PDA

View Full Version : small room colors?

flying_babyb
07-19-2009, 12:51 AM
What colors does one paint a small bedroom? My bed set (which I wont get rid of) is brown, tan, and dark brown. My dressers black and turquios, my nightstands are black and bamboo. I love lots of colors but dont want blue or purple. Im thinking of painting the lower half of the wall one color and letting the top beige (YUCK, but livable). Its only 300 sq ft and will have a bed, storage, bookcase, a table and microwave. So what colors would you reccomend?

rlovew
07-19-2009, 07:52 AM
I am by far from being a home decorator but if you paint the room a lighter color is it will look better. I would suggest maybe a dark color on the bottom and then a much lighter shade on the top- If you don't like the beige get rid of it. I lived in a dormroom I hated the colors of and found I would put anything on the walls to avoid seeing them the colors they were.

Rebecca

vanyel
07-19-2009, 11:39 AM
You could go really radical and paint the room white then use color in accessories to brighten it up. Pillows, pictures etc. If you have turquoise in the dressers, you could use that in accessories. I don't have any white rooms as I love color too but I recently saw a white room with black accents that I loved.

I usually paint small rooms a light color to add light to the room as I like things bright.

flying_babyb
07-19-2009, 12:11 PM
im done with white. Ive lived in aparments all my life. I want color!!!

BernardandMissBianca
07-19-2009, 01:07 PM
My whole house is small so I went with a 3 color palette for most rooms. I got the paint at Lowes, Earth Elements Sunwashed, Bee Pollen, and Autumn Wind. The 2 lighter colors are yellow based with a tinge of brown, my kitchen is sunwashed and the living room is Bee Pollen.
I think the Bee Pollen might be a nice color for your room. I have a dark brown couch, and black/brown bookcases on one wall, but the room is still light because of the yellow. I also used to have a blue couch, as seen in the pic, and it looked good with the color.

I think I have a pic.......

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/BernardandMissBianca/DSC_0032-3.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i125/BernardandMissBianca/DSC_0028-2.jpg

I now have full bookcases on both sides of the window but it still bright. Hope this helps!!

flying_babyb
07-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I like the yellow just not for a bedroom. Im doing one room living so its all gatta go nice. What goes with brown? Im a designer at heart but paint colors are such a pain. I was going to do tan and coco but I thought it was rather dark and brown overkill.

BernardandMissBianca
07-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Unless you went with a really light brown/coco color I think it would be to much.
How about blue, my boys room is 2 tone blue with black/brown furniture. I'm not sure how it would go with the turquoise though. The boys room is bounty on the top (Eddie Bauer color) and the bottom is, I think, Vintage blue.

I don't have pics but I could snap one after lunch if you would like.

ddavis860
07-19-2009, 05:32 PM
I was thinking yellow tones too...but if you don't want to go that route, then I was thinking maybe a nice yellow toned green... Dark on the bottom might make the room look smaller, maybe a wall of color? Also, if you have all that furniture, will the bottom of the wall show that much anyway? I know in our bedroom, most of the bottom half of the walls have furniture covering them.

So, does this mean you decided to move home? Did I miss the decision?

As for brown on brown on browns... I've seen it look really nice, and I've seen it look like mud...I guess it can be tricky. Maybe get some small samples and do a few testers to see if it's livable?

Hey Buffy...your place looks lovely!

flying_babyb
07-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I would love to see anyones rooms :) Yea I guess I have decided to move home. My life is no were near where I want it to be, but grandma needs me to move home to help her.

ddavis860
07-19-2009, 06:17 PM
I would love to see anyones rooms :) Yea I guess I have decided to move home. My life is no were near where I want it to be, but grandma needs me to move home to help her.

:goodvibes BIG Karma points for moving to help Grandma! Only good things can happen from that kind of selflessness...KWIM? Might not be right away, but good things! :goodvibes

hopemax
07-19-2009, 06:29 PM
So since we are actively house hunting, I've been watching HGTV for decorating ideas. A couple of times, I've heard them say it's not really 'light or dark' its "cool vs warm" colors. Cool tones make a room feel larger so as long as you pick a cool color you can go darker, especially on a focal wall. So the designers recommend blues, greens or purples.

flying_babyb
07-19-2009, 07:05 PM
well I feel like I have to move home for her. Mabey my life will turn around. right now its no were near where I want it to be, single, 25, living in a crappy basement with no hope of getting where I want. Sigh.

Lisa
07-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I am addicted to HGTV, in fact it is on now.

How about a rich caramel color? It's color and would look good with the black.

AlexWyattMommy
07-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm thinking you want a wash/glaze. You want tone on tone. Be a pain to paint, but the end result would be worth it. It would give you a depth of color on your wall. Maybe a lighter caramel with a richer caramel glaze done with a wisk brush or wide tooth comb? [it'll go with the bamboo, I think.] Doing the whole wall. With the furniture, you won't really notice if the bottom color is different, so why bother?

Being single at 25 and living a basement isn't all that bad. Try being single at 25 and living with a dead beat boyfriend who keeps promising someday baby someday we'll get married. Wasted 3 years with that loser. Left him two days after my 25th. I found my husband at 26. I did know him before, but only as a friend. Not sure what opened my eyes, but boy am I glad it did. I didn't get married until I was 28 and had my first child 2 months before my 30th.

And life is only getting better as I get older.

It'll happen.

flying_babyb
07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
A wash? Ive never heard of it but it sounds fun. Do tell me more. Im willing to invest some time and effort into this (not to mention I conned my BFF Audra into helping since I helped her, and took a day off of work for it). Grr who knew colors were so hard.

raysnkaysmom
07-25-2009, 11:50 AM
My sons room is pretty small, and we decided to have an 'anchor' or 'accent' wall with a dark blue..and the other 3 walls are a blue/gray... It actually made it look bigger I think...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dc04b3127ccec626e017c9ff00000040O00AZs3LdozYuW IPbz4S/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

taylor3297
07-25-2009, 11:55 AM
my daughter has a small bedroom. In order to give it some color without making the room seem smaller, we painted just one wall in her room. It turned out great!

raysnkaysmom
07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
my daughter has a small bedroom. In order to give it some color without making the room seem smaller, we painted just one wall in her room. It turned out great!

Similar to my 'anchor' wall..

Here's a pic of my daughters room...again, the one wall thing. Granted, I wouldnt normally pick these two colors together, but it blended her room together, and she loved it..
and, for the OP..it has turquoise in it :goodvibes
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dc04b3127ccec62721b3a9ef00000040O00AZs3LdozYuW IPbz4S/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

eta - it looks better now that we redecorated some..

marlynnp
07-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Icy Blue would be perfect

ehartman4
07-27-2009, 11:27 AM
To make a small room appear bigger, you should paint 3 walls a lighter shade of a color of your choice and the 4th wall a bit darker!

flying_babyb
07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
BUT!!! I only have 3 walls! well theres four but ones gonna be a whole wall of shelves.

ehartman4
07-27-2009, 10:27 PM
If that was my room, I would do the opposite wall from the shelves the darker of the 4. Just a suggestion :)

flying_babyb
07-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I was thinking of that too since it will be my bed corner. Also would I paint the side of the closet the same color too. The closet sticks out next to the bed (A headboard of sorts).