PDA

View Full Version : We're back - observations

milomummy
07-25-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm not going to do a TR *** I have a tendancy to waffle, so thought I'd do a general observations post following our 4 night/5 day stay.

Davy Crockett Ranch.
We chose this as hubby wanted to be able to physically 'leave' the parks. Last time we went we stayed in the Santa Fe and did the parks from dawn til dusk and he didn't enjoy it as much.
After reading lots of 'iffy' reports on Tripadvisor I was a bit wary of what we might find, but it was fine! I guess that most people who book here expect far too much from a 2* property. We had a 1 bed 'cabin' on the Big Bear Trail. Yes, it was a bit 'tired' looking, and it did have a faint musty smell, but compared to the room we had at the Santa Fe last time, it was brilliant. I particularly liked the fact that we had more space, our son could go to bed and we were still able to have the living area to read and chill out. It certainly wasn't awful, as some of the other reports had led us to believe. We said we'd definitely stay here again if we were to return. People were moaning about the bugs - well, you're in the middle of the forest for goodness sake, what do they expect? We didn't have anything out of the ordinary, in fact, a few daddy long legs and a couple of mozzies, we get more than that at home! The breakfasts were great, but the timing of collecting them meant we were always a little late for the EMH mornings. We bought some weetabix and milk which we had for breakfast then made up lunch using the 'breakfast' to take with us. The whole 'ranch' was immaculately kept and it was lovely to feel like we were on holiday. The little village was nice, especially in the evenings with the characters and play area, perfect. One complaint - the pool was FREEZING!!!! We only used it once, but ds was shivering so much we didn't stay in long!

Disney Studios
Loved it! Last time we went they were still constructing ToT, so it was great to go and see it all up and running. I went on it twice, hubby and ds once (was enough for them, hubby has no stomach for sudden drops, shame!). We all LOVED Crush, got there early one morning and queued for 40 minutes. I think that was the longest we queued for anything, wouldn't queue that long again for it, but loved the ride, it was 'awesome dude!' We went on all of the other rides except Tram Tour which we have done before and didn't fancy again. We did the Stunt Show this time round too, glad we didn't take ds last time as at 5 he was a bit jumpy with the bangs and the guy catching fire, so last time at 3 he'd have freaked I'm sure! DS loved Playhouse Disney Live and Stitch Live, we watched the Art of Animation (great) and then ds had a drawing lesson, he did Donald Duck which was quite tricky for him but he did a good job bless him. The guy who was 'teaching' was brilliant. We then spent time just looking around in there and ds also did a Mickey strip drawing. Loved the 'Stars n Cars' Parade and the 'Good Morning Studios' Parade. Stitch was his usual cheeky self when we saw him, instead of posing for pictures and signing autographs he was taking things from the kids and throwing them or running off. Great fun to watch but not a chance of getting close to any of the characters from the Good Morning Parade as people were swarming round them. Luckily ds is pretty chilled about meeting them (seen most already) so we just watched it all from a distance. It was nice to take the time to stroll around and take in the detailing.

Disneyland Park
I love this park, in fact *whispers*....I love it better than the one in Florida!
I don't know what it is but walking in and seeing the beautiful pink castle just gets me every time! We came in early every day for EMH and spent most of it going on Buzz continuously! Yesterday we got into the park at about 0825 and by 0900 we had 'done' Buzz 4 times! We did all of the rides we wanted to do, many, like Buzz, several times over. We did Autopia this time, what a waste! It's pretty useless and I certainly wouldn't queue for it, it just so happened that we were there around opening and were at the front of the queue for start time. Didn't go on Peter Pan, Snow White or Pinocchio as these all scared ds last time and he refused point blank to go near them. Had a few turns on Small World (I love this, it's so simple but well thought out and executed), Carousel, Dumbo, Orbitron, teacups etc. We had one go on BTM, ds was initially afraid of this but we persuaded him to go on and he actually loved it! We gave Indiana Jones a miss this time as we both found it very jerky and jolty last time, and with my back playing up a bit it was best to steer clear! We also gave Honey I shrunk the Audience a miss as ds didn't like the 3D shows in Florida and refused to go in here! We missed seeing the Lion King show but actually really enjoyed spending an hour in Videopolis watching old cartoons, it was a welcome place to sit down and have a rest stop. The parade was stunning, although cheeky ds said 'it is the same as the one we saw here before mummy'. I think he was expecting it to be different bless him! Why fix something if it isn't broken, that's what I say. It was lovely as always. We watched it twice, once from each side so that we saw everything. Loved the new Woody's round up area and we even enjoyed the Goofy's Summer Camp show.

Summary
This tme round we took our time with things, and enjoyed it so much more by being more relaxed and not trying to cram things in. The only thing that spoilt it for us (AGAIN!) is the ignorance and rudeness of other people. After our first trip we had vowed to never return due to the pushing and shoving and queue jumping, but we decided to give it another go. This time we were more prepared for it and made sure to avoid potential situations, ie we tried to stay away from the 'scrum' type meets, watching from the outside and enjoying it that way.
Things that annoyed us:
Smoking. Both me and dh are non smokers, I am a vehement anti smoker (sorry to all of you puffers out there) and I do not understand why smoking is freely allowed in the parks? Several times people with cigarettes in their hand almost swung their hot end into my 5 year old's face. In the queue for BTM, 2 young-ish girls were leaning out of one of the windows and smoking, blowing the smoke all over people and not caring about it! It was a wooden building with people all around yet they didn't care.
Character Scrums. As stated, we tried to avoid these as much as possible. On Thursday we happened to be in Adventureland when Aladdin was doing a meet and greet. So, we stood by the CM there and waited for the person to finish their pic, went to walk forward for our turn and boom, in pushes someone. This happened one more time before I loudly remarked that there was a queue and that people should use it! The CM said that they were powerless to 'make' people queue and that it was frustrating beyond belief, he was really lovely. I said that it was impossible to try to teach my 5 year old manners and respect if he didn't see it. Aladdin turned to us and said 'People in this place have NO manners, that's half the problem'. Both Aladdin and the CM were great, I swear Aladdin deliberately spent ages with ds just to annoy the others waiting :rotfl2:
CM's. Don't get me wrong, there were some really lovely CM's there, but oh my goodness, there were some really miserable ones too! Poor ds was a bit confused language wise as we are English but we live in Germany so he already has 2 languages to contend with. We taught him a few French basics and he always greeted the CM's at rides with and enthusiastic 'Bonjour' but few of them replied to him.
Food. I don't eat meat, although I do have fish on occasion. I found the lack of veggie options on a 'grab and go' basis really disappointing. The only thing I found was a grilled vegetable sandwich, which was lovely but very expensive....

So, there you go! We were really lucky for the most part with the crowds and the weather. We expected the crowds to be much bigger due to it being peak season but it was very manageable considering, and we did all the things we wanted to do. It rained really hard Wednesday evening and on and off all day Thursday but it didn't really interfere with any of our plans, we still managed to carry on as we wanted to. There are lots of places to hang out in a downpour.
Right, must be off now as I have a large hldall of washing to sort through, oh joys!

milomummy
07-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Do you know, I don't know why I bothered to write this out. 26 views of my post yet not one reply, what do I have to do to be part of this forum? I try really hard to offer useful words where possible in reply to other people's posts, yet I feel that I am not part of 'the club' :confused3:confused:

poppie123
07-25-2009, 05:12 AM
Oh milomummy i am sorry you feel that way :hug:

I have read through your report and i am glad you had a lovely time.

I agree about some of the CM's being miserable though and as for the smokers well don't even get me started.

FiFi Rose
07-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Glad you had a good time. We have stayed at Davy Crockett twice and loved it. We got back last Mon and I have to agree about the smoking:mad: My OH is a smoker and even he was annoyed by inconsiderate people smoking in queue areas.

cannp123165
07-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Thank you so much for sharing - it sounds like you had a good time, and I am glad you enjoyed Davy Crockett Ranch. :) I hope we find the crowds to be manageable - we are going in a few weeks. :)

Cyrano
07-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Sounds like you had a great time :goodvibes

Shame about the coldness of the water at DCR pool since we have always found the water lovely in the summer months.

Disneyland Park is truely a beautiful "Magic Kingdom" :goodvibes

BTW regarding views it may be that you post appeared on the front page or that people viewed your post quickly in the morning. You need to give it more than a few hours before expecting replies IMHO

Hope you have some photographs to add to your mini-report :)

Bolanette87
07-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Hi milomummy! Welcome back from your trip! :wave2:

Sounds like you had a lovely trip! I do agree with you about the smoking - It really does bug me too. Last time we were in the parks someone nearly jabbed a lit cigarette into my hair (On one of the few occasions we were in a slight crowd) so I totally understand what you're saying... I also agree that DLRP does need to extend its 'grab and go' Veggie options.... I'm not a veggie, but I do enjoy vegetarian food and I often think the counter services don't offer too much in the way of choice for veggies. I mean, theres only so many times you can have a plain pizza, basic salad, etc, isn't there? I really hope this is something they work on the future.....

You've also made me really wish I could stay at DCR....! It sounds so lovely and completely charming (Other than the freezing cold pool!)..... Sadly I'm a nervous wreck driving through the UK, so I doubt I'd ever pluck up the courage to drive France, meaning no DCR for us.....!!! :lmao:

Bob xoxoxoxox

Ms Poppins
07-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Glad you liked the new additions to the Studios - it was all change for us to.

I have enjoyed reading your observations, very useful info for those still planning.

I did read this early this morning, and did attempt to post a comment - but dis just kept crashing on me, maybe this is what happened to others?

Welcome back

A Small World
07-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Glad you enjoyed it more than last time and felt more relaxed about the trip

Smoking is meant to be banned around the park apart from designated areas but until CMs start to enforce this people are always going to continue to smoke everywhere. I agree though it is annoying and smoking in queuing areas is inconsiderate and dangerous

Cyrano
07-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Glad you enjoyed it more than last time and felt more relaxed about the trip

Smoking is meant to be banned around the park apart from designated areas but until CMs start to enforce this people are always going to continue to smoke everywhere. I agree though it is annoying and smoking in queuing areas is inconsiderate and dangerous

Sadly even at WDW where it supposed to be more rigidly enforced we saw smoking around the park.
I think CM's are reluctant to tackle guests on this. So I will say it again;) In order to change this behaviour it is up to other guests to highlight that smoking is not allowed.
I did it to a guest in the queue in Armegedon. He let me know that he thought the rules excluded him. I invited the CM to deal with it or I could talk to their manager. Result smoking guest removed from the queue :thumbsup2

This said it is only a few who flaunt the rules and it is not something that spoils the rest of our enjoyment of the parks :goodvibes

mummybear
07-25-2009, 05:49 AM
I appreciate you spending the time writing your report. I enjoyed it.:)

We are staying at the Davy Crockett in October and were a bit worried about reviews, so I'm pleased you have put a put a true review and not been nit picking like others can. Any advice on things they didn't have that we should take? Also, what did your breakfast consist of as 2 adults and a child? Just so we know what to expect.

I agree about rudeness/pushing with scrums. When we were there in June, I saw more of it than on our other trips, and it is really difficult trying to explain to our 3yr old that these people are just not nice, and we should wait our turn. But, I want my kids to have manners, so we just persevere.

And as for smoking:furious: My 3yr old seems to be at eye level with cigarettes and had a many a near miss!!

Glad you enjoyed your trip:cheer2:

FiFi Rose
07-25-2009, 05:57 AM
The Davy Crockett cabins were well equipped. I would take a couple of dishwasher tablets as these weren't provided and cloth and washing up liquid for the kitchen. Food in the onsite shop was very expensive so stop off at a supermarket on the way:goodvibes

The breakfast baskets provided were plentiful. We had croissants and a big french stick, milk, tea, coffee, butter, jam.

A Small World
07-25-2009, 06:00 AM
The Davy Crockett cabins were well equipped. I would take a couple of dishwasher tablets as these weren't provided and cloth and washing up liquid for the kitchen. Food in the onsite shop was very expensive so stop off at a supermarket on the way:goodvibes

The breakfast baskets provided were plentiful. We had croissants and a big french stick, milk, tea, coffee, butter, jam.

You used to get a voucher at check in to take to the shop to collect a smallpack with cloth, washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets - do they not do this now?

OceanAnnie
07-25-2009, 06:09 AM
I enjoyed your report. I've never been to DL Paris, but I'd like to go in the future!

juttawdw
07-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Thanks for writing you observations.

You are so right about the smokers they really annoy me and my husband who is allergic for the smoke.

When we where in WDS in june there was a CM who picked people out of the line who where smoking or cutting in line and removed them from the line (TOT).

Dollyrar
07-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Great review! We are going to the DCR next week staying in a 1 bed cabin, so it was so nice to get up and read your opinion on it :) Was stressing a bit about it tbh, and worried that it might disappoint us, but you have gotten me really excited now!! :banana::banana:
I wouldn't take it personally that nobody replied straight away to you today. I feel there are a lot of readers on this board who use it as a way of mainly getting information on Disney parks, rather than looking for active discussion. A lot of the time I just like to pop in for a read when I should be doing other stuff, and don't have the time to comment (mainly at my desk in work...!) :rotfl:
x

FiFi Rose
07-25-2009, 07:08 AM
You used to get a voucher at check in to take to the shop to collect a smallpack with cloth, washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets - do they not do this now?

We didn't get one on either of our two trips:confused3 I wonder if we missed something. It did seem a bit odd though as other than that we found the cabin very well equipped.

milomummy
07-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks, sorry for being huffy, I suppose I was tired.

With regards to the DCR;
Breakfast was 3 x croissants, 3 x 'milk rolls' (bread rolls slightly sweet tasting), and a large french stick, butter sachets, 3 x nutella sachets, 3 x strawberry jam sachets, 3 x fresh orange juice cartons, a nesquick milkshake powder sachet, a large carton of UHT milk. More than enough for us for breakfast and lunch. And it came in a cute little Disney box too.
Regarding the cleaning pack - you are given an information leaflet called the 'Gazette' (orr similar). If you take this to the onsite shop you get a little pack with a sponge, a cloth, 2 x dishwasher tabs and some multi purpose cleaning fluid. We actually got 2 of these as they didn't seem to check.
We had a frying pan, a few saucepans, plates, glasses, cups, knives, forks, spoons, a corkscrew, a 'sharp' knife. No chopping board which may have been useful (I just used a plate). There was a full toilet roll when we checked in but we took some with us, not sure if you could get it from housekeeping if you run out? We had 4 towels and a bath mat. I am 'pooh sized' and found the towels to be pretty titchy, but again, I took a couple of my own (bath sheets) so it wasn't an issue.
There was a full sized fridge with a small freezer compartment (handy to freeze capri suns/water to take in to the park the following day), a small kettle, a coffee machine, a 2 ring hob, a microwave and a full sized dishwasher. A large sofa (can be a bed too), 2 'armchairs', a dining table with 6 chairs and lots of cupboard space in the living area and bedroom..
We didn't really use the cabin for much other than sleeping. I had all good intentions of making a few evening meals but never bothered, after all, it was my holiday too! Honestly, after some of the reports I read I really was panicking about it all but I needn't have worried.

I have loads of pictures but am a total technophobe and have no idea as to how to put them on here. We had 2 great meals at Cafe Mickey - once on Monday evening which was planned and pre paid, and one impromptu lunch there yesterday to use up the rest of our spending money. We had some brilliant interaction both visits, Friar Tuck was in a particularly playful mood yesterday and was stealing kid's toys and running off then pelting their family with sweets, most entertaining!

mummybear
07-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks so much for that MILOMUMMY.

We are intending to go to the Auchan to pick up some supplies (I too have "The Good Intentions":rotfl:) So, it's great to know what's in the kitchen. I was wondering if there was freezer compartment, so thanks.

Breakfast does seem plentiful. I'm going to take weetabix aswell. That way we can have breakkie before we set off for EMH. I am right in thinking breakfast can be picked up from 7.30am? We too will prob eat this for lunch:)

Sorry if I have hijacked this thread slightly:rolleyes1

milomummy
07-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Not at all. We went to Auchan on our 2nd day and stocked up with goodies, it's a pretty cool shop (don't forget I live in Germany so I'm a bit limited in what I can get sometimes, therefore supermarkets are great fun to me!).
As I said, we got weetabix and milk then used our 'breakfast' to make lunch. Yes, you collect it from 0730, there are little huts dotted around where you go and fetch it from.
It's not hijacking at all, I like to be able to help if/where possible :D

Samf1971
07-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Thank you for all that extra info on the DCR, we're staying there in September and have a 2 bed cabin & you answered all the questions I had in my book apart from one - which is - is there an oven? or is it just a microwave? I was planning on taking my toaster as I don't think you get one in the cabin. 7.30 is a bit rushed if you're doing EMH so I might plan on using the breakfast for lunch - ooh yummy nutella though, sounds fab!

How far is the drive to the Auchan and this may be a silly question but did you notice if there was any fresh milk? I only saw long life stuff in the shops when we were there last year or is that a continental thing?

Anyway, thank you for your mini report, sounds fab, I agree with the smoking too & the queue pushing, we were at the Cheyenne last year and DS has a special needs buggy, trying to get on and off the "regular" bus was a nightmare as the crowds were intent on getting on/off before everyone else and not caring who they shove in the process.

angel girl
07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Sounds like you had a lovely time. We are back there tomorrow, but only for a day and a half, and knowing it will be busy, i had already decided that we will do the same as you-take our time to enjoy rather than hurtling round trying to cram everything in.

Shame you didn't like Autopia, it is a real hit with us guys, mainly because my youngest drives like a nutter on it and makes us all laugh (though I have told her I will not be getting into a car with her when she is old enough to drive :rotfl:)

Agree with you about the veggie options-I usually resort to an omlette burger, have grown quite fond of them over recent trips :goodvibes. Also agree about smoking-since the smoking ban over here, I am even more intolerant to cigarettes, like you I just don't see what place they have in a place that is so child-orientated :confused3

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed reading about your trip :thumbsup2

ps - good for Aladdin, be good if a few more characters might be able to follow his example, then the crowd-pushers might get the hint?!

Lisa_C
07-25-2009, 10:08 AM
While I am totally exhausted and preparing my very long TR (:lmao: you'll need a tea and loo break no doubt!) I can pick one thing out that I agree with even more than the smoking (which actually got me so badly that I stood up to a couple of them and gave them what for) and I ask you not to whisper but SHOUT it out. I LOVE Paris more than WDW too!! Maybe because I've not been back "home" for 18 months and I need to go back for the parks rather than live there - but in ALL honesty, I can't even remember having such a fab time as I did last week!!

We've even picked out to go back next year (where as WDW was going to be the big holiday) and cut down our time in Orlando (where as I can as I'm used to Orlando itself and can concentrate on the parks) :cool1:

So here's to DLRP :cheer2: :cheer2:

Epcot4Me
07-25-2009, 10:48 AM
I completely agree with you on the smoking. On more than one occasion I saw people smoking in the queues and that is just NOT ok. And I am not usually bothered by smoke (my dad is a smoker, and as odd as it is, the smell reminds me of home). But when you are standing directly behind someone with no way to move as they blow smoke at you, that just stinks (literally!)

I also agree on the lack of veggie options. For two days in a row on my trip I had the exact same meal for lunch and dinner: the garlic bread and the petite salade. It was fine, but I didn't need to eat it 4 times!

Glad you stood up for yourself about the cutting at the characters...and I'm happy Aladdin agreed with you. I knew there was a reason he was always my favorite:thumbsup2

karenmoloney
07-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Great review. I am going in 3 weeks & am dreading the character scrums, but I know DD1 will want to collect autographs & I don't want her to be disappointed. I'm glad you had a great time & got to do everything you wanted.

TotallyAngelic
07-25-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm not going to do a TR *** I have a tendancy to waffle, so thought I'd do a general observations post following our 4 night/5 day stay.

Davy Crockett Ranch.
We chose this as hubby wanted to be able to physically 'leave' the parks. Last time we went we stayed in the Santa Fe and did the parks from dawn til dusk and he didn't enjoy it as much.
After reading lots of 'iffy' reports on Tripadvisor I was a bit wary of what we might find, but it was fine! I guess that most people who book here expect far too much from a 2* property. We had a 1 bed 'cabin' on the Big Bear Trail. Yes, it was a bit 'tired' looking, and it did have a faint musty smell, but compared to the room we had at the Santa Fe last time, it was brilliant. I particularly liked the fact that we had more space, our son could go to bed and we were still able to have the living area to read and chill out. It certainly wasn't awful, as some of the other reports had led us to believe. We said we'd definitely stay here again if we were to return. People were moaning about the bugs - well, you're in the middle of the forest for goodness sake, what do they expect? We didn't have anything out of the ordinary, in fact, a few daddy long legs and a couple of mozzies, we get more than that at home! The breakfasts were great, but the timing of collecting them meant we were always a little late for the EMH mornings. We bought some weetabix and milk which we had for breakfast then made up lunch using the 'breakfast' to take with us. The whole 'ranch' was immaculately kept and it was lovely to feel like we were on holiday. The little village was nice, especially in the evenings with the characters and play area, perfect. One complaint - the pool was FREEZING!!!! We only used it once, but ds was shivering so much we didn't stay in long!

Disney Studios
Loved it! Last time we went they were still constructing ToT, so it was great to go and see it all up and running. I went on it twice, hubby and ds once (was enough for them, hubby has no stomach for sudden drops, shame!). We all LOVED Crush, got there early one morning and queued for 40 minutes. I think that was the longest we queued for anything, wouldn't queue that long again for it, but loved the ride, it was 'awesome dude!' We went on all of the other rides except Tram Tour which we have done before and didn't fancy again. We did the Stunt Show this time round too, glad we didn't take ds last time as at 5 he was a bit jumpy with the bangs and the guy catching fire, so last time at 3 he'd have freaked I'm sure! DS loved Playhouse Disney Live and Stitch Live, we watched the Art of Animation (great) and then ds had a drawing lesson, he did Donald Duck which was quite tricky for him but he did a good job bless him. The guy who was 'teaching' was brilliant. We then spent time just looking around in there and ds also did a Mickey strip drawing. Loved the 'Stars n Cars' Parade and the 'Good Morning Studios' Parade. Stitch was his usual cheeky self when we saw him, instead of posing for pictures and signing autographs he was taking things from the kids and throwing them or running off. Great fun to watch but not a chance of getting close to any of the characters from the Good Morning Parade as people were swarming round them. Luckily ds is pretty chilled about meeting them (seen most already) so we just watched it all from a distance. It was nice to take the time to stroll around and take in the detailing.

Disneyland Park
I love this park, in fact *whispers*....I love it better than the one in Florida!
I don't know what it is but walking in and seeing the beautiful pink castle just gets me every time! We came in early every day for EMH and spent most of it going on Buzz continuously! Yesterday we got into the park at about 0825 and by 0900 we had 'done' Buzz 4 times! We did all of the rides we wanted to do, many, like Buzz, several times over. We did Autopia this time, what a waste! It's pretty useless and I certainly wouldn't queue for it, it just so happened that we were there around opening and were at the front of the queue for start time. Didn't go on Peter Pan, Snow White or Pinocchio as these all scared ds last time and he refused point blank to go near them. Had a few turns on Small World (I love this, it's so simple but well thought out and executed), Carousel, Dumbo, Orbitron, teacups etc. We had one go on BTM, ds was initially afraid of this but we persuaded him to go on and he actually loved it! We gave Indiana Jones a miss this time as we both found it very jerky and jolty last time, and with my back playing up a bit it was best to steer clear! We also gave Honey I shrunk the Audience a miss as ds didn't like the 3D shows in Florida and refused to go in here! We missed seeing the Lion King show but actually really enjoyed spending an hour in Videopolis watching old cartoons, it was a welcome place to sit down and have a rest stop. The parade was stunning, although cheeky ds said 'it is the same as the one we saw here before mummy'. I think he was expecting it to be different bless him! Why fix something if it isn't broken, that's what I say. It was lovely as always. We watched it twice, once from each side so that we saw everything. Loved the new Woody's round up area and we even enjoyed the Goofy's Summer Camp show.

Summary
This tme round we took our time with things, and enjoyed it so much more by being more relaxed and not trying to cram things in. The only thing that spoilt it for us (AGAIN!) is the ignorance and rudeness of other people. After our first trip we had vowed to never return due to the pushing and shoving and queue jumping, but we decided to give it another go. This time we were more prepared for it and made sure to avoid potential situations, ie we tried to stay away from the 'scrum' type meets, watching from the outside and enjoying it that way.
Things that annoyed us:
Smoking. Both me and dh are non smokers, I am a vehement anti smoker (sorry to all of you puffers out there) and I do not understand why smoking is freely allowed in the parks? Several times people with cigarettes in their hand almost swung their hot end into my 5 year old's face. In the queue for BTM, 2 young-ish girls were leaning out of one of the windows and smoking, blowing the smoke all over people and not caring about it! It was a wooden building with people all around yet they didn't care.
Character Scrums. As stated, we tried to avoid these as much as possible. On Thursday we happened to be in Adventureland when Aladdin was doing a meet and greet. So, we stood by the CM there and waited for the person to finish their pic, went to walk forward for our turn and boom, in pushes someone. This happened one more time before I loudly remarked that there was a queue and that people should use it! The CM said that they were powerless to 'make' people queue and that it was frustrating beyond belief, he was really lovely. I said that it was impossible to try to teach my 5 year old manners and respect if he didn't see it. Aladdin turned to us and said 'People in this place have NO manners, that's half the problem'. Both Aladdin and the CM were great, I swear Aladdin deliberately spent ages with ds just to annoy the others waiting :rotfl2:
CM's. Don't get me wrong, there were some really lovely CM's there, but oh my goodness, there were some really miserable ones too! Poor ds was a bit confused language wise as we are English but we live in Germany so he already has 2 languages to contend with. We taught him a few French basics and he always greeted the CM's at rides with and enthusiastic 'Bonjour' but few of them replied to him.
Food. I don't eat meat, although I do have fish on occasion. I found the lack of veggie options on a 'grab and go' basis really disappointing. The only thing I found was a grilled vegetable sandwich, which was lovely but very expensive....

So, there you go! We were really lucky for the most part with the crowds and the weather. We expected the crowds to be much bigger due to it being peak season but it was very manageable considering, and we did all the things we wanted to do. It rained really hard Wednesday evening and on and off all day Thursday but it didn't really interfere with any of our plans, we still managed to carry on as we wanted to. There are lots of places to hang out in a downpour.
Right, must be off now as I have a large hldall of washing to sort through, oh joys!

Hi
We must have been there at the same time as you. We got caught in the rain Wednesday night going back to the hotel after a lovely meal at Cafe Mickey. We also got soaked on Thursday heading back to the hotel for our transfer to the airport - big mistake taking no rainwear and only one pair of shoes each - made for a soggy flight home!
Sounds like on the whole you had a great time though - as did we!

milomummy
07-25-2009, 01:32 PM
How far is the drive to the Auchan and this may be a silly question but did you notice if there was any fresh milk? I only saw long life stuff in the shops when we were there last year or is that a continental thing?

Auchan is about 5 minutes drive from the DCR. It's HUGE! One word of warning, the way we went, the turning onto the road is on a traffic light but it never changed to green, and there was a give way sign near it. After sitting there for quite some time and watching the other traffic have 2 or 3 goes of the lights, we figured that it was more of a 'give way' than stop at the lights kind of junction. Bit scary it has to be said, to go when the lights are on red! Maybe someone else can add to that point?

We were able to buy fresh milk in there, and the DCR shop had it too a couple of days that we went in.

milomummy
07-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi
We must have been there at the same time as you. We got caught in the rain Wednesday night going back to the hotel after a lovely meal at Cafe Mickey. We also got soaked on Thursday heading back to the hotel for our transfer to the airport - big mistake taking no rainwear and only one pair of shoes each - made for a soggy flight home!
Sounds like on the whole you had a great time though - as did we!

Me and ds had a couple of pairs of shoes but silly dh only took one pair, more fool him ;) I have to alternate shoes every few days - at least, that is my excuse for having so many pairs of shoes :rotfl2:

We were lucky as we drove so had no limitations on what we could take. We took raincoats for each of us, went to put the one on ds only to find that he had someone else's from school which was FAR too small. Ended up buying him a very fetching bright yellow poncho. He loved it but we thought it made him look a bit like ET.

tennisfan
07-25-2009, 03:20 PM
SOunds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing:goodvibes

hollymattbenmilo
07-26-2009, 01:12 AM
sounds really nice, we are thinking of maybe staying here next time when we go by car. shame about the swimming pool being cold, as its one of the nice advantages of the hotel. glad you had a lovely tim. the smokers really bothered me. esp as they seem to start up when you are all waiting for parade! i did make a fuss... didnt say anything directly.. but did the whole "make a fuss" thing of learning over my children, guarding them and tutting.... they got the message eventually... hahahahaha:rotfl:

DCLMan
07-26-2009, 01:39 AM
We've stayed at DCR twice. The pool is the best of any pool at DLP but there were two things that put me off from staying again. Parking in the main car park and walking into the park is a long way and a lot further at the end of a long day and the breakfast times mean you cannot be at opening for EMH.

The cabins at DCR do not seem to be as well cared for as the rooms we've had at the Hotel Cheyenne or the Hotel New York.

Ware Bears
07-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Welcome back :wave2: glad you enjoyed yourselves more this time round :thumbsup2 it's no secret on here that I prefer DLRP's Disneyland park over WDW's Magic Kingdom! ;)

and :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: for Aladdin!