PDA

View Full Version : time share tours

punkin413
07-30-2009, 08:28 AM
hey, everybody! a friend of mine is planning a trip to orlando in late september. they are only going to MK for one day and she was asking me about tickets. she had heard if you do a time share tour in orlando that you can get highly-discounted tickets to disney. i've never done this myself and have no idea how it works and if it's worth it. does anyone have any firsthand experience and, if so, what did you think, what was involved, what kind of discount did you get, etc.? thanks!

B714210
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM
DH and I did this several years ago. We had a choice to get free tix to Universal, Sea World or a 1 day Dis pass. We arrived in the a.m. (about 9, if I recall correctly), with our DD and DS. They meet up with us, start the tour, and get our kids to the "fun kids area". Left them there, well supervised. Kids got to play video games, pool, etc. Took us on a golf cart. The development was beautiful. Toured us around the different floor plans. We are now 3 hours into this. :rolleyes1 Next, they serve us a simple lunch. The very easy going, friendly guy asks if we are ready to buy. No thanks. We thought the place was swell, but being from WI, felt we would want to go to lots of other places for vacations. Keeps talking to us, another ride on the cart around the area. :sad2: We ask to get our kids to leave. He says, he is required to "check us out with his boss". Apparently, this is the guy who holds the free tickets. 2 hours later, after a huge high pressure sales pitch :scared1: from the boss, we finally are able to leave. Never thought we would basically be held hostage for an entire day of our vacation. DH and I did learn a lesson, and vowed to NEVER, EVER go through a timeshare pitch again. Unless you really are interested in either 1) buying a timeshare, or 2) wasting a day of your vacation, IMHO, I would steer clear!

simonsmom
07-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Plan on being there at least 3 hours if you say no and longer if you say yes

punkin413
07-30-2009, 03:36 PM
thanks for the info so far. just bumping!

CalvaryMike
07-30-2009, 05:55 PM
I did a timeshare tour in Maui with Westin. It was great and no pressure. It was sooooo non pressure, I almost felt like I had to sign up. The tour was 20 minutes and the sales pitch was 10 minutes. When I said, "Is that it?" I was told that these things sell themselves and they didn't need to hard sell them. Btw, I didn't sign up and I've since regretted it.

I did another timeshare tour in Orlando with Hilton. It was 90 minutes in total. More high pressured than the Westin, but professionally handled. I had no intention of signing up from the beginning and I stuck to my guns.

My neighbor did a timeshare in Orlando for free tickets and he came back with a horrific experience. This was with a non major brand timeshare.

I would only stick with timeshare's from major branded companies.

Cheshire Figment
07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Most timeshares will state a 90 minute requirement to get whatever they are offering

However... When you get there you will be invited to go into a lounge for snacks, coffee, etc.

When you are finally taken to the salesperson is when the clock starts. You will be invited, after a movie or something, to tour the property. Ths will be in a golf cart. You will be far from the sales office when the 90 minutes is up.

Once you get back you will still have more to go through, possibly a "manager" coming in to offer a better deal than the original salesperson.

Actual total time from arrival to departure will be closer to 2.5 hours rather than 90 minutes. Add in travel time both ways and how much time will you be spending?

Calculate your vacation time and hourly cost.

Take the total number of hours from the time you leave home until the time you return. Then subtract out the time sleeping or otherwise spent in your room. This gives you actual vacation time in hours.

Then take the total cost of your trip, transportation, tickets, lodging, meals, etc. Divide this by the number of hours. This gives you a cost per hour for your actual vacation time.

Now look at what you are getting, and consider how much it is really costing you.

BTW, almost any Disney ticket you get from a timeshare promotion (especially if you get a voucher) is NOT upgradeable; I know this as I am involved in selling tickets at WDW.

Mickey527
07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I go to FL alot on my own and have done many time share tours. I have an AP so I usually go for cash, the most has been $175. I won't waste my time for less than $100 cash.
I went two weeks ago with my son who was looking for jobs in the Orlando area. He was ok with sitting in the hotel in the evenings but I was bored silly after the first night.
He went on a job interview and I did a West Gate "towers" Westgate are supposed to be the toughest but I was out in a little less than 2 hours.
I got 2-2 day passes so he was able to go to all 4 of the parks with me.
I go in and tell the salesperson right off the bat that I am not buying. I don't eat the food since during the time you are eating they are talking to you but that doesn't count as time. I tell them I am there to do the tour and get out so start NOW! They sometimes get mad because they want to eat but since I am not eating they can't. They can't even get a cup of coffee unless I am drinking something. lol I am like a camel, I can go days in FL without drinking fluids...
When the 90 min is up I tell them I have to go so they can finish up. They try the hard sell but I tell them again "not interested". Then the manager comes to finish the sale and usually gives a really discounted offer from what the saleperson offered, but again, "Not interested".
I am usually out within the 90 min - 2 hour time period, only got stuck once when I asked a question and they thought I was interested. I learned my lesson there, I spent almost 4 hours that day.
If they give you trouble tell them that the law is that if you meet the qualifications they have to give you the "gift" no matter if you buy or not. It says so right on the paper you get when you sign for the tour in those little booths.
It also is a state law that they have to specify on the paper how long the tour lasts and you can leave after you have spent the specified time with them. It does say meal time does not count as tour time. Keep the paper with you to use when your time is up.