PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever made your pirate costume?

cpdrn7
08-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I have been looking on line for a while now and just cant seem to justify the
price tag. I was wondering if it that hard or costly to just go out and make my own.
Anyone try this? Success pictures?

Mickey527
08-01-2009, 06:52 PM
My son bought a really nice costume from Oriental Trader for about $25 that he used today for a promotion they were doing at his Trader Joe's store. It didn't come with a hat but I found one in Clearwater at a costume shop for $7. I also bought boot covers at the costume store for $20. because the costume ones were cheap looking.
I am going to make a pirate costume for my grandson this Halloween. I checked out the patterns and can't justify paying $16.95 for a pattern so I found a See & Sew pajama pattern that is basicaly the same shape and bought it for $2.99.
I am making him a pair of black pants and a long sleeve jacket and he will wear a t-shirt underneath. I also bought some red fabric to make a sash belt.
The PJ pattern I bought has elastic waist pants and a V-neck long sleeve top that buttons down the front. I am going to make the top longer so he can belt it and it will look like a jacket with the sash around his belt. I found some cute skull and crossbones fabric that has a black background with white skull and some red scarfs on the skull heads.
I am going to look in Salvation army or Goodwill for a long sleeve shirt but but if I can't find any I will just let him wear the long sleeve t-shirt and make a frilly thing to attach to the front and some frills for the bottom of the sleeve. I think this will be easier.
I bought a kids hat from a store in Clearwater Beach when I was there last week.

snarlingcoyote
08-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I have an all purpose wench costume: A drawstring peasant blouse worn under a black wenchy corset with an old brown prairie skirt. That's my basic wench costume.

For pirate I add a pair of little black lace up boots (they work well for playing fairy, witch or pirate), then I wear some heavy old Afghan jewelery around my neck, paired with big gold hoops in my ears. I curl my hair and tease it out, then put in a bright bandana. If it's hot out, I throw on a brightly colored shawl. If it's cooler, I have an old military style jacket with buttons missing and lots and lots of wear.

Add a pewter mug or a fake sword and I'm ready to go. I might add a hat this year if I do pirate though. . .

sameyeyam
08-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes, red or black sweat pants, a striped red & white or black & white shirt and hat and accessories from Dollar Tree. Old handkerchief I found in DH's dresser. Got the sweat pants and striped shirts at Target.:thumbsup2 Plus the added bonus, pants and shirt are wearable afterwards and not once have I been mistaken for a pirate without the accessories.;)

jasmom
08-01-2009, 08:06 PM
I made my son a pirate costume last halloween. He had jeans with the knee out of one leg. I cut it off at the knee and I cut the other leg a little longer, then I fraid (spelling) and tore them a bit. He had a white shirt that was looking old. I ripped it up a little and made it look dirty with a brown crayon. He wore a bandana on his head that I got at the dollar store with a skull and cross bones on it and a toy sword in a loop on the jeans. He is going to wear it this year at MNSSHP. He also had an aya patch. I am going to make the rest of the family a pirat costume too.(my DH just doesn't know yet)

LisaG
08-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Take an old pair of black knit/yoga pants and make a jagged egde around the bottom of each leg. Pair with a striped t-shirt and a sash around the hip area. Add a bandana on your head and big hoop earrings. This is what the CMs did on a Halloween Disney Cruise I took in 2004. They were all dressed like this and it was easy and effective.

skip323
08-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Yes... dd wanted to be a pirate last year. We purchased black sweats from Target (sale..maybe $3.00). We also purchased a fake sword. Then we went to goodwill and found a dress shirt with a front that had large, layered ruffles in the women's section. We belted that and then added on a men's dress vest (also purchased at goodwill). Put a bandana on her head. It was a really cool costume!! I don't think I have pics but if I find one I will post it!

rcraw45425
08-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I made DDs pirate costume for the Halloween party in '06:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/rcraw45425/September06011.jpg

buzz5985
08-02-2009, 01:51 AM
I made DDs pirate costume for the Halloween party in '06:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l280/rcraw45425/September06011.jpg

Awesome job!!!

Before POTC, we went to WDW during the Halloween Party. I went to Salvation army and bought DH and DS kaki pants, which we ripped at the knees, found a shirt for DS (was for girls) with bell bottomed sleeves, puckered cotton shirt, a vest, same for DH used rope for a belt, put neckerchiefs on their heads, and eye patches. Had a blast.

DawnM
08-02-2009, 06:05 AM
I made my boys pirate costumes a couple of years ago and they still wear them for play.

I really need to learn how to post pics....I have been somewhat successful but they come out really tiny. I need to try again.

Anyway, it was pretty easy. I made a sash from red material......a long 6" wide sewn up strait edge and turned inside out. They put it on their waist and tie it at the end. I made the same material into a bandana. Then I took a felt black material and cut a vest.....I only sewed the seams, not around the edges....it actually looked really cool after a wash....it didn't fray, but it looked kind of jagged, rustic.

I had them wear black pants and carry a sword.

One thing I did, that I realize many can't do (and you certainly don't need it) is I have a sewing machine that embroiders, so I embroidered some pirate things on their costumes.

Dawn

SaraMc
08-02-2009, 07:30 AM
I made one for DH after pirates 1 came out in theatres. It took me a while, but I found a pattern for a naval captian and went from there. I found some discounted red cordory and made the jacket out of that and then washed the material in dilouted brown dye to make it look dirty. I actually found a shirt at a store ( old navy I think) that was a women's blouse that had a neck that tied up with a leather string, bought it as big as possible for him and cut up the sleeves to loose the poofy look it had and make it look more like a pirate. The pattern had several types of pants but we went for the pants that go to your knee and I just used a brown cotton, very simple with an elastic waist.
Now, we used three diffrent belts and a woman's scarf around his waist and he actually has a sword so we attached that.
He wore a kilt to our wedding so he wore is kilt socks with his costume and we found some old shoes and we made them look more worn from a second hand store. He wore a wig and we added beads and bones to it with a headband like captian jack... some black eyeliner, brown eyeshadow all over to make him dirty looking.
He also had a goatee at the time and he grew it a bit so we could add beads to it...

the hardest thing for me to sew was the jacket. I was ok till I got to the cuffs on the sleeves.
It took a few weeks but it looked great.

Im looking for a photo, but that was before we went digital...

Nette
08-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Here's ours from 06. I just went to goodwill and found black floppy pants and white frilly shirts and accessories. Super cheap I think all three costumes were about $15

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v5205/90/49/848279193/n848279193_2064001_173565.jpg

Actually DH's "vest" was a button down suede-like shirt that I cut the sleeves off. :)

Plantlady
08-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Here are my boys from a couple halloween's ago. I made these costumes.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/57609170_be31a28d61.jpg

cpdrn7
08-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh, these are such good ideas...please keep them coming. I think I am going to the Salvation Army tomorrow and see what I can find. It is awesome for me to see the pictures! Thanks so much!!

IMALOVNDISNEY
08-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Here's ours from 06. I just went to goodwill and found black floppy pants and white frilly shirts and accessories. Super cheap I think all three costumes were about $15

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v5205/90/49/848279193/n848279193_2064001_173565.jpg

Actually DH's "vest" was a button down suede-like shirt that I cut the sleeves off. :)

This is what we did as well. I went to Goodwill and Salvation Army on 1/2 off days and outfitted 9 people. Plus, add a few accessories from home or Walmart. The entire thing cost less than $25.00 for all of us. And I have to say we looked good. We got several comments at the MNSSHP.

princessmom29
08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I bought the petti under this at the disney store, got the tights and shoes at walmart, we had the tiara from Libby Lu, and I made the rest.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn275/princessmom29/DSCF0137.jpg

Debbie-TN
08-02-2009, 11:44 PM
This is my Captain Jack Sparrow costume from 2 years ago. I made every piece of it, even ordered dreds and added them to store bought wig. The only thing I didn't made was the compass, sword, and pistol. I even made the facial hair. I never had so much fun making and wearing a costume. It was a lot of work, but so worth it. It took a long time to figure out that it was me(see the real me in my avatar).

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/Epcotfans/IMG_0684.jpg