't use the pool! We stayed at the Sequoia Lodge and the pool wasn't open til 3pm each afternoon (not sure what time it closed) - somehow we never managed to co-ordinate our times so that we had a nap and a swim!
One tip, if you aren't thinking of staying in the main hotel at Sequoia Lodge the nearest lodge is Yellowstone (if you request it when booking they will do their best to put you there), we've stayed there twice now, really convenient for the main hotel and the swimming pool (and quiet).

wedreamofdisney
08-02-2009, 07:26 AM
We stayed at Davy Crockett last September for 4 nights 5days, we used the pool once on the day we were leaving as needed to get Hubby and Kids out of my hair when I packed.
The parks were closing at 7pm so didn't have chance to nip back in the Day. If I had paid for a hotel simply because it had a pool I would have found it a waste of money.

Dollyrar
08-02-2009, 07:41 AM
I would say for a first trip don't bother, as there is lots to do first time around. For subsequent visits, it is nice to have an afternoon dip to rest tired tootsies :)

lilacgems23
08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
We had a pool last year and we didnt need it, we used it once and this was only because we forced ourselves as we felt we should use it. Even though the park closed early at 7pm we still didnt have enough time or even energy as we found there was soo much to do in the parks.

buttercup1982
08-02-2009, 10:24 AM
We are staying at the NBC and I'm not sure if we will get chance to use the pool but have packed swimming costumes anyway. :goodvibes I don't think I would be dissapointed if I never used the pool as we picked the hotel because we have stayed previously and loved the hotel. I don't think I would pay more just for a pool though :confused3

jillrobinson
08-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Have never managed to find time for swimming, even during our week stay at the NPB, the 1 day we purposely got back at the hotel early to use the pool everyone fell asleep :rotfl2:
My feeling is that we could go swimming at home - any time not spent in the park I prefer to be shopping in the Village, eating in the restaurants or chilling at the bar. :)

tennisfan
08-02-2009, 11:19 AM
We have only used the pool a couple of times & that was at the HNY, it was during the summer so we had a swim before going to see the fireworks etc.

I probably wouldn't pay extra for the pool but it is always a nice extra if its there

Ware Bears
08-03-2009, 04:59 PM
It took until our third visit before we used the pool even though we took our cossies every time!

I'm also of the opinion that if your chosen hotel has a pool then that's great but if it hasn't then don't change just in case you might go as you probably won't find time on a first trip!