PDA

View Full Version : Kids Glasses ????

kmk160
07-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Just found out yesterday that DD, 3, needs glasses.
I kind of figured that was going to happen to had no idea that her eye was as bad as it really is.
Anyway, the glasses are ordered. Question I have is for those of you with children who need glasses..
do you have a spare pair?
Do you think its necessary?
This is all very new to me so I appreciate any help that you can offer.

mickeyboat
07-31-2009, 10:44 AM
DD9 has worn glasses since she was 6, and we do have a spare pair. She has broken them / lost lenses out of them before while sliding and ice skating. She also stepped on them once and had to have them repaired. She really hates not having them, because she can't see well at all.

The last pair we bought her was the kinds you could twist, and those have held up very well - no problems in a year.

Denae

Deffenm
07-31-2009, 10:58 AM
DS8 has had glasses since he was 3. We have a spair pair plus in the last year we have bought him (Rec Specs). They are sports gogles. He wears them during the summer, during soccer, and when he is playing outside. He only wears his real glasses when he is in school or sitting at home watching TV or reading.

He is very rough on glasses and breaks them easily (multiple times a year) but the Rec Specs he has trouble breaking. :laughing:

linda0706
07-31-2009, 11:40 AM
My DD9 has worn glasses since before she turned 2. We've never had a spare pair and never had any need for one.

She doesn't play sports though, and is not very "dare-devilish" so we never really had a fear of her destroying them.

We always figured that if something happened, we can get another pair by the next day at our local Lenscrafters.

Bastiansmom
07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
My son got glasses 4 months before his 5th birthday. Neither my husband nor myself have any vision problems, so we had no idea he had any problems. We were shocked when we took him in and the told us how bad his eyes were (+8 now +8.5). At first we were kind of upset about it (how would he look in glasses?, would other kids make fun of him?, etc), but once he got his new glasses, we found out what a blessing the "diagnosis" was. It definitely helped him to be more out going, helped him to focus on his work at school,(before that he was often in his "own little world") and helped with him with his penmanship. Since his eyes are really bad, we have never had a problem with him taking them off. We even let him sleep in them now so he can see during the night/ when we wakes up.

As far as the "bendable/twisty" glasses go, I would not recommend them for a child your daughter's age. We have some for my son now (his primary pair) and they drive us crazy! His glasses have to be bent around his ears for two reasons: 1 so they will stay on better, and 2 because the frames are too long and his glasses slide down his nose. Guess what?? You can't bend bendable glasses around the ears because the bend right back! We've had to go get these glasses professionally adjusted twice, in which they had to cut part of his frames to make them fit better.

We were able to get him 2 pairs of glasses relatively cheap at Eyemasters.
They usually have 2 pairs of kids glasses for around $100 or so. We had never done it, because we get a lot of "upgrades" on his glasses, but I realized the last time we bought glasses we could get a second, basic pair for around $20. We also got him a pair of prescription goggles online at www.aclens.com. They were less than $40 w/ S&H. We really like them, except for the fact that they are tinted pretty dark.

This has been my longest post (by far), but I would like to add one more thing...kind of a vent. At his last Drs Appt before getting glasses (probably his 4yr old checkup) he was having a lot of trouble identifying the little pictures the Dr was pointing to. Instead of attributing this to a vision problem, she told us we need to discipline him! He wasn't doing anything to be disciplined for.. he was looking at a piece of paper and couldn't see anything, so he didn't respond..... needless to say she wasn't our pediatrician after that!

BelleBeautyandtheBeast
07-31-2009, 02:04 PM
You may or may not need a spare pair.

My DD got glasses just before her 2nd birthday and has broke them often. In the past year she has gone through 4 pair (at age 9!).

My oldest son got glasses at age 5 and has never needed a spare pair. At last year's exam he asked to not even order a new pair (prescription had not changed).

My DS is conservative and easy going, while the princess :rotfl: is high maintenance and a dare devil.

:3dglasses

jas_mom1
07-31-2009, 02:31 PM
My DS10 has had glasses since before his 5th birthday. We always go to a small optical store a few towns away. The woman who fits/adjusts the glasses is great and worth the extra money we spend on the glasses. At first, we got his spare pair at BJ's or Target when they were having a sale.

Each year (or 1.5 years) when he gets a new prescription, we save the old pair as a back-up. Yes, they are going to be smaller and a different prescription, but at his age, it's not worth getting a new back-up. We are able to get them fixed/adjusted very quickly so it's not a big deal to us. He keeps them in his backpack at school so that when they break at school, I don't have to leave work to bring them to him. (Can you tell this has happened before?)

We just got him sport glasses for him to wear when playing baseball and basketball. He's a catcher so he was having trouble removing the face mask/helmet quickly without disturbing his glasses. Hopefully, this will keep his new glasses in one piece for a long time.

You know your child best. Personally, we needed a back-up pair. But we never spent much on them as they were only used when necessary.

Dianne

tinkermom23
07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Get a spare... or two!!
DS9 has had glasses for 3 yrs. and we have had to replace them 6 times!!! He looses them all the time because even though they are bifocals, the Dr. told hime he didn't need to wear them at lunch or recess, or riding bike, or watching TV..... so, he got in the habit of taking them off all the time. When we find an old pair, we save those for a spare, since our insurance will only cover one pair per year. Currently, he has lost all TV priviledges until he finds his glasses!!! Grrrrrr:sad2:

JoiseyMom
07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
It depends onthe child. I never needed them for my older 2 DS's, but for my DD13 OMG!! She is just not responsible! The puppy got ahold of htem the other day, and I will bring it back to our office, but I am going to Walmart tonight to get her that cheap spare pair!!