PDA

View Full Version : New Tires need advice

Carrie Ellis
07-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Hello to all!

We are not new to RVing or Fort Wilderness but we ARE new to buying tires for the RV!!!

We have had our "new" RV since 2003 and feel like we should put new tires on it before heading to the Fort the last week in August. We have not had any problems w/ the tires but I do see small tiny cracks and it has not been stored indoors.

I went onto RV.net and looked up any info that we should know. Basically the two things pointed out was to make sure the tires that you purchase are under a year old (by the date on the tires) and not to by tires from China! I probably can handle the date but the China thing might be impossible.

If any of you experienced RVing could give us any more advice, I would really appreciate it!

We are looking at getting tires at NTB who give a govt discount. They are radial tires and the brand is Tomax. My husband spoke to a person who had a trailer too and he highly recommended this brand over any other they had. They are around $101 each.

The ones that are on our travel trailer right now are Mission TC-108. Our TT is a Keystone Cougar, 34 ft.

Also on RV.net there was difference of opinion on whether to have them balanced. Any thoughts? The guy at NTB told my husband that we do not need too.

Thank you ahead of time so much for any advice.

Carrie

big kahuna1
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
I cannot comment on the brand Tomax. I am not sure what size you require but if it is a 15" tire then Maxxis is one of the very few mfgs. that make an "E" rated tire in 15" and have received very good reviews from people on RV.Net who have them. I have these on my 39' Toy Hauler now for 2 years and and am very pleased. And YES, have them balanced and have the Heavy Duty Valve stems put in. :thumbsup2

Carrie Ellis
07-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Thank you Steve!
Excuse my ignorance but my husband is not here and I am going off what I wrote down from the tire...
but it has ST225175R15
So does this mean that the ones on the there are 15"?

I will make note on the stem.

Also, do you think a place like NTB could order those? I guess I should be asking them and not you! sorry! ha

big kahuna1
07-14-2009, 02:42 PM
They could be a dealer so of course, you would have to ask them.

Here is a link to their website which has a find "dealer" search.

http://www.maxxis.com/

And yep, those are 15" tires. Whatever brand you choose I would go with a "E" rated tire and not "D".

2goofycampers
07-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Last time we needed tires, Discount Tire even beat Sam's Club prices by quite alot. :thumbsup2

DisCamper
07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
I have a 2007 TT and had to get new tires for it. First mine were recalled next there were small tiny cracks. I did take it in for the recall because my deal told me I would have to leave it up to a month and we where leave for Disney in 2 weeks so I payed for them myself. I got I think road kings they cost about $100 per tire I bought them just for insurants not to damage my TT.

kc5grw
07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Replace the tires. I have a 2003 5er that I debated with myself for months about replacing the tire prior to my June 2007 trip to WDW. I ended up losing two tires on the way down forcing me to buy 4 new tires in Mississippi. Do it now and save yourself the aggravation and worry.

DisCamper
07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
When I first started getting into RV’ing I talked to people I guess the rule of thumb is every 5 yrs you need to replace them. If Keystone was not so cheap I could have gotten 3 more years out of it. China tire companies mocked me saying they make better tires. You know how well China companies make products

jugman
07-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I would suggest a light truck(LT) tire instead of the trailer(ST) tires you have on there now.

Carrie Ellis
07-14-2009, 06:44 PM
For anyone who has replied but didn't state that they got their tires balanced? Did you?

What does everyone think about balancing?

Carrie Ellis
07-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I would suggest a light truck(LT) tire instead of the trailer(ST) tires you have on there now.

I could guess probably but what are the benefit of LT over ST? If you don't mind me asking!

Thank you!

datgrt@fw
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Replace the tires. I have a 2003 5er that I debated with myself for months about replacing the tire prior to my June 2007 trip to WDW. I ended up losing two tires on the way down forcing me to buy 4 new tires in Mississippi. Do it now and save yourself the aggravation and worry.

I would also recommend replacing the tires. During our return trip back to NC from FW this past June we also had two tires blow out on my BIL's Camper! Prior to leaving on our trip his tires did not show any cracks or signs of wear. In all of the years that we have traveled to Fort Wilderness and back home I have never seen so many campers and other vehicles on the side of the Interstate with flat tires! I feel sure that the 'Hot' temperatures of the roads played a part in the tire problems. Just to be safe if I were you I would purchase a new set of tires before I headed out!

