PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a prepaid or Pay-as-you-go Cell phone?

Tina
08-01-2009, 01:08 PM
I have a friend visiting the US from Australia later this year. She'll be here for 6 weeks, traveling across the country. The cost to use her Aussie phone here is too expensive. Can anyone tell me about prepaid phones that may be an option for her?

Where to buy?
Which companies provide cell service?
Cost to buy the phone?
Cost to pay for calls? All US calls included? Or will she need to use "roaming"?

S. C.
08-01-2009, 02:17 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2245249

lidec
08-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I bought my son a virgin mobile phone. $10.00 at walmart and a $15.00 card good for 3 mos. You can go to virgin mobiles web site and check it out. Minutes are 20cents per minute until you use up the card. Theres other programs too.

heathere3
08-01-2009, 07:27 PM
We use both AT&T prepaid and Virgin Mobile prepaid. I love my VM, but they don't have coverage over part of our long (700 mile) drive home which we make several times a year. That's why DH has AT&T. They're both good, so my advice is to check the coverage maps for where your friend will be travelling. All the info on that is on the companies websites.

maxiesmom
08-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a tracfone, at it works great!:thumbsup2 You can usually find one for around $20. When calling long distance it seems that you just use double the number of minutes you typically would. I used mine to call home (Michigan) from Florida, and had no problems with it at all.

jasmom
08-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I,m thinking of getting 2 tracphones for at disney. It doesn't make sense for us to use our Canadian cell phones. You can get a phone on their website with 20 mins for $10.

DISboardser
08-02-2009, 02:39 AM
How exciting. I went with Virgin. A $15 phone from walmart. I went online and activated it and then did the put in my credit card info thing and they gave me $5.00 free on my account and I paid $6.99 monthly to keep it alive and got 10 cents a minute and I paid for $10.00 worth up front.

You could buy the phone for $15.00, go online and do the thingy and pay the 6.99 and put $20 on there and they give you the 5.....

your friend would have 250 minutes...that's over 4 hours of talking. And lets hope she'll be spending her time enjoying the scenery - not talking on the cellphone.

SKWDW
08-02-2009, 04:21 AM
We have one regular cell and one Tracfone. You can usually find a Tracfone for around $20 at Target or Wal-Mart.

Just have your friend register it in the area she is going to use it the most. Calls from that area will be single units/minutes. When she calls from out of area, it uses double units/minutes.

My only caveat is that most of the pay-as-you-go plans are US calls only. Hopefully she wants to use it to call people here in the US and not call back home.

macfinn
08-02-2009, 05:36 PM
dw and i have trac-phones, they are great and have great service, have her get the double minute phone. best place to buy is walmart and you can go right to trac phone website to buy minutes.....hope this helps

thebeesknees
08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a Net-10 phone and the coverage is great. I renew for 10 cents a minute online. Easy-peasy. The one I ordered came with 300 minutes, plus 300 bonus minutes, so all told it was $30 for the phone and 600 minutes. I renew every couple of months and still have tons of minutes leftover.