PDA

View Full Version : An update since I sort of dissappeared Update 7/20 w/pics

joyah
07-18-2009, 05:58 PM
dads in a holding pattern at the moment not getting worse but not better enough to have liquids yet so the last time he ate was 7 am on thurs, he's actually hungery but until the distention is going done and he passes gas or true stool no food. they we hoping for liquids today but no such luck. that means we're at at least monday before he comes home.
the abcess is a diverticulum that most older people get somehow this one got blocked filled with fecal matter and burst into and abcess in a matter of days.
the major problem is he does not appear sick other than his white blood cell count. But all 3 dr. (we're talking chief of surgery to 5 year residents) have all said that if all they had to go on was his CT scan he'd have been in the OR having part of the colon removed.

On a happy note we picked up the Puppy today. Bailey is not a bluetick but she NEEDED us. If I can figure out how to post pics of her I will shortly have to make dinner. Our other dog is not totally impressed but he's 8 he'll get over it.
Off to dinner hope everyone had a great day I'll try to do some catch up reading tonight.

PrincessNancy96
07-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Christy~

Sure hope things get settled for dad soon!!! Poor guy!!!
Congrats on the new dog!

party of 3
07-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Christy,
I will keep your dad in my thoughts and prayers. Hope things are better real soon.

morgansmom2000
07-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Christy,

Sending good thoughts north for dad's recovery! Can't wait to see pics of Bailey! Congrats.

joyah
07-19-2009, 10:36 AM
quick update on dad
Things are looking better they will be starting him on liquids today He's thinking food and wanted mom to bring him apples, pears, rasberries and of all things chocolate milk. then he called her back to cancel the order when the nurse told him only liquids today, poor guy hasn't eaten in over 3 days.
Working on the upload of pictures to walgreens then will attempt the posting of pics. I've never done it before.

rlovew
07-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad- I hope he is on food soon- even when he is it is normally soft food first and then others.

Rebecca

DisneyIsTerrific
07-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Prayers for your father that he gets better soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing the puppy picture!

PrincessNancy96
07-19-2009, 05:58 PM
How is dad doing this evening?
Hope he is doing well... At least he is wanting fruits..they do wonders for the system! ;)

joyah
07-19-2009, 06:02 PM
He's doing better still only liquids but abcess is draining more and nothing with the system, Dr is wondering if there is a dead part of the colon but really hoping that is not the case because that would mean a temporary colostomy then a reattacment at a later date.

Still trying to figure out how to upload from walgreens any want to give me dummy intructions?

tinkryansmom
07-19-2009, 08:24 PM
So glad to hear your Dad is doing better. Continuing to send prayers your way!

Lisa
07-19-2009, 08:34 PM
I am glad Dad is feeling a little better. Continued thoughts for further recovery. :goodvibes

AlexWyattMommy
07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm glad your dad is doing better.

To post pictures they need to be a hosting server. Does Walgreen's have a server? I've only used them through shutterfly.

joyah
07-19-2009, 10:04 PM
AWM They must not have a server even though they are somehow connected to shutterfly. I'll figure it out maybe.

Prayers are working THANK YOU ALL!!! One of the nurses was looking at some of the films with mom and she doesn't see anything up there like an impaction. while he still has a long road ahead hopefully we are getting to the bottem of this one. He will require surgey to remove part of the colon at a later date.

party of 3
07-20-2009, 06:39 AM
just wanted you to know i was thinking of you and your family this morning Christy. hope Dad is still feeling better today.
:hug:

joyah
07-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Day started out great for dad they fed him breakfast and the day went down hill from there. He's back on liquids only and they are still hoping to aviod anymore surgery right off the bat. He knee surgon came in and told him to not worry abt the knees get this over with, his wife had the same thing and so he knows first hand what a pain.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad332/cthazen/IMG_1081.jpg
This is Bailey We believe she is a Redtick(English Coonhound).
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad332/cthazen/IMG_1082-1.jpg

DisneyIsTerrific
07-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Oh, your poor Dad. I hope today is a better day for him and the docs are able to get things under control.

Your new puppy is so cute!

AlexWyattMommy
07-21-2009, 08:45 AM
She looks part German Shorthair pointer
http://www.mustangcreekkennels.com/images/ehp.jpg
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images22/GermanShorthairPointerSadie2years.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Prayers and Pixie Dust he gets well soon!

morgansmom2000
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
More good thoughts headed north for Dad!

Bailey is a beauty! Congrats!

joyah
07-21-2009, 10:28 PM
AWM We thought so to at first (and still might be) her hazel eyes are what are leading us to redtick. the person we got her from said she was told she was a bluetick but she knew that was wrong. We're waiting to hear from one of the guys tom used to hunt with. He has mostly walkers but hunts with a bunch of guys that have all different breeds. she definately has the hound baying :eek: 2:30 this am something set her off. She also like manure as have all our other hounds. SO the verdict is out till we get some other opinions.

On the dad front NOT good they took him in for another CAT scan at 10 I'm waiting on mom to call and I doubt she will tonight. I think the options for the Drs are running out. A perfectly healthy guy now is going to be VERY weak and have a mental toll taken on him.
Sorry I haven't been around much I'm reading as much as I can but not commenting much. On top of everything else the last few days of heat and the garden has taken off. so now I'm canning up a storm.

party of 3
07-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Christy,
I'm sending you lots of prayers, thoughts, love, hugs and pixie dust for dad. Hope they get it all straightened out soon and he starts feeling better. :hug:

DisneyIsTerrific
07-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Continued prayers and hugs. I sure hope they figure out the problem and get it fixed soon.

rlovew
07-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Christy- I hope they find out what is really wrong soon and they can put him on the road to recovery!

Rebecca

AlexWyattMommy
07-22-2009, 09:27 AM
More prayers and pixie dust that they fix what is wrong.

If I lived closer, I'd come help you with the canning. :hug:

Made some blackberry syrup. It is so yummy. Almost seedless. :rotfl2: Forgot to rinse out the pot from when I warmed them before I put the strained ones back in.

joyah
07-22-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm on the way to the hospital. Dad will be having surgery this pm abt 1 they think. If this makes no sense I'm sorry a bit stung out at this point. At this point it is considered major surgery cause they are opening him at the midline and flushing everything out and removing that piece of colon.

AWM wish you were closer poor Tom is learning receipies he's never heard of. I'm hopefull that one of my canning buddies might stop over and help with the dilly beans. He can make it through the peas. We also have to go pull the 2 beds of garlic at dads. :scared1: not sure when we'll fit that in. Good thing Levi's done it the last 2 years with dad so he has a clue.

I'll try to update when I can.

Thank you for all the wishes at least we have a plan now.:flower3:thank you all.

morgansmom2000
07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Good luck, Christy, please keep us posted on dad's progress!

tinkryansmom
07-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Christy sending hugs, prayers and pixie dust your way. Please do keep us posted!

party of 3
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM
thinking of you christy. please let us know that all is ok when you can.

joyah
07-22-2009, 09:52 PM
checking in
surgery went well. to quote the dr his insides were beaten up. they removed about a foot of the transverse and large colon. Mom and I think he looks 100% better tonight we'll see what tomorrow brings. for now I'm headed to bed hopefully will pass out. I plan on taking the laptop with me tomorrow as I'll be spending the day up there hopefully I'll get time to catch up with all the happenings. So if I've missed bdays anniversaries happy happy, hugs and prayers to those of you that need it.
I told mom today about all the prayers and hugs you have all been sending and she said thank you!
thank you all

party of 3
07-23-2009, 06:23 AM
oh Christy so glad to hear that the surgery went well. I will continue to keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
thanks for the update.

DisneyIsTerrific
07-23-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope your Dad starts feeling better soon and has a quick recovery. Hugs and prayers for you all.

morgansmom2000
07-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Sounds like good news! I hope he continues to recover well.

AlexWyattMommy
07-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Hope to keep hearing more good news. :thumbsup2

Lisa
07-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Continued thoughts and prayers for Dad, Mom, and you. :grouphug: This has been hard on all of you.

joyah
07-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys.

He's doing amazing today. He got up and walked around the pod today and they are all just amazed. the anestigiologst (sp?) that was in on the surgery came in to see him tonight and couldn't believe him and the strength he has.
Mom and I couldn't have made it with out all of you.
I hope in the next few days (week) I can say he's home.

rlovew
07-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I am so glad to hear he is doing better.

Rebecca

DisneyIsTerrific
07-24-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm glad that he is doing so much better. I hope he gets to go home soon!

AlexWyattMommy
07-24-2009, 07:11 AM
He's walking already??
Wow, your Dad is strong.

Keep up the good work Dad!

joyah
07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
:goodvibes:goodvibes

Well I'm happy to report that things are finally moving again. He started passing gas and that was the first step so we're hoping that by morning he'll be on clear liquids. He's had amazing nurses and lna's.
I'm off to swim team practice then drop off the boys and back to the hospital for a few hours.

AlexWyattMommy
07-28-2009, 04:41 PM
:cool1:I am so glad to hear the good news.

Hope for more and better improvements.

party of 3
07-28-2009, 09:12 PM
that's wonderful news Christy! glad to hear some good news.
i'll still keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

PrincessNancy96
07-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Great news Christy!!!

Who would have thought, we'd be so thrilled about passing gas! :rotfl:

party of 3
07-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Nan-
you still up??

joyah
07-28-2009, 10:29 PM
I know really:rolleyes1 passing gas and the nurses were all dancing and were ready to have a party. Even more good news, when i got back up there tonight his bag was full of stuff. I won't go into all the details (cause you'll all be sick I almost was. told mom that almost drew the line of daughterly duties) but they have moved him to water and Dr Trus was in tonight after he'd been up and walk and he really was smiling and happy if he moves along really fast he could be home this weekend. He said friday but mom and I are thinking more like sat or sun. I think I will finally sleep tonight. AC is on in the camper so I'm off to bed. 2 dogs 2 adults in a double bed gonna be an interesting night.Some how I think the dogs will lose tonight.

Happy days.

DisneyIsTerrific
07-29-2009, 06:36 AM
That's wonderful news!

ddavis860
07-29-2009, 06:38 AM
That's great news!! Hope things keep moving like they are supposed to!

AlexWyattMommy
07-29-2009, 09:08 AM
:cool1: Glad to hear that he may be home soon.

I totally hear you about crossing the daughter duties line. When my mom was in the hospital after her ruptured brain aneurysm, I spent a month in NY. The first two weeks I would really prefer to forget. Performing diaper duties on a grown woman is much harder than a baby. :sick: I threw up more than once. Being pregnant didn't help any. Eww, now I'm going to think about that all day.

morgansmom2000
07-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Yay, passing gas! What good news :lmao:

joyah
07-29-2009, 05:11 PM
He's off all IV's and onto liquids and medication orally and he's grumpy not happy with the fact he can't control the pain meds himself and having to ask for them. Course he doesn't adapt to change.
Hoping by sat to have him home.

AlexWyattMommy
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Pixie Dust that he comes on Saturday!!

joyah
07-30-2009, 07:17 AM
He's coming home late today god help us mom and I are going to be hopping the next few days.

party of 3
07-30-2009, 07:26 AM
good luck today Christy. i'll keep you all in my thoughts. :hug:

morgansmom2000
07-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Yay! I'm glad he's coming home, I hope he's a good patient for you and mama!

AlexWyattMommy
07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
:cool1: For coming home soon!!

Hope he is a good patient. :thumbsup2

PrincessNancy96
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Glad to hear Dad is coming home today!!!
Hope everything goes smoothly!

joyah
07-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks all
he's home and had his favorites beer, salami, greek olives, and piazza!!! Helped mom get him to bed takes 2 to do it easily and almost pain free and so now I'm home and get to play with cricut to make tags for all his syrup presents for the nurses, lna's and drs.

Mom and I (dad too unknowingly) can't thank you all for your thoughts and prayers over the past few weeks. It means the world to us. thank you just doesn't seem enough.

party of 3
07-30-2009, 07:23 PM
i'm so glad that he got home ok Christy.
glad we could be there for you and your family. i know i've needed a lot of support the last few months. & i too so appreciated it!
give dad a hug for me!:hug: