PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat disappointed with my first trip home to AKV

pinnocchiosdad
07-17-2009, 05:43 PM
It was a short trip, Sun 8/12 to Tue 8/14. We stayed in a 1 bedroom at Jambo house. We had seen the Kidani 1BR model and I had forgotten that the rooms at Jambo were lets say less luxorious. My thoughts after this trip as on owner are that they didn't get this one right. Both Jambo and kidani have their pluses and minuses. Unfortunately if you could push the two resorts together you would have the ultimate DVC property. Jambo is georgeous. But, the rooms are smaller and some are showing there age. Kidani is also georgeous but the pool is to small and if your kids are older than 12, the are way to small for the interactive pool area. Kidani was pitched as having a pool to rival stormalong bay. It is not even close. The gift/food store at kidani is so small. It was a major disappointment. The walk from Jambo to Kidani is boring and unattractive. You are pretty much walking through the parking lot. It would have been better to put the pool on the Jambo side of Kidani. That would have made the walk alot shorter. I hate to say it but I wish my addon had been BLT. Remember this is JMHO.

LIFERBABE
07-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Sorry your first trip home was not as magical as you hoped:goodvibes

You can always add on at BLT later.:goodvibes I too wish Jambo had the best of both worlds and my first stay there I was highly disappointed because we used points for a 1 bed Concierge over Christmas and got the villa without a tub. Talk about a meltdown!! It was totally not what I expected, after seeing the models.

We still enjoy AKV, but I have certain criteria now. If we are staying in a studio, we book Concierge, Savannah or Value @ Jambo to be closer to the needed amenities and avoid the whole combined tub @ Jambo 1bedroom/lockoff issue.

We may also use Jambo for the Grand Villas if we ever need one.

If we ever (have not yet) book a 1 bed it will be at Kidani and it will be a Savannah view. No 1 bed Jambo for me anymore.

Anything outside of that we will book the other DVC's.

It is alot to keep up with especially when you run into limited availability, but I love SSR and would much rather stay there than give up my separate tub and shower to stay at Jambo.

MiaSRN62
07-17-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm not entirely on the same page with you. We loved our 1 bedroom at Jambo (haven't stayed at Kidani yet). Not sure what you mean by it not being "luxurious" ? Our stay at Jambo 1 bedroom was Aug 2008----rooms was in excellent shape ---seemed brand new. Has it gone down that much in the past 11 months ?

We feel the themeing is excellent---rooms, lobby, everything. That said, I was also a bit let-down by the KV pool area. It looks like it was just thrown out there in the parking lot area. Hope they build up around it with landscaping better than what is there now. So we much prefer the rooms over SSR, but the pool is just "ok" at KV.

Maria

jbrowna
07-17-2009, 06:41 PM
It would have been better to put the pool on the Jambo side of Kidani. That would have made the walk alot shorter.

I have to disagree. Doing that would have wiped out a good portion of the Sunset Savannah! The walk would have been shorter, at the expense of eliminating a lot of Savannah View rooms at both Kidani and Jambo.

gkrykewy
07-17-2009, 06:46 PM
I agree that the Kidani pool should have been on the Jambo side of the resort - we're staying in Kidani for the first time in August. Disagree on Jambo -- it's basically heaven :lovestruc

florep1
07-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Samawati Springs Pool is where it belongs. It is a nice pool but it's not very big. If you made it too convenient for Jambo house guests to go there, it would be swarming with people.

SandrainNC
07-17-2009, 06:53 PM
We were at Jambo in a 1 BR value (which is a little smaller) and loved it! The rooms were recently done so it's not like they are old. They were refurbished recently before Kidani was started when part of AKL was changed to DVC. We didn't think the walk down to Kidani was that bad. We did drive our car down one day to go to the pool because we knew we would be in a hurry to get to dinner after swimming so it saved 10 minutes. I will say that I didn't like the look of the outside of Kidani at all. Maybe it was the parking garage underneath or something. And walking into Kidani doesn't do it for me like walking into Jambo House. We enjoyed both pool areas. The kids had a ball at the water play area at Kidani. I am perfectly fine staying at Jambo House every time we stay at AKV.

Sandra

Bouncin-Tigger
07-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Completly agree, rooms are smaller walks are long and boring and the pools do not have half as much space as needed.

Grumpygrandpa
07-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I loved our recent stay at Kidani. I know the pool is a little small but it never seemed crowded while we were there in June. I think the water slide there is my favorite on property. Loved Sanaa! I know I may be in the minority but I even like the look of the property and my one bedroom was awesome!:thumbsup2 My only complaint would be the lack of a DDP counter service option.

pinnocchiosdad
07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm not entirely on the same page with you. We loved our 1 bedroom at Jambo (haven't stayed at Kidani yet). Not sure what you mean by it not being "luxurious" ?

I was refering to the fact that the Kidani rooms are much larger. The kitchens are much bigger with much nicer granite tops and back splashes. The master bedrooms have large sunken whirlpool baths with a passway between the bedroom and bath.

Deb & Bill
07-17-2009, 08:52 PM
We were at Jambo in a 1 BR value (which is a little smaller) and loved it! The rooms were recently done so it's not like they are old. They were refurbished recently before Kidani was started when part of AKL was changed to DVC. We didn't think the walk down to Kidani was that bad. We did drive our car down one day to go to the pool because we knew we would be in a hurry to get to dinner after swimming so it saved 10 minutes. I will say that I didn't like the look of the outside of Kidani at all. Maybe it was the parking garage underneath or something. And walking into Kidani doesn't do it for me like walking into Jambo House. We enjoyed both pool areas. The kids had a ball at the water play area at Kidani. I am perfectly fine staying at Jambo House every time we stay at AKV.

Sandra

We thought that Kidani Village had the appearance of a security compound or prison. Sorry to the fans of KV, but we didn't like it. So we won't take up any rooms there. We agree that the pool is way too small for the size of the resort. They should have spent the money on making a nice big standard pool (i.e. quiet pool) instead of that little themed pool.

KAT4DISNEY
07-17-2009, 09:49 PM
I can understand a lot of what you are saying. I too was surprised by the size of the pool. There's a small community that has about as many people as Kidani will hold when complete (maybe less) which is close to my mother's home in MN. They just built a new pool that is much larger, has great slides and water play areas and is open for 3 months out of the year! I agree that the walk between Kidani and Jambo is very "industrial" and I also think they also blew it with not having counter service. Sanaa's location and view and the underground parking beat out Jambo facilities though. Luckily we really liked the Jambo 1BR's layout and will likely end up staying there the majority of the time we go to AKV.

In seeing pics of BLT I get the impression that they also messed up on the size of that pool as well. I guess only time will tell when they both are fully open.

DebbieB
07-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I stayed concierge 1 bedroom last year and we didn't like the combo tub/shower, it was hard to get in and out of. It was pool view, we got moved to a savannah view the next day and got the handicapped room with no tub.

I stayed in a studio at Kidani last month and liked it. We didn't use the pool, I didn't even see it. The section with no standard views does look ugly, not sure why they did that. But I liked the rest. Loved the parking, loved the lounge with savannah view, loved our room. I wish they did have a counter service, we drove over to Mara one night for zebra domes.

DVC Mary
07-18-2009, 02:32 AM
Kidani needs:

a better gift shop/grocery shop w/ merchandise specific to Kidani
a nicer walkway
to hide the garages somehow
a bigger regular pool b/c when the other 1/3 ? is finished & the place is packed that pool is going to be too small
counter service (possibly like BCV Marketplace or near the pool where they have room to build it)
more animals (we saw very few from our savannah view at any time of the day--they seemed to be only near the lobby area)

Kudos to Kidani:

the best Community Hall (probably due to CM Debbie)
wonderful lighting & music around the pool area--very noticeable at night
great activities
bigger rooms--feels more luxourious & plush
keeping the artwork & theming just as nice as Jambo--love proverbs on walls
great CMs

gkrykewy
07-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Kidani needs:

a better gift shop/grocery shop w/ merchandise specific to Kidani
a nicer walkway
to hide the garages somehow
a bigger regular pool b/c when the other 1/3 ? is finished & the place is packed that pool is going to be too small
counter service (possibly like BCV Marketplace or near the pool where they have room to build it)
more animals (we saw very few from our savannah view at any time of the day--they seemed to be only near the lobby area)

I think this is a pretty solid list, and I think we'll probably get most of it in some form, with the pool probably being least likely. I hope guests continue to request QS dining in post-stay surveys.... and a spiffing up of the garage exterior look, if only to stop Deb & Bill's continuous "prison" posts :lmao:

When Pembe Savanna opens, it appears that it will include a walkway between the savanna and the buildings for all guests to use (letting you get very close to the Okapi and other animals there). I think that will be a great amenity.

wildernessDad
07-18-2009, 09:54 AM
The Jambo rooms are not that old. I don't see how they could be showing their age at this stage.

eliza61
07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Op, sorry you found AKV disappointing. I did have to smile though while reading it. DVC'ers have such a wide variety of taste. One of the things I love about the world is that it offers so many choices.

I love AKV, I haven't stayed in kidani but I'm looking forward to my stay in 19 days (hooray!!)

Here's hoping your next visit proves more magical.

lagunn
07-18-2009, 10:45 AM
We stayed at Jambo last sept in a 1br value. We loved it..:goodvibes
The only thing i did'nt like was the shower in the bath but hey we managed with it.
Going back real soon asnd cant wait..:banana:

DebbieB
07-18-2009, 11:06 AM
I think this is a pretty solid list, and I think we'll probably get most of it in some form, with the pool probably being least likely. I hope guests continue to request QS dining in post-stay surveys.... and a spiffing up of the garage exterior look, if only to stop Deb & Bill's continuous "prison" posts :lmao:

When Pembe Savanna opens, it appears that it will include a walkway between the savanna and the buildings for all guests to use (letting you get very close to the Okapi and other animals there). I think that will be a great amenity.

I think there is some confusion about the "garage". Parking is on the first level only. Some people are thinking the area where there are no standard views at the south end of the resort is the garage. What they did is not put any standard views in that last area, when you walk down to the end of the hall, rooms are on the savannah side only. The other parts of the building have standard view balconies facing the open parking lots and the road. That part just has siding with a few windows, which is kind of boring. I wouldn't say it looks like a "prison". No resort is going to measure up to OKW for Deb & Bill.

bobbiwoz
07-18-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm thrilled with Kidani, amenities and the pool area and I've always been a fan of Jambo house. I am sorry that you are so disappointed. The landscaping at Kidani will grow and it will be even nicer...I'm not sure what to suggest to the OP, but there will be chances to change most of the time at 7 months.

I would give Kidani a chance before doing anything drastic like selling and purchasing at a different resort.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Simba's Mom
07-18-2009, 12:05 PM
One thing you said I agree with so much! I'd love to see the walk between Kidani and Jambo be more interesting, less like just walking on a sidewalk by a parking lot. Let's face it-lots of people walk between the two resorts-for swimming, eating, etc. I can't believe they didn't plan a themed walkway( I was about to say "more" themed, but that would falsely assume that the present walkway has some theming involved). It reminds me of walking thru the parking lot at the mall!

dianeschlicht
07-18-2009, 01:22 PM
It was a short trip, Sun 8/12 to Tue 8/14. We stayed in a 1 bedroom at Jambo house. We had seen the Kidani 1BR model and I had forgotten that the rooms at Jambo were lets say less luxorious. My thoughts after this trip as on owner are that they didn't get this one right. Both Jambo and kidani have their pluses and minuses. Unfortunately if you could push the two resorts together you would have the ultimate DVC property. Jambo is georgeous. But, the rooms are smaller and some are showing there age. Kidani is also georgeous but the pool is to small and if your kids are older than 12, the are way to small for the interactive pool area. Kidani was pitched as having a pool to rival stormalong bay. It is not even close. The gift/food store at kidani is so small. It was a major disappointment. The walk from Jambo to Kidani is boring and unattractive. You are pretty much walking through the parking lot. It would have been better to put the pool on the Jambo side of Kidani. That would have made the walk alot shorter. I hate to say it but I wish my addon had been BLT. Remember this is JMHO.
I'm confused. Is this a report from LAST August?? Why did you wait so long? Okay, it looks like you may have put wrong dates in and actually meant 7/12-7/14 instead of 8/12-8/14. Were you in a value? That would be significantly smaller and less "[luxurious]" if that's what you think.

