PDA

View Full Version : The Going With The Flow - The Day Before - 19th July 2009

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 03:46 AM
Hi all

Well today is the day we travel down to Manchester Airport for that relaxing start to the holiday.

The 'we' are:

Me (Bev 47), Ian (47), Gary (20) and Craig (18).

I will try and dig out a photo later on so you can picture us, though Craig has declined to give me permission to plaster his face on the internet and Gary has given me permission but only if the photo passes his approval. I don't mind my photo being on, just have great difficulty ever finding one I like.:rotfl:

Anyway, back on with the trip. Today we are staying down at the SAS Radisson Manchester Airport.

http://www.radissonblu.co.uk/hotel-manchesterairport

We have stayed here a few times now but last year were lucky enough to get a runway view which was fantastic, definitely lovely being able to watch the planes taking off and it gets you in the mood for a holiday. I have requested a similar view for this year. The hotel also has a swimming pool (albeit a small one), steam room and sauna which we intend making full use of before having a meal in the hotel's restaurant.

Tomorrow we fly with Virgin VS075 (10.25 am) to MCO and hopefully we will be able to check in online shortly. However, the last 2 times we couldn't and in December we couldn't even use the self check in kiosk and had to go to the desk. At the desk the check in agent had to ring someone up, it was a good job I was relaxed otherwise I would have been stressed out. He just checked us in, it may be one of our names is a dodgy one.

Going off topic my son does share a singer's name (not a famous one) and does get emails offering him money to sing at venues. This causes much amusement to the rest of the family at the thought of him turning up and singing as he has inherited my singing talents - this isn't a good thing.

Back on topic, our base this year will be the Royal Pacific Resort at Universal.

http://www.universalorlando.com/hotels/loews-royal-pacific-resort/accommodations.html

We stayed here in 2007 and loved it though since then it has been refurbished. We love the easy access to the Universal parks and the FOTL. This gives us the flexibility to do the Disney parks or Sea World first thing then return to Universal and not have any bother getting on rides later in the day when it is busy.

I intend doing a nearly live trip report as we go through the holiday. I might add that I can touch type so it doesn't really take very long to type updates though the updates may be a bit rough compared to properly written ones when done after the holiday. I cannot add photos as I go because my computer (Linux operated) doesn't like photobucket or vice versa and they don't talk to each other but may be able to post photos via my Twitpic account.

The current situation is that Ian and Gary are now packing, hurrah! Ian has just come in with the list I wrote out for him and asked 'what is a bag?' to which I said 'it is used to carry items in with handles'.:) So I think he is packing now. Craig is just watching tv I think and Gary is sorting stuff out for his ipod.

Anyway that's it for now, I will check in later and tell you how we are progressing.

Bev x

Pinky166
07-19-2009, 04:07 AM
Yay! You've started! I can't wait to read along & feel like i'm there with you.

Have a lovely time in the pool & steam room & a safe journey.

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Just bought the Sea World tickets. We ended up buying a two year AP as one year of the AP is the same price as a 14 day 2 park ticket, so paid out a bit extra to cover us for another year but still cheaper in the long run if you know what I mean.

Ian is now packed - hurrah!

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Thanks Claire, not long till you will be away.

We are now booked in which will immensely please the lads as we now don't have to check in at 6 am tomorrow morning, yay! Seats all together at the back of the plane, so I will have to hang on to my wine if we hit a bit of turbulence! However, at least we know we are altogether instead of a 3 and a 1.

The title of this report 'The Going With The Flow' stems from the fact that for the second time I have not planned anything, other than avoiding parks on their busy days we will just please ourselves. The same goes for meals we will just eat wherever we find ourselves hungry. I found this quite relaxing back in December so am doing the same again.

cannp123165
07-19-2009, 05:41 AM
A great start - have a lovely holiday. :)

suzycute
07-19-2009, 05:47 AM
Have a great time! Looking forward to following your trip :thumbsup2

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks, the lads and hubbie are just about to pack the car up so I will say bye for now, speak to you from the airport.:goodvibes

natalielongstaff
07-19-2009, 07:29 AM
have a great trip, i admire your plan to go with the flow..i could never do that :laughing:

mandymouse
07-19-2009, 08:37 AM
I hope you have a fab trip Bev, and I look forward to your updates ::yes::

wickesy
07-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Have a great time Bev. I won't be able to follow along as you post but look forward to reading all about it when we get back.

irongirlof12
07-19-2009, 09:59 AM
have a fab time Bev. :cool1:

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the best wishes, I cannot quite believe the holiday is here again.

