PDA

View Full Version : Birthday gifts for 8 & 9 year old girls

KNJWDW
07-30-2009, 08:22 AM
My daughter has a couple of birthday parties comming up. Both of the girls will be in the 3rd grade, however one will be turning 8 and one will be turning 9. I am struggling a bit with what to get for gifts. My daughter isn't sure what either of these girls are "really into." I left messages when I RSVP'd with their moms, but haven't heard back. I was thinking about gift certificates to the movie theater. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

MickeyP
07-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Claire's GC

MS_mom_1965
07-30-2009, 08:43 AM
How much do you plan to spend?

I think the Claire's gift card is a great idea if you have a Claire's in your area.

If not, what about Webkinz? My daughter is 10 and she loves those, as do most of her friends. Of course, they are only good if the girls have internet access at home.

lattemomof3
07-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Last week for a party dd 9 took a pink & green tote bag from the target $ section, and in it we put a cute pink & green beach towel on clearance @ target, and a pair of white sunglasses with bling - too cute - kid size, & from the target $ spot. The party before that we took a wire basket from (yep, again) Target $ spot, and filled it w/ nail polish, and a pedicure toe separator, and little lotions and body washes- all from the $ spot. You could add a claire's gc to either of these if you want to spend more. Webkinz are also very popular w/ our girls.

mickeyboat
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
My DDs are 8 & 9, going into 4th grade, and they really like craft stuff. Their latest is a weaving loom. They are making pot holders and think they will be able to sell them to people. :rotfl: They also like beading, making bracelets, modeling clay and some easy sewing.

How about a gift card to a craft store?

mjkacmom
07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
I like all of these suggestions. I wouldn't do a movie gc, because if they have siblings, mom will have to take them as well. I've also given cool jammies and slippers.

StephMK
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
DD9 would pick webkinz or craft projects. We usually get a craft project if we don't know what to get. We've gotten paint your own flower pots, scrapbook kit, beaded jewelry, garden stone kit, etc. She is just getting into girly stuff and would love the nail polish also. If you want to give a GC, a book store is a good choice too.

memy26
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
My dd is almost 9 and loves Webkinz, anything HSM, Littlest Pet Shop. Most girls this age love Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift, although my dd isn't into either.

Also any kind of jewelry, nail polish, etc. A Claires gc would be great

KNJWDW
07-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all of the great ideas! I am so glad I asked, I wasn't too excited about giving the movie GC's.

skip323
07-30-2009, 09:58 AM
I have 2 dd's 8 & 9 also. We will do most of what others have already mentioned. We like buying the small purses meant for women but they are small on clearance and giving those with a gc. We do, though, do movie gc's and a lot of families have really appreciated them. I know that means sometimes one has to take other siblings but often times there is a movie a family wants to attend and that is $10.00 less they have to spend. I have also seen cases where the parents use that as an opportunity for a little one on one time with that particular kiddo. We also do Book store gc's, Claire's gc's or a craft store gc. We have done cute stationary kits and journals for friends who like writing. We have done craft kids : a small box filled with glitter glue, feathers, colored pencils whatever. We really get a great deal this time of year by making craft boxes filled with the back to school sale deals (colored pencils, crayons, sharpeners, markers, and papers). If the kids have an Ipod, a $10 (or is it $15?) gc is always appreciated as well!

It was definitely a LOT easier when I could stock up on Barbies to give out!!

KAMKIM
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
My DD is 8 - she loves Jonas Brothers, makeup, Claires, webkinz, and spa like stuff (nail polish, toe seperaters etc.) I always give my girls a $10 limit for school friends - they seem to have a party every other week so I think some cute things from Claires is great.

sallysmom
07-30-2009, 10:33 AM
How about a gift certificate to a local bookstore? My DD9 loves picking out her own books to own. Or a gift certificate to a local nail salon. They're at the perfect age to really enjoy this.

lady9
07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
My DD 8 loves PIXOS, the little beads you make things then spray with water and they stick together. They are one of the few things that I have seen on TV that actually work. There are several different sets. TRU had them on sale last week for about 1/2 price plus a free kit with $9.99 purchase. DD and her friends have spent hours playing with them.

DebMcDonald
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I have a daughter entering the third this coming year and a very popular gift that alot of the girls are getting and giving is the Klutz's books. You can find them anywhere, but if you have an AC Moore you can use a % off coupon, when I come across the 50% off's I buy several books so that I always have them on hand and I'll give the girls two books.

kacaju
07-30-2009, 01:37 PM
my dd9 just has been to two parties, when i asked her what she wanted to get the girls she siad Target Gift Cards.
I asked her why Target?
Her response was you can find something for everyone at Target!!!

okeydokey
07-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Bendaroos. You can get them at Walgreens now.