PDA

View Full Version : Help me plan my wedding day, oh wise Disney goers!

srferson
07-13-2009, 09:01 PM
So, we are having a ceremony at Shades of Green resort at 11:00 am on a Monday in late October.

There are two pieces to this day that I need help with. (Okay, maybe more than two, but two for now.)

Our group: Including us (bride and groom) there will be sixteen or seventeen adults, a seven year old, a three year old, and a five month old.

Lunch after the ceremony: We want to have lunch with the whole group after the ceremony. I'd like a nice, interesting place to go, but somewhere where we can definitely all be together. This is the one meal where splitting us up is not an option. (Doesn't mean it has to be one table. But tables right next to each other or even better a private or semi-private area for our group.)

Later that night we'd like to have the group together again for a wedding cake and a good view of something special (like Wishes fireworks).

Suggestions??

Lynne G
07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
I'd try Kona at the Poly for Lunch and Citros, Narcoossees, or the Wave for dinner. All three have beach access and the first two you can see the fireworks from the restaurant.
I've been to SOG last year. While the rate is great, the location is great, the food was not.

The Poly is just a short walk from the SOG or sometimes you can get the golf cart to take you to the road to cross over to the Poly. From the Poly, you can ride the monorail to the other restaurants.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! :bride:

Pumbaa_
07-13-2009, 09:53 PM
a little offbeat, but how about dinner at HDDR? Not tradtional, but would be fun!

Another thought is the CG wine room for dinner. Nice location and semi-private

for lunch, how about captains grill at the YC? It is often underused and can easily accomodate your group

srferson
07-13-2009, 10:14 PM
What's HDDR?

And just to clarify, we are planning lunch for the entire group and then a late night party kinda thing for the wedding cake and fireworks or something. Not planning to do dinner as a whole group. At least not something fancy.

I've heard about the California Grill wine room. Is that something you can do for lunch as opposed to dinner? And does anyone know what the view is like from the wine room? Also, does anyone know if we can specifically arrange to have the wine room? I would not be too fond of leaving it up to chance and waiting to ask when we show up for the reservation.

srferson
07-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Shoot. Looks like California Grill is just for dinner, not lunch.

Lynn5700
07-13-2009, 10:27 PM
I would go to...

Kona- at the Poly
Ohana- at the Poly, I think it would be a lot of fun
The Wave!-OMG YUMMY! I think it would be a very nice place to have a wedding luncheon

Narcoossees- very nice
Citricos- also nice

butiflfeet
07-13-2009, 11:23 PM
For lunch I would suggest Kona Cafe in the Poly, or the Grand Floridian Cafe.

And for dinner, I'd go with either California Grill or Narcoossees. Both have great food and great views for Wishes :cloud9:

daisygirl902
07-14-2009, 08:08 AM
What's HDDR?

And just to clarify, we are planning lunch for the entire group and then a late night party kinda thing for the wedding cake and fireworks or something. Not planning to do dinner as a whole group. At least not something fancy.

I've heard about the California Grill wine room. Is that something you can do for lunch as opposed to dinner? And does anyone know what the view is like from the wine room? Also, does anyone know if we can specifically arrange to have the wine room? I would not be too fond of leaving it up to chance and waiting to ask when we show up for the reservation.

HDDR is Hoop-De-Doo-Revue - my DF and I are having our reception dinner there - it's a funny, interactive, western themed Diner Theatre, and is sure to be a great time for adults or kids! The only thing is the shows do not run at lunch time, they start at 5 PM...I ran through so many ideas for a creative reception, but HDDR stuck out as a resonable and fun option for the whole family!

BTW - the food is fantastic too, good ol' American fare - fried chicken and ribs, corn bread, beans, topped off with Strawberry Shortcake for dessert - YUM!

connie1042
07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
I guess I would cal Disney and ask them what yur options are.They would have a better Idea as what you could do. I have seen wedding parties at Epcot being seated together for desert. It was on an upper platform, but I don't know where it was. I have a feeling the whole wedding was on property. With that many people it is a grand gathering, so call and get some ideas.

Hopefully
07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
There are several locations in World Showcase at Epcot where they do private dessert parties for Illuminations each night. I do not know the details and I do not know if there is a minimum number of guests to qualify. I would call Disney and start the planning.
Did you know there is a specific wedding board here on the DIS? You may get more ideas there.
Congratulations and have a great trip

Cheshire Figment
07-14-2009, 10:41 AM
I would go with The Wave at the Contemporary. It is semi-secluded and normally at lunch they do not have too much business so they will be able to seat your group together. And I have eaten there several times, the food is quite good.

*NikkiBell*
07-14-2009, 11:03 AM
I'd suggest Narcoossee's for that night's dinner. It is a formal (but not stuffy) restaurant that serves excellent food. It is also on the water and they pipe in Wishes. They also have the electrical water pageant that goes by the restaurant each night.

I second The Wave for lunch. Excellent choice of a restaurant!

Iceman10
07-14-2009, 11:11 AM
How many people does the largest boat hold for the Wishes Cruise? I am thinking is less than 16 but am unsure. If it could hold you all that would be a great way to end the day!

vicki_c
07-14-2009, 12:09 PM
The fireworks pontoons hold 10 people maximum, I believe. Definitely not 16.