PDA

View Full Version : What AP do you have and why?

hollymattbenmilo
07-28-2009, 07:47 AM
3 to choose from.
Francilien, Fantasy and Dream

i think for most of us outside france wouldnt benefit from the francilien as there are soo many black out days and you cant use it on day 2/3 of trip.

The fantasy has a few black out days.. on the busier more expensive times

dream you get alot more discounts and no black out days, but its quite a leap in price.

I cant decide, my feeling is, its possilbe a better overall choice to get a dream then i dont have to worry about dates of a return trip... but on the other hand, the black out days are on expensive days with hotel etc... so we would possibly avoid these anyway..

wondering what others peoples views are on them really:surfweb:

britchic4
07-28-2009, 08:46 AM
For us the main advantage of Dream is that you get EMH. So you can stay offsite and still benefit from EMH.

hollymattbenmilo
07-28-2009, 08:48 AM
yes i agree, its a good advantage... but then i was thinking... if staying off site... what are the chances of getting in for emh? i guess depends how far away you are.

britchic4
07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
If you're in one of the nearby hotels its just as easy as getting the shuttle bus from Cheyenne for example, and in fact closer then DCR!

Rachie B
07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
We have Dream for EMH mainly ,as we stay offsite

also the free parking and other discounts came in very handy :)

Don't know if we will renew ours :(
can't get a free child's one anymore and so will be tres expensive for the 4 of us! :(

Looking at Francillien for next yr,we tend to go to DLRP as part of a longer France holiday, so not being able to go on day 2 and 3 wouldn't be such a problem

although lots of blackout days http://www.dlrpmagic.com/calendar/annual-passport-restrictions/2010-dates/
we could still go during the following school holidays :

feb half term
easter hols ( apart from 3rd and 4th april)
may half term
summer hols (end july / some of aug )
some of nov / dec for an xmas wkender

but then i spose you dont get free parking or discounts etc , so for an extra 30 per person may be better to go for the fantasy ? hmm

hollymattbenmilo
07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
haha see i am having same issue deciding between the other two! haha

A Small World
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
We have always had Dream mainly for EMH if staying off site. - We've stayed at Explorers, Magic Circus and Kyriad and made it there fine by 8.00

Remember though you dont all have to have the same pass so if you want it mainly for discounts you could just get one dream and the others fantasy or francilien (but you all need a dream for EMH)

Lisa_C
07-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Remember the rules have changed about free parking - you can no longer park at the hotels. I'm sure someone else will pipe up on the correct quotations here but I know that free parking is no longer an issue for the Dream Pass.

I know there is a thread about it somewhere in here but I'm a bit spaced out with Swine flu so someone will have to help find it :hug:

MinnieMouse73
07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
You still get free parking at the car park though, which would be 8 Euros per day if you're staying off site and driving in.

We have dream passes because we wanted to go Christmas week last year, and have just renewed mine and my daughter's (dream again) as we are going October half term for Halloween.

We stay in Bussy St George or Torcy and I could easily get there for EMH - if only I could get my daughter and husband out of bed in the mornings!

mummybear
07-28-2009, 05:35 PM
We have Dream APs mainly for EMH and that if we wanted a cheaper trip, we could stay off-site and not have to bother about buying day tickets, that would prob cost as much as an AP ;)

We have stayed at Premierre Classe at Bussy, Dream Castle and Magic Circus and still made it in for EMH (and thats with 2yr old and 8yr old). Admittedly, we prefer to go straight to the Park, and do the rides that there is NO WAY you would queue up for later (mainly Peter Pan) and then go back about 9.30am for breakfast. The 4 of us are not early eaters though, so this works for us, and if my 2 girls get a bit peckish, I give them a cereal bar.

I also like that I can just book any time of year. We have been a few times that have had blackout days with the Fantasy Pass, but if these weren't when you were going anyway, it doesn't matter.

The discounts were something that we didn't think about, until we realised, that all those couple of Euros here and there, on one trip alone saved us just over 30 Not huge, but better in MY pocket:laughing:

Cyrano
07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
We have a mixture of Dream and Fantasy APs. We got one Dream as it was useful to park at the Hotel New York, get free stroller and the shopping discount. As we stayed in Davy Crockett Ranch we did not need EMH benefit for the other annual passes.
Similarly I do not think we will renew with the changes to the benefits :sad1:

hollymattbenmilo
07-29-2009, 03:38 AM
I know you dont get free parking at the disney hotels, but it says you still get free parking.. is that in a disney car park?

Ware Bears
07-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Yes, you'll still get free parking but you'll have to park in the main disney car park. When it was possible to park free at the Hotel New York people preferred this option as there was less distance to walk to their car, especially if they were already in Disney Village.

We always all had Dream APs as we were then able to benefit from EMH even though we were staying off-site plus whenever we've been (apart from the October trip) there's always been at least one black-out date during our stay.

hollymattbenmilo
07-29-2009, 04:50 AM
oh ok, i understand.

yes i think... if you knoe for usre your going to go back the dream ap is really worth the extra..

DLPdaft
07-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I currently have one Dream AP (mine) and one Fantasy AP (DD).
I have had great value from mine - it lasted me 2 years instead of one as I was able to sponsor with it. I got my DD's first AP free as she was under 7, and the offer had just started. I couldn't sponsor on that one as it was free in the first place, so I renewed hers with a Fantasy AP, and she got 18 months for the price of 12.

However, I don't think I'll be renewing either of our APs when they run out. When we were last at DLRP in May this year, we didn't even bother going in for EMH, and we still did everything we wanted to do in Fantasyland and Discoveryland. If you tend to go to DLRP in midweek low season, EMH isn't really a must-do, in my opinion. And if you're staying onsite anyway, you get EMH included in your hotel price.
AP room rates for the past 6 months have been pretty rubbish, compared with the package price discounts available.

I have shareholder discount, which okay, doesn't cover everything that the Dream AP does, but it costs a whole lot less! (around 70 for 20 shares, and you never have to pay again to renew your shareholder club membership, compared to 189 euros per year for a Dream AP).

I'd say, if the free child AP offer comes back, it may be worth it for you. If my DD was under 7, and got a free AP, I probably would be tempted again. But without this offer, I wouldn't get a whole family APs these days.

davewasbaloo
07-30-2009, 03:26 AM
We have had the top level (Used to Fantasia, not called the Dream) AP for the last 10 years. we always opted for it to give us the flexability of when to go, the free parking, the EMH (since the Holiday Inn as was and Marriott offer better value experiences IMHO), free pushchair rental, and of course, we love table service meals feeling they are much better value than counter - so the free apperetif and the discounts mean we have normally recouped our outlay if we go for a five day trip. That means any subsequent trips get cheaper and cheaper.

Even if you go once a year, and go once late in the year and then go back the next year a little earlier, it pays off. Typically we manage to fit in between 10-18 days in the park each Annual Pass year, coupled with the fact we typically spend 150 each day (those discounts work out) it is great. Also we have been able to snag the DLH with a 50% and 40% discount before.

Plus I will never forget some of the VIP parties we have been to over the years - the preview of WDSP being the best one so far.

However, if you are an occasional visitor who flies or Eurostars in, and has this view that you must stay on site, then with the bargain packages lately, it is not as great a deal as it once was. If you are purely after discounts, then shareholder's club is a better option.

Or if staying offsite and not worried about EMH, and have no plans to go Christmas, Easter or Midsummer, then the Fantasy passes seem fine.

For the difference, I used to think the Dream pass was a bargain. However, now that the HNY parking has been taken away, and the staggered opening and closings, we are not sure if we will renew for the 1st time in 10 years :sad2:

hollymattbenmilo
07-30-2009, 06:41 AM
oh thats a shame. No we wouldnt get ap just for the discounts.. its mostly for ticket purposes.. as we would stay offsite.. explorers this time, trying to find cheaper then that if possible. So thats why mainly.. then the emh/pushchair rental etc is a bonus.
saying that.. i am still deciding between the two..as i think we wont be going on the black out days anyway... but then its basically a decision on if i think the emh are worth it... which i think they are..as out kids get up at 6am... so we would be hanging around otherwise and i loved loved loved going into the park and seeing the place all empty getting pics in front of castle etc.... so i think we know what i am edging towards....:wizard: haha

DLPdaft
07-30-2009, 07:27 AM
There are other things you can do if you're early risers and don't have EMH access though Holly. This year, instead of going to EMH, we went to the HNY instead in the mornings, and met the characters there. You could also do this at the NBC, or if you walk a little further, the Sequoia Lodge. Their hotel shops are also open at this time.

davewasbaloo
07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
If people have small kids and are staying off site, I think the Dream is still worth while for EMH. Our kids get up early too, so being able to get in early, enjoy a quiet Main street (and sometimes the vehicles), and do Fantasyland and Buzz with little waits, and also use Baby Switch on Space Mountain and not feel too guilty because it is a walk on is great.

What is disappointing is with staggered opening and closing times, there is a lot of walking for little ones to get on new attractions :mad:

Also, I find myself getting quite bored of Buzz (and frustrated I cannot get over the 700,000 points mark!). I wish there were evening EMH in the Studios from time to time.

But my mantra is, if someone is going to spend more than 5 days in the park in a year, an AP is definately worth while. We have done well with this one. The kids APs were free again (they are both under 7). We have had 23 table service meals (so a savings of about 160-230), We went to DLP last October and stayed at the DLH at 50% off - so a savings of 300. We used the pushchairs about 4 times too. we saved about 30 off Buffalo Bills. Also, we have saved 56 on parking. Although it is not a huge incentive, the apperetifs in the restaurants are worth 9 for the adults and the Orange Juice for the kids are 4 - so 24 value per meal (so about 480 worth of drinks). So not even including the saved admission, or discount on souvenirs, we have saved just over 1000 on an investment of 360. We have enjoyed 24 days in the park (what's a day ticket these days 44 each?) then add in EMH, which if factoring a normal day being 10 hours (e.g. 10am to 8pm), that means each day of EMH is worth 8.80 - so we have enjoyed from offsite days, just shy of 400 value).

are the Dream passes worth it? You decide?

My rationale, is I am not sure we will return to DLP for a while because of these hours. I have never allowed my passes to lapse, but I may just hold off until May next year (but I would rather trade my villa to go somewhere else now).

Booknut
07-30-2009, 08:38 AM
I have a Dream AP and although it was nice getting the discounts I have been incredibly disappointed at how poor the level of discounts for accommodation can be. It's not straightforward like at WDW where you get a set percentage off the room prices as at DLP you NEVER know what the room prices are.

With all the deals they are having for rooms with tickets included I will not be renewing my pass. Their shares are so cheap right now that it will be much more economical for me to buy enough shares so I don't have to pay a yearly fee. I'll get the discounts and Salon Mickey as a perk!

EMH isn't an issue as I wouldn't stay offsite at DLP.

hollymattbenmilo
07-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks, its nice to see peoples points of view on it. they would be mostly ticket purpose for me, discounts not so much... but things like buggy hire etc could be useful also...
i think either one i get will be good..