PDA

View Full Version : I KNEW IT!!!! Delta does it to me too!

pooch
07-12-2009, 11:17 AM
With great trepidation I booked a great rate ($69) on a Delta flight from BDL to MCO - time was perfect - got us to WDW mid-morning. Checked obssessively & today got the dreaded change.

My 6:50 is now 8:30. I know its not a huge change, and I checked, the earlier flight is gone, but this is such a short trip for us. Now we'll be landing at the time I had hoped to be checking in at Pop. And, of course I've received no e-mail notice of the change even though I signed up for them.

Ok, everybody make sympathetic noises for me!!!!!:sad1::sad1::sad1:

TiggerD
07-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I hear ya. We are booked to fly from bdl to MCO and have had out flight changed twice. I finally get it straightened out as we like to fly first flight out non stop and a non stop back to BDl on the return also. Well this morning, I received an e-mail from Delta and the change was to the flight # going down but instead of leaving at 10:30 on our return we are now flying out at noon. We are going in September from the 10th-19th and also staying at POP. When are you going and maybe you can change it. I checked our morning flight to MCO on the 10th and the seats are not full yet. Good Luck

jaccceee
07-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I can't pull up my itinerary. But Delta is still selling the 6:50 am & 5:30pm flights. I'm going Sept. 18-21. Staying at POP too.

Charleyann
07-12-2009, 11:59 AM
They reel you in with great prices and great flight times, including nonstop. As soon as you turn your back. You are on connecting flights, sometimes multiply stops with hours of waiting to connect to another flight!

Good Luck!

Charleyann

DebbieB
07-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Are you going on a Saturday? It looks like 8:30am is the only non-stop of the day. Look at it this way - the difference is only 1 1/2 hours and at least it's still non-stop! I've been changed on several airlines from non-stops to connections.

Shelly F - Ohio
07-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Call them and explain that you would like an earlier flight. I had the same thing happen last fall. THey cancelled my flight put me on a flight that would not work for us so I called and got an earlier flight.

kmjmom
07-12-2009, 01:35 PM
I booked Delta on our return flight to BDL from MCO on July 3rd. The flight time got changed once, but was only a ten minute difference, then they changed it to Northwest, then they changed the flight number 2 more times. It was a little iffy at the RAC counter though as they said due to so many changes they might not be able to check us in as they had experienced difficulties with an earlier passenger. Eventually it worked out quite well for us as we got upgraded to first class prior to boarding!! Now that was a pleasure!!:cool1:

pooch
07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Call them and explain that you would like an earlier flight. I had the same thing happen last fall. THey cancelled my flight put me on a flight that would not work for us so I called and got an earlier flight.

that's the first thing I checked. The 8:30AM is now the first flight out on Sat 9/26. Of course the 6:50 is there for every other day!!!!

Ok, breathe...in/out....:scared1:

francie57
07-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Just checked my itinerary and so far no change. We are on the 6:50 on Aug. 13 and the 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 20. We had to call at one point though since they went from Delta flights to NWA flights. They then changed our return to a stop in Detroit. I called and got back on the Delta non-stop at 5:30. We are on NWA on the way to MCO and Delta on the way back. We have been flying Delta for years and have never had any trouble until they merged with NWA. I just keep checking each day. I do know that our local paper said that in the fall flights would be cut back and there would be significant changes. Guess these are it.

jaccceee
07-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Sept 22 MCO-BDL shows only 1 nonstop at noon.

KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
07-12-2009, 03:11 PM
It's not like DL dropped that flight specifically to screw you. Flight changes are made constantly and the further ahead you book, the more likely it is that changes are going to happen....numerous changes. Some are simply a change to the flight number, some departure and arrival times are tweaked, and sometimes entire flights are deleted or added. That's just the way the airline business works. I am aware that DL/NW are making a lot of schedule changes beginning the day after Labor Day as they move into that dead travel period and continue to consolidate as part of the merger.

BobK/Orlando

SLP_PoohBear
07-12-2009, 04:06 PM
I had the same thing happen to me only going home my flight out of ATL was moved up 3 hours and did not have a flight going from MCO to ATL at all (posted a few threads back).

Was able to get everything resolved though. Just call them and say this is not what you originally booked and it does not work for you, could they please fix it. The lady I spoke to was very nice and helpful and able to get everything worked out. Good luck!

snarlingcoyote
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I hate to say it, but. . .well. . .that's typical for Delta.

Tozzie
07-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I had the same thing happen to me only going home my flight out of ATL was moved up 3 hours and did not have a flight going from MCO to ATL at all (posted a few threads back).

Was able to get everything resolved though. Just call them and say this is not what you originally booked and it does not work for you, could they please fix it. The lady I spoke to was very nice and helpful and able to get everything worked out. Good luck!

