PDA

View Full Version : DH just found out his plant is moving

wshupnastar
07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
DH works in a factory, and the factory is moving, not too far, about 40 miles away.

He has already signed up (and taken out grants and loans) for school, so we feel pretty good about that decision!

I am really hoping he gets to keep his job, but if I am correct, wouldn't this case be something that he could file unemployment on while he looks for something else.

We live in Indiana, so I know it's an "At-Will" state, meaning they can get rid of an employee for any reason...but I would think they would have to pay unemployment if they are moving the plant, and he doesn't make "the cut".

Anyone familiar with unemployment laws?

Thanks so much, I know this isn't really budget related, but I swear, this board is filled with people who seem to know their stuff! :)

Chicago526
07-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I think that if a job location moves a certain distance away from it's current location, a person may qualify. You'd have to check with your state to be certain though. Just Google "unemployment benifits indiana" and you should find your state's info.

My3kiddos
07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
If the plant moves and doesn't allow him to keep his job after the move he should qualify for unemployment. Kentucky is just like Indiana and here you either have to quit because you are too lazy to work or you must have missed alot or done something really bad to not qualify for UE.