I do think the "showing [their] age" comment may come from less than stellar housekeeping. We found this to be an issue when we stayed at Jambo in January.

As for the walk from Jambo to Kidani being boring....Once that vegatation grows up, you wont feel that way so much. I do think the exterior of the end of Kidani that is nearest Jambo is pretty boring though. It looks to me like a Holiday Inn on that end, but the real lobby entrance is much nicer.

the who #3
07-18-2009, 04:24 PM
we stayed in jambo concierge for the first time (before we were dvc) about 6 or 7 yrs ago, and had to walk about a mile thru the halls to get to the elevator and go up to concierge. it was just fantastic and very expensive but we thought it was so great to have those beautiful animals at our windows.

we later stayed at the poly concierge which was also marvelous. then another yr we stayed at bc concierge, good but not as great. altho we love bc and still stay there sometime.

we then became dvc members. as soon as we knew akv was selling, we became founding members because that still remained our favorite. i have stayed dvc concierge at jambo in a studio and in a 2 br. and have loved it both times. :welcome:

i am going to spend a night in kidani on my next trip, and until then i can not say how i will feel about it.;)

i still feel as tho most dvcs are luxurious because my grandchildren got to old for us to all stay in one room together for a week and with dvc we can have more room to spread out. when i go alone or with just one other person, a studio is just great. paying for 2 completely separate rooms at rack price is too expensive.:rolleyes2

i will be staying in my 3rd home (blt) when i go this fall and i am sure that i will love it also. by the way, my 1st home is vwl. i love them all. each has a different feel. they have lots of pixiedust: all over them. if they ever build dvc at the poly then i will probably buy again. you can tell that i am a disney adict.

i think i just love dvc. it has been so great for my family.:goodvibes

Nikisha421
07-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I like Jambo it's nice and cozy and warm JMHO...and I will see what it's like in a few days at Kidani, but for the most part dont be disappointed I felt the first time @ SSR but looking back it was a great experience!

thelionqueen
07-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I haven't stayed @ AKV but we did visit in June. I was most interested in the animal views and the pool and the overall "feel" of the resort.

The lobby and room decor are just stunning, truly amazing! I thought the pool area was literally tiny and not at all what I was expecting. I had never heard anyone say it could rival SAB though, that was funny. The only thing it could be compared to is maybe one area of SAB and that would be a stretch IMHO.

The landscaping will mature and fill in the areas I saw that looked industrial. But having said that, there just seems to be something missing from Kidani as compared to Jambo. From what I saw (keeping in mind I didn't stay in a room there, just wandered the resort) it seemed like things that are logical (size of shops and lack of quick dining options) were not thought through enough. I could say the same for SSR as well, but liked SSR infinitely better than Kidani.

I also think they could have done something more grand for the pool @ BLT. I mean, it's ok, but with all that imaginerring talent, I think they're missing the boat on recent DVC resorts pools (BLT, SSR & AKV).

That said, there are many DVC options,and even though you own @ AKV and it may not be your favorite resort, you can always stay somewhere else you enjoy more! Different strokes for different folks, and Disney has something to please each and every one!:thumbsup2

tecodis
07-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Samawati Springs Pool is where it belongs. It is a nice pool but it's not very big. If you made it too convenient for Jambo house guests to go there, it would be swarming with people.

My thoughts exactly!
:thumbsup2

Deb & Bill
07-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey, guys, I'm just calling them as I see them. Just my first impression.

But it leaves the AKV to all those who love it!! You won't have to worry about me taking your villa. ;)

And isn't that what DVC is all about anyway? Something for every one. Even the guys in the orange jumpsuits. :lmao:

princessbride6205
07-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Deb & Bill - I really appreciated your critical perspective (and other posters' comments). DH & I love AKL and have been hoping to add on AKV early next year. The critiques on the industrial appearance of parts and the Kidani pool have made me pause. We've never seen the villas or Kidani in person - I'm thinking we'll have to visit before jumping in to purchase.

Kiderak
07-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Stayed at AKV during 4th of July week at Jambo House, concierge. Found a cockroach in the room on 2 of the days.

DW and DD are now totally freaked about ever staying there again.

