PDA

View Full Version : What kind of MP3 player for kids>

castleview
08-01-2009, 09:11 AM
DD10 wants her own Ipod for her birthday - I'm thinking an Ematic (spelling) or something much less expensive. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Princess Nancy
08-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Our first MP3 players were not Ipods. We bought Crative Zens.
I really regret that decision.
The whole Ipod download is so seamless and easy for the kids.
The cost for downloads and aggravation totally negated any $ savings on the MP3.

Look on the apple website at the refurbished Ipods and get one there. All of ours have come form them with no problem. You still get a 1 year warranty and the ipod looks brand new.

Good Luck.

castleview
08-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the advice. I just checked the refurbished IPOD shuffles and they were starting at $40-$60. That works for me! :)

victorandbellasmom
08-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I'd spend the extra money and upgrade to the refurbished nano's for $99. That way they can add videos and have more control on the songs they are listening too. Both my kids have had their ipods since they were in 2nd grade. The ease of use is awesone.

PatsGirl
08-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree with the previous posters. I bought DD the Disney Flix type MP3 player and fiddled with it for weeks and then bought her an Ipod Nano for $150 -- much easier but I do "get" the price difference. If she is a responsible 10 yo and will take care of it, I'd definately go with an Ipod, shuffle or Nano, whatever your wallet can handle:)

littlele
08-01-2009, 02:41 PM
DD, now 10, had a shuffle for a few years and never used it, because she couldn't pick the songs she wanted to hear. Now has the nano and worth every single penny. Listens to it every night on the iHome and uses it while jogging, cleaning and traveling.

Also had a Sansa for her a while back and she didn't care for it either. Itunes is just too easy to use!

bigbabyblues
08-01-2009, 02:59 PM
DS8 has a refurbed Ipod Nano that he got for Christmas last year. So far, so good.....he's taken really good care of it, although DH does the loading of songs for him.

Both of our boys started out with the Fisher Price FP3 player, to see how they would do. It wasn't the best, but it gave them something to take care of, keep track of, etc. DS6 is still happy with the FP3.

castleview
08-01-2009, 05:39 PM
DD, now 10, had a shuffle for a few years and never used it, because she couldn't pick the songs she wanted to hear. Now has the nano and worth every single penny. Listens to it every night on the iHome and uses it while jogging, cleaning and traveling.

Also had a Sansa for her a while back and she didn't care for it either. Itunes is just too easy to use!

I need some education. I thought the shuffle was an IPOD that held fewer songs than the Nano. Can they not download off of Itunes with it? TIA :)

victorandbellasmom
08-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I need some education. I thought the shuffle was an IPOD that held fewer songs than the Nano. Can they not download off of Itunes with it? TIA :)

A shuffle is an IPOD and completely compatible with itunes. However, it is its names, it shuffles your song into a completely random playlist. You can not choose to listen to a certain album or a certain artist. It'll scramble all your songs in no particular order.

Which is why I think a nano is more practical to your average kid. They get to choose the artist they want to listen to, or a particular album or even their own playlist. They have more control of what song will play next.

princessmom29
08-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I would just sprin for the Nano. You will most likely end up buying one eventually anyway as they are the way everything is going.

cvjw
08-01-2009, 06:43 PM
We too, wasted money on other MP3 players for the kids. They only wanted IPODS. When they finally got the IPODS, they were totally happy. We have had each generation of Nano, a couple of shuffles, and a Touch. All are still working, the Touch is their favorite. My oldest got his at age 12, and the younger wants one for his birthday next month when he turns 10.