PDA

View Full Version : What is Kidani Village Missing?

disrailfan
07-15-2009, 07:49 PM
We are currently staying at Kidani Village this week and have been here since Sunday July 12th. First let me start by saying that the resort is beautiful. That being said I'm sure many of us have stayed there now and have some opinions on what is missing.

Next will be the choice of Quick Service Dining options. Uh well there are none at Kidani Village. This resort needs two things, a real Quick Service place, even if it is like the small cook area at OKW, and it needs a real bar that is open later than dusk (the only one is located at the pool). :drinking1

My last and final rant will be about the Convenience store / shop. Needs some help in my opinion, needs more grocery options unless Disney is really trying to push everyone in to using the offsite grocery options.

Now the good things:

The staff was very helpful and accomodating during our weeks stay.

Our room was ready at 8:00 AM in the morning. This has never happened to us ever.

The buses appear to mostly stop at Kidani Village first. This was a really good thing.

Resort is very quiet.

So see I am not completely negative, I would like to hear other peoples experiences and suggestions for improvement. I have already shared mine with the resort management and with DVC.

-DisRailFan :goodvibes

LisaS
07-15-2009, 07:53 PM
This resort needs two things, a real Quick Service place, even if it is like the small cook area at OKW, and it needs a real bar that is open later than dusk (the only one is located at the pool). :drinking1There is a lounge on the lower level next to Sanaa.

ETA: This is from the public DVC website:

Sanaa
Indulge your senses! Sanaa, meaning "work of art," defines the atmosphere and the cuisine at this restaurant — with beautifully prepared food and an atmosphere simmering with style. Relax in the comfortable lounge that is adjacent to the spacious dining room. Savor lunch and dinner here.

tecodis
07-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Next will be the choice of Quick Service Dining options. Uh well there are none at Kidani Village. This resort needs two things, a real Quick Service place, even if it is like the small cook area at OKW, and it needs a real bar that is open later than dusk (the only one is located at the pool). :drinking1

This is the other one I couldn't agree with you more! Every time I wanted something to eat for dinner, I ended up leaving the resort. Which, ironically, meant I drove off-site since I was already in the car anyway and that close to US192. Had there been a quick-service option (other than the pool bar/room service thingy), I probably would have ate there most times.

:confused3

glennbo123
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
There is a lounge on the lower level next to Sanaa.

Yes, here it is:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm183/glennbo123/Replies%20to%20posts/img_0652.jpg

LisaS
07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Yes, here it is:Thanks for posting that. I was trying to find a photo that showed those very interesting chairs. We only walked through the lounge during our stay but I did try out one of the chairs!

CarolAnnC
07-15-2009, 10:30 PM
I would like to keep this thread open, however, Smoking is a topic that is not allowed here on the DVC Boards. It is deemed a Resort Policy and not a DVC specific topic. Not to mention, that it is always a very heated argument.

So, let's continue, but the smoking comments have been edited out. Thanks all!

disrailfan
07-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the bar. We were told the lounge for Saana was only if you planned on eating. Also we went there tonight after I saw this post and the lounge was closed already at 10:00. :confused3

CarolAnnC: I understand the issue, just wanted to hopefully get some others feedback on the location of this eye sore / Health risk to some and where I could go to complain. I do not like to stir up heated debates on here.

Thanks,

DisRailFan

LisaS
07-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the bar. We were told the lounge for Saana was only if you planned on eating. Also we went there tonight after I saw this post and the lounge was closed already at 10:00. :confused3Wow -- that seems very short sighted on their part (both the limited hours and the restriction to Sanaa patrons only). DH and I planned to stop by there one evening during our next stay at Kidani but I guess that's off the agenda now. Just curious: who told you it was for Sanaa patrons only? I'm disappointed to hear this!

wilma-bride
07-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Wow -- that seems very short sighted on their part (both the limited hours and the restriction to Sanaa patrons only). DH and I planned to stop by there one evening during our next stay at Kidani but I guess that's off the agenda now. Just curious: who told you it was for Sanaa patrons only? I'm disappointed to hear this!

Exactly what I was thinking - our friends and I had plans to enjoy a few drinks once the kids were settled for the night. I am disappointed now, to know that might not be an option.

WilsonFlyer
07-16-2009, 07:44 AM
CarolAnnC: I understand the issue, just wanted to hopefully get some others feedback on the location of this eye sore / Health risk to some and where I could go to complain. I do not like to stir up heated debates on here.

Thanks,

DisRailFan

The contradiction and the irony in back-to-back proclamations.

danielle782001
07-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I agree 100% that Kidani needs a quick sercive or at the very least maybe a coffee bar in the lobby with some quick cold foods like bagels, muffins, rolls, sandwichs, something...Mara is just too far and the gift shop is too limited.

We need to all write/ call member services to make our voice heard...That is the only way things will change...I already have my email into MS!

ADP
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
100% yes...Kidani does a need a quick service restaurant. Hopefully, in the future.

nvrenoughdisney
07-16-2009, 04:05 PM
I stayed at Kidani last month (and loved it) and today I got a postcard in the mail with Kidani Village on the front and a note on the back inviting me to participate in an online survey. So, it seems they are at least soliciting our opinions!

MLK-RI
07-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I had also emailed of my disappointment at there not being a quick service at Kidani. I received a phone call back from MS and we discussed it a little. He seemed to be compiling responses and while I have nothing concrete, his tone suggested to me that they were hearing this and might do something before they finish the resort off.

robandkelly13
07-16-2009, 07:36 PM
DH and I had a few cocktails at the bar at Sanaa and an appetizer. It was very nice, but there were very few people there. I wonder if they will stay open later if more people are there:confused3 The time wasn't an issue with us - I believe we were there 5 or 6ish in the evening.

CapeCodFam
07-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I was worried at first too about the lack of CS or kid friendly options. But, we decided we would walk over to Jambo and frequent Mara. We're going on 7/26. I hope we don't sizzle on the walk.

We, too, had emailed member satisfaction asking that a CS be considered.

twinmomplus2new
07-16-2009, 11:47 PM
We are going in August. and the kids were super excited to go to the new pools etc. until they realized no quick service. my 2 ,15 year olds vetoed. kidani.

Because they said they wont swim every day we can walk over for that. But they will eat every day so threfore, it was more important to them to be closer to the Mara. Made sense to me.:thumbsup2

TLPL
07-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Can someone tell me where the walking path to Jambo House is? I am looking at the resort map posted on the other site, can peopel take that little narrow path on the upper right hand corner of the map, or walk along the middle grey road with the text "to Jambo House"?

LisaS
07-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Can someone tell me where the walking path to Jambo House is? I am looking at the resort map posted on the other site, can peopel take that little narrow path on the upper right hand corner of the map, or walk along the middle grey road with the text "to Jambo House"?Exit Kidani via the lobby (or the door closest to the bus stop) and walk to and through the bus stop area and just keep going. The path takes you down to ground level where you will walk in between the under building parking and the parking in front of the south wing of Kidani. When you get to the end of the Kidani building, walk across the roadway into the delivery area and just keep going until you get to the Jambo House parking area. You can then take either the HA ramp or the steps up to Jambo's porte cochere.

If it's hot or raining and you want to walk indoors as much as possible, walk through the south wing until you come to the Zasu (or is it Zazu?) elevator. Take that down to the parking lot level. Exit the parking lot via the walkway. When you get to the main walkway past the parking lot, turn left and then follow the directions above.

cyndisun
07-23-2009, 08:45 PM
An earlier post mentioned that the convenience store needs some help. Can anyone give a brief description of what can be purchased? We gave up CL at Jambo for a one-bedroom villa (not members). We really just need milk, cereal and juice. I'd hate to use the online grocery for just that.

Also, is coffee provided with the coffe makers in the villas?

TIA!

Mr_Potts
07-23-2009, 09:13 PM
An earlier post mentioned that the convenience store needs some help. Can anyone give a brief description of what can be purchased? We gave up CL at Jambo for a one-bedroom villa (not members). We really just need milk, cereal and juice. I'd hate to use the online grocery for just that.

Also, is coffee provided with the coffe makers in the villas?

TIA!

You will be happy to know that you can get all of those things and your Mickey coffee at the store. We also bought English muffins, eggs, butter, bowls of peaches--I could go on and on. I thought the selection of groceries was just as good at Kidani as it is at Artist's Palate at SSR. Trust me, during our five night stay from 7/8 to 7/13 we never HAD to walk over to Jambo for breakfast once. That being said, we did have a great breakfast at Boma one morning. The minute we arrived at Kidani we had lunch at Sanaa and loved it. Don't miss the bread service! Another cool thing is that the pool bar has a phone you can use to call Sanaa to get "pool" service of some of their salads and sandwiches. I had their yummy burger served poolside in a Bento box with mango pudding. So elegant I felt like I was at the Beverly Wilshire. Kidani rocks!

Diznee4me
07-24-2009, 10:08 AM
No one mentioned this so maybe it is just me. As I drove up for the first time to Kidani I pulled in and parked in an unfinished parking garage with pipes along the ceiling. It felt very much "unDisney". Then walking into the lobby, it was so small. Maybe I just had totally different expectations, but... Lastly, the pool area just seemed so claustrophobic. It was so condensed together. I would have liked it to be more spread out. I don't know maybe I just compare it to AKL and I should not. I think I had my hopes up to high and when I parked in a garage it set a negative tone. I guess I should use this as an opportunity to go to Disney again sooner to give Kidani a two out of three chance to win me over. What do you think?

disrailfan
07-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I agree the store has most things that you need milk, bread, etc. It is a decent slection, they even have beer and wine. More of my concern was the lack of Quick Service meals. We were on the QS Meal plan this last trip and not having any QS options at Kidani was a detrement and almost ended us with having 6 QS meals left over.

