PDA

View Full Version : Where would you eat for Thanksgiving at Disney?

Disneyforus
07-21-2009, 12:55 PM
We will not be going into any parks on Thanksgiving Day, and would like to have a nice Thanksgiving Meal...something our kids will enjoy. We check out the next day so it will be our last "hurrah".

lklasing
07-21-2009, 01:01 PM
We had Thanksgiving dinner last year at Trail's End, and I honestly can't recommend that you do that. I'm definitely not a Trail's End hater, as we had several good meals there over our Thanksgiving trip, but the Thanksgiving dinner was really poor. They took off a lot of the standard offerings to replace them with more traditional Thanksgiving items, but they just weren't very good. The desserts were the saddest - they didn't have hardly any of the usuals and really only offered pumpkin pie. It was the most dreadful pie I have ever seen. Clearly mass produced and just so very, very sad.

Having said all that, I really don't know the answer to your question of where you should eat. All I can say is where not to! :upsidedow

Have a great trip!

Leslie

auntie
07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK..they have a traditional turkey dinner. We ate there and liked it very much. I've heard they've done away with the characters now. I enjoyed them dressed in colonial garb..was very cute. Even so, the food was decent, and I think I might give that a try for a Thanksgiving meal.

big kahuna1
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Ain't nothin' like a Turkey, injected with Creole Butter and Deep Fried served up with stuffin', Green Beans, my Wife's famous baked Carrot and Cream Cheese concoction, Rolls and Desert. Oh, I forgot...and BEER! All at the camp site. Simply Fat and Happy eatin'!:thumbsup2

liv luvs disney
07-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Like Steve, I was gonna suggest a meal at the campsite. I love homemade grub better than ANY restaurant fixins.

BradyBz12
07-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Well if you want to go the NONtraditional route....

One of the best T-day meals we had while at WDW was over at The Crab House in Orlando. Food was great and the place was practically empty that day! ;)

We're hoping to be at FW over Thanksgiving next year, and I'm shooting for turkey at the campsite. I figure if I can pull off turkey, stuffing, cornbread and veggies in a WalMart parking lot with no electricity (on our way down to FW in '07) preparing a full meal while we're actually PARKED and have full access to our grill and a picnic table should be a breeze.

LadyBeBop
07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
I'd go with the deep fried turkey. :yay:

But I'd do a trial run turkey before Thanksgiving, maybe for some special Sunday meal. Although deep frying a turkey is relatively easy, it's still fairly tricky. You want to make sure you don't overcook or undercook the turkey. And sometimes, you can do both to the same turkey.

Do a Google search for deep fried turkey.

CCIntrigue
07-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Been at the fort many times for Thanksgiving ... always eat at our site! Nothing better than a homecooked meal from the freezer.

I'mDownWithDisney
07-21-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd go with the deep fried turkey. :yay:

But I'd do a trial run turkey before Thanksgiving, maybe for some special Sunday meal. Although deep frying a turkey is relatively easy, it's still fairly tricky. You want to make sure you don't overcook or undercook the turkey. And sometimes, you can do both to the same turkey.

Do a Google search for deep fried turkey.

I have managed to do that.:sad2:

To the OP I bet that Wispering Canyon would be pretty good.

Tri-circle-D
07-22-2009, 07:42 AM
I just re-read the original post, and see that the OP does not plan to go to any parks, and is looking for something fun to do as a last hurrah. Lklasing mentioned Trail's End. But there is another option. Here were the two offerings made at the Fort last year:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/Tri-Circle-D/ThanksgivingFW2008141.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/Tri-Circle-D/ThanksgivingFW2008142.jpg

The Thanksgiving at the Fort option is hosted at the Ft. Wilderness Pavilion. This is where Mickey's Backyard BBQ is normally hosted. This option includes a live band, and dancing with Disney Characters. It also includes beer and wine. I wouldn't expect the food quality to be any better than Trail's End. All the food comes out of the same kitchen. I have never visited either venue on Thanksgiving day, but the outside event with characters would probably be fun for the kids.

Another suggestion is the Hoop Dee Doo Review. If you have never done that, it would be a fun thing to do as a family. The only thing is I would imagine that it is already fully booked.

TCD

Kagoguen
07-22-2009, 10:23 AM
:) I'm not sure about Thanksgiving Dinner at Disney but Cracker Barrel has a good Thanksgiving Dinner, we ate there last year.

RocklandRVers
07-22-2009, 01:09 PM
:) I'm not sure about Thanksgiving Dinner at Disney but Cracker Barrel has a good Thanksgiving Dinner, we ate there last year.

I would have chosen Cracker Barrel too. However I know DS would probably opt for either deep frying a turkey at the campsite (we have done it at home the past 2 years) or going to either the Yachtsman Steakhouse or Le Cellier. He is a beef eater. When we went out to a restaurant for dinner a couple of times on Thanksgiving at home he chose prime rib and DW and I had the turkey with all the trimmings.

Kagoguen
07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I would have chosen Cracker Barrel too. However I know DS would probably opt for either deep frying a turkey at the campsite (we have done it at home the past 2 years) or going to either the Yachtsman Steakhouse or Le Cellier. He is a beef eater. When we went out to a restaurant for dinner a couple of times on Thanksgiving at home he chose prime rib and DW and I had the turkey with all the trimmings.

:lmao: When ever I hear about deep frying a Turkey, it reminds me of that commercial where the fryer explodes, turkey everywhere, house on fire, the guys all black and his hair smoking...all that said I bet that it is delicious.

des1954
07-22-2009, 03:05 PM
We've had T-day dinner twice at Trail's End, and it was crappy to say the least. You might want to check out Pop Century Food Court and see what "Mom's Special" is for that day. I don't know if they serve the traditional T-day dinner or not, but it's worth calling to find out. We've never been disappointed with the "Mom's Special", and you can use your drink mugs.

auntie
07-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Sorry..just realized you said you wouldn't be going to any of the parks. So Liberty Tree is out. One of favorite restaurants is the Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club.:thumbsup2 They have a great buffet. It's called a clam bake..but there's great selection of food if you don't care for fish. I would imagine that many of the resorts would offer turkey on the menu for Thanksgiving..if that's what you're looking for.

Escape Artist
07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I think my most relaxed Thanksgiving Dinner ever was one time when we got take-out. It's a long story as to why, but I'd never thought of it before. So I'd find a restaurant in the area that does take out, place an order, pick it up and relax at the campsite.

Ta da, traditional Thankgiving dinner with no long wait, crowded restaurant, rowdy kids or frightening bill, and it's super easy for the "cook" too! Sounds like camping holiday heaven to me. Since you're leaving the next day, you might appreciate an "easy" Thanksgiving, so you've got more time to relax or have a few other last hurrah's at WDW instead of worrying about food preparation.

If you don't want to "cheat" quite that much, there are lots of grocery stores that will sell you the meal as a "heat-n-eat" kind of thing. Even deep-fried turkey, too!

Sue in Texas