PDA

View Full Version : Rear Camera for RV

kaguilbeau
07-24-2009, 10:11 PM
My DH wants a rear camera to hook to the back of his RV so he can see how to hook up the boat.

We checked Best Buy, WalMart & Radio Shack with no luck. I did find some online, but really need to know some must-have features.

I told him I'd come here to ask for help.

Anyone have opinions?

becky1960
07-25-2009, 05:27 AM
There is bunch of them on Ebay...

polkadotsuitcase
07-25-2009, 05:58 AM
My ILs got my hubby one from WMT. It worked fine for about 4 months, then somehow water got inside it and it went kaput. Also, we've read that the wireless ones don't pick up as far as they advertise -- depending on the distance you're placing the monitor from the camera, you may want to consider that! Good luck.

Live4FW
07-25-2009, 06:25 AM
I have the vr3 camera which is sold at pepboys and walmart for under $100. I had to use the $29 wired option as the wireless was useless. The system uses same frequency as wifi and others. Could not get a picture with camera and received sitting next to each other on a bench. Have you seen how many houses have wifi?

It works ok. I wouldn't count on it for backing up (precision). It is good for quick checks for people, childern, bikes. We have a factory system in the honda van and there is no comparison. I can use the Honda system to back into a parking space with cars on either side and behind. I can't trust the vr3 to that level.

I mainly got it for hitching up to the trailer. It works great for this. No more back and forth till I am set.

PrincessNana
07-25-2009, 03:00 PM
I have no useful information on this, but, can you buy one at Camping World or an auto dealership? My Tahoe has one that works great and so does my motorhome. (They both came factory installed)

kaguilbeau
07-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Co-workers of DH have bought them online, at WalMart and Best Buy. I know we can find one, we just couldn't find any last night to actually hold in our hands and look at.

Mostly I'm wanting advice about what features to look for, stay away from, etc.

Since the monitor will be in the truck and the camera on the back of the 27 ft 5th wheel - I'm wondering if that distance might be too far for a wireless hookup.

Guess will have to research some more.

krosmith
07-27-2009, 09:10 PM
We got a nice rear camera and monitor system from Sams Club. My husband liked it so much he got another one to go on our van. He hooked it up himself and it was pretty easy. Sometimes when we are driving through town though it will pick up security cameras from stores we are passing, it's kind of funny. :laughing:

Good luck, :hippie: