PDA

View Full Version : stop over camgrounds around columbia sc

Disney crazy mama
07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
We are thinking of breaking up that 14 hour trip into 2 days. Anybody have any recommendations for a clean, safe stop over campground anywhere from columbia to Savannah?

Shan-man
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM
For an easy in and out campground, that's clean, cheap, safe and quiet I recommend Pedro's South of the Border at the NC/SC stateline (SC side). The rest of Pedro's is a little kitschy (neon covered redneck mexican vegas kind of kitschy!) but the campground is nice. I think it was $25 a night.

:santa:

Elliott
07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
If you are not a KOA hater the Charlotte/Fort Mill KOA is pretty good. They have this cool "jumping pillow" that the kids love and a decent pool. Shower houses were OK.
We also stayed in the "Barnyard" campground right in Columbia once but we pulled in after dark and left at sun-up. I wasn't too impressed though.

medic9016
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM
On I-95 between I-26 and Savannah, there is Colleton State park it is small, quiet and just a mile off 95, New green acres is about 30 min south of I-26 right off I-95, alot of folks use this for an overnight stop. About 50 min south of I-26 is KOA at Point South.

Are you coming across I-26 or straight down I-95.?

CDNCruiser
07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
The KOA at Savannah South (Richmond Hill, GA) is quite nice. We've overnighted there several times.

southcarolinagirl
07-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Right off I-20 in Columbia is Sesquicentennial State Park, off I-26 near Charleston, James Island County Park (one of our favorites).

Disney crazy mama
07-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Ok, So I probably should have mentioned what interstate I am traveling on. I'm coming down I-77 thru nc then in sc, getting on I-26 east then I- 95 south.

So, I'm trying to find all of these places, but not very successfully. I think Pedro's is on a different route.

Any of these places close to a beach? My crew would love a short evening trip to the beach.

JCJRSmith
07-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Ok, So I probably should have mentioned what interstate I am traveling on. I'm coming down I-77 thru nc then in sc, getting on I-26 east then I- 95 south.

So, I'm trying to find all of these places, but not very successfully. I think Pedro's is on a different route.

Any of these places close to a beach? My crew would love a short evening trip to the beach.

By the time you hit I-95, you will be well south of Pedro's. There is a KOA, the Point South KOA, that is not too far off your route if you don't mind travelling a little further than Columbia your first day. Here is a link to the KOA's in South Carolina, and if you drive a little further on day one, you will be that much closer to the Fort when you head out on day two:

http://www.koa.com/where/sc/index.htm

drafthorsecrazy
07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
We stop at New Green Acres in Walterboro S.C. Its located on I-95 shortly after you turn off I-26. Its a clean simple campground located right next to the interstate. Easy on, easy off. http://www.newgreenacres.com/

Disney crazy mama
07-17-2009, 02:19 PM
I like the looks of this new green acres place. Easy is always good when hauling a camper. I don't really think I could sell my DH on a beach spot. Everything looks way to far off the route, and I think that would be a real pain.

On our very first long haul in 2004 we almost drug the bottom out of the camper. Since that trip I use the next exit and look for exits with truck stops.

I think I will call this new green acres rv park.

Thanks for all the help. :goodvibes

CDNCruiser
07-17-2009, 05:04 PM
You will like New Green Acres . . . easy in and out, long sites, all pull throughs, and shaded by plenty of tall pines.

It's a regular stop for us both soutbound and northbound!

Disney crazy mama
07-22-2009, 08:40 AM
New Green Acres was perfect. Easy in easy out. We didn't get there till 9:00. We did forget one critical peice to the sewer hose, so we had to unhook and find walmart. It's one exit away on I-95. Also very easy to find.

Thanks for your help. We r now headed to the st Augustine area for a day at the beach. Haven't decided on place to stay yet, so if anyone has some tips let me know.

drafthorsecrazy
07-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your help. We r now headed to the st Augustine area for a day at the beach. Haven't decided on place to stay yet, so if anyone has some tips let me know.

First choice would be Anastasia State Park http://www.floridastateparks.org/anastasia/default.cfm but they are probably booked up if you have anything over 30'. North Beach Camp is worth a try. http://www.northbeachcamp.com/ If nothing on the beach is available maybe Stagecoach. http://stagecoachrv.net/ right off I95. They have lots of pull thrus.

ob1quixote
07-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Another good stop would be Broxton Bridge. It is in the general Walterboro SC area, about 18 miles off I-95. 120 full hook-up sites everything from fully shaded to wide open. Minimal amenities, but wonderful peace and quiet at night.

They are an equestrian/sporting clays/hunting preserve, so days may find some shots in the distance. They also have miles of trails that you can ride your golf cart on {NO ATVs or motorcycles}, check at the office and remember to pull to the side and stop if you encounter a horse.

My cycle club holds a race there once a year, MLK weekend, so dont show up then! We will have the place completely booked!

Tell 'em Robert of the Family Riders sent ya!

http://www.broxtonbridge.com/

Disney crazy mama
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Well you are two for two for us, drafthorse. We love Anastasia state park. It's the most beautiful beach that I have ever seen. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

braclark
07-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Coming from MA last April down 77, we stayed at KOA Fort Mill. It was nothing fancy, but easy off of the highway. After check in, they had me follow someone in a golf cart to find my site, and then that person directed me into the site. They were very nice people, the showers were clean and free and they had free coffee in the convenience store/gas station.

The kids loved the jumping pillow, but don't promise them that they'll get to jump more in the morning if you are going to head out before 10am, because it doesn't open until then. :rolleyes1

Also, before going to Ft Wilderness, we stayed at Gamble Rogers State Park. A good park to be able to walk to the beach. It was very windy, and our site couldn't see the beach either.