The flight she was moved to is the earlies flight on her day of travel unless she wants to take a later flight then they can't change it.

Letsbgoofy
07-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Did you call Delta to make sure your flight is gone? If it's sold out, it doesn't show any longer. I have had had that happen to me several times with Delta and panicked for no reason.

frannn
07-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I was very very tempted to book Delta for our Sept flights, based on the prices & times. DH asked me not to, and was willing to pay a good bit more for Jetblue. I finally booked on Jetblue for more $, but there are only a few more people on the flights. I fear that we are going to be bumped to an earlier return time as well. Its probably not just Delta making all these changes, but it does seem like its mostly Delta.

pooch
07-12-2009, 07:10 PM
It's not like DL dropped that flight specifically to screw you. Flight changes are made constantly and the further ahead you book, the more likely it is that changes are going to happen....numerous changes. Some are simply a change to the flight number, some departure and arrival times are tweaked, and sometimes entire flights are deleted or added. That's just the way the airline business works. I am aware that DL/NW are making a lot of schedule changes beginning the day after Labor Day as they move into that dead travel period and continue to consolidate as part of the merger.

BobK/Orlando

saying anything about Delta screwing me?!?! Just asked for a little show of sympathy and, gotta tell ya Bob, you don't sound particularly sympathetic!!! I know Delta does this and I was taking a chance for low fares. Just venting a little, I think you can cut me some slack. :snooty::snooty:

meriface11
07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
there is a 725 flight from LGA-- Delta may let you change airports since they changed the flight by more than 90 minutes.

goofy4tink
07-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Delta is not alone in the whole changing flights issue anymore. Even Jetblue is doing it with remarkable regularity now.
I did book Delta for my return home from WDW next month. I booked the later of the two non-stop flights from Boston to MCO...at 6:45. It has since changed to 7:00. I knew it would change...just wasn't sure by how much. This time it changed in my favor....doesn't happen often.
I make a habit of checking my flights every month when I book more than 2 months beforehand. Then, when I get to the 90 day mark, I start checking on them once a week. When I get to 3 weeks before departure, it's a daily check....just to stay on top of the situation.
The only airline that I don't routinely check on is SW...they have never changed a booked flight on me.

pilferk
07-13-2009, 08:51 AM
With great trepidation I booked a great rate ($69) on a Delta flight from BDL to MCO - time was perfect - got us to WDW mid-morning. Checked obssessively & today got the dreaded change.

My 6:50 is now 8:30. I know its not a huge change, and I checked, the earlier flight is gone, but this is such a short trip for us. Now we'll be landing at the time I had hoped to be checking in at Pop. And, of course I've received no e-mail notice of the change even though I signed up for them.

Ok, everybody make sympathetic noises for me!!!!!:sad1::sad1::sad1:

That stinks! I know you waffled back and forth, and we talked about this in another thread.

So far they haven't changed our itinerary. Still out at 6:50 on the 16th. I wonder why they'd change the Saturday flight only. That's messed up. I'd definitely call them to see if you can get more info.

pooch
07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
That stinks! I know you waffled back and forth, and we talked about this in another thread.

So far they haven't changed our itinerary. Still out at 6:50 on the 16th. I wonder why they'd change the Saturday flight only. That's messed up. I'd definitely call them to see if you can get more info.

They've changed the early morning flight out of BDL from 6:50 to 8:30 every Saturday on Sept, at least on the 12th, 19th & 26th. I e-mailed them with questions & I'll let you know what they say. I know its only an hr & 40 min and at least its still non-stop but I'm still bummed!! Of course DD is happy for the extra sleep that morning!! Perspective - perspective - perspective;)

pilferk
07-13-2009, 11:50 AM
They've changed the early morning flight out of BDL from 6:50 to 8:30 every Saturday on Sept, at least on the 12th, 19th & 26th. I e-mailed them with questions & I'll let you know what they say. I know its only an hr & 40 min and at least its still non-stop but I'm still bummed!! Of course DD is happy for the extra sleep that morning!! Perspective - perspective - perspective;)

The pilots want to sleep in??

Weird.

I'd suspect it was something to do with one of the later evening flights into BDL on Friday's....meaning maybe the plane isn't on the ground and waiting like it is the other 6 days a week...but honestly, what differences could there possibly be in that ONE 24 hour period??

As for the hour and 40 minute delay...it's the difference between finding lunch IN a park, and not, IMHO. Arriving at 9:40, if everything works out in your favor, you might actually be standing in a park by noon-ish. That's an extra hour and 40 minutes with Mickey, for crimey's sake.

pooch
07-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Weird.

I'd suspect it was something to do with one of the later evening flights into BDL on Friday's....meaning maybe the plane isn't on the ground and waiting like it is the other 6 days a week...but honestly, what differences could there possibly be in that ONE 24 hour period??

As for the hour and 40 minute delay...it's the difference between finding lunch IN a park, and not, IMHO. Arriving at 9:40, if everything works out in your favor, you might actually be standing in a park by noon-ish. That's an extra hour and 40 minutes with Mickey, for crimey's sake.

I had Sat planned for Epcot arrival by 1PM. SSE then the Land for Soarin' FPs & a check on the Behind the Seeds tour. Then lunch at F & WF, back to the Land for FP & either the tour or TT. Monorail to Contemp for 6:50 TS @ the Wave & then walk to MK for a couple of hrs. Now I think F & WF will have to wait. We'll probably just grab something quick at the Pop food court & try to get the Future World stuff in before 6PM. Hoping to be @ Epcot by 2:30-3-ish now.

DebbieB
07-13-2009, 01:36 PM
In general, there are less flights available on weekends. Not too many business people are going to be taking a Saturday morning flight out.

kaytieeldr
07-13-2009, 01:53 PM

Weird.I'm guessing that reference was made in a PM, or it's something the quoted poster subsequently edited out of the post?

Some possible explanations for the change: departure slots at/by the airport; flight crew scheduling (not that they want to sleep in, but that the crew can (a) only fly a certain number of hours per day or (b) may be coming from another flight or (c) a combination/variation); the plane being used for the 6:50 flight leaves its origination later than on other days, i.e. plane scheduling/routing.

pilferk
07-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm guessing that reference was made in a PM, or it's something the quoted poster subsequently edited out of the post?

Some possible explanations for the change: departure slots at/by the airport; flight crew scheduling (not that they want to sleep in, but that the crew can (a) only fly a certain number of hours per day or (b) may be coming from another flight or (c) a combination/variation); the plane being used for the 6:50 flight leaves its origination later than on other days, i.e. plane scheduling/routing.

Meaning...

it was meant as a joke. That "The pilots want to sleep in" would be Delta's response to pooch's email to them wondering why the flight time changes.

And then, that it was weird that they've changed ONLY the flight time for Saturday, and not the other 6 mornings of the week (at least not yet).

pooch
07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Meaning...

it was meant as a joke. That "The pilots want to sleep in" would be Delta's response to pooch's email to them wondering why the flight time changes.

And then, that it was weird that they've changed ONLY the flight time for Saturday, and not the other 6 mornings of the week (at least not yet).

who's humor seems to be missed by many on these boards. Must be a Connecticut thing!!!!! :confused3

snarlingcoyote
07-14-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't know, and I'd be curious to hear from someone who works for Delta, but I suspect they don't have a large inventory of backup planes.

For example: when Continental has a plane with a mechanical problem, it's usually a delay of an hour or two or three. You get another plane, eventually, and you go. When Delta has a plane with a mechanical problem, your flight is cancelled and you have to find a seat on another flight or wait a day or two for the flight.

The constant juggling of flights seems to indicate that the timetables aren't stable and that Delta is juggling to fly only when planes are completely full and to cover routes with fewer planes. :confused3

IDK, it just seems. . .well.

Hmm. I think I'll read their SEC filings tomorrow. I'm curious how they're doing. Of course, since they did the merger with Northworst, that'll muddy the waters a bit. Still.

Uncleromulus
07-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Happens all the time--we're simply hostages to the Airlines. I'm booked on Airtran for October--and a little bird is telling me that in short order, our flights will be changed as well.

pilferk
07-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Ours looks to have changed, too, now...though I can't confirm because Delta's site is unavailable to get detail on itineraries.

However, when I look...I see a "new" Nonstop out of Delta at 8:30 and new flight numbers for both the outbound and return.

When I check by skymiles, I see that we're on the same flight NUMBER, with the same departure time...but the arrival time is now listed as 11:17.

GRRRRRRRRR.

Edit: Confirmed, FYI. Our flights have changed to 8:30AM out and 5:20PM back. Not optimum, but we can deal. Changes our lunch plans on day of arrival (probably grab a quick bite at the airport to eat on the bus ride to AKL, rather than eating at Raglan Road)..but what can you do.

MrsToad
07-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Ours looks to have changed, too, now...though I can't confirm because Delta's site is unavailable to get detail on itineraries.

However, when I look...I see a "new" Nonstop out of Delta at 8:30 and new flight numbers for both the outbound and return.

When I check by skymiles, I see that we're on the same flight NUMBER, with the same departure time...but the arrival time is now listed as 11:17.

GRRRRRRRRR.

Edit: Confirmed, FYI. Our flights have changed to 8:30AM out and 5:20PM back. Not optimum, but we can deal. Changes our lunