PDA

View Full Version : No solicitors sign - does anyone have one?

DVCBELLE
07-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I know times are tough and people are trying to market any way they know how but I have been BOMBARDED by door to door soliciting lately and I have had ENOUGH!!

In the past few weeks I have had two guys selling magazines - both claiming it was to go on a trip for college - a communication class and they had to earn points and they got those points when I ordered magazines. When I told them my kids sell magazines and no thank you - they got belligerent and one told me that I could send them to his mom and she would buy from them in return. Yea - I am believing that :rolleyes:

We have had several political solicitations (which I don't mind in campaign season but right now is a bit ridiculous), someone selling windows, lawn care, rounds of golf, a financial service guy and some guys walking around right now but I got home once they had passed my house - I was surprised they didn't come back.

What I don't mind but hardly ever get are Girl Scouts, the high school band, a soccer team, etc.

So anyway - I would like to put a sign on our door to stop the people from ringing my doorbell. But I also want to make sure that the kids in the neighborhood know that they are still welcome to knock on our door. OH - and if some of them are ambitious enough to ring my doorbell and ask if they can shovel my driveway or rake my leaves then I definitely want them to ask!!

But the professional door to door stuff has got to stop. Does anyone have a sign that works or any ideas!?!?

Thanks!!

mickeymaker2003
07-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I started asking those going door to door where they live. The first time I asked some guys selling magazines, they said Indianapolis (and I live in central IL). If they don't live on my block, I don't buy from them.

Chelley00
07-30-2009, 07:18 PM
We just printed out a "no soliciting" sign from our computer and hung it up. Just be aware that some door to door people apparently can't read, because they still ring our doorbell :)

pilotwife_02
07-30-2009, 07:24 PM
I hate that too! Seems like they always come when my boys are napping. I swear I'm going to print up a sign that says "children napping, you wake them, you stay to help put them back to sleep!"

smylie1
07-30-2009, 07:25 PM
We had a guy come around our neighborhood selling windows. DH said we really did need them and agreed to talk to the guy. He took our information and said that a 'manager' would be calling us within 30 mins. He proceeded to tell us how we needed to make sure we would both be home for the appointment that he would get in trouble if he set up the appointment and no one was here. We got the phone call from the so-called manager who used the same line on us. Guess HIS manager would be mad if we weren't home too! So they were supposed to be here the next day at 6pm. 6 came, then 6:30, then 7...no window guys! They stood us up!!!! To top that, they have called multiple times a day everyday since then!!! We won't answer the phone.

surfergirl602
07-30-2009, 07:30 PM
there seem to be no soliciting posts popping up everywhere over the past few weeks! We were being bombarded with them as well, so what I did was print off a sign, put it in a sheet protector and taped it to the front of my door. It basically states no soliciting, no trespassing, and lists everything included, like political, religious, food, sales, etc. so far, we've been solicitor free for the past few weeks, knock on wood!

richs52
07-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Here is my answer to the various people that come to my door -

When I hear the bell, I look out the window. If I don't know who the person is, I don't answer the door.

Works like a charm! ;)

kathyell
07-30-2009, 07:48 PM
I also have a homemade sign on my door, because it was just out of control in the neighborhood we recently moved to. My sign says "no soliciting" at the top and then I have something like, "We do not make purchases, change our political opinions, or switch religions for anyone who comes to the door, so please save both of us time and energy and move on. Thank you and have a good day."

When my daughter is napping I put out a door hanger my mother-in-law gave me that says "child sleeping" on it.

It is a rare individual who rings the bell or knocks anyway, and when I do answer for the people who do, I like to have a friendly conversation with them about why they ignored the sign and whether they thought I was kidding about it just being a waste of both of our time. Most of them profess not to have seen the sign (eye level, written partially in red ink, on paper whose width is nearly half the width of the front door, so I always wonder exactly how blind they are to have not seen it.)

After the first part of the conversation, I like to chit-chat to them for several minutes (literally, just chit chat...about the weather or the type of shoes they're wearing or whether they think the Broncos have a chance next season, whatever inane thing I can think of to say) and waste as much of their time as I can. Usually they end up trying valiantly to end the conversation with me as they walk backwards down my walk. One of them nearly backed right down the stairs and fell he wanted to go so badly, but I guess he felt bad just turning and leaving. I'm very friendly as I do all this, even though I think I'd be very justified to be angry at my wishes being ignored.

So some of the solicitors might come once...but I betcha they won't come a second time. ;)

Hoppy
07-30-2009, 08:18 PM
No paper sign here, I had an engraved one made at the local sports shop. It is attached directly above my doorbell.

Apparently, there are lots of people who can not read this days. Sorry, but if I don't know you and you come knocking at my door with any pamphlet...that's solicitation to me.

Perhaps I'll paste something over the doorbell:)

ClarabelleCowFan
07-30-2009, 08:19 PM
We actually had a neighbor come to the door with his 2 small children the other day. His THREE year old was selling some frozen pizza kits out of a catalog as a fundraiser for his PRESCHOOL. :eek:

I'm sorry but if I pay a weekly fee for my child to go to a private "for profit" preschool like they do then there is no way I am going door to door selling stuff for them. How insane is that?

I declined and told them that my 2 daughters would be selling the same type of stuff next month when their public schools started and I would have to buy from my own kids.

When a solicitor comes to the door I try to quickly cut off their spiel and tell them we aren't interested. The ones we get the most want to sell us windows and I just tell them we are military and moving in a few months so that we aren't going to be making any big purchases for a house we are about to sell. That usually works.

omghidanielle
07-30-2009, 08:30 PM
The biggest problem in my neighborhood are MENUS!

Everyday, when I get home, I have to pick take-out menus out of the cracks in my screen door, from under my doorhandle, under my door, in between my front door and screen door, out of my mailbox, even between my GUTTER PIPE and the wall! They are everywhere!

I keep saying I'm going to make a sign that says WE ARE NOT GOING TO EAT YOUR FOOD, STOP LEAVING YOUR MENUS!

but I forget once I walk in the door and put on my PJs :lmao:

JerseyMamaBear
07-30-2009, 08:49 PM
The biggest problem in my neighborhood are MENUS!

Everyday, when I get home, I have to pick take-out menus out of the cracks in my screen door, from under my doorhandle, under my door, in between my front door and screen door, out of my mailbox, even between my GUTTER PIPE and the wall! They are everywhere!

I keep saying I'm going to make a sign that says WE ARE NOT GOING TO EAT YOUR FOOD, STOP LEAVING YOUR MENUS!

but I forget once I walk in the door and put on my PJs :lmao:

ohhh that bug me too! my mom wound up calling the police one nights about 8 or 9 years ago when they went door to door trying to hand them to you. When my mom told him she was not interested the guy tried stuffing it into the door as my mom was shutting it but instead of making it in the door it dropped to the ground. With the storm door shut he proceeded to open the screen door and jam it in there. And just stand there. My mom was home alone and so freaked out she called the police. They wound up finding him a few doors down and made him clean up all of the flyers he left in not just doors but in mailboxes as well.

GoofyMomInOhio
07-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Our city has a Do Not Disturb registry for solicitors, etc. unless it is for schools or that type of thing. We are on it and have a sign on our door but they still bug us. They also have to have a permit from the city and most of them when I tell them that, they turn around and walk away.

PrincessMom4
07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
We've everything from energy marketors to sales people to religious groups and no one has EVER knocked!!

omghidanielle
07-30-2009, 08:58 PM
ohhh that bug me too! my mom wound up calling the police one nights about 8 or 9 years ago when they went door to door trying to hand them to you. When my mom told him she was not interested the guy tried stuffing it into the door as my mom was shutting it but instead of making it in the door it dropped to the ground. With the storm door shut he proceeded to open the screen door and jam it in there. And just stand there. My mom was home alone and so freaked out she called the police. They wound up finding him a few doors down and made him clean up all of the flyers he left in not just doors but in mailboxes as well.

ughhhhhh that's so crazy

it's so common in my neighborhood, I used to not mind, because, every once in a while I'd get one from the 1 Chinese place and the 2 Pizza shops I frequent, but now it's like everyone owns a Pizza place! It's getting crazy!

Halloweenqueen
07-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Two weeks ago I had two men come to my door asking what security company we use. I told them I didn't give out that information, but would take a brochure. They say they have nothing I can keep, but show me a printed out diagram of a generic security system.

I immediatley shut the door on them. Two nights ago I'm eating dinner and the door rings. My husband goes to the door and once again, two men ask who is monitoring our security system. My husband begins to explain we have a security system, but are not currently being monitored. I can't believe it and call out to my husband to tell them we aren't interested. He just stands there, listening to the two guys.

I had to get up and shut the door myself! My husband thinks I was being rude and I think I was just being cautious. (I don't know if they were the same two men)

Who would go around sellilng systems or monitoring and not even have a business card?

soccerchick
07-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Two weeks ago I had two men come to my door asking what security company we use. I told them I didn't give out that information, but would take a brochure. They say they have nothing I can keep, but show me a printed out diagram of a generic security system.

I immediatley shut the door on them. Two nights ago I'm eating dinner and the door rings. My husband goes to the door and once again, two men ask who is monitoring our security system. My husband begins to explain we have a security system, but are not currently being monitored. I can't believe it and call out to my husband to tell them we aren't interested. He just stands there, listening to the two guys.

I had to get up and shut the door myself! My husband thinks I was being rude and I think I was just being cautious. (I don't know if they were the same two men)

Who would go around sellilng systems or monitoring and not even have a business card?

The scarier thing is they now know your alarm system isn't a monitored alarm system!

soccerchick
07-30-2009, 09:46 PM

When I hear the bell, I look out the window. If I don't know who the person is, I don't answer the door.

Works like a charm! ;)

Yeah, except that they've rung the doorbell two times and woken the napping kids!

TnTWalter
07-31-2009, 04:28 AM
I had one...thanks for reminding me I need to make a new one....it really worked. I printed it and hung in a picture frame above doorbell.

It just simply said 'No Solicition Please' Thank you. And frankly I'm ok if it keeps away the kids I don't know....man the neighbor kids will break you. LOL.

There were many times that I would catch someone walking away from the house, say 'May I help you'. and they would respond 'I saw the sign.' Woo Hoo!!

:thumbsup2

aubriee
07-31-2009, 04:57 AM

Works like a charm! ;)

That's what I do, plus I have an 80 lb akita that will be at the door growling like mad trying to get out to them. He usually discourages anyone from trying to ring the bell a second time.:rotfl:

ELLE-TN
07-31-2009, 07:05 AM
Funny thing I found tis thread as I have been considering making business cards saying pretty much the same thing for sales people & religious organizations. Twice in one week recently the same sales person was knocking at my door at 7:50 AM (both on rare days that we could sleep in which doesn't happen often). The first time I was polite and told him we were not interested.... the 2nd time I opened the door (in my nightgown) and yelled at him to disappear and not come back. For Pete's sake who goes door to door selling stuff that early in the morning.

Mickeypooh99
07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
We had a really nice no soliciting sign, and someone stole it! It was on a post at the top of the driveway. You can't see our house from the road, so we wanted to stop them before they pull in. We are usually outside in the summer so a sign on the door doesn't help. They dug it up out of the ground and everything. :headache: We haven't replaced it yet, and this summer has been the worst!

I know someone who has a beware of dog sign, and they don't even have a dog. :rotfl2: It keeps solicitors away.

eeyorethegreat
07-31-2009, 07:31 AM
We actually had a neighbor come to the door with his 2 small children the other day. His THREE year old was selling some frozen pizza kits out of a catalog as a fundraiser for his PRESCHOOL. :eek:

I'm sorry but if I pay a weekly fee for my child to go to a private "for profit" preschool like they do then there is no way I am going door to door selling stuff for them. How insane is that?

I declined and told them that my 2 daughters would be selling the same type of stuff next month when their public schools started and I would have to buy from my own kids.

When a solicitor comes to the door I try to quickly cut off their spiel and tell them we aren't interested. The ones we get the most want to sell us windows and I just tell them we are military and moving in a few months so that we aren't going to be making any big purchases for a house we are about to sell. That usually works.

I work for a Non-Profit Pre School/Pre K (I am a qualified teacher) I can't even tell you how sick I am of all the fundraisers we have to do. Yes, I am expected to participate in every one. I must donate items for raffles, auction, buy from the fund raisers we sell and give up my weekend and evenings for these fundraisers (I do not get extra pay for this and my salary is comparable to my college minimum wage job 15 year ago) . I do not however go door to door I refuse to actively push these fundraisers on others especially given the area we live in where many people are simply out of work. I need a new job- it was convenience when I took it a few years ago but it is really getting out of hand in so many ways.

We don't get many solicitors to our door though yesterday a guy with a truck and a freezer in the back tried to sell my husband meat.

BeckyScott
07-31-2009, 07:32 AM
Having a dog does help get you out of that stuff. Doesn't even have to be a big scary dog. Just a medium dog that won't shut up. The noise level is enough that they can't pitch their wares.

One trick we learned by accident but worked well. DH once answered the door to some religion peddlers. In nothing but his underwear. And he has lotsa tattoos. ;) Flung open the door and said "What do you want?" and they skedaddled right back down the stairs and off to the next house. I wish he was home all the time, because it was just about the funniest thing I've ever seen. And, you know, I'm not going to open the door in my underwear, I'm sure it would scare people off :lmao: but I'm not quite that brave.

We haven't had anyone come to our door for a while. A couple of locals asking about lawn work earlier this summer, but that's about it. And our house is for sale. So maybe that really does make a difference. I wouldn't exactly suggest putting a For Sale sign in your yard, that could lead to more irritation. Hmmm.

Disneefun
07-31-2009, 07:57 AM
I've got to find a way to keep people from putting tacks and pushpins in my mailbox post. In our neighborhood we all have the same wooden mailbox posts and the "thing" with the solicitors is to tack crap to the mailbox. They can't just put it under the flag or something. No, it has to be tacked to the post. So I end up with a post that's full of holes. Makes me so mad. And it's gotten worse lately with everyone being unemployed, they're all offering to mow my lawn, paint my house, clean, etc. I sympathize that you're out of work, but come on. Maybe I should offer one a job as a mailbox guard. Pay someone to keep others from tacking stuff to my box.

Ava
07-31-2009, 08:08 AM
We live in an apartment building so we don't get too many solicitors, but some do still get in. Mostly older ladies handing out religious pamphlets, who I suspect are friends of our downstairs neighbor, or energy companies. The energy company people are totally shady, I talked to them the first time they came around and they a) wanted my ConEd account number and b) said they didn't have any information they could leave with me and if I wanted to sign up I had to do it right then. Um, no thank you.

The only "soliciting" I don't mind is kids who live in the building doing fundraisers for school/sports/whatever.

poohfriend77
07-31-2009, 08:17 AM
I was making dinner the other day, so DH answered the door for the college girl selling "educational materials for children." Instead of telling her no thanks, he told her his wife made all those decisions, so she'd have to talk to me. I was pretty irritated with him, but he said, Oh she won't be back! Sure enough, she rang the doorbell at 7:50 a.m. the next morning! I was up, but still in jammies. I had to answer the door and tell her my husband was WRONG, we weren't interested and I didn't want to waste her time. Here's where karma kicks in, though. It was DH's day off, and he was trying to sleep in when she rang the doorbell... TWICE! :rotfl:

The worst was the mom and young daughter selling candybars. I bought one for DDs to share, gave them $1, and then asked the girl what school she went to. We have "school's of choice" in our neighborhood, so even kids from our block are spread out at schools all over town. Her mom gets a funny look on her face as the girl tells me she lives in another town!:eek: It's a small blue-collar town 15 miles away, and all the kids in her neighborhood are selling the same stuff, so her mom brought her here to the "nicer neighborhoods" so she could sell more. I REALLY wanted to take my dollar back, but it wasn't the kid's fault. Now I know to ask what school they go to BEFORE I even look at what they're selling. I'm happy to support local kids, but I can't support the whole state! :rotfl2:

BeenHereB4
07-31-2009, 08:30 AM
OMG - what a timely thread!! I just told DH last night that I was putting up a sign. We are getting hammered lately. College kids selling this and that for credit?? Puhleaze! What college are these kids going to because there is no way I'm sending my kids there!

Anyway, the weird thing was last night I saw the guy from my kitchen window. It was 8:30pm. I said, please don't ring, I have three kids here sleeping (one was my baby nephew who is hard to get to sleep). Anyway, he said "are you (insert my name here)?" :eek: I don't know how he knew my name, but I told him I couldn't talk now. I'm sure he'll be back today. Yuck!!

Sign going up right after this post! ;)

clutter
07-31-2009, 08:30 AM
That's what I do, plus I have an 80 lb akita that will be at the door growling like mad trying to get out to them. He usually discourages anyone from trying to ring the bell a second time.:rotfl:

I have two cockapoos, about 50lbs total, throwing themselves against a gate behind the door. They're excited to see someone, but that someone only can see two dogs barking and trying to leap a gate. Of course, solicitors are only treated to that if they decide not to read my no solicitors sign. :lmao:

BeenHereB4
07-31-2009, 08:32 AM
I was making dinner the other day, so DH answered the door for the college girl selling "educational materials for children." Instead of telling her no thanks, he told her his wife made all those decisions, so she'd have to talk to me. I was pretty irritated with him, but he said, Oh she won't be back! Sure enough, she rang the doorbell at 7:50 a.m. the next morning! I was up, but still in jammies. I had to answer the door and tell her my husband was WRONG, we weren't interested and I didn't want to waste her time. Here's where karma kicks in, though. It was DH's day off, and he was trying to sleep in when she rang the doorbell... TWICE! :rotfl:

Wonder if we are neighbors. I had this at my house the other day. And I put it off on DH. :laughing: Got him back for sticking the Optimum cable people on me.

momxx5
07-31-2009, 08:37 AM
In the past month there has been over 5 burglaries in the area. Then we are constantly getting people knocking on the door to power wash, trim trees, put in alarms systems, etc. Our neighbors across the street immediately call the police when someone out of the area is knocking on doors. We live in a small town and the police are usually here by the time the solicitors have made it to only a few homes. The poice are really concerned about people "casing" the neigborhood. The last bunch at the door had a homemade business card, cutoff t-shirt and long dragging shorts, smoking a cigarette and annoyed that I wouldn't take to them. I mean if you are looking to make a contact at least dress the part and try to look professional. That said, the previous week DH had a security system people at the door. He didn't listen to them....not interested, BYE! Then looked them up with the Better Business Bureau....the findings were very interesting and not positive. We are looking into setting up a neigborhood watch so we can stop solicitors from coming too far into the neighborhood.

