PDA

View Full Version : Donating Cell Phones

poohbear2
07-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Where can I donate my cell phones? Is it safe? Do I just remove the battery before donating the phone? Can I take the donation off on my taxes?

Thanks.

taylor3297
07-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Some local police departments will take them, then give them to women who live in battered women shelters. Even if the phone is not hooked up to an account, you can still call 911. Do not take the battery out. Just erase any personal information stored.

akenneson
07-29-2009, 08:53 AM
In my area, if you stop into a cell phone companies store they will let you drop off phones for donation. I don't know as far as the taxes.

Ava
07-29-2009, 08:56 AM
See if your cell phone provider has a donation program. We have Sprint and they take donations of old phones and give you a receipt for tax purposes. Like a PP said leave the battery, just delete all of your personal information from the phone. There should be instructions in the manual for resetting it to factory settings.

JB2K
07-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Where can I donate my cell phones?

I know all Verizon Wireless corporate stores have a drop box for this sort of thing. It's near where yoy pay your bills.

Is it safe?

Yes, if you drop it off at VZW, it's safe, as back in 2001 when I was still in the military, I was the recipient of a donated phone)

Do I just remove the battery before donating the phone?

NO! The requirements are to donate the phone, charger, and a working battery. Even though VZW will wipe the phone clean, I would still delete the address book (or, if your phone makes use of a SIM card, simply remove the card).

Can I take the donation off on my taxes?

Usually not, as a used cell phone isn't really worth anything (technology depreciates).

JB2K
07-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Where can I donate my cell phones?

I know all Verizon Wireless corporate stores have a drop box for this sort of thing. It's near where yoy pay your bills.

Is it safe?

Yes, if you drop it off at VZW, it's safe, as back in 2001 when I was still in the military, I was the recipient of a donated phone)

Do I just remove the battery before donating the phone?

NO! The requirements are to donate the phone, charger, and a working battery. Even though VZW will wipe the phone clean, I would still delete the address book (or, if your phone makes use of a SIM card, simply remove the card).

Can I take the donation off on my taxes?

Usually not, as a used cell phone isn't really worth anything (technology depreciates).

sabble
07-29-2009, 09:56 AM
for the info

jrnunzio3
07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
You can go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com I have an envelope that I received a while ago, but it doesn't state anything about being a tax write off, but there is a donation receipt that you can print out on their website. The profits help our troops call home. This organization was started by a brother and sister when they were very young, they are now teenagers. On the bag it does state to turn the power off. Keep the phone and battery attached if possible. If you have any questions or would like the bag, I can send you one. PM me.
Jenny

contenttob
07-29-2009, 07:35 PM
There are a couple different places that will send you an envelope to turn in cell phones. Don't know the names off the top of my head.

chyam
07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Petsmart has postage free envelopes for cell phones and ink cartridges at the front of the store, they in turn get a donation for their charities, I have even brought envelopes to work so we send our old phones through them you may want to check their website about where the ones go once they recieve them but I do believe they are refurbished and given as "emergency" phones to people in need, like battereed women etc.

Lisa_M
07-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Our local battered women's shelter collects old cell phones with the battery and not the charger. I don't know what they do with them without the charger. I think they probably sell them to raise funds for the facility.

3boymthr
07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Check with your local school department. Many of the schools in our area collect them to sell for cash.

If you are worried about security just take out the SIM card or if you just want your phone wiped AT&T does the same thing as Verizon. They will transfer all your data for you and wipe the old phone clean.

ETA - if your cell phone is in good working condition then cellphones for soldiers is definitely a very good cause. If you replaced it because it doesn't work well many of the places that accept the donations to sell them for cash (such as our school) don't care if the phone doesn't work. Most of the time these phone are going to be recycled for parts anyway. I once donated a phone that had been washed and was dead as a doornail they didn't care.

coastiewifern
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
You can go to www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com I have an envelope that I received a while ago, but it doesn't state anything about being a tax write off, but there is a donation receipt that you can print out on their website. The profits help our troops call home. This organization was started by a brother and sister when they were very young, they are now teenagers. On the bag it does state to turn the power off. Keep the phone and battery attached if possible. If you have any questions or would like the bag, I can send you one. PM me.
Jenny

I was hoping someone would mention this. It is a great program. ATT has a drop box for this program