Reported it when it happened, but that doesn't make it any better.

LIFERBABE
07-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Stayed at AKV during 4th of July week at Jambo House, concierge. Found a cockroach in the room on 2 of the days.

What room #;)

Deb & Bill
07-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Unfortunately , Florida does have bugs and they often hitch a ride with stored luggage or other items brought to the villas/rooms. Or they just might fly in via the balcony. It is the Animal Kingdom, right??;)

kikiq
07-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Deb & Bill - I really appreciated your critical perspective (and other posters' comments). DH & I love AKL and have been hoping to add on AKV early next year. The critiques on the industrial appearance of parts and the Kidani pool have made me pause. We've never seen the villas or Kidani in person - I'm thinking we'll have to visit before jumping in to purchase.

I walked to Kidani from Jambo in June. It will be awhile before the vegetation grows. I'm hoping the trees will provide shade because the in the heat of the summer, there was no relief! Kidani's pool was smaller than I expected. It wasn't crowded the day I walked over there. I liked how the Kidani lobby and CH looked. A "lighter" feel to the resort and "cozier" than Jambo.

I've learned from reading DIS and talking with my guide that if in doubt, better to visit the resort first before buying/adding on.

famsen
07-19-2009, 06:42 PM

We had cockoaches in our Jambo room too. We were there in early May.
We have been to WDW 11 times and never saw a cockroach in any of our rooms before. The manager did admit to me that AKV does have a roach "issue".

TagsMissy
07-19-2009, 08:38 PM

Just curious... i mean.. you can't be that worried if you are returning there based on your signature indicating you are returning. :confused3:confused3

irish dancer
07-19-2009, 09:17 PM
We stayed in Jambo, 1BR concierge Oct 08 and then a 1BR SV in Kidani last month. I have to say we LOVE both resorts.

Our stay in Jambo was very nice, the lobby is so impressive and concierge was a definite splurge.

Our room at Kidani though blew us away, the second bathroom was great with 3 kids. We had MANY animals to view at all times of day, there was a group of 5 giraffes that roamed and was outside our windows often. The under building parking was an absolute Godsend in the heat of June. The Community Hall there was also amazing. The lobby is smaller but I like that, it is much more intimate and quieter. We didn't have a need for anything in the shop so the size wasn't an issue for us. We also went to the grocery store so we had plenty of food/snacks in our room if need be. The pool area was never overly crowded and we were there a lot since it was 98-100 degrees every day. My kids also got a kick out of the trivia placards along the path to Jambo.

I'm so glad that DVC has many different kinds of resorts, it gives everyone a chance to stay somewhere they love.

pinnocchiosdad
07-20-2009, 11:51 AM
One thing you said I agree with so much! I'd love to see the walk between Kidani and Jambo be more interesting, less like just walking on a sidewalk by a parking lot. Let's face it-lots of people walk between the two resorts-for swimming, eating, etc. I can't believe they didn't plan a themed walkway( I was about to say "more" themed, but that would falsely assume that the present walkway has some theming involved). It reminds me of walking thru the parking lot at the mall!

How cool would it be to have a plexiglass dome tunnel with a people mover taking you from JAMBO to KIDANI running straight down the middle of the sunset savahna. Hey, let me dream my little dream!!!

rentayenta
07-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I haven't read throught this entire thread but :goodvibes to the OP. That must be quite disappointing. I agree that the walk from Kidani to Jambo has much to be desired. Like I said when we stayed at AKV and why we bought at SSR: AKV just doesn't cut it for us. It looks like they opened too soon, they finished the inside and missed the boat on the outside.

MEK
07-21-2009, 10:31 AM
I loved our recent stay at Kidani. I know the pool is a little small but it never seemed crowded while we were there in June. I think the water slide there is my favorite on property. Loved Sanaa! I know I may be in the minority but I even like the look of the property and my one bedroom was awesome!:thumbsup2 My only complaint would be the lack of a DDP counter service option.

I completely agree with this. But I do think the pool will become more crowded when the rest of the rooms are opened. My 2BR was spectacular. I didn't really like the walk to Jambo House. I would have liked a continuous side walk and not having to cut through the parking lot. But that's just me and one of the reasons I own at SSR. Cause I like paths and sidewalks and things because I'm a runner.

the who #3
07-21-2009, 12:52 PM
i don't know if this was your first time home as a dvc member or just the first time home at akv.

my first time home as a new dvc owner was full of disappointments, mostly on the day of arrival.

everything that could possible go wrong did. i felt as tho i was being punished for being dvc member and the people involved
did not even know that i was.:headache:

i have since discovered that the pleasure of being a dvc owner (no mater what your home is) is coming to feel at home and comfortable with your ownership. i guess it is "taking ownership". after that feeling comes to you, you also realize that you have helped with the entire dvc program of building, grounds keeping and all of those other beautiful things. also that great feeling of going home and not having to pay for your room at the ck in time, (really great to know that you have already done that.) another great point is having extra rooms if you need them with out having to pay for a very expensive suite. i know that the points invovled did cost you a lot of money, but you did not have to pay it while on your vacation.:goodvibes

you can always make res. 7 mo out at a different resort and see if you like it better. we like some resorts at certain times of the year, so we go to several during the year. we think its fun to try them according to which park activities we are planning for that trip.;) after akv is a little older the grounds should look more mature and lush. that may help.

after 5 or 6 yrs of ownership and 3 homes. i love them more every time i go to wdw.:worship:

msmouse39
07-21-2009, 01:16 PM
This brings me concern and excitement as I head to Kidani on my first stay this October. I did just have a friend return quite pleased though? Should be interesting.:confused3

StephenKay
07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi there,

We have just returned from a 5 day stay in a 2bdr at Kidani last week. The resort like many has pluses and minus like most resorts. I don't want to go back there as I didn't really like the room. My main thoughts where

On arrival the room was very very dark, so much so we left the lights on most of the time.

In our 2 bdr dedicated, the luggage space was hopeless, for instance the large cuPboards was taken up with 2 pack and plays, a high chair, ironing board and iron, and a safe on a pedestal.

The kitchen lacked space also and was so dark that you had better keep the lights on if you were using a knife.

On the plus side:-

The pool area was very good for the youngsters

The savannah had lots of animals on it.

PS: I reported 6 different maintenance faults from faulty lifts to failing emergency lights.

I didn't like the look of the garaged parking as you could see the cars from the front of the building, although this will get better when the trees grow a little (many people made the same comment about the BC)

A nice resort, although I would prefer OKW and I don't even own there.

dianeschlicht
07-22-2009, 09:08 AM
How cool would it be to have a plexiglass dome tunnel with a people mover taking you from JAMBO to KIDANI running straight down the middle of the sunset savahna. Hey, let me dream my little dream!!!

Ehhhh, cool, but not worth the increase in my dues...For that I'll walk the sidewalk.

bobbiwoz
07-22-2009, 09:17 AM
I would not like a plexiglass walkway. Visually, I think it would ruin the savannah.

Bobbi:goodvibes

gkrykewy
07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
We had cockoaches in our Jambo room too. We were there in early May.
We have been to WDW 11 times and never saw a cockroach in any of our rooms before. The manager did admit to me that AKV does have a roach "issue".

Fortunately, it looks like the only references to roaches at Jambo on the entire internet are the post above re: a July 4th stay and your original thread from May. And one TripAdvisor review, which looks like it may be from you. If it's not, that makes three.

To me, this indicates that it's likely to be an isolated "that's florida" issue rather than a pervasive problem, but two reports on the DIS in three months does give me pause.

the who #3
07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
thanks for the advance notice!!!!!!!! i will pack a spray bottle of bug spray.

i quess i might see more animals than i had planned.:eek: are they a protected species?:lmao:

DeeCee735
07-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm sorry you were disappointed. I can't tell you how afraid of that I am.
Now I'm REALLY confused! I chose Kidani over Jambo for my trip this November with my two cousins (no husbands, no kids), specifically for the larger room and the 2nd bathroom (we are in a one bedroom savannah view), knowing I was giving up the proximity to the restaurants, lounge and viewing area behind the pool.

Am I making a mistake? This is the first time I'm bringing them to a DVC resort, and one of my cousins really wants AKV because of the animals. I want to impress them - for two reasons, 1) one cousin invites me to great vacations, 2) I'm hoping the other cousin who is very into the savannah theme, wants to BUY!