Alexander
07-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh the advantages to living in the middle of no where, with nothing but 130 acres of corn fields around you gets better day by day!:)

thebeesknees
07-31-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm another one with a "No Soliciting" sign and apparently a lot of people can't read. Now, if it's a kid selling cookies for school, I'm more understanding if there is no parent with them (another thing that bothers me! - Who sends their kid around by themselves to strange houses?) because I figure they don't know what "soliciting" means. But the ones that really bug me are the ones who say, "I saw your sign but I'm not soliciting. I just wanted to give you this (religious literature, ad for lawn mowing, whatever)." How dumb do I look? And if they wake up the baby when they ring the doorbell, heaven help them!

eeyorethegreat
07-31-2009, 09:39 AM

:

Sounds like Southwestern. I bought from them in the past after grilling the kids on their history, how their summer is going, what they are going to school for what they expect to do after college, how their book selling program works and what they expect to get out of it etc. Their inventory really hasn't change over the last 10 years or so just "updated editions" so now I wish them luck and send them on their way.

hsmamato2
07-31-2009, 09:48 AM
hmmmm.soliciting is selling something...not just talking,handing out flyers,etc- so maybe that's why some folks ingore the 'no soliciting' signs when they're technically not 'selling' items....probably a 'DON'T RING THE BELL' sign would work..... although my doorbell is broken anyway,so I don't need one;)

mrsbornkuntry
07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
I hate that too! Seems like they always come when my boys are napping. I swear I'm going to print up a sign that says "children napping, you wake them, you stay to help put them back to sleep!"

I have a wooden plaque I bought when my kids were babies that says "Baby sleeping, be quiet or babysit." It was hanging on my front door and even the UPS guy would knock really gently, it worked like a charm.

Cristy
07-31-2009, 10:32 AM
I made my "NO SOLICITORS" <bold all caps> sign on my computer, printed it out, laminated it and posted it above the door bell near where the handle is on my door. It works like a charm. People don't even leave flyers anymore.

pilesoflaundry
07-31-2009, 10:42 AM
I love running them off so no. But I'm mean :rotfl:

Some people don't even know what no solicitors means. We used to live on base and it's illegal in base housing to solicit door to door. This lady rings my bell at dinner time asking if she can sell me meat out of a truck. I told her she needed to leave because she can't solicit on base. She says to me "I'm not soliciting, I'm selling meat" Oy. So I not so nicely explained what soliciting is and made her leave housing. I asked her who the heck let her in and she said the gate guards. I'm wiling to bet she didn't tell them she was selling door to door.

ClarabelleCowFan
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
I love running them off so no. But I'm mean :rotfl:

Some people don't even know what no solicitors means. We used to live on base and it's illegal in base housing to solicit door to door. This lady rings my bell at dinner time asking if she can sell me meat out of a truck. I told her she needed to leave because she can't solicit on base. She says to me "I'm not soliciting, I'm selling meat" Oy. So I not so nicely explained what soliciting is and made her leave housing. I asked her who the heck let her in and she said the gate guards. I'm wiling to bet she didn't tell them she was selling door to door.

She probably stopped on the way off post to sell some to the guards. :laughing:

pilesoflaundry
07-31-2009, 10:56 AM

They are trying to find out if your system is really active or if the sign or stickers are just up for show. I would be really careful talking to them.

distherapy
07-31-2009, 11:11 AM
I had a friend who sold magazines door to door. The stories he told were heartbreaking (of the way the company treats kids - no sleep, high pressure, etc). Check out http://www.travelingsalescrews.info/ if you want to get freaked out...

here757
07-31-2009, 11:21 AM
LOL we always tell them we rent :rolleyes1
depending on my mood sometimes i answer the door and smile shake my head no and shut it again
my husband made the mistake of donating to the local police dept. now the entire state calls the house! i just hand up on them.
my husband is the nice one that tells them we are not interested.

BeenHereB4
07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Just put my sign up not 1 hour ago and the guy from last night just returned and left!!!!! :cool1::thumbsup2

Here's the thing. I have to go now to get my kids from camp and I'm afraid to leave the darn house!!! This is my oasis - why do I have to deal with these people and this hassle at my oasis?? So not fair. I wish I could get tougher - but they send these baby-faced kids around. Arrrgh! :confused3

Starfish106
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM

We have that here and they come year after year knocking on people's doors that have security stickers.They do the shock selling tecnique "there has been robberies in the past few weeks [not true] and they have been cutting the phone lines to disable the system). The first company was called APX & they had the college kids out ringing doorbells and now it is a company called APC or something. Same spiel and no brochure and saying their system works with ADT, Brinks and another system because they are made by Honeywell. ADT confirmed to my mom their system is NOT made by honeywell. Also their system isn't compatible with ADT (like they claim) and when folks want to go back to ADT they are treated like a new customer because they will need a new system to activate because ADT cannot do anything with the stuff this other company installed.

I had to tell my mom to stop letting these folks in the house (she lives alone but is not elderly). She won't sign anything without me anyway so she calls me to let me speak to them. I tell them ever so nicely that I don't care if you are selling front row seats to witness the return of Christ I do not buy anything from anyone that I did not initiate the contact. Period so you can raise up out of my mom's house thanks. On another board for my area folks would talk about these kids in their neighborhoods selling this stuff. One poster did sign up for the system and proceeded to tell us about he nightmare they went through to get out of the contract in the approved cancellation time. They had to fed-ex their cancellation just to make sure the company got it (and they were not up against the clock either). It was a mess.

So nope....especially when you are selling lies at my door.

Ava
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
hmmmm.soliciting is selling something...not just talking,handing out flyers,etc- so maybe that's why some folks ingore the 'no soliciting' signs when they're technically not 'selling' items....probably a 'DON'T RING THE BELL' sign would work..... although my doorbell is broken anyway,so I don't need one;)
One summer when I was in college I worked for an environmental group going door-to-door asking for people to sign a petition and give a donation. Our supervisors specifically told us to just ignore "No Soliciting" signs because soliciting is selling and we were not selling anything. I was yelled at more than once by people with "No Soliciting" signs on their doors. Because of that I try not to be mean to the young kids who come around door-to-door, I know they're just doing their job & trying to make money.

Pappa Bear
07-31-2009, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=Starfish106;32963523]We have that here and they come year after year knocking on people's doors that have security stickers.They do the shock selling tecnique "there has been robberies in the past few weeks [not true] and they have been cutting the phone lines to disable the system). The first company was called APX & they had the college kids out ringing doorbells and now it is a company called APC or something. Same spiel and no brochure and saying their system works with ADT, Brinks and another system because they are made by Honeywell. ADT confirmed to my mom their system is NOT made by honeywell. Also their system isn't compatible with ADT (like they claim) and when folks want to go back to ADT they are treated like a new customer because they will need a new system to activate because ADT cannot do anything with the stuff this other company installed.QUOTE]

APC is the name of a company that has been going around my area telling people that the police are REQUIRING upgrades to all alarms or the installation of a new one. They pressure less consumer sophisticated people into agreeing to the upgrade, based on the requirement story, and then, after making a mess of their present wiring, up the price. Pay the new price or we won't finish the job.

The consumer reporter for the local paper ripped them a new one last week over their sales practices and complaint record w/the BBB. Your description of their spiel and sales pitch match that article perfectly. The reporter also noted that the company has several names so beware of any outfit sounding anything like this one.

I am under NO obligation to be nice to people ringing my doorbell to annoy me w/presentations I never asked to hear or see. I will nicely ask you to leave once. After that I get mean and NASTY. :mad:

surfergirl602
07-31-2009, 04:24 PM
oh, stay away from the alarm people!! Big scam with them going on around these parts, too.

Blue.Fairy2
07-31-2009, 05:08 PM

Works like a charm! ;)

Ditto!!!! I truly understand the frustration though of mom's who just got the kids down to sleep and the door bell rings or people who work nights and sleep during the day!

I guess we have just been lucky lately.

I think maybe companies are going back to door to door because so many people are joined the do not call list.

SlightlyGoofy
07-31-2009, 05:45 PM
I put up a "No solicitors" sign a long time ago and one day the doorbell rang. I opened the door to find a small girl standing there, pointing at the sign, and she wanted to know what it meant. When I stopped laughing I told her and then assured her that it did not mean her.:rotfl:

When youngsters come to the door all I have to do is tell them that I have six grandkids all selling things and they understand. Not many come around anymore these days with all the horror stories and all. I donate to school programs directly so that they can keep all the money and I do not have to buy a bunch of useless stuff for far more than it is worth.:teacher:

If a grownup salesperson ventures on my porch I just smile broadly and say that I sure would appreciate some company as it has been mighty lonely since my husband lost his job and we are so sad to be losing our home soon. They never linger. :confused3

Slightly Goofy but nobody's fool

Dax
07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
I am thinking of making a sign for my house. While I dont have the issues with the salespeople, I do have the religious groups. They fan out in my neighborhood, usually parking right in front of my house, and come in pairs to the door. I live in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood, and they seem shocked when I open the door. First thing out of my mouth is Not Interested, then they question me, asking if anyone in my house speaks Spanish. I say no, please don't come back. They usually apologize and go. One week, I got 4 knocks on the door. I finally got angry and told them if they come back, I was calling the cops..LOL..havent seen them since. With 5 dogs, every knock riles them up for a good 10-15 min...

I did have a Verizon guy show up once, around 8pm...asking me if I wanted FiOS. When I told him I already had it, he didnt believe me. I told him to go check his records, and closed the door.

A friend of mine had a sign hand made, saying someone in the house was ill, and that unless they had a scheduled appt, that they should not knock on the door. She said it worked...as the No Soliciting sign didnt work.

reginaastralis
08-01-2009, 08:42 AM
We have that here and they come year after year knocking on people's doors that have security stickers.They do the shock selling tecnique "there has been robberies in the past few weeks [not true] and they have been cutting the phone lines to disable the system). The first company was called APX & they had the college kids out ringing doorbells and now it is a company called APC or something. Same spiel and no brochure and saying their system works with ADT, Brinks and another system because they are made by Honeywell. ADT confirmed to my mom their system is NOT made by honeywell. Also their system isn't compatible with ADT (like they claim) and when folks want to go back to ADT they are treated like a new customer because they will need a new system to activate because ADT cannot do anything with the stuff this other company installed.

This happened to me over a month ago. This kid came to my door telling me that robbers are cutting the phone lines ... blah blah blah. I live alone, and felt like telling him that it went to my cell phone, but didn't even want to bother with it. Instead, I told him my husband deals with all of that information, and we were happy with what we had ... a little lie never hurt anyone.

It's just creepy when they come to your house asking insanely personal questions. You know they are just trying to get information out of you.

kidsicet
08-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I haven't read all of the posts, but I printed a "no soliciting" sign from the internet (I googled "free printable signs"). It worked some, but people kept ringing the doorbell. It made me mad, so one time when I was in the middle of making dinner and some guy rang the door bell, I pointed to the sign. He told me he wasn't soliciting, but was canvassing, so if I didn't want canvassing, I should add it to the sign. I wrote that on the sign, and since then, we only have people we know ring our door bell! :cool1:

here757
08-01-2009, 09:23 AM
I've got to find a way to keep people from putting tacks and pushpins in my mailbox post. In our neighborhood we all have the same wooden mailbox posts and the "thing" with the solicitors is to tack crap to the mailbox. They can't just put it under the flag or something. No, it has to be tacked to the post. So I end up with a post that's full of holes. Makes me so mad. And it's gotten worse lately with everyone being unemployed, they're all offering to mow my lawn, paint my house, clean, etc. I sympathize that you're out of work, but come on. Maybe I should offer one a job as a mailbox guard. Pay someone to keep others from tacking stuff to my box.

when u find the postings on ur box.. call the post office and let them know..
its illegal to put thing on or in a box!
the post is part of the box