PDA

View Full Version : How many Georgia DVC'ers are there here on the DIS?

Tinks "SS"
07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
We are fairly new DVC'ers and new to DIS. WAY ADDICTED now.:lmao: And was wondering how many others are on here from Georgia. Just wondering who else is from my neck of the woods. I've been checking flights but just can't justify flying the four of us down there when we can drive (although a pain with 2 young boys) for a fraction of the cost. what do other georgians do?

WDW LifeLong Fan
07-16-2009, 06:56 PM
We average 6-8 trips each year and usually fly.

Our latest trip was our annual July 4th week trip, we had a 2 BR at OKW with 8 of us, and we flew.

Great time. :thumbsup2

starbox
07-16-2009, 07:45 PM
We drive. I'm not a huge fan of airplanes :sick::scared:and although I live about 5 minutes from Hartsfield, we can drive in 6-7 hours - so I figure we would not save that much time flying once wait times were factored in.

My kids have gotten really used to the drive. We usually leave around 7am, stop about 3/4 times, and arrive around 2. It's not bad at all.

annhad4
07-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi,
We're in Cobb with 4 boys and we always drive. We usually take 3 trips a year and average 6 1/2 to 7 hrs from door to door. We only stop once for gas and restroom break. Even though we always plan to leave before 8 am we never get on the road before noon. We usually pack lots of food for the road, unless I forget it in the garage, which has been known to happen. I really prefer the car, if it was a longer drive I might consider flying, but factoring in rental cars and check in at the airport it just doesn't seem like it would save much time.
Ann

Crystal_27
07-17-2009, 06:54 AM
I'm in Douglasville and we also drive. DD (who's been 3, 4, and 5 during our trips) is actually great in the car - - we keep her occupied with coloring books, crafts, Leapster, music, etc. However, I will say that during our last trip down (DH drove the whole way), I think I heard the word "mommy" a grand total of 15,000 times - LOL. ;)

We actually bought into DVC while we were at Disney in March, and, even though we will only be staying at BLT for one night before our cruise, I'm very much looking forward to our first DVC trip stay. :lovestruc

BigEeyore
07-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Welcome to DVC and the Dis!
I HATE long drives in the car, so if I can find a cheap airfare we usually do that. We have driven before - with young kids you just have to stop more often, so it takes us closer to 9 hrs (we live a good 45 min north of Atlanta though).

TinkRN
07-21-2009, 09:36 PM
We live in Gwinnett county. Driving takes about 7ish hours. Usually we visit Disney 2 times or so a year. :lovestruc

gamamalovesdisney
07-21-2009, 09:56 PM
We live near the Braselton area. We usually go once a year and make the long drive with 2 boys. All I can say is that a DVD player is worth every penny!

TINKRN, are you a nurse?

TinkRN
07-21-2009, 10:01 PM
We live near the Braselton area. We usually go once a year and make the long drive with 2 boys. All I can say is that a DVD player is worth every penny!

TINKRN, are you a nurse?

I am a nurse!:goodvibes
I work in Atlanta.

SaratogaShan
07-22-2009, 06:51 AM
We live in Villa Rica. (I am also a nurse, and work in Atlanta).

We take two trips each year with kids 7 and 4, and we drive. Usually leave around 2-3 am because we like the kids to sleep on the way down! By the time they wake up, we are well over half way there. Saves our sanity!

Don't ask about the drive back home LOL :rotfl:

maburke
07-22-2009, 07:08 AM
We're in the Emory area, and much prefer to drive. I like the flexibility (airports & security wait times stress me out) and my 3 kids are pretty good the car. I've even been known to drive it by myself one way and meet my husband there when he's got business in Orlando -- I'll be doing that again in September. But we survive on the portable DVD player or a laptop playing movies.

cvjw
07-22-2009, 07:16 AM
We live in Marietta and drive to DW. It takes us 7 - 7.5 hours. We go at least once a year, sometimes more. We are currently in the process of buying 350 DVC points, so I am sure we will go at least 2 times a year from now on. If I can convince DH to buy another contract, we could go 3 times a year!

Tinks "SS"
07-22-2009, 07:49 AM
This is cool! half drive and half fly. we would prefer to fly but the saving just aren't there from the ATL. We live just south of atlanta in newnan/ptc area.:cool1:

Wow, what i really think is cool is that there are so many nurses on the dis! I am a RN also who works in Atlanta. Isn't Disney just the perfect get away from the hectic RN life?

It's so good to know that there are quite a few of us from atlanta around here. way too convient to not be DVCers.

mckryan
07-22-2009, 07:50 AM
GA DVC owner here. We're in Coweta county, so it's about a 7 hour drive for us. We head through Griffin to get to 75. DH and I did fly down in April, and I must say it was pretty nice. I think we are flying again in October and using ME this time. We rented a car in April because we had a split stay with OKW and SoG. Thank goodness for frequent flyer miles! =)

GADisneyDVC
07-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Cobb County here. We just drove down on Saturday. We left at 3:00 am and were walking down Main Street by 11:00 am!! :wizard: Stayed one night there then we drove over to Vero Beach for the week and then we will go back to the World for the weekend. We don't mind the drive and our DD is really great in the car.

GANUT4WDW
07-22-2009, 08:30 AM
We're from Twiggs County which is between Macon and Dublin. We ALWAYS drive - usually leave around 6:30 AM and arrive at lunch time. AND WE'RE ALWAYS READY TO GO!!!!!:banana:

simba20
07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
We are from outside of Augusta.

We usually will leave after my husband gets off work, or in the late afternoon and drive down to my mom's in Savannah. Then the next morning, we wake up early, leave by 6, and hit Disney around 11:30.

I have friends who are DVC memebrs who live in Villa Rica and they've started flying.

I like driving. There's just certain places we pass that make it more exciting.

We just got back form a trip last week. Stayed at SSR. Seems that's where we are staying lately. Now I quickly need to decide about next year.

bschoner
07-22-2009, 10:45 AM
DW and I are from Norcross. I wouldn't mind driving, but she hates long car trips, so Hartsfield is as far as we take the car. :)

wtshirleydvc
07-22-2009, 12:33 PM
We usually drive, but we will be flying (for the first time) in September. The airfare was a steal! You should sign up for the deals via email from Airtran and Delta.

flyingcat2003
07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
We live in Pike county. (Williamson) We always drive, but now we have started to look at airfares to see if we can grab a steal.

ead79
07-22-2009, 03:17 PM
We live in Marietta, and we drive. I hate to fly, plus with the long commute to the airport from our house (especially in rush hour), it's just easier and cheaper to drive. We usually go down twice a year--usually a shorter trip in March and a week in December. I figured there might be a lot of Georgia DVCers since it's not a very far distance to travel to WDW.

TinkRN
07-22-2009, 08:50 PM
How funny so many are from the ATL area!

By the way I work at Emory.

RachelTori
07-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Another Georgia DVCer here! For almost 5 years we've lived in the Grayson/Loganville area, but Marietta was our home for 17 years! :goodvibes

We usually drive when it's "we" (we are 3 or 4, depending!), but I fly when I'm doing a solo trip! :goodvibes

DVCDAWG
07-25-2009, 07:23 AM
We live in Flowery Branch and always drive. My parents live in the Villages, Fla. so we always stop on way down to visit. Visit 2 to 3 times per year, getting harder to go as often as son is involved with high school sports.

Nice to meet others from GA.,even if on-line.:)

mmmagic7754
07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
We live in Athens and also drive.Got our routine down,i drive to Valdosta and wife drives us on into WDW.She is also a RN in the ER andDisney is a much needed escape.

noochez
07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Another one in GA.

We live in Douglasville and just bought BLT on our trip in March. We mostly fly, but have driven it a couple of times. It's not a bad drive.

Looking forward to our first trip to BLT in September!!

It's so nice to meet other DVC'ers from GA.

deerh
07-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi, Another Ga DVC owner here.
We always drive to WDW, as it is not a bad drive. As others have said, LEAVE EARLY to avoid the ATL traffic (4-6am), and its not bad. Takes about 7.5 hrs or so... We have older kids (15 and 20). The 20 year old does not go anymore he is in college, so it is the 15 year old and a friend, so it is not a bad trip-they sleep and watch dvd's or listen to ipods...... SO nice-I don't miss the days when they were 2 years old-then we flew!!! ha ha
By the way we live in Woodstock,Ga

deerh

Figment1983
07-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Paulding DVC'er...we always drive down. We leave between 4am and 5am so that we are able to be in DTD for lunch at Wolfgang Pucks.

THACKB
07-25-2009, 03:55 PM
We joined DVC this week and our home resort is BLT! Excited is an understatement! We live just north of Atlanta, GA and drive down every year. Takes about 8 hours if you miss rush hour and we have three children! Never a problem.

Kickapoo Joie Juice
07-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi :wave:

We live north of atlanta, it usually takes us about 6 1/2 -7 hours. We drive down about 4-5 times a year, our home is VWL :goodvibes.

We like driving, we normally leave around 3 in the morning, miss all the bad traffic through atlanta and locust grove (what IS it with that exit!), take the 429 spur off the turnpike, and are at the hotel by 10 am :). Kids usually sleep the first 4 hours, wake up for breakfast at valdosta when we fill up the gas tank.

I'm not surprised to see so many Georgia DVC'ers, we're close enough to make multiple trips easy and worth it! I know two other families that are DVC in our neighborhood :wizard:.