PDA

View Full Version : Q for those who go long distance by car uk

hollymattbenmilo
07-24-2009, 03:03 AM
I did and re did the question title... and it enver made sense...so will leave it. haha

ok... what my question is...

for those who go by car from cornwall, scotland... far distances..

how do you do it?

if onsite... do you drive to ashford.. park car, then hop on eurostar to disney?

if offsite.. drive to the euro tunnel... then get on, then get off then drive remaining distance to disney/or hotel.

just wondering how it all works.

and whats the cheaper option/easier option with young children?

thank you!!

mollies_mum
07-24-2009, 03:12 AM
We live in Nottingham and in January we went to DLP via the Eurotunnel.
We drove down the night before as it was a 5ish hour drive and got a cheap 19 room at Travellodge which was 5 mins away. It was very nice, we got some dinner and an early night.
We then got up early and got the Eurotunnel at 6am ish. It was sooo easy, much easier than I thought it would be. Within 45 mins we were in France. It was then a very easy 3 hour drive and we were at DLH for lunch.
My DD who was 9 slept/chilled out in the back with a pillow/duvet etc and we had a load of drinks/snacks in the boot.
DH and I agreed that it was a great way to do it as we could easily take what we wanted in the car and we shared the drive. We had a Satnav which I would recommend but it isn't necessary.
I don't know how old your little ones are but I know that if I had more than 1 child I would be driving through the Eurotunnel everytime for the convenience.
It's cheap as well, we booked a good few months in advance and it only cost us 80ish return. There are also a number of crossings a day so you have the freedom to choose times that suit you.
I would definitely recommend it :thumbsup2

scampbunny
07-24-2009, 03:52 AM
hiya
were in the midlands too, and so far for all 3 trips weve driven (once was by myself with 2 kids lol)

when as a family, first time we drove down in early hrs, straight across and then down to disney, which was tiring all round, so second time we drove to folkestone and stopped in the holiday in express, then drove over in arly hrs - much better!!

third time i drove straight down and across, but we were stoppin with dh just over 1 hr from calais so not too bad! driving back we do thru the night usually as it means kids sleep!!!!

its takes us nearly 4 hrs to folkestone and then 3 hrs to disney, and i find the 3 hrs in france driving so realxing, but uk is a nightmare lol

i have a sat nav and it makes the journey so easy. u can get a cheaper deal if ur travellin within 5 days, over that its not as cheap, but u can use tesco points for it ;)

hollymattbenmilo
07-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Thank you very much, is 80 quite standard?

We have a sat nav, just need to update it for france.

sounds like a plan.. i do like the idea of having car, because it also means we could go visit a castle in france.. things like that.

but also be interested in finding out a bit about euro star..and costs.. as matthew and i were thinking if we got ap's... would be quite nice to pop over for 2 nights for our anniversary together next year! wondering what sort of price this is, and how the car parking works?

ScottishThistle
07-24-2009, 07:47 AM
We drive from Glasgow to Folkestone or Dover the day before and stay in a hotel overnight. If we go to Folkestone it's either the Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express and if we're going by ferry from Dover we stay at the Premier Inn at the Eastern Docks which is where you leave from.

If we go by Eurotunnel we tend to get on one between 730 or 8am and are in Calais half an hour later. We always stay onsite but having the car is a big bonus. If you collect Tesco clubcard vouchers you can pay for your Eurotunnel crossing with them which makes it even cheaper. Once we get off at Calais, we're in Disney 3 hours later. Our kids are 3 and almost 8 and they love the car journey.

If we go by ferry from Dover we go with Norfolkine. It usually costs under 30 return for the car and the 4 of us which is an amazing price! It takes 2 hours for the sailing but it's nice as we usually get the 8am ferry and have a nice breakfast on board. There are kids soft play areas and also little cinema areas for them with big cushions etc to lie on. By the time we've had our breakfast, the kids spend the rest of the journey playing and we're there in no time. It's nice to get the chance to relax before the drive. The drive to Disney from Dunkerque is exactly the same length of time (maybe a teeny bit quicker actually) and you'd get off the ship at 11am French time so at Disney for 2pm.

Rachie B
07-24-2009, 10:00 AM
We live in South Wales, so have a fair drive to the Eurotunnel

We tend to stay overnight in a cheapy Travelodge or similar, then get an early morning crossing :)

but for our Dec trip we went by Eurostar
again stayed overnight nearby ,and then parked the car in the multistorey carpark

used airmiles with tesco deals to pay for eurostar
and also use deals to pay for Eurotunnel too

x

A Small World
07-24-2009, 10:39 AM
We live in Lancashire near Manchester so again a long drive south to Ashford but I prefer it to flying.

We go through the tunnel as you get put on the next one if you arrive early or a bit late.

We have sometimes stayed in Travel Lodge over night at Ashford - gone to Frankie and Bennys for dinner and then got an early crossing through the tunnel arriving at DLP for lunch or sometimes we have done it all in one go - going through the tunnel in the middle of the night but we find of we do this we definietely need a sleep in the afternoon on the first day.

The tunnel works out cheaper than Eurostar as you only pay per car not per person

Samf1971
07-25-2009, 10:07 AM
This is our first time driving, going from Leeds down to Folkestone and staying overnight then early morning tunnel crossing (thank you Mr Tesco!) and driving to DCR it's the first time I've driven in France but I've bought a new satnav (old one ancient!) and have printed out the Michelin route just in case so we should be ok, really looking forward to driving and being able to take the journey at our own pace, we were on Eurostar last time and if we ever were going with Eurostar again would definately upgrade to the leisure select as we found the standard carriages really packed and hate the way that Eurostar split the party up with seating

Ms Poppins
07-25-2009, 01:19 PM
We drive from Glasgow to Ashford and stay overnight. There are lots of hotels and plenty of places to eat in the evening.

We park in the multi-storey car park beside Ashford International Station - level 5 takes you straight to the station.

Then we get Eurostar. We have always booked our Disney trips through an agent, so don't know about exact prices for Eurostar, but I know that you can get some good deals on their website if you're quick.

We've never been separated as a family, this time 5 of us and all within touching distance of each other. I find getting on and off really quite easy. The platform is numbered with your carriage number on your ticket, so you know where to stand. There seems to be plenty of room for your luggage, and our buggy fitted no bother. I also like that you can take snacks and stuff in your luggage for your trip, as opossed to flying it can be a bit limiting.

Having flown to DLP once before, I don't think I'll be doing again soon - by the time you work out the hours spent getting to the airport, parking, hanging about, and then transfers at the other end, you can really waste a lot of time. Its a lot less stressful driving too.

I've not driven in France yet, maybe one day.

The best thing though for me is that you arrive at DLP at lunchtime, and on your last day the direct train leaves DLP at about 19:30 which means you have your whole last day in the park, without having to leave early for transfers to the airport. I really hated leaving the park knowing I had a 'paid' ticket that was not being used!

whittysmum
07-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Last time we stayed in a cheap travelodge just outside Ashford and then left the car at the station, this time we have paid for Eurostar with Airmiles so are travelling from London. We booked the travelodge when the special offer started, 29 the night before we travel and 29 the night we return and are making a week of it by visiting London for 2 days as well. We have a family railcard so has only cost us 38 return for all 4 of us from S Wales. DH has never fancied driving so this is the easiest option for us.

hollymattbenmilo
07-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Thank you everyone, lots of food for thought. I think... call us made.. but we are used to long days with the kids... and If I did 3/4 hours drive then matthew did the rest we could do straight through. Kids go to bed before 8 anyway... so... we could possibly do it that way.

I think next time i will def go for driving to give it a go. we are def going to get aps on our enxt trip in feb, then hoping in summer 2010 to do 7 days in france 4 in park, others elsewhere. then go abck in october half term for milos birthday!