PDA

View Full Version : Orlando July 2009 Pre-Trip

mfoz1
07-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Well we made it back. I hope to provide a day-by-day trip report over the next few days as some of them will not take very long to write as we chill-axed (is that the correct spelling?) and there’s not a lot more I can say about that. As always our pre-holiday ideas and plans were changed or adapted at the last minute and so things that we expected to do were either shelved completely or moved around to accomodate other stuff (mostly shopping) but not a single pair of shoes were purchased this time.

Nine days goes very quickly, too quickly really although the holiday itself did the job as I feel much more relaxed and I am even looking forward to finding a new job (the sooner the better).

I must mention the weather, which was far too hot, and if we had planned to do Disney then I don’t think I would have been able to cope with it. The weather forecast said that is was low to mid 90’s most days but it felt a good deal hotter than that. I have no idea how people deal with walking around parks all day and are able to queue for rides. The best I could manage was a quick hop from the sun lounger to the swimming pool. Although we have been in July once before I didn’t recall it being as hot as this although Deb assures me it was. I also didn’t realise that July is lightning season and sure enough we were treated to some impressive afternoon storms.

First time ever we encountered a pervert at Typhoon Lagoon and then learned that there had been four similar instances in Orlando waterparks this summer. Then it happened again at Typhoon Lagoon on Thursday. This time involving a 14 year old boy. I have been coming here for 15 years and have always felt safe on Disney property and the thought of that kind of thing happening has never crossed my mind. Of course thinking about it now it seems obvious that a waterpark would be a magnet for people like that. What is the world coming to?

Some aspects of Disney has changed and not for the better in my opinion. Downtown, especially PI and West Side are like ghost towns and feel like they have been abandonned. Personally we have enjoyed many an evening strolling through PI people watching and having a dance to Frankie and the West End Boys. Deb and I also used to enjoy the Rock’n'roll club and the country and western club and I know that many people loved the Adventurers club. I really miss having that experience and hope that they do something to address it rather than simply walking away. I understand that it is all about the money but it was always busy when we were there so I don’t know what went wrong. If anyone from Disney is listening I’d like it back please.

When we left England a little over a week ago the headlines in one newspaper was something like “swine flu is less severe than normal flu”. When we arrived at Orlando airport on Friday I saw someone reading the Daily Mail in the departure lounge and the front page read “Swine flu will kill 350 people a day in the UK”. We live in strange times and I think that is why I need to escape every so often.

natalielongstaff
07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Count me in :)

mandymouse
07-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Great start, I look forward to reading some more :thumbsup2

jen_uk
07-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Great start :cool1:

irongirlof12
07-22-2009, 05:03 AM
:cool1:looking forward to reading more :cool1:

jjk
07-23-2009, 03:54 AM
great start :goodvibes

Pegasus928
07-23-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm jumping on board for the ride. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

suzycute
07-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Looking forward to reading your reports! :thumbsup2