We had an uneventful drive down to Manchester which takes a couple of hours from where we live to a rather wet Manchester Airport. The weather makes you want to fly away to somewhere hot but knowing our luck we will land at MCO to a thunderstorm.

We are on the 8th floor of the Radisson and have a great runway view, the hotel met all our requests which is brilliant.

We are currently just chilling, the menfolk are watching the golf.

The lads are just making us laugh as Craig has just sussed out he only has one pillow and everyone else has 2 so he is feeling a bit deprived. Craig just tried to grab Garyś and was met with a resounding get off.

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 11:07 AM
http://twitpic.com/awc0f hopefully rainy runway view

Just seeing if I can upload photos by my twitpic account.

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Just added the threatened photos of us, minus Craig.

http://twitpic.com/awc0f

natalielongstaff
07-19-2009, 11:51 AM
great pics Bev :thumbsup2

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks Nat :goodvibes, it won't be long till you and Joh are away and you tackle all those rollercoasters. Just don't go on Gwazi or whatever it is called at Busch, the wooden one, makes you feel like you have brain damage when you get off it.

Pinky166
07-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Bev, both links are of the runway picture. I have seen the others on Twitter but just thought you may want to change the link. :thumbsup2

Hope you have a nice swim & enjoy the steam room.

Kymie
07-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Just found your trippy! :cool1: Now I can keep up on here and on twitter!!! :surfweb: (@disneykymie)

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Claire, thanks for pointing that out, the link is just to my general Twitpic account but obviously I have linked to the runway photo twice, if you want to see the pictures just uploaded click on my name and it will show a list of photos. If you have any more problems let me know.:goodvibes

Hoping to go swimming now and in the sauna and steam room before it shuts at 8 but the golf has over run.

gemmybear83
07-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Have a fantastic trip!:goodvibes

Pinky166
07-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Claire, thanks for pointing that out, the link is just to my general Twitpic account but obviously I have linked to the runway photo twice, if you want to see the pictures just uploaded click on my name and it will show a list of photos. If you have any more problems let me know.:goodvibes

Hoping to go swimming now and in the sauna and steam room before it shuts at 8 but the golf has over run.

We are watching the golf too, although not by choice for me. :rolleyes:

jockey
07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Have a brill time!:)

buzz for boys
07-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Bev cant wait to read a live report from u I really enjoyed the december report !! Hope u have a fab flight - cant wait to hear more x xx

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the good wishes.:goodvibes

We managed to get down to the pool and had fun swimming, sweating (sauna and steam room) for an hour. Really relaxing.

We then popped into the Runway Restaurant for a meal, I had fancied trying a restaurant in the Trafford Centre recommend by Mandy but hubbie didn 't want to pay car park charges for the hotel so we stayed put. The restaurant at the hotel is typically on the pricey side even though we were in the quick snack restaurant. The expensive restaurant here has breakfasts for seventeen pounds each (way too expensive for us), you can imagine what the meal prices are like.

The meal was quite nice. Both Ian and I opted for the burgers, Gary the bacon burger and Craig good old sausages and mash. Service was a bit slow but hey we are on our holidays and in no rush. We enjoyed having a chat.

Now back at the room, we have the net curtains fully undrawn on the windows and can see the runways and terminals all lit up which is quite pretty. The lads are messing around in their room whilst we watch out tv for a while.

This is a very relaxing way to start the holidays and I recommend it. The prices for this hotel came down substantially and I kept cancelling and rebooking so it is worth looking at throughout the year.:rotfl:

Probably going to have a bath shortly. The bathroom has under tile heating which is fantastic. I would love this in my own home.

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Bev cant wait to read a live report from u I really enjoyed the december report !! Hope u have a fab flight - cant wait to hear more x xx

thanks for that, I find that very encouraging to continue. I very much enjoyed reading your reports too.:goodvibes

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Just found your trippy! :cool1: Now I can keep up on here and on twitter!!! :surfweb: (@disneykymie)

Hiya Kym, nice of you to join us :goodvibes, hey I hope that book that got stuck behind the radiator has stopped playing 'we wish you a merry christmas´:goodvibes

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Have a great time Bev. I won't be able to follow along as you post but look forward to reading all about it when we get back.

Hey David thatś okay but make sure you write a trip report for your Chicago trip. By the way HOPE YOU HAVE A FANTASTIC HOLIDAY:cool1::cool1::cool1: I have enjoyed reading your Orlando reports and am on the look out for strawberry cream cheese which I remember you saying was a fav of yours.

jen_uk
07-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Sounds like a great start to the holiday, hope you have a good flight :cool1:

scottishgirl87
07-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Ohhh can't wait to hear more :thumbsup2

I'm particularly interested as OH and I really would like to stay at RPR when we go next year so I'm interested to hear your thoughts/see piccies! :thumbsup2 Just don't know if we'll be able to stretch to it! Can I be cheeky and ask how much you're paying for your room at RPR?

darthtatty
07-19-2009, 05:39 PM
have a great time, will be looking out for your updates.xxx :thumbsup2

wicket2005
07-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks Nicky.:goodvibes

scottishgirl87, not sure how much room costs because we have done it as part of a package with Virgin. The room is cheaper for us to do this way because we actually need 2 rooms and Virgin's supplement for the extra room is a lot cheaper than booking direct with RPR.

The RPR is a lovely tropical themed hotel, just about a 10 minute walk away from Islands of Adventure. You can get rooms overlooking IoA which is quite cool seeing The Hulk. Last time we went we didn't eat in any of the restaurants but I have heard good reports about them, we tended to grab breakfast in the self serve buffet in The Orchid Lounge on a morning and sit in the lounge area. I will add more details through the holiday for you scottishgirl87 as I think of them.

wilma-bride
07-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Bev, just found this - I didn't realise your holiday had come around already. I will definitely be following along with your adventures and look forward to reading more about your holiday.

I love the sound of your 'go with the flow' ideas and I am hoping that on future holidays we take, I can start to adopt a more relaxed attitude to the planning and just take things as they come. Maybe it's something that comes with regular visits - as it is, I always feel like every holiday may be my last and, as such, I need to take full advantage of everything.

Hope you have a great time :)

jjk
07-20-2009, 03:53 AM
great start Bev, Im looking forward to following along :goodvibes

scottishgirl87
07-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Thanks Nicky.:goodvibes

scottishgirl87, not sure how much room costs because we have done it as part of a package with Virgin. The room is cheaper for us to do this way because we actually need 2 rooms and Virgin's supplement for the extra room is a lot cheaper than booking direct with RPR.

The RPR is a lovely tropical themed hotel, just about a 10 minute walk away from Islands of Adventure. You can get rooms overlooking IoA which is quite cool seeing The Hulk. Last time we went we didn't eat in any of the restaurants but I have heard good reports about them, we tended to grab breakfast in the self serve buffet in The Orchid Lounge on a morning and sit in the lounge area. I will add more details through the holiday for you scottishgirl87 as I think of them.

Thanks very much :thumbsup2 It looks absolutely gorgeous!! I hope you enjoy it but I'm sure you will :wizard:

Kymie
07-20-2009, 05:57 AM
:rotfl: Yep, after two hours of jiggling long poles,sticks,anything we could find,then finally managing to move all the toys and pull a large piece of furniture out of the way DD managed to get her hand underneath and pull the book out-still playing the tune!A bit of bashing and pulling apart later meant silence,tho it was still in my ears for a while after that!! :rotfl2: Looking forward to your next update :goodvibes

wicket2005
07-20-2009, 08:10 PM
I am glad you found my report Joh, the more the merrier.:goodvibes

So pleased you got that book out kym.