I agree with the other poster on the parking garage, also the lack of directional signage in the parking garage was a problem as well. As a DVC member we always do Valet parking, but had I self parked I think I would have been lost.

The pool area is nice but I agree it seemed cramped. Since there is construction still going on behind those big green walls maybe there are plans to open that area up a little better. I was very impressed with the health / workout center even though it is so far away from everything. I felt like I already had my workout before I even got there. :cool1:

Cmbar
07-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I have not stayed at Kidani. I visited it last time we were there a few weeks ago. I was very dissappointed with the small feeling and empty feeling. NOW... I didn't adventure enough to find the pool so I can't comment on that. I just gave up and went back to the buses. I was shocked at how small the store was. Also, I would never want to stay here because of lack of CS. If I can't get Jambo we won't be staying at AKL. It is ashame because the rooms and the savanah are beautiful. It just felt so cut off from Jambo and all the excitement of Jambo. I don't understand why they had to make it so separate. All the other DVC resorts that are attached to other resort hotels feel like an attachment as well, but they are not far from the other things.

I guess for us and our kids a Counter Service is vital. It is also one of the reasons we won't stay at Boardwalk. I don't want to cook on vacation at all and I don't want to clean up after my kids eating in the room, so for us we have to stay where there is a food court. That will have to be BLT, Jambo, SSR and VWL. We knew that buying in though. Having a sit down restaurant is great like Sanaa's but I do not want to have to wait to be seated and all that to get breakfast or lunch.

magicaldisney
07-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Just got back on Saturday from a weeks stay at Kidani. I talked myself into liking it the first day, but when I let myself feel the way I really felt, here are my disappointments.

To echo what has already been said...No counter service and the pool is very nice with a great slide, but way too small. I have a hard time believing it will accomodate a full resort.

Now for other thoughts: (and please, these are only MY opinions)

What the heck is the deal with the bus stop to HS not being covered. Not only does it look weird, but what were they thinking? The look of the resort on the back side (the savanaah side) is very nice looking, however the front looks like an industrial plant (or a prison as I've seen others state ;). If you didn't have to see the eyesore of the parking area that might help. The walk to Jambo is not appealing. We were at the pool in the morning around 10:00 and in the evening around 9:00 and both times the refillable station for the mugs was closed. The pool is open 24 hours a day, yet the refillable station is open very limited hours. I understand it can't be open if no one can monitor it, but it limits where you can refill your mugs.

There were also many good things about the resort, but this particular thread is asking for things that are lacking. I wanted soooo much to love Kidani, but I will be honest and say it was nice, but I'm not in love.

As a side note. We were told by a couple of different cast members at Kidani that Kidani has more grocery options on site than Jambo does. Don't know if I can truly believe that, but that is what we were told.

paulh
07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
when SSR first opened there was no TS,but after feedback they put in the turf club.think same will come about with the QS option at akl
Paulh

disrailfan
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
when SSR first opened there was no TS,but after feedback they put in the turf club.think same will come about with the QS option at akl
Paulh

We can only hope, but everyone needs to write DVC and let them know. I would have thought I would have gotten a survey in email from the resort by now but have not. I'll probably get left out of the surveys this time. :confused3

domiii
07-24-2009, 03:08 PM
We recently stayed in a GV at Kidani and loved every minute of it. We did not require quick service, as I love to cook and took care of the meals (short order and lengthy meals) so I have no comment on that. But I can see how it would be missed.

My family did feel the pool was small, but I did not get there myself.

DD and I sat at the bar in Sanaa around 9:30/10:00 pm and enjoyed a few drinks, appetizers and dessert. The bartenders were fabulous and we were not rushed or told we could not be there. The kitchen closes at 10, however.

The CMs were all really fantastic. Perhaps since the resort is not 100% complete they scaled down on the amenities?

sixcats
07-24-2009, 05:15 PM
We stayed at Kidani last week for two days. The room(a 2 bedroom) was the nicest size and layout of any we have stayed at in WDW. We are in a 2 bedroom suite at Boardwalk Inn right now and Kidani was much nicer.

We had no trouble using the bar at Sanaa.I would really love it if they added a small grab and go place. Even a little one! The walk is well marked between the two resorts, but it gets hot. It is super easy to jump on any one of the park busses at Kidani, except Downtown Disney, and go straight to Jambo house. From Jambo house you board a Downtown Disney bus to return to Kidani.

We were in Jambo house for a few days before moving to Kidani. In the future, our first choice will be Kidani.