PDA

View Full Version : Hating Monthly Health Care Costs

Forevryoung
07-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Long Story Short- I've been taking a medication for 3.5 years. It works, I'm not changing it. However, it's expensive. If I were to pay 100% out of pocket for it, it would cost $495 a month.

Thankfully, health insurance covers it. It was originally a $50 co-pay, it increased to $75 and I started getting it mail order to save money 6 months ago.

I got an email that they are no longer stocking this medication mail order and I have to pick it up from my local pharmacy. At least it's still covered under my policy (with the $75 co-pay).

So now, I'll pay $407 for my policy (single, without employer contribution), $110 for 2 prescriptions, $160 in co-pays for therapy for a grand total of $677 a month to keep myself generally healthy :scared1:

Add an eye exam and a dermatologist visit, this month I'm spending $800 on my health care. :sad2: I feel sick thinking about it. :headache:

Darcy03231
07-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Since you've been taking the medication for 3.5 years have you checked to see if there is a generic version of it? I always ask at our pharmacy and have saved a lot of money over the years. DD takes a monthly prescription that they just came out with a generic for. Took my co-pay from $25/mo to $10/mo.

A Mickeyfan
07-30-2009, 03:41 PM
and if there is not a generic for you to switch to, is there another brand name but same type of drug you can take? Sometimes that will work too.. With being on something for x-amount of years, you do build up a resistance so there should be another at least brand name for you to take & with any luck your mail away should have that one..

fofinia
07-30-2009, 04:11 PM
I feel your pain. I don't take any medications but my DH takes 3. We were paying about $50 each for them monthly. And then they added them to the Walmart $4 pharmacy list!! What a huge savings. Of course We still pay $1237 a month for a family plan. And we have $50 copays. So I keep myself out of the Dr's as much as possible!!! DH goes enough for all of us!

Hope you can find a cheaper alternative. Maybe another mail order company could work with you?

Forevryoung
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I feel your pain. I don't take any medications but my DH takes 3. We were paying about $50 each for them monthly. And then they added them to the Walmart $4 pharmacy list!! What a huge savings. Of course We still pay $1237 a month for a family plan. And we have $50 copays. So I keep myself out of the Dr's as much as possible!!! DH goes enough for all of us!

Hope you can find a cheaper alternative. Maybe another mail order company could work with you?

I'm just looking for people to commiserate with :goodvibes I am extremely thankful that I can afford to pay what I do.

My medication is uncommon, few people use it comparatively and it's not a pill so it's harder to develop/manufacture. Therefore, there is no incentive for drug companies to try and make it cheaper. I can't imagine a generic.

I'll just have to work a little harder!

C.Ann
07-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm just looking for people to commiserate with :goodvibes I am extremely thankful that I can afford to pay what I do.

My medication is uncommon, few people use it comparatively and it's not a pill so it's harder to develop/manufacture. Therefore, there is no incentive for drug companies to try and make it cheaper. I can't imagine a generic.

Have you checked the online Prescription free/help programs? The income limits are fairly high on some - and they take into consideration other costs that you have.. With at least two of them, it also doesn't matter if you have health ins. and prescription coverage already.. You would have to pick it up at your doctors office though..

Might save you some money..:goodvibes

dis75ney
07-30-2009, 05:50 PM

I work with insurance companies and have a few things that might help. Could you PM me with which medication you're taking and I can do some research for you?

leahjade
07-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Not sure which medication you use, but sometimes lifestyle changes can work. My best friend lost 40 pounds and is able to quit her blood pressure and cholestrol medication plus is no longer diabetic either!