PDA

View Full Version : I feel sad for people who don't know about codes

Aisling
07-28-2009, 09:43 PM
I just called CRO and applied code KHP to my AKL Savannah room.

I was originally paying a total of $1420 for two nights ($710/n) and now with the code I'm paying $480 total ($240/n).

That's a savings of $940!

I feel sad for the people who don't know about codes and are booking rack rates, which are outrageous. They could be saving so much money.:sad1:

wahmtexas
07-28-2009, 10:04 PM
okay smartie pants, :worship:tell me about codes, I have been on Dis boards and have seen posts about them but I have never received an email from Disney, how do I get a code?

lagal
07-28-2009, 10:12 PM

I was originally paying a total of $1420 for two nights ($710/n) and now with the code I'm paying $480 total ($240/n).

I feel sad for the people who don't know about codes and are booking rack rates, which are outrageous. They could be saving so much money.:sad1:

Well could you help us newbies out here...tell us where you got/found:surfweb: that code....I may dance at your next wedding:bride: if you let go a lil about all the info you know on how to get discounts:confused3...

Thanks in advanvce....

wishing4PA
07-28-2009, 10:18 PM
In some cases (e.g., PP), I can feel sorry for them too.

But IMHO, for some folks it may make sense to clip out that $1 coupon for the grocery, but others find their time more valuable, or simply have enough to spare to not care about the $1.

In other words, some people just are not in the same circumstances as I, financially or in terms of free time. Some of them may enjoy the convenience of simply booking once, the dates that they desire, and not having to concern themselves with codes and bargains. So I don't worry about them at all or feel sad in the least.

Um ... I'm currently in the "on the hunt for bargains" category. :lmao:

discookiemonsta
07-28-2009, 10:22 PM
okay smartie pants, :worship:tell me about codes, I have been on Dis boards and have seen posts about them but I have never received an email from Disney, how do I get a code?

I'm not sure if the original poster is talking about the same codes, but I know that a 'room only' discount just came out a day ago. You can find all of the updates for discounts, free dining etc. on the main disboards page..www.disboards.com At the top of the page you will see a small scroll down box called Dis Site Updates, which lists all of the promotions etc.

Or you can always go directly to www.wdwinfo.com to see the deals and find out the codes available!

PKWallaby
07-28-2009, 10:46 PM

Hey, I was "one of those people" who knew nothing about codes and discounts and foolishly paid rack rate ONCE...then I discovered this wonderful place called the DISboards, and it changed my life!! (Well, my Disney life, that is!):goodvibes

OP, not to pry, but are you sure you didn't lose your tickets or something when you applied the KHP (room only) code. The rate sounds great, but what room were you in to be paying over $700 at night at AKL? Don't get me wrong, your savings is tremendous, but I didn't think AKL Savannah rack rate was that high.

Have a blast spending your extra cash...that's a lot of Mickey Bars!:earseek:

damamoli
07-28-2009, 11:14 PM

damamoli
07-28-2009, 11:15 PM
I have found that there are always deals available, I just never hear of them myself until its too late.

I think the room only code would not drop a 2 night reservation by $900 though - I hope you are not missing something...

Aisling
07-29-2009, 12:18 AM
OP, not to pry, but are you sure you didn't lose your tickets or something when you applied the KHP (room only) code. The rate sounds great, but what room were you in to be paying over $700 at night at AKL? Don't get me wrong, your savings is tremendous, but I didn't think AKL Savannah rack rate was that high.

I'm sure I didn't lose anything. It was a room-only code, and not a package, because I already have tickets.

Try plugging in my date on the WDW website, Nov. 29-Dec. 1, 2 nights, 2 adults, bunkbed savannah room (they only had bunkbed rooms available). The total comes to $1420. Per night $710

This is my new confirmation email, after calling and applying the code . The price in my original post didn't include tax,so it's a little higher in my confirmation:

Arrive:11/29/2009

Depart:12/01/2009

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
TOTAL PRICE:$549.00

Hotel
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Savanna View Bunk Bed (QJ)

Rate per Room/per Night (plus tax)$244.00

2 Nights

_______
$880
savings

I redid the math to include taxes, and I'm indeed saving a lot, $880! Just from applying the code.

I wasn't talking about the PIN codes, but the general codes that anyone can use. If it weren't for some of these Disney boards, I'd be paying $880 more. Those are the people I feel sad for, the ones who just book online or over the phone where these codes aren't mentioned. They just don't know.

I think the room only code would not drop a 2 night reservation by $900 though - I hope you are not missing something...

Crazy, but true!

Aisling
07-29-2009, 12:21 AM

mousesavers.com and also from reading these boards!

marie1981
07-29-2009, 06:50 AM
I am too very surprized about the $710/n. I could not checked the Disney site because it is down right now, but, according to Mousesaver, the full rack rate for your time and room type should have been $335/n. November 29 is in 'value' season....

I am quite sure you lost something.....

VAN
07-29-2009, 06:58 AM
I don't feel sad for them. A trip to WDW is a major expense. If you think you can go and not do your homework before hand - which would indicate that discount codes exist - then you deserve to pay full price.

Routinely when I plan a vacation - especially an expensive one - I try to find info on the internet, get books, talk to people, etc. Always on the lookout for ways to save money and maximize my experience.

It's pretty basic, but - yes - there are still a big number of people that just pay what they are told without even doing any research!!!

No I don't feel "sad" for them. I just wonder how they manage in life if they don't know enough to ask and research before spending the big $$!!! Amazing.

iman
07-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Van

You sound very "holier than though". Some people are new to the boards or even searching for discounts. Most people would assume if you call a hotel (disney or not) and ask for the best rates, then they would be provided. Instead of having the attitute, why not teach the newbies to the correct way to search for the best rates. My in-laws would have no idea how to find the best rates--are they dumb? no, they just have never been shown...

princessmom29
07-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Untill i stumbled across this board last year I really had no clue. I had always been told there was never a discount at disney!!! Now I know better!!!

LittleStinkerbelle
07-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Untill i stumbled across this board last year I really had no clue. I had always been told there was never a discount at disney!!! Now I know better!!!

I was just saying this same thing to DH over breakfast this morning! The first time we got a discount it was AAA on a couple of nights at WL in 2006 (21 years after my first visit:scared1:), then we got free dining the next year, after discovering the boards, and we've been going on discounts ever since. I wonder what kind of discounts were around for all our other trips and I just had no idea. I thought the rates were the rates:sad2:.

91Coupe
07-29-2009, 07:57 AM
That's a Great Deal for a short stay. I went back and checked ours for Oct. and the Free Dining Offer worked out cheaper.

wdwfan16
07-29-2009, 08:10 AM
I would have never booked a $700/n room.

Aisling
07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
I am too very surprized about the $710/n. I could not checked the Disney site because it is down right now, but, according to Mousesaver, the full rack rate for your time and room type should have been $335/n. November 29 is in 'value' season....

I am quite sure you lost something.....

Total $686
Date Rate per Night
Sun, Nov 29 $ 305.00
Mon, Nov 30 $ 305.00
Plus tax

Marie, you were right! I mistakenly booked a package! That's why it was $700/n. I checked again this morning on the website and realized I wasn't clicking on Room Only!

Ok, new figures:
I went from a total of $686 to $480, for a savings of $206, using code KHP for Room Only, for two nights.

I would have never booked a $700/n room.

You know what happened, I was so excited about going, I didn't even care about the price. I wouldn't let myself think about it. Of course now I'm thrilled it was only $355/n and then $240/n with the code.

Ok, so I didn't save almost $900, but I'm still happy. What I'm even happier about is thar if it weren't for the code coming out, I would have unknowingly paid for a package that included tickets that I didn't need. Waste of a lot of money. With the code, it made me call back and get it straightened out. Now I'm good to go!

AND yesterday I found out my son's friend's family booked a 3 room package and didn't know about free dining or the codes, so I had my son send them an email right away. I would have felt bad for them if they paid full price when they didn't have to, especially with 3 rooms!

VAN
07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Let me just say that there are other ways than the disboards to find out about discount codes. I see them advertised by Disney on TV and on their website, they are mentioned and the mousesavers website listed in the UG, etc.

And, YES, I do try to assist EVERYONE I know that is thinking about going to WDW to research their options via those websites, books, etc.

I love the disboards as much as anyone; however, if you open your eyes, you will see WDW discounts advertised and available for viewing in many locations.

I was getting a AAA discount for many years at Ft. Wilderness long before I heard of the disboards.

I also research discounts for other vacations that I take ... my last trip to Vegas I got 5 nights free. No, I did not find out about it on the disboards...I researched how to get my rooms comped and then followed through.

Again, I don't feel "sad" for those that do not bother to pursue discounts at Disney.

mom of 3G's
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Van

You sound very "holier than though". Some people are new to the boards or even searching for discounts. Most people would assume if you call a hotel (disney or not) and ask for the best rates, then they would be provided. Instead of having the attitute, why not teach the newbies to the correct way to search for the best rates. My in-laws would have no idea how to find the best rates--are they dumb? no, they just have never been shown...

I think this is a little harsh. I didn't take his comments out of context and he was stating what I was thinking. In the day and age of computers, it is easy to research; and for those that don't have the knowledge or expertise on searching then it is up to us (whether it be a friend, neighbor, relative or IN-LAW) to show them the way. And he never referred to anybody being "dumb". If you know of somebody going, I think it would be the wise thing to assist them and let them know that there are discounts available. I'm telling my friends this and I never think that I am "holier" than them for knowing that there are discounts available.

WantToGoNow
07-29-2009, 07:24 PM
I started visiting this board just before our trip 3 years ago. I started reading up on discount codes - never knew they existed before. When I got a discount and told my dh that our package had just been reduced by $1K, he thought I was lying. We assumed you booked your room at a certain rate and that's what you paid. This trip however, he was expecting me find something and would have thoroughly been disappointed had I not. I was on the phone at 7:00 am Monday and saved $1,138.

marie1981
07-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Marie, you were right! I mistakenly booked a package! That's why it was $700/n. I checked again this morning on the website and realized I wasn't clicking on Room Only!

Ok, new figures:
I went from a total of $686 to $480, for a savings of $206, using code KHP for Room Only, for two nights.

!

I am very happy for you Aisling ! Even if it is not as much as you thought, $206 is a GREAT discount for 2 nights !!! And you know what..... you are still saving $940... because if you would not have changed your reservations, you would have end up paying $1420 !! It is a great day, isn't it !!!

clanmcculloch
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm also always amazed that people don't seem to even know to look for deals. Just yesterday I got a call from a friend thanking me profusely for not only saving her $1200 for her upcoming Thanksgiving trip, but included with that was an upgrade from an AS Resort to POR in one of the trundle rooms to make more room for her family (her family fits SO much better in those rooms as the family consists of 2 parents, 11yo boy, 9yo girl and 2yo girl; the kids can now each have their own beds and the adults can actually share a bed). They were prepared to pay rack rate for their package.

momma2kiddos
07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm glad you got the situation corrected with your AKL visit. When you said $700/n I almost peed my pants because I'm planning a surprise trip Dec 2010! LOL I was like "oh well, no AKL for us" LOl so glad you got that straightened out.

And I'm forever lovin Disboards too because we took our first trip this year and because we applied a code, we saved about $200! So I love this board and plan to use codes for our 3/10 and 12/10 vacations!

wdwfan16
07-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Total $686
Date Rate per Night
Sun, Nov 29 $ 305.00
Mon, Nov 30 $ 305.00
Plus tax

Ok, new figures:

You know what happened, I was so excited about going, I didn't even care about the price. I wouldn't let myself think about it. Of course now I'm thrilled it was only $355/n and then $240/n with the code.

Ok, so I didn't save almost $900, but I'm still happy. What I'm even happier about is thar if it weren't for the code coming out, I would have unknowingly paid for a package that included tickets that I didn't need. Waste of a lot of money. With the code, it made me call back and get it straightened out. Now I'm good to go!

AND yesterday I found out my son's friend's family booked a 3 room package and didn't know about free dining or the codes, so I had my son send them an email right away. I would have felt bad for them if they paid full price when they didn't have to, especially with 3 rooms!

I am happy the room only was not $700/n. I went :scared1: when I read your numbers.

Portugal1000
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM

I hope this doesn't sound rude as I don't mean it to but could I ask why you would have considered paying $710 a night for just a room in the first place?

I am going to SSR on 11th for 17 nights on a great deal for UK residents, free dining and 44% off. Still consider that to be a little extravagant but total price with 14 day tickets $3600. There are 3 of us so works out $70 per person per night for food, accomodation and tickets.

Do people really pay $710 a night anywhere? Seems to me that there are discounts for everyone now. Lots of great deals in the UK which we haven't seen before which is great.

myjourney
07-30-2009, 01:02 PM
We rent DVC points, yes there is a slight risk but we have not had any problems for the last 3 years and you need to plan ahead to get into AK. That is what we pay for Sunday -Thursday Fri and Sat nights are higher. I usually pay $180 to $200 a night for weekends

Aisling
07-31-2009, 02:38 AM
I hope this doesn't sound rude as I don't mean it to but could I ask why you would have considered paying $710 a night for just a room in the first place?

Do people really pay $710 a night anywhere? Seems to me that there are discounts for everyone now. Lots of great deals in the UK which we haven't seen before which is great.

I don't feel you're being rude for asking.

This is a special, quick birthday trip, and I was feeling so excited about going that I ignored the price. I knew I'd be able to pay for it, so I decided not to sweat it or even think about it, just to do it. Of course I'm THRILLED that it wasn't $700/n afterall.

And yes, people really do pay that much. My family stayed in the Contemporary Tower Magic Kingdom View, and it was that much per night. I also spent 2 nights at WL Club Level (never again but that's a different thread) pre-DCL cruise and it was almost $700/n being Christmastime.

I'm not rich. I count my pennies and look for discounts. But I also save my money in a Vacation Club account so that I can take these Disney vacations that I love so much. Trust me that I'm thrilled to pieces that I'm saving $200 on this quick birthday trip!

minnie_michelle
07-31-2009, 08:29 AM
I actually do not feel bad for people that do not get discounts. The internet is full of free information. All anyone has to do is type in "Disney Discounts" in google, yahoo etc and they will finds TONS of websites (including DIS!) with information about saving money at Disney. Yes, you have to sift through it, but that is worth it to most people.

I saved tons of money on my own wedding by finding items that I wanted online and then typing in the name of the item in a search engine to find other websites that sold the same item for less. I literally saved $100's of dollars this way on bridal party gifts, decor, my veil, shoes etc.

The only people I feel bad for are the older generations whom have no interest in the internet because they don't have anyone to show them how wonderful it is.

annagirl
07-31-2009, 09:54 AM
I found this place doing just that - I ended up saving $150.00 + tax per night doing my research. And now that I'm looking around, I'll do better next time for sure.

brandiramirez
07-31-2009, 12:46 PM
I was one of those people, we went on our first trip last year and paid rack rate for everything one week at POR with deluxe dining. What can I say I loved going to Disney so much I found this board, and thank goodness I did. We are going back August 2010 and I have learned plenty of things thanks to the boards.

NancyIL
07-31-2009, 03:00 PM
There are only so many discounted rooms. If everyone knew about the codes and discounts, there would be that many more people fighting over the few discounted rooms! I tell my friends and relatives about discounts, but I won't feel bad if the general public doesn't know about them. With information so readily available on the internet, there's no excuse for someone to not know about them - unless they are too lazy to do a little research.

phyllis1966
08-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't know what kinds of discounts were available back in 1997, but that's when DH and I took our first WDW trip with friends who were self-proclaimed "experts." We used their TA and paid rack rate (from a brochure we were given) for the YC. We were young and inexperienced with vacations, discounts, etc.

In 2002, when we decided to take our 3 1/2 year old DD on her first WDW trip, a co-worker of my DH advised him to use DU - said he had a personal TA that was a WDW expert and got his family a great rate...the rest is history! She took great care of us, told me about the DIS and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Now I tell anyone who will listen (many don't want to bother) about the DIS so they can learn as we did.

:sunny:

Disney-Kim
08-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Our first trip was in 1992 and I still didnt' pay rack rates because we asked about discounts.
Our next trip was 1995...again asked about discounted rates, then in 1998 we went again but by then I had discovered the DIS and earlier AOL boards. I still always asked Disney about discounts...being the savy traveler I am;););)

I have always looked for deals when ever we have traveled anywhere. Why would anyone pay rack unless absolutely necessary:confused:

almost all the discounts are advertised on Disney's website currently, so its not some big secret.

Its like others have said, it just takes a little effort. ;)

kimberh
08-02-2009, 04:16 PM
We rent DVC points, yes there is a slight risk but we have not had any problems for the last 3 years and you need to plan ahead to get into AK. That is what we pay for Sunday -Thursday Fri and Sat nights are higher. I usually pay $180 to $200 a night for weekends

This is the Cheapest way to stay at Disney and the best room and bed!!

MCourtney
08-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Um ... I'm currently in the "on the hunt for bargains" category. :lmao:

Me too... on the hunt for New Year's Eve bargain......:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotf l2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Echo queen
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Since I have been going to wdw every year for the past 5 years coworkers and friends tell other folks to talk to me if they are planning a trip.:thumbsup2 The last person they reffered decided to go some where else because she didn't want to take the time to plan and research:rotfl2::rotfl2: Some folks really don't want help.:surfweb:

Happy99
08-05-2009, 02:50 PM
yes there are many people that just book and are unaware of discounts but between tv commercials ads in newspapers they should be aware something may be avaialble.

I started going to WDW before the message boards came around and was luck enough to find a TA that was very versed in Disney prices and offers and I have been booking with her ever since she has never let me down.

So even if the person doesn't know about codes if they book with a TA that is knowledgable they never have to search or be on the look out for it. The TA does the work for them.

No if the person books directly and can't bother to check Disney's site, newspapers or tv commercials for offers then, as another poster stated, they either don't care or can afford to just pay whatever they are paying