What should I do??

Maistre Gracey
07-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm still pulling for bareback zebra rides...

MG

gkrykewy
07-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Now I'm REALLY confused! I chose Kidani over Jambo for my trip this November with my two cousins (no husbands, no kids), specifically for the larger room and the 2nd bathroom (we are in a one bedroom savannah view), knowing I was giving up the proximity to the restaurants, lounge and viewing area behind the pool.

Am I making a mistake? This is the first time I'm bringing them to a DVC resort, and one of my cousins really wants AKV because of the animals. I want to impress them - for two reasons, 1) one cousin invites me to great vacations, 2) I'm hoping the other cousin who is very into the savannah theme, wants to BUY!

What should I do??

I think that staying at Kidani and visiting Jambo is a good plan.

Deb & Bill
07-22-2009, 01:19 PM
thanks for the advance notice!!!!!!!! i will pack a spray bottle of bug spray.

i quess i might see more animals than i had planned.:eek: are they a protected species?:lmao:

Actually, unless it is bug spray to spray on yourself to keep mosquitos and such away from you, you'd probably be better off just reporting insects to Disney. They have a whole pest management system that your home purchased insecticide may disturb (or affect the next guest in the villa).

KAT4DISNEY
07-22-2009, 01:33 PM

What should I do??

IMO stay at Kidani - I think you'll be fine. You made your choice already knowing what the differences are between the two resorts and by selecting what is important to you. You mentioned giving up the viewing area behind the pool but IMO you get a better viewing area at Kidani and viewing from the restaurant. For all that I think could have/should have been done differently at Kidani I do think that animal viewing there is a bit better than Jambo. And the room layout will probably suit you better traveling with an extended family group.

Have a great trip!

the who #3
07-22-2009, 02:06 PM
since we are dreaming, how about a plexiglass people mover from akl to the akpark going right thru the wild animal safari area?:)

LIFERBABE
07-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Fortunately, it looks like the only references to roaches at Jambo on the entire internet are the post above re: a July 4th stay and your original thread from May. And one TripAdvisor review, which looks like it may be from you. If it's not, that makes three.

To me, this indicates that it's likely to be an isolated "that's florida" issue rather than a pervasive problem, but two reports on the DIS in three months does give me pause.

Make that 3.

MADCLFAN
07-22-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't understand why people are complaining about Kidani, its a place to sleep. You are in Walt Disney World, get out of the hotel and do something. My family and I stayed at Jambo House in December in a 1 Bedroom Pool View Room. I thought it was great. I don't know about everyone else but I don't hang around the resort when I'm in Disney, I am out enjoying all the Park's. See ya in November.:woohoo::rotfl2:

Maistre Gracey
07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't understand why people are complaining about Kidani, its a place to sleep. You are in Walt Disney World, get out of the hotel and do something. My family and I stayed at Jambo House in December in a 1 Bedroom Pool View Room. I thought it was great. I don't know about everyone else but I don't hang around the resort when I'm in Disney, I am out enjoying all the Park's. See ya in November.:woohoo::rotfl2:
I'm not complaining about Kidani.. Heck, I think it's great!
That said, I think of my DVC as more than just a place to sleep. Because we have visited WDW so often over the years (40ish on site visits), we don't have the need or desire to spend all day in the parks. The resort itself has become a larger part of our vacation over the years.

MG

ead79
07-22-2009, 04:32 PM
OP, I'm sorry your first trip home wasn't everything you had hoped. I would give Kidani a try to see if you enjoy the larger villas more than those at Jambo House.

To the posters who are concerned about their upcoming stays at AKV, here's my two cents. Absolutely every DVC resort has people who love it and people who don't like it. While AKV is totally my cup of tea, and I didn't really love my stay at OKW, the exact opposite is true for other DVC members. My personal opinion is that if you think AKV interests you, then give it a try and form your own opinion. Don't let the reports of others stop you from trying something you're really looking forward to. It seems like whenever you're considering something, all of a sudden a bunch of posts pop up about it that are negative. In truth, every DVC resort has plusses and minuses, and every guest enjoys different things. So if a stay at any resort appeals to you, then give it a whirl!