Safe Travels and enjoy your vacation at Fort Wilderness!

Doug / datgrt@fw

becky1960
07-14-2009, 07:04 PM
I would also be interested in which 15" LT tires have a higher load rating than ST trailer tires. I will also be needing some later. The ST tires I have now have a load rating of 2780 lb each and the trailer is 10600 which puts me close to max.

Shan-man
07-14-2009, 07:14 PM
One thing I learned (the hard way) is that as few miles as we put on our RV, buying premium tires is a waste. We don't need an 80,000 mile treadlife when the tires will dry-rot in 5 years with 10,000 mile on them! Leave the Goodyear RV tires for the full-timers.

:santa:

bigdisneydaddy
07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Have the tires balanced, get the good metal valve stems, buy the best quality that your budget allows, cheaper is seldom better.

Personally I replace mine at 5 yrs (had one blow out when they were almost 5yrs old so the whole set got replaced)

I typically buy Goodyear tires for all my needs, the original tires on my 03 Fleetwood were Goodyear marathons and thats what I replaced them with. There are many Goodyear dealers/retailers throughout the US and I like being able to get service and or warranty if I need to.

bigdisneydaddy
07-14-2009, 07:19 PM
One thing I learned (the hard way) is that as few miles as we put on our RV, buying premium tires is a waste. We don't need an 80,000 mile treadlife when the tires will dry-rot in 5 years with 10,000 mile on them! Leave the Goodyear RV tires for the full-timers.

We have a truck at work that still has the original 17 yr old steer tires on it, Goodyears.

Shan-man
07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Ignore everything I said, I'd listen to Scott!

stacktester
07-14-2009, 08:15 PM
We have a truck at work that still has the original 17 yr old steer tires on it, Goodyears.

Ignore everything I said, I'd listen to Scott!

Yes but do those steer tires drive hundreds of miles at a time? I only have a 2 hour drive to most of my destinations but I worry a lot about tire blowouts. I have good tread but when the road is hot it takes a toll on them. I actually dropped 7 pounds out of each tire when we went to the Keys last month due to the heat. That 7 pounds was right back in there by the time we hit Homestead.

LONE-STAR
07-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I agree with Scott on Goodyear Marathons we have had a couple of sets. Good tires. Never had them balanced though (not that its a bad idea).

Tnbob
07-14-2009, 11:01 PM
OK, my two cents...I had a 2002 27ft Sunnybrook TT with Goodyear Marathons on it, I bought it used off the neighbor. The tires were the original tires that came with it and had been from Tn to Alaska and back, sat for 2 years and I bought it. I had it to the fort 3 times (1500 miles each)and to NJ once (2000 miles) and comming back from the 4th trip with it to the Fort blew one out. I went to Discount Tire in Tallahassee got a new one and went on my way. When I got home I replaced all 4 tires with new ones in load D instead of C and thought I was in good shape. We left for NJ again two weeks later and in Blacksburg Va. on 81 (500 miles) blew one of the new tires out, I mean blew the whole side wall off the tire. I called goodyear and took the tire to one of their stores and they warrantied the tire (belt separation)and I had no further problems with them, now fast forward to my new Brookside TT that I got last year. This had the Loadstar (Kenda) crappo tires on it. We have had this one to the Fort 3 times and on the 4th trip this June blew one out in Ocala on the way down. We found a Discount tire got a new tire (Carlisle) and were on our way to the Fort. When I got home I called Kenda and they picked up the tire (Fed ex) and looked at it (belt seperation again) and Fed ex'ed me a new one, I took it to Discount tire and they took the Carlisle back and mounted the new tire, I can't say enough good about my experiances with Discount tire. Before anyone hammers me be advised I check the air pressures constantly, don't hit curbs and have weighed my TT to get the weights right. Now why do I tell you all this, because I have read up on SP tires on the forum I listed (I don't know if I am susposed to list another forum or not but I am) and there are a million and one opinions as to which tire to buy and why, so read it and make an informed decision and good luck, seems ST tires are at the bottom of the food chain and quality lacks.

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/boards/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/19845815.cfm

Sorry for the long drawn out post but information is key to a good decision and if ya want to know why I had to take the new Michelins off my truck after 2000 miles just ask, its another long story.

LarryJ
07-15-2009, 05:10 AM
I will just add a few thoughts I have on TT tires in no particular order of importance.

1. While GY has a quality problem with their Marathon ST tires (15" size as I remember) a few years ago I don't think if they are made in China is a bad thing. BTW from what I understand GY is now making them in the U.S. and you can order/get them thru WM for around $100 ea.

2. I've been using GY Marathon ST tires for the last 13 years and have put close to 40K miles on like 12 or so tires with never a problem. I've also heard good things about Maxxis trailer tires. These two would be the only ones I would put on my trailer.

3. If you trailer is stowed where the sun hits the tires replacing them about ever 6 years is probably a good idea. My trailer tires are never in the sun so I will probably go 10 years unless I see them start to crack. I also douse them with 303 every couple of months.

4. I would not use LT tires on a trailer. ST tires are different and have stiffer side walls and are designed to hold up under the racking or scuffing that happens in tight slow turns/maneuvers in tandem axle trailers with closely spaced axles. Also you have to be absolutely sure that your rims are matched pressure wise to the inflation requirements of what ever tire you put on the rim. A lot of rims are stamped with the max pressure inside so you have to remove the tire to see what your rim is rated at.

5. I feel that most tire failures are from either under inflation or excessive speed. At normal inflation pressures ST tires are limited to 65mph. You can add 10psi for speeds between 66 and 75 according to GY, but that is going beyond normal and most TT rims are not rated for that increased pressure. Normally 14" rims will be rated for 50psi and 15" rims rated for 65psi. I normally tow at 60mph for both tire reasons, mpg considerations, and my level of comfort. Another problem is because you are running them at close to their limits both pressure/load/speed wise a single significant pot hole hit at interstate speeds can damage a tire and cause either tread separation or side wall failure.

6. On my current trailer and it's China made GY's my axle wts are only 200 or so lbs under the max for the four tires and with around 6K on them so far no problems.

7. If you have the Tor-Flex type axles which do not use the exposed springs, but use a system of rubber inside the axle for suspension there is a minimum spacing between the tires at max load that needs to be maintained and that is around 1 to 1.5" so be careful if increase your tire size that you don't end up violating that min. distance.

8. I have never had a TT tire balanced since I don't see the need. You're not concerned about ride like in a car/truck.

9. While nice metal valve stems are really not needed on TT tires IMHO and I have never had a valve stem failure on either my trailer or any of my vehicles in the last almost 45 years.

Just MHO and some tidbits to chew on and either spit out or digest :lmao:

Larry

bigdisneydaddy
07-15-2009, 06:43 AM
The one failure I had could have been much worse had I not been as attentive as I am while towing. We had just stopped at the service plaza on the turnpike in FL and I checked the tires there. About 10 miles North on 75 and I see debris on the road, behind me on the left side, I scan the roadway thinking maybe I had run thru someone elses tire debris and didnt see any, I then looked back and saw the light blue smoke and pulled over immediately. The entire outer sidewall was shredded but the tread stayed intact. I think I must ahve run over something sharp and the tire leaked air out and ate itself up running flat, I would have never noticed it form the way the trailer handled, there was no change in the way it towed.

Coach tires and ST trailer tires are entirely different animals and are not subject to the same replacement timeline. I will say that any tire that is exposed to UV will degrade and its always a good idea to cover them when not in use.

There are better tires out there than Goodyear, Michelin makes excellent tires but I dont think they have an ST line. Goodyears delaer network and nationwide service are part of what keeps me buying them.

Town tire in Gainesville off of I75 has very good service and reasonable prices if you are ever in a jam on the way to WDW.

Carrie Ellis
07-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Thank you everyone for the time and advice! This is great information and we have learned a lot from everyone.

I am sure others have too. I know when other threads have came out I have soaked up that info even though I did not reply.

I checked on the Maxxis ones and our nearest dealer is over 40 minutes away. bummer or I would go with them.

Husband is calling Sears today to find out what deals are being offered too. He is military and we are both govt and I think they give a discount.

So, we might go with goodyear from all the points pointed out on this thread too.

We have tire covers (bought them last year) but we have not used them. With these new tires we are going to cover and keep them healthy as possible.

I have 4 kiddos and I want to make sure we make the safest purchase. Plus, never want to make a bad decision and hurt anyone else out there on the road either.

Thanks a million!

jugman
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I have read to many blowout stories of ST tires is my biggest reason. I also don't understand why IF it's such a great tire why it's only for a trailer. I know, alot of people have never had any problem's with them, but why not just run a good light truck tire and be done with it. I have read and heard all about how the ST's have more of this and more of that, but I still want to know if they are that good why not put them on your TV, your car and everything else. This is only my opinion which is worth nothing, but I do not use ST tires for nothing.

Our camper came with LT tires on it when new, but they were the kenda junk, so I replaced them before going anywhere. kenda did pay for the new tires once I cut the DOT numbers off and sent them to them.

becky1960
07-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Have you ever seen how the axles flex the tires in a sharp turn, thats why ST rated tires have larger load rates and reenforced sidewalls. I cannot find a LT tire with a heavy load range for our trailer in 15". I have talked to a couple of RV repair sites that said to reverse the Axles and use 16" tires, but that seem like to much work to me..

DisCamper
07-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Remember the tires on our TT have 65 psi not like our cars witch have about 35 psi. If a 65psi tire lets go it will do lot’s of damage. The big rigs have 100 + psi in there tires

LarryJ
07-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Remember the tires on our TT have 65 psi not like our cars witch have about 35 psi. If a 65psi tire lets go it will do lotís of damage. The big rigs have 100 + psi in there tires

Almost all 14" TT ST tires are Load range C (that being most out there in the under 8K GVWR) with 50psi max including the rims, and 15" are Load range D (65psi and I'm unaware of any 15" E ST or LT rated tires) with 16" being either Load range C, D, or E with E being 80 psi. All 3/4 and 1T TV come with load range E tires. As I mentioned a major consideration for a tandem axle trailer with closely spaced axles is the tire scrub or ladder rack in very tight turns at slow speed where one tire is twisted on the rim to pavement and the other is in the opposite direction ... that puts a tremendous stress on the side walls which ST tires are designed to withstand whereas LT tires except once you get to the 16" E rated ones are not. This twist is often reported as a problem in folks with 4x4 with lockers on their axles when they are in 4x4 mode locked and in a turn on non slick areas where the front or rear tries to "jump" because of the twisting forces on either the rear or front axle.

There have been a lot of threads on various forums concerning poor towing performance from the Ford Excursion with heavier trailers. That vehicle typically comes with 16" load range D tires and just up grading to the heavier sidewalled E range 80 psi tire has helped with the towing issues with that very capable tow vehicle.

I know some TT/5ers use LT tires, but to my knowledge almost none have 15" tires and most are into the 16" E rated tires which in the 235 profile have a load range of 3042 a tire so for a GVWR that's around 12 to 13K GVWR.

Larry

Carrie Ellis
07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Well we ended up ordering tires through a local goodyear dealer.

We talked to NTB, Sears, Sams and then the local dealer.

NTB had the Tomax brand and we could have gotten those for around $94/tire or less (they said they would give us a govt discount).

Sears said they have no ST tires that are D load. All they had were C load. I found the goodyear tire that we thought we would get online and Sears said they could not get it. I called and asked her again and she called and asked someone else and they said that they do not have any in there first or second warehouse. I guess they can not or do not order direct from Goodyear.

Sams had the same goodyear tire on their website but it said "special order". So I called them and after looking into she said it was not available. She said that sams does not sell trailer tires. But, before she found out that it was not available she did price it to me so at least I had one comparison.

So, we with the local tire store who is a goodyear dealer. They were able to order the tires from Goodyear and could get them in one day. So we did it. The entire price counting tires, mounting, balancing and tax cam out to $497. I don't think that is too bad. Sams priced me $116/tire before tax. Sams said that they will not balance. We also told them that the tire would need to be manf w/in the last few months. They said they would be because they are coming from goodyear. We will check though.

Here is the tire that we ordered:
It is the ST225/75R15 D load

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/marathon.html

Here is a link on their site about weighing.
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/weighing/

Sure hope we made a good decision!

Carrie

LONE-STAR
07-15-2009, 07:34 PM
9. While nice metal valve stems are really not needed on TT tires IMHO and I have never had a valve stem failure on either my trailer or any of my vehicles in the last almost 45 years.

Just MHO and some tidbits to chew on and either spit out or digest :lmao:

Larry

Everything sounds good except for this in my case I have had rubber valve stems fail on both trailer and truck. Although in all fairness I was driving through a creek when the one on the truck went out. A floating tree branch got it.

Carrie Ellis
07-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Hello Lone-star!

What part of Texas are you from?

We live in GA because of Govt jobs but are trying to get back to TX in the next 3 or so years hopefully. Waiting for the housing market to turn around!

Anyway, I am from Arlington, TX and my husband is from San Antonio, TX.

Carrie

LONE-STAR
07-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Hello Lone-star!

What part of Texas are you from?

We live in GA because of Govt jobs but are trying to get back to TX in the next 3 or so years hopefully. Waiting for the housing market to turn around!

Anyway, I am from Arlington, TX and my husband is from San Antonio, TX.

Carrie

Houston area. I want to move to Florida and my whole family does but we like our jobs so we are here for now. Even my boss wants to move to Florida.

campingdawgs
07-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Smart idea to replace the tires. Also make sure you have a spare and the proper tools. We thought since our pop-up was fairly new and the tires looked good, we were fine. Admittedly we made lots of trips to FW with no mishaps, but last summer we had a big blowout that made DH have to really fight to keep control of the truck. And once he got it stopped, the tools he had didn't fit the lugnuts on the camper! We were just north of Valdosta on I-75 and luckily one of the contractors working on the hwy stopped to help and had the right tools.

Carrie Ellis
07-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Smart idea to replace the tires. Also make sure you have a spare and the proper tools. We thought since our pop-up was fairly new and the tires looked good, we were fine. Admittedly we made lots of trips to FW with no mishaps, but last summer we had a big blowout that made DH have to really fight to keep control of the truck. And once he got it stopped, the tools he had didn't fit the lugnuts on the camper! We were just north of Valdosta on I-75 and luckily one of the contractors working on the hwy stopped to help and had the right tools.

That make me think too campingdawgs! My husband said that is why he brings the jack and I assume tools, in case something like that happened. I had not really thought about it because I leave it up to him. I do all the planning and packing so...

We had AAA RV service for the first year that we had a camper and then I went with Goodsam.

The last year I have not renewed. When diesel was over $4/gal we kind of quit going anywhere except a local campground.

So what does Fort campers do? Do you keep a roadside service in place all the time? And do you prefer goodsams? Do some of you just go without?

I probably need to think about renewing again.

Carrie Ellis
07-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Houston area. I want to move to Florida and my whole family does but we like our jobs so we are here for now. Even my boss wants to move to Florida.

I love TX and it is in my blood. We want to be back there. I like WDW and I like Florida but I would not want to live in Florida. We are in Georgia right now which is about 6 hours from WDW. I have actually thought about may be not moving to Texas because we would be further from the Fort! Now that is sad! haha I don't know what it is exactly that lures you in so much to Fort Wilderness. But it is extemely addicting.

bigdisneydaddy
07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
There are many different design elements between the ST vs LT tires. Although I wouldnt, I can see how an LT tire would work on a trailer, an ST tire however would not work on a tow vehicle due to the sidewall and tread design, the ST would have way too much sidewall flex and the tow vehicle would be unstable.
Another issue with the ST vs LT would be weight, the LT will weigh more, this "unsprung weight" or rolling mass if you will, would have an effect on the suspension and braking of the trailer, it may or may not be noticeable but it will be a factor to consider. Like many, I would prefer to buy an ST tire that offers a wider margin of weight carrying than most of whats offered, thats why it pays to shop and see whats out there, as our OP did, You cant beat an informed consumer !

dtum
07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Having blown a tire on the way home from FW in June, we are really in the market. We have found Carlisle tires are "E" rated 15" ST for around $100 each. We are getting the nitrogen put in because DH has read that it keeps the tires cooler and it's free so what the heck. I had asked about balancing on the Titanium User Group site and they said the same thing as here..yes, balance and yes, good valve stems. Not sure where they are made any more, but originally it was PA.

Carrie Ellis
07-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Having blown a tire on the way home from FW in June, we are really in the market. We have found Carlisle tires are "E" rated 15" ST for around $100 each. We are getting the nitrogen put in because DH has read that it keeps the tires cooler and it's free so what the heck. I had asked about balancing on the Titanium User Group site and they said the same thing as here..yes, balance and yes, good valve stems. Not sure where they are made any more, but originally it was PA.

dtum,

where did you find these tires?

I looked and read about E tires and it seem like they take more "air" or something like that. It seemed more complicated but heck my brain is tired and it might not be a big deal.

I did not realize that Nitrogen runs cooler. Good to know.

Anyone have comments on road side assistance?

dtum
07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
At a place called "Terry's Tire Town." I think they are only in NE Ohio though.

dtum
07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
We actually have Good Sam, but recently joined Coach-net because we had read so many good things about them and Good Sam had a few bad reviews and I wanted to make sure we were safe on the road. When we blew the tire we were in the middle of no where land on the WV turnpike and they were there in 40 min, changed our tire and we were on our way. They actually offer quite a bit of "extra" services that Good Sam doesn't and the price is about the same. We've been happy so far.

https://www.coach-net.com/

LONE-STAR
07-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I love TX and it is in my blood. We want to be back there. I like WDW and I like Florida but I would not want to live in Florida. We are in Georgia right now which is about 6 hours from WDW. I have actually thought about may be not moving to Texas because we would be further from the Fort! Now that is sad! haha I don't know what it is exactly that lures you in so much to Fort Wilderness. But it is extemely addicting.

I know what you mean there is just something about Texas when your from here your proud of it.(as you can tell from my screen name) If I moved to Florida I would spend 2 weeks a year camping in the Texas hill country and floating the rivers.

Here are a couple of good Texas songs for you.(they sound better on cd)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ6Ar78HzC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DNSHmYaqkc

LarryJ
07-16-2009, 06:43 PM
There are many different design elements between the ST vs LT tires. Although I wouldnt, I can see how an LT tire would work on a trailer, an ST tire however would not work on a tow vehicle due to the sidewall and tread design, the ST would have way too much sidewall flex and the tow vehicle would be unstable.
Another issue with the ST vs LT would be weight, the LT will weigh more, this "unsprung weight" or rolling mass if you will, would have an effect on the suspension and braking of the trailer, it may or may not be noticeable but it will be a factor to consider. Like many, I would prefer to buy an ST tire that offers a wider margin of weight carrying than most of whats offered, thats why it pays to shop and see whats out there, as our OP did, You cant beat an informed consumer !

I think if you look closely the ST tires have a much stiffer sidewall than a LT tire in the same size and hence a higher load capacity for the same sized tire ... not more flex ... and that is one of the critical elements I mentioned in resisting the ladder or curb scruff in very tight manuevers where the tires are trying to twist on the rims because of the very close spacing of the axles. Semis have the same issue on the two back axles, but those tires are like rocks and can absorb that more than our measly TT tires. The very stiff sidewalls in an ST tire is one of the major advantages since you actually want less traction at the road surface (i.e. a tall skinny tire) with less surface traction vs. something on a vehicle where you want max traction for control. All the tires on a TT needs to do is to follow the direction it is heading in.

Larry

ftwildernessguy
07-17-2009, 07:56 AM
What's everybody got against Kenda tires? I run them on my motorscooter and have for the last 4 years. The only problem I ever had was I blew one after I hit a pothole really hard, which also bent my rim. I don't care what tire I would have had, it would have blown. I also know the guy at my bicycle shop swears by them, as do a lot of professional bicycle racers. Now granted, these aren't trailer tires, but a motorcycle/scooter tire is a fairly sophisticated combination of layers and shows some competence in engineering and manufacturing in order to produce it.

Re. trailer tires - everybody who stores their camper outdoors should be covering their tires. This will add years to the tire life. Tires should be changed by age, not wear, on a camper. These tires are made entirely different than automotive tires, as others have said. I have heard that they should be changed every 5-7 years. I do mine about every 6-7 years and have never, knock on wood, had an issue. My trailer did come with C range tires from the factory, which were okay but when I swapped them out 2 years ago I had D range put on and feel a lot better about that. I think someone mentioned putting conventional automotive tires on their trailer, which I feel would be a huge mistake. The trailer tires HAVE to flex - just watch them flex when someone is backing into a space. Firmer sidewalls would never be able to perform like this.

Carrie Ellis
07-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Lone Star....I don't see how you are going to move out to Texas. Believe me...you will miss it more than the two a year will make up for!

Listening to the you tube videos made me homesick!

I love Florida! Everything I have has mickey decor but I still have Texas blood!

Now that we have the tires for the trailer figured out we are now in the process of getting new rotors on the truck. The last time we put new brake pads on the rotors could not be turned anymore. So before we pull this year...

That $40/night camping at Fort Wilderness is getting more expensive! ha!

We are also going to order a good RV mattress. We put a regular good queen in there but just doesn't sleep well. I think it is because it does not fit the platform. So, I am going to order the 74" RV mattress. So there goes more mula!

LONE-STAR
07-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Lone Star....I don't see how you are going to move out to Texas. Believe me...you will miss it more than the two a year will make up for!

Listening to the you tube videos made me homesick!

I love Florida! Everything I have has mickey decor but I still have Texas blood!

Now that we have the tires for the trailer figured out we are now in the process of getting new rotors on the truck. The last time we put new brake pads on the rotors could not be turned anymore. So before we pull this year...

That $40/night camping at Fort Wilderness is getting more expensive! ha!

We are also going to order a good RV mattress. We put a regular good queen in there but just doesn't sleep well. I think it is because it does not fit the platform. So, I am going to order the 74" RV mattress. So there goes more mula!

We won't leave Texas but if we did it would be for Florida. Glad you liked the videos I am not a big fan of main stream country but I love Texas country also know as red dirt country when you throw in some of the boys from Oklahoma. Boy don't I know about those campsites costing a ton, there not that bad. But the trailer that turns into a toy hauler to haul the golf cart so you need a diesel to pull it all well you get the idea.:sad2:

bigdisneydaddy
07-18-2009, 08:31 AM
I think if you look closely the ST tires have a much stiffer sidewall than a LT tire in the same size and hence a higher load capacity for the same sized tire ... not more flex ... and that is one of the critical elements I mentioned in resisting the ladder or curb scruff in very tight manuevers where the tires are trying to twist on the rims because of the very close spacing of the axles. Semis have the same issue on the two back axles, but those tires are like rocks and can absorb that more than our measly TT tires. The very stiff sidewalls in an ST tire is one of the major advantages since you actually want less traction at the road surface (i.e. a tall skinny tire) with less surface traction vs. something on a vehicle where you want max traction for control. All the tires on a TT needs to do is to follow the direction it is heading in.

Larry

I stand by my original comments.

5stljayhawks
07-18-2009, 10:09 PM
While you are at it, have make sure you have your ball bearings greased. I get mine done ever couple years, normally before my haul to WDW. You may also want to contact your local ITD(indp. Tire Dealer) or trailer dealer. We have a company here in STL that deals specifically with hithces, trailers and other maintence. I find they are good guys, lower labor rates and know what's going on.

SP

castlehappy
07-19-2009, 01:54 PM

We have had a lot of trouble with Carlisle tires. We first experienced them with our first TT on our way to the fort. Had a blowout on the way and one coming home and found out that Carlisle was having some "issues" with their tires. The blowout we had caused damage to our TT and Carlisle paid for that. We bought our 5th wheel we now have in 2005 and low and behold, it had Carlisle tires on it....we thought surely the issues had been worked out. Nope...coming home from a trip to the North Georgia Mountains, we had a blowout...more damage to our fifth wheel. Called Carlisle tire and they are taking care of it! I will say that they have been wonderful to work with.

dtum
07-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for in the info. That certainly puts a new spin on things