PDA

View Full Version : any chance of discounts for value resorts during spring break?

SpaceAce
07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Hello. I'm pretty familar with Disney World, but have been out of the loop for 2years, the last time I went. I am thinking seriously of planning a trip during Spring Break in 2010 - being a teacher there is never a good time to go except for the busiest times of the year at Disney.

That being said, I want to stay in one of the value resorts during that time. Based on past trends, will there be ANYTHING available in terms of a discount there? I would think that in the past there would be none, but curious if there was anything this year because of the economic downturn.

Thanks for your thoughts!

*pixie*dust*
07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
AAA usually has their discount available. It isn't huge but it's better than nothing.

HsvTeacher
07-29-2009, 07:20 PM
We went in March of this year using the Buy 4/Get 3 Free promotion and stayed at Pop. We also received a $200 gift card when we checked in.

Edited to add: I'm not sure when your Spring Break falls, but a few of the weeks were blacked out around Easter.

SpaceAce
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks - yes, my spring break starts on Good Friday and includes Easter and the following week, so I imagine most deals will be blacked out - my only hope was if the bad economy made them more desparate to fill rooms. Thanks.

tinkmom2
07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
We've gone the last 3 years during Easter and spring break and haven't ever had any promotions we have stayed at All Star Sports, Music and Movies. That is a busy time for them and they usually have sporting events and the cheerleaders come. But since the economy is so bad I would keep checking!

DisneyFans-Poage
07-29-2009, 09:05 PM
When will they start posting and discounts for the Spring Break time in March? We pray they have a discount during that time.

HsvTeacher
07-29-2009, 09:34 PM
When will they start posting and discounts for the Spring Break time in March? We pray they have a discount during that time.

We booked our March (Spring Break) 2009 trip on November 6, 2008. I remember booking the morning the Buy 4/Get 3 Free promo started. I found out about it a few days before by reading the promos that are listed in the "DIS Site Updates" at the top of the DisBoards home page.

Colleen27
07-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Like the PP said, last year the discount was released 11/6 for the first half of this year. I don't know that I'd assume the same will hold true this year, though, because historically the deals for fall/winter have come out in Aug and they were announced a month earlier this year...

The booking window for the fall/winter free dining offer ends 9/26. I plan to start watching for spring deals then, because that's how this last deal worked - it was announced the day after the last big promo (late summer free dining) ended.

Donnainnj
07-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Last Easter we went during our Spring Break, the week before Easter and the Monday after on the Buy 4 get 3 free deal. Although the literature said there were black out dates, we were still able to get the offer. (as were many others as reported on the Dis) For the historical times the discounts were available, I use the list on mousesavers in the resort section. I also use that source and I watch the Code/rates section of the resorts board on Dis to find the codes as soon as they come out. We stayed 7 nights at CSR with the deal. There was also availability at the values. We stayed the first night of the trip at ASMusic in a suite for the $150 rate that expedia ran, don't know if it was an error or not, but that is what we paid. Just know that this was the busiest we have ever seen the parks, including 3 other Easter weeks. It started getting lighter Easter weekend and even lighter that Monday, but before that it was crazy busy. Because your break is the week after Easter you may do better then we did.
Donna

Born2Cruz
07-31-2009, 02:13 PM
We are also interested in going for 11 nights around our spring break. When is Easter in 2010? Our Spring Break is the week of March 22-26. Does anyone know how busy that time of year is at the parks? Can someone tell me about the buy 4 get 3 promo from last spring? I don't recall the details.

disneyleslie
07-31-2009, 03:46 PM
we did five nights at the port orleans and received a $500 disney card at check in - it was great and it was over Easter!!

Leslie

HsvTeacher
07-31-2009, 04:41 PM
We are also interested in going for 11 nights around our spring break. When is Easter in 2010? Our Spring Break is the week of March 22-26. Does anyone know how busy that time of year is at the parks? Can someone tell me about the buy 4 get 3 promo from last spring? I don't recall the details.

Easter will be April 4 in 2010. If I remember correctly, when we booked the Buy 4/Get 3 promo, we paid for four nights at the resort and four park tickets and got three nights and three park tickets free. We ended up adding the Park Hopper and non-expiring options to our tickets, then upgraded to DVC APs. They ended up giving us $40 back as a refund.

Depending on when you booked, you received a gift card. Some packages didn't include gift cards if they were in a blackout period.

disney*mom*82
07-31-2009, 05:18 PM
We booked our March Spring break trip in Oct last year. My dh is a teacher too and we usually go durring his break. But, we have decided to go in Sept this year too, he will have to miss 3 days of work and feels a bit bad about it, but the schools are great and dont mind at all. We are taking advantage of the free dining.
Our kids springs breaks are the same time as yours, we never go then since DH cant miss a week of work. Ide just keep my eyes open, they very well may have some kind of special going on then. If not, what about Christmas break or a long weekend and taking a couple of personal days? GL and happy planning!

Born2Cruz
07-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know how crowded it might be in mid/late March around the week of 22 - 26 ? If anyone can direct me to a site that might show me the trends that would be great as well.

dancedw/tigger
08-01-2009, 11:58 AM
We are planning on going March 19-25, 2010 and trying to figure out if our family of 5 can afford to stay on property. Any suggestions?

bamamom
08-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Our Spring Break is the week of March 15 and we were wanting to go during that time...I was wondering how crowded it would be and was hoping for some sort of discount as well :thumbsup2. Does anyone know about crowds around that time....seems more peoples SB maybe the week after ours this year and in April...that could work out well for us. We too have to go during off times at school because of kids not able to miss school in Jr high.:headache:

Coll0610
08-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I think the week of March 22 is a popular one for spring break. Lots of districts around here are off then. The Swan and Dolphin used to offer rates for teachers. Not sure if they still do, but it used to be a great deal. Might be worth checking on.

SpaceAce
08-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey dancedw/tigger,

The best thing to try to figure out what what the rate would be would be to compare to 2009 rates, as 2010 aren't yet published. Remember, compare your week to the holidays, not to the calendar date. A good link to do this is:

http://www.mousesavers.com/roomrates2009.html

It lists the rates at various times of year.

SpaceAce
08-01-2009, 08:53 PM
(If I did this correctly a value resort, which is the cheapest, were at best $125 per night.)

eyor44
08-01-2009, 08:58 PM
We are planning on going March 19-25, 2010 and trying to figure out if our family of 5 can afford to stay on property. Any suggestions?

AS Music has Family Suites that will sleep 6, but one Moderate, Port Orleans Riverside, offers rooms with two double beds and a trundle, which will sleep five. Not sure the age of your children, but a room at Riveside might be more economical than two rooms or a family suite at the All Stars.

bamamom
08-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Did the promotion last year for 4/3 include tickets to the parks or was it just for the room only? I wish you could go ahead and book for March. I tried to do it online but it won't let you go past Dec 31.

bucket o' butter
08-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Have you checked the "Swan and Dolphin" hotel for teacher discounts. You can call Call 1-888-828-8850 and ask for rate code: TEACH for more information. Here is the web page:
http://www.swandolphin.com/rates/index.html

The web page says that rooms start at $129. A little more than the value resorts, but probably a bit nicer and less noisy. I am a teacher and have had several friends take advantage of this discount. You might want to check it out.

Hello. I'm pretty familar with Disney World, but have been out of the loop for 2years, the last time I went. I am thinking seriously of planning a trip during Spring Break in 2010 - being a teacher there is never a good time to go except for the busiest times of the year at Disney.

That being said, I want to stay in one of the value resorts during that time. Based on past trends, will there be ANYTHING available in terms of a discount there? I would think that in the past there would be none, but curious if there was anything this year because of the economic downturn.

Thanks for your thoughts!

SpaceAce
08-02-2009, 09:50 AM
How likely do you think it is to get the teacher discount during Easter? Do they do blackout dates?

DisneyFans-Poage
08-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Keeping our fingers crossed that there will be a discount during our Spring Break.

MichelleinMaine
08-04-2009, 06:47 AM

Someelse gave you room capacities, but if one of your children is under 3, s/he wouldn't count in that regard. (Eg, you can stay in a room intended for 4 if you want.)

On the off chance you happen to be military, Shades of Green also sleep 5.

cmaee
08-04-2009, 07:02 AM
We checked in the day before Easter and checked out the next Saturday. We did the 4/3 deal. We were going to stay at Pop, but with the 4/3 deal we upgraded to Coronado Springs and still saved money from our original estimate. The dates said they were blacked out, but I went on-line and just tried to do it and they let me. We were part of a grand gathering, so I called and they were able to get everyone in our GG rooms at Coronado with the 4/3 deal. It was a huge savings! I don't remember when I made those changes, but it was well before 45 days out. I think it was January, but am not sure. My DH is a middle school principal, so we are stuck with going during the busiest times of the year. We loved it this past year. We had a blast and didn't feel crowded in. We would leave the park around 12:30-1:00 and return around 5ish. It was a great week. We rode everything we wanted to, muliple times each day. It helped that we had to do a baby swap, so our older kids could experience the rides twice for minimal wait. On Easter Sunday, our kids got to ride Expedition Everest 6 times, while the adults got to go 3 times. We had 3 kids in our group who were too small for that ride, so we were able to use their fastpasses and with the baby swaps, we could have rode it more, but decided to sprinkle some pixie dust on people who were just coming into the park when we left around dinnertime.

cmaee
08-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Did the promotion last year for 4/3 include tickets to the parks or was it just for the room only? I wish you could go ahead and book for March. I tried to do it online but it won't let you go past Dec 31.

They are letting you purchase packages for 2010 now. I was curious if they would let you yet, and as of this morning when I tried, you can book packages for 2010.

DisneyFans-Poage
08-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Are the packages thru spring break? I guess it is the 4/3 deal? Our springbreak is starting the 15th of March.