PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a Babysitter

katiedid36
07-29-2009, 11:25 AM
For the first time we are going to have to hire a babysitter for my 2 kids. We have tickets to a concert & both sets of parents will be out of town. The girl we have asked is on my daughter's swim team & we kinda know her parents. I am definitely comfortable with her watching my kids ages 4 & 8. What is a going rate for a babysitter these days? She is 15 years old and we live in Michigan if that matters?

Thanks! :thumbsup2

mjkacmom
07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I've had sitters for years and years - $10 an hour.

muscarello4
07-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I pay $5/hr, but never less than $20. If the kid is 15, this is more money than she could make at a PT job (once you figure in the taxes that are witheld.) Not to mention, babysitting is an easy gig. Once the kids go to sleep she can do homework or watch TV.

Talk it over with the kid, but my 12 yo is thrilled with $5 a hour.

Ashlander
07-29-2009, 11:50 AM
We did $5 per hour for 1 child, $6 for two and $7 for 3. The kids are normally in bed most of the time and our babysitter thought the rates were fair. We never paid less than $20.

StefnMike
07-29-2009, 11:54 AM
In my area it would be either $8 or $10 an hour.

I pay my 16 year old babysitter $8 and hour to watch my DD who is 14 months.

My stepdaughters babysit and they would get $10 an hour to watch 2 school age kids in the evening including putting them to bed.

BTW, I checked Sittercity.com to see what the going rate was in my area. For nanny's with years of experience, the rate was $10-$15 an hour. We decided on $8 since DH was going to be home and that she was only 16.

Good luck!

fall08CP
07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
When I babysit from age 17-19 (2005-2007) I was paid $9/hr when the kids were asleep, $10/hr when they were awake. I babysit two kids aged 2 + 4. Also in the midwest.

mjhd
07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd say $5-6 is fair. Have you asked her what she charges???

katiedid36
07-29-2009, 12:04 PM
I'd say $5-6 is fair. Have you asked her what she charges???

no, my husband just talked to her Dad yesterday. We will see her tomorrow at our banquet. I kinda figured somewhere between $5 & $10 per hour.

mickeyplanner08
07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Don't know where you are in Michigan, but we are suburban west side of the state. We pay $6 an hour for our high school sitters and $5 for an 8th grader. My sister lives about 20 minutes away, but more rural/country feel and she pays hers $3-$4 an hour. I made $5-$6 in college here. I asked at church, and for the most part, we are right on target here.

Justsyd2
07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
$10.00 an hour for two kids is a good deal. I don't know anyone around here who would sit for $5.00 an hour!

tinkermom23
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Wow, we are cheap!
We seldom get a sitter, but when we do, we pay her $4-5 an hour depending if she has all 3 kids or just the twins. DS9 is really self-sufficient but not old enough to be left alone much less in charge of his siblings.

I always ask our sitter if I am paying enough and she ALWAYs says "This is Great!" so I assumed we were good. I asked around and it is pretty close to average.

If it matters, she is 14 yrs old and she lives a couple blocks away. I do not ask her to cook, clean, or anything like that. I expect her to play and interact with my kids and she knows that. She has never been here for bedtime but has done afternoon naps once. I make any meals/snacks ahead of time and she just serves it.

TaraPA
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
$10 an hour for 2 kids is the going rate here in my area of PA as well.

KennedyMcKenna
07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi! Well I babysit in Michigan, and have been since I was about 13. When I was younger, like in middle and high school I think I probably made $7 an hour. Now, I'm 23, have CPR certification, etc. I make between $8-15 depending on the amount of money. Now, the people that I've babysat for pay based on experience, qualifications and references, so that's a big part too. I think for a person who you trust with your kids who is 18 or under $7 an hour is fair. HTH!

mjkacmom
07-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I pay $5/hr, but never less than $20. If the kid is 15, this is more money than she could make at a PT job (once you figure in the taxes that are witheld.) Not to mention, babysitting is an easy gig. Once the kids go to sleep she can do homework or watch TV.

Of course it's regional, but I got paid $6 an hour to babysit one child 20 years ago, and I had a college degree, and was working on my MA. I don't know of anyone who pays less than $10 an hour here. However, my dd13 sits for friends of mine, and I tell them $6 is fine, because she's so young.

taitai
07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
We live in Minnesota and we pay $12/hour for our three. That is absolutely in line with what all of our friends pay. We all use local high school kids as our sitters.

Kathleen

inkedupmomma
07-29-2009, 02:12 PM
$8-10 at the very least. Also offer pizza for dinner maybe, and whatever snacks she wants. Make sure you are specific about what you want as well, ie: clean up after dinner, bed time stories, brush teeth, etc.

inkedupmomma
07-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Wow, we are cheap!
We seldom get a sitter, but when we do, we pay her $4-5 an hour depending if she has all 3 kids or just the twins. DS9 is really self-sufficient but not old enough to be left alone much less in charge of his siblings.

I always ask our sitter if I am paying enough and she ALWAYs says "This is Great!" so I assumed we were good. I asked around and it is pretty close to average.

If it matters, she is 14 yrs old and she lives a couple blocks away. I do not ask her to cook, clean, or anything like that. I expect her to play and interact with my kids and she knows that. She has never been here for bedtime but has done afternoon naps once. I make any meals/snacks ahead of time and she just serves it.

In all honesty, a 14 year old would NOT say no t his isn't enough. So asking her if that is enough is pointless, and puts her in an awkward position.

BeenHereB4
07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Nothing less than $10 here for 2 kids. The last sitter we hired (but had to cancel plans so never used) was $15/hr.

When I worked f/t and had a sitter, she charged $12 - this is why I no longer work outside the home. :goodvibes

inkedupmomma
07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
As a nanny, I always find it appalling how cheap people can be when it comes to sitters. Most rather hire an inexperienced middle/highschooler for $5.00/hr than someone who has many certifications and years of experience. Yet they don't bat an eye at the cost of Valet parking, the ridiculously priced dinner they are eating, etc...

Maybe it is just me, but it's weird. I never pay less than $10/hr for first child, and then $2.50-$5.00 per each additional child. I also expect that at the very minimum for when I sit. My children are the most important things in the world to me, and I want my sitter to feel appreciated and compensated for all the hard work and love they give to my children.

Kellydelly
07-29-2009, 02:29 PM
As a nanny, I always find it appalling how cheap people can be when it comes to sitters. Most rather hire an inexperienced middle/highschooler for $5.00/hr than someone who has many certifications and years of experience. Yet they don't bat an eye at the cost of Valet parking, the ridiculously priced dinner they are eating, etc...

Maybe it is just me, but it's weird. I never pay less than $10/hr for first child, and then $2.50-$5.00 per each additional child. I also expect that at the very minimum for when I sit. My children are the most important things in the world to me, and I want my sitter to feel appreciated and compensated for all the hard work and love they give to my children.

If parents only hired people like you, the teens in the neighborhoods would have no work ;). I live in MI and pay $6-7 an hour for a teen to watch my 4 children. $10 is ridiculous unless you are paying an adult.

inkedupmomma
07-29-2009, 02:35 PM
If parents only hired people like you, the teens in the neighborhoods would have no work ;). I live in MI and pay $6-7 an hour for a teen to watch my 4 children. $10 is ridiculous unless you are paying an adult.

When I was a teenager I expected a decent rate as well. I was no sucker!;) and no one ever tried taking advantage of me either. They got what they paid for as well!

tinkermom23
07-29-2009, 02:42 PM
In all honesty, a 14 year old would NOT say no t his isn't enough. So asking her if that is enough is pointless, and puts her in an awkward position.

You are probably right.
It's not like I expected her to say "Well, since you asked, you are the cheapest guys on the block." But I do ask her to show her that I respect her opinion and I can usually read her reaction if she is disappointed or satisfied.

When I was a teen, granted it was looong ago, if I didn't feel I was paid enough for babysitting I would have said I was not available the next time. Which never happened because I was grateful for whatever I got, but that was me. :flower3:

inkedupmomma
07-29-2009, 03:04 PM
You are probably right.
It's not like I expected her to say "Well, since you asked, you are the cheapest guys on the block." But I do ask her to show her that I respect her opinion and I can usually read her reaction if she is disappointed or satisfied.
and that IS awesome that you do respect her enough to ask! you def gte props for that!
When I was a teen, granted it was looong ago, if I didn't feel I was paid enough for babysitting I would have said I was not available the next time. Which never happened because I was grateful for whatever I got, but that was me. :flower3:

agreed. if I don't/haven't liked someone, then I do just that. I just don't ever want to be the one, that people won't sit for :lmao:

stitchlovestink
07-29-2009, 03:07 PM

First off in MD anyone under the age of 13 CANNOT be responsible for another child under the age of 8 (sibling or otherwise). Now that said, there aren't babysitting police out there monitoring this. But, I'm not so sure what the consequences would be if there was an emergency that warranted a call to the police/fire depts or a trip to the ER? :confused3 Since Min wage just went up to what $7.25 hr. I do think that a good quality babysitter is worth this. But that is my opinion. I know that is why we rarely used a sitter when our kids were young, the cost. :faint: Now many if not most of the teens 16 or up, aren't the least bit interested in babysitting as they want their weekend nights for friends/fun. My 13 (almost 14yo) would love to get some babysitting jobs and she is CPR certified too. She would take what was offered to her and if she felt it wasn't fair/worth it, she just wouldn't go back. for a 2 and 4 yo (depending on if she is feeding them, bathing them, etc..) and how long they will be awake, I would say at least $8 an hour. I also agree w/ the poster who stated though that what is expected should be clearly spelled out (i.e. dishes cleaned up if she is feeding them, toys put away, etc...) I'd also specify what drinks/snacks are acceptable if you choose to go this route. I, personally, took my own years ago. that way, I'd know that I'd like what there was to eat. ;)
best of luck with working all of the details out and I hope you enjoy the concert and your time out together. :goodvibes

inkedupmomma
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
First off in MD anyone under the age of 13 CANNOT be responsible for another child under the age of 8 (sibling or otherwise). Now that said, there aren't babysitting police out there monitoring this. But, I'm not so sure what the consequences would be if there was an emergency that warranted a call to the police/fire depts or a trip to the ER? :confused3 Since Min wage just went up to what $7.25 hr. I do think that a good quality babysitter is worth this. But that is my opinion. I know that is why we rarely used a sitter when our kids were young, the cost. :faint: Now many if not most of the teens 16 or up, aren't the least bit interested in babysitting as they want their weekend nights for friends/fun. My 13 (almost 14yo) would love to get some babysitting jobs and she is CPR certified too. She would take what was offered to her and if she felt it wasn't fair/worth it, she just wouldn't go back. for a 2 and 4 yo (depending on if she is feeding them, bathing them, etc..) and how long they will be awake, I would say at least $8 an hour. I also agree w/ the poster who stated though that what is expected should be clearly spelled out (i.e. dishes cleaned up if she is feeding them, toys put away, etc...) I'd also specify what drinks/snacks are acceptable if you choose to go this route. I, personally, took my own years ago. that way, I'd know that I'd like what there was to eat. ;)
best of luck with working all of the details out and I hope you enjoy the concert and your time out together. :goodvibes

Excellent point on the age thing. many states do not allow children under 13 to babysit legally! Also, keep in mind, you are paying the sitter to watch your children no matter what happens. You never know if there will be an emergency. So the whole line about your paying the sitter to watch your kids sleep is old. You are paying the sitter to be responsible for your children regardless of whether they are sleeping or if there is an emergency. As parents you all know how hard taking care of a child/children is.

mjkacmom
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM

Maybe in MI, but if you paid that here in NJ, there's a good chance you'd only get one to come back to do it again, especially with 4 children.

TeaForTulips
07-29-2009, 03:55 PM
clearly you have plenty of opinions here, but im gonna throw mine in there too. ;)

i am a certified professional nanny so of course when i watch kids what i expect and what a 15 year old would expect are completely different. an adult watching your children and a child is 2 different levels. altho even when i was a teenager i would have never sat for $5 an hour. minimum wage isnt event that low.

i think what you should pay depends upon what you expect someone to do. if your kids will be in bed and you dont expect anything but this person to sit there pretty much, well of course that would be less than if you expected baths, dinner, homework help, activities, etc. a person should also be honest in the matter knowing if they have children who will stay in bed and cause no trouble or who will cause havoc while youre away. however, you have to remember you are paying for someones time not just their service. isnt your time valuable? well believe it or not so is a 15 year olds. :upsidedow

the cost of a babysitter is the value you put into your childrens safety and comfort. also the ability of being able to go out with out feeling nervous and worried. what is that value to you?

good luck!

mpbest
07-29-2009, 03:59 PM
We paid a high schooler $7 an hour and a young adult $10. They are both very responsible girls we either went or still go to church with. On average they would be here for about four hours and would need to finish/feed dinner and then put him to bed. I do not know anyone that would babysit for $4 an hour. Although it would be nice!

java
07-29-2009, 04:19 PM
My 11 year old gets $10 an hour for 2 kids. Actually older than your 2 too so they are easy. She has babysat for 2 different sets of boys- both families pay her the $10 an hour.

JoBird
07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
I look at paying a babysitter the same as paying a waitress a tip at the end of a meal-- if you can't afford to pay both well.... then you shouldn't go out.

When our children were younger, we paid extremely well... we have paid up to $100 for a whole afternoon into evening out before, plus dinner for the sitter, plus picking them up and taking them home at night.

If the sitter sat on the couch all night and didn't play with my kids, or they left dishes to be washed in the sink, they didn't get a call back to sit again.

My daughter is now going into 9th grade and has been babysitting for the neighborhood kids for a year.
She never asked for a certain amount, but is in great demand and gets $10-$12 an hour for her services. She is CPR certified thru the Red Cross and knows that if she babysits, she is to leave the house in better shape than she found it. No dirty dishes in the sink- not even a knife.
She is busy just about every night babysitting, and sometimes during the day (in fact, she just got home from a job)

Once, one of my girlfriends had a company party to go to- and she asked my DD to babysit for her as well as another couple. She asked me how much my DD charged and I said "IDK, probably $5 a child in that circumstance." (the boys were VERY much a handful-) My friend agreed and thought it was a good price.

Well, when it came time for them to pay her, the other mom (not my friend) pitched one huge fit and said she wasn't paying that amount b/c she "Doesn't even make that amount in her day job" (Seems like you're in the wrong business to me-):laughing: and my DD "is only 14." -- It doesn't matter the age- it's all time spent working whether you are 13 or 45.

Needless to say- she hasn't sat for those people again- I guess they can't afford her.:snooty:

Kellydelly
07-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Maybe in MI, but if you paid that here in NJ, there's a good chance you'd only get one to come back to do it again, especially with 4 children.

Did you notice that the OP lives in my state :rolleyes:? It's all about demographics.

disfan07
07-29-2009, 06:06 PM
In northern virginia i was paid $15/hour for 4 kids (1 yr, 4 yr, 7 yr, 10 yr) and $13/hour for 3 kids (4, 7, 9)...that was when i began babysitting 2 for these families 2 years ago....by the time i moved to california 2 months ago was getting paid $20/hour for the 4 and $15/hour for the 3...parents choice...i did not raise my rates

I never made less than $8/hour for 2 kids and i started babysitting when i was 12....since i was 14, ive never made less than $10/hour...i think $4-5 is cheap
I would regularly make about $70/night....i made on average between $250-$300 per month babysitting

Excellent point on the age thing. many states do not allow children under 13 to babysit legally! Also, keep in mind, you are paying the sitter to watch your children no matter what happens. You never know if there will be an emergency. So the whole line about your paying the sitter to watch your kids sleep is old. You are paying the sitter to be responsible for your children regardless of whether they are sleeping or if there is an emergency. As parents you all know how hard taking care of a child/children is.

Huh...i started babysitting when i was 12...the kids were 2 and 4...it was usually once a month about 5 or 6 hours/night....one night was 7 hours

My going rates were:
$10 for 1 kid
$12 for 2 and 3 kids
$15 for 4 kids
but i also have 8 years of babysitting experience and 8 years of preschool camp and daycare experience as well as infant/child CPR. I have babysat for 7 different families in the past 8 years

mjhd
07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
FWIW minimum wage for minors in Michigan is around $6.25...

ETA obviously you are not required to pay this to her, I was just adding it in for reference.

stinkerbellsmomm
07-29-2009, 07:28 PM
After reading all this my babysitters should LOVE me and my husband!!
We pay our 16 year babysitter $12/hours for kids and $15+/hour for 3 kids. Our kids ages are 5, almost 3, and just over a 1. BUT we live just outside of NYC, so I guess thats why??

kpm76
07-29-2009, 08:08 PM
My 11 year old gets $10 an hour for 2 kids. Actually older than your 2 too so they are easy. She has babysat for 2 different sets of boys- both families pay her the $10 an hour.

I am sure your 11 yr old is very responsible but I cannot fathom leaving an 11 yr old with two children. I admit though, I am way overprotective when it comes to child care.......11 just seems so young to have that level of responsibility.

inkedupmomma
07-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Huh...i started babysitting when i was 12...the kids were 2 and 4...it was usually once a month about 5 or 6 hours/night....one night was 7 hours

Idk what I didn't make clear? Laws have obviously changed since you first started babysitting, as they have with me. i was 10 when I started babysitting. That is no longer legal. In many states you need to be 13 to be alone with children. Especially for an extended period of time.

After reading all this my babysitters should LOVE me and my husband!!
We pay our 16 year babysitter $12/hours for kids and $15+/hour for 3 kids. Our kids ages are 5, almost 3, and just over a 1. BUT we live just outside of NYC, so I guess thats why??

I'm sure your sitters do appreciate you. As you obviously do them. Yes your area plays a big part of that too!

caligirl stuck in va
07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Looks like I need to stop looking for a second job and just start babysitting!

tinkermom23
07-29-2009, 09:35 PM

I'm with ya!!! :rotfl2:

KennedyMcKenna
07-29-2009, 09:42 PM

For sure.

Maybe we can start a babysitter for hire thread with special discounts for DIS members! I'll start the Michigan one, you start the Virginia one! :rotfl::rotfl2:

tnd
07-29-2009, 09:45 PM
I live in the Detroit area and pay $10/hour for one child, but I have only hire adults and our regular babysitter is a full-time nanny so I don't mind paying more. I probably would pay around $8/hour for a teenager.

Princess April
07-29-2009, 09:47 PM
*WOW* We usually use a family friend to baby sit... and she charges us thge price of taking our DD and herself out a dinner :lmao: (nothing fancy, usually runs us about $20.00 for a few hours) but we are looking into getting someone else to "help us". She is a swimming teacher that our daughter took lessons with this summer. I haven't asked her about $ yet but from looking it up and reading on here I guess I'm looking at $10.00/hr. She is sweetheart :love: and I think she would be worth every penny! (Let's hope her rates aren't like, $20.00/hr lol) I would love to have her be my mother's helper and at $10.00 I would totally use her!

stitchlovestink
07-29-2009, 10:23 PM
clearly you have plenty of opinions here, but im gonna throw mine in there too. ;)

i am a certified professional nanny so of course when i watch kids what i expect and what a 15 year old would expect are completely different. an adult watching your children and a child is 2 different levels. altho even when i was a teenager i would have never sat for $5 an hour. minimum wage isnt event that low.

i think what you should pay depends upon what you expect someone to do. if your kids will be in bed and you dont expect anything but this person to sit there pretty much, well of course that would be less than if you expected baths, dinner, homework help, activities, etc. a person should also be honest in the matter knowing if they have children who will stay in bed and cause no trouble or who will cause havoc while youre away. however, you have to remember you are paying for someones time not just their service. isnt your time valuable? well believe it or not so is a 15 year olds. :upsidedow

the cost of a babysitter is the value you put into your childrens safety and comfort. also the ability of being able to go out with out feeling nervous and worried. what is that value to you?
good luck!

bolding is mine...
EXACTLY!!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Many Many years ago when I used to babysit, I had a couple who would drive 1/2 hr up I95 to pick me up to babysit for their son. My mom finally asked one day, why would they drive so far. They had no family in this area at all. Well they stated that they 'knew when they went out that they did not have to worry about their baby's safety and they knew he was being well cared for. and that was worth more than anything else to them.' They paid me VERY WELL. And just as a side note, when I was around, Brian wanted me instead of his mom. But she didn't mind at all. She said it just proved the point that he was being well cared for and loved by me. My mom almost had a heart attack though, when baby #2 came along, they left him with me for about 5 hours when he was less than 2 weeks old! :eek: Sometimes, I would have the boys for 8 to 10 hours, not all the time but ocassionally. I loved them like they were my own though. :love:

disfan07
07-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Idk what I didn't make clear? Laws have obviously changed since you first started babysitting, as they have with me. i was 10 when I started babysitting. That is no longer legal. In many states you need to be 13 to be alone with children. Especially for an extended period of time.

In virginia the RECOMMENDED age is 13....but having a babysitter under 13 is not illegal

ETA: they offer babysitting classes in virginia starting at age 11 so its not unusal for them to be babysitting at 11 or 12

maddmike
07-30-2009, 07:39 AM
We too are from Michigan and my 15 yr old babysits. She normally gets $10 an hour no matter if she is watching one or four kids.

pearlieq
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM
I got paid $5-$6/hour for babysitting...back in 1995!

It's definitely up to $8-$10/hour here, depending on time of day, number of kids, and age of the sitter.

We have this one mom on the block who refuses to pay more than $5/hour and then she wonders why she can only get the creepy middle schooler from around the corner to sit for her. We've tried to explain, but she's just not getting it. Why would you cheap out on the person taking care of your kids?

inkedupmomma
07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Why would you cheap out on the person taking care of your kids?

Exactly what I was thinking.

inkedupmomma
07-30-2009, 09:26 AM
*WOW* We usually use a family friend to baby sit... and she charges us thge price of taking our DD and herself out a dinner :lmao: (nothing fancy, usually runs us about $20.00 for a few hours) but we are looking into getting someone else to "help us". She is a swimming teacher that our daughter took lessons with this summer. I haven't asked her about $ yet but from looking it up and reading on here I guess I'm looking at $10.00/hr. She is sweetheart :love: and I think she would be worth every penny! (Let's hope her rates aren't like, $20.00/hr lol) I would love to have her be my mother's helper and at $10.00 I would totally use her!
If I sit for a friend I do not charge my normal rate. So that makes sense that they only charge for dinner :) I think 10/hr for a mother's helper is very fair! If you feel she is doing more than that you can always increase! Or throw in a pedicure evry now and again :cutie:
In virginia the RECOMMENDED age is 13....but having a babysitter under 13 is not illegal

ETA: they offer babysitting classes in virginia starting at age 11 so its not unusal for them to be babysitting at 11 or 12

As I said, in many states that is not the case. That is why I didn't get what you didn't get. Not every state.

Took
07-30-2009, 09:33 AM
This is a timely thread for me as my 13 y.o. is just starting to babysit. She is being paid $5/hr for two young kids (8 and 5, I think). I don't think she's asked to do much besides watch the kids and play with them. She is thrilled. My impression is that in my area (which has a very low cost of living), $5/hr is not bad at all, especially for a young teen.

DD also pet sits for $5/visit (30-45 minutes per visit) but has more experience with pets than with kids, lol, as she is an only child (so no younger siblings) but has always had pets and volunteers at local pet store and the humane association.

Took

mhsjax
07-30-2009, 02:59 PM

This is the way we feel< Why wouldn't you pay more than fast food places pay, Kids are way more important than a fast food burger. We pay $10.00 at the least but never less than $50.00 and we have 3 kids. True they do go to sleep while the baby sitter was there, but you are paying her to be there just in case the unthinkable happens. I just understand people being cheap when it comes to baby sitters.

leighe
07-30-2009, 03:58 PM
We pay our sitter $20 an hour but then she is a very close friend of the family and we just see it as giving her her running around money. My DDs are 2 and 3 and she plays/reads constantly and even takes them to the park/pool/etc. My oldest can be hard to put to bed so I definitely feel like she earns her money! She'll be going away to college after this coming school year and I'm starting to panic!!!

ilandrazdsw
07-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Whenever we have a sitter we end up paying $50 for watching our 2 kids. When we lived int he Bahamas $10 was the going rate for an older teen/early 20s sitter. Since moving we needed a sitter one night. She was 13 and was fabulous! The kids really liked her!!! She came with a great recommendation & is our pastor's daughter. She was also available on short notice. I would have paid her $8/hr for nearly 5 hours, but DH only had a $50, so she made out well.

mom2val
07-30-2009, 11:42 PM
$10 an hour is going rate in DFW

shortbun
07-31-2009, 04:44 AM
$10 an hour for 2 kids is the going rate here in my area of PA as well.

Last sitter I paid got $20 for a little less than 3 hours. That was 4 years ago and all she did was play video games with our 10yo. I would ask her and give her more than she asks for so she'll come back no matter what happens. I always overpaid, my girlfriends did the same. How old are your children? How long will you be gone? How old and experienced is the sitter? How important is the care of your children?

tink576
07-31-2009, 06:06 AM
Wow, we are cheap!

Yea, I got paid that much for sitting 3 kids once, and I'm not sitting for that family again. Think about it. $4-5 is under minimum wage. And for three kids... I typically got between $7-10 for 1 child and a couple bucks more for additional children.

DebMcDonald
07-31-2009, 08:16 AM
I think it really depends on the area you are in. My daughter is 15 and she earns on average $10 an hour. No one in the area I live in would even consider babysitting for $5 an hour. I'm also just outside of Boston.

thebeesknees
07-31-2009, 09:31 AM
We live in CO and pay $10 an hour.

inkedupmomma
07-31-2009, 09:52 AM
I think it is fair to say, the going rate and fair rate is $10/hr :goodvibes and that is from all different areas!

stella27
07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
$7-8/hour for a teen-aged sitter and $10 for an adult. Texas.
Oh - and I have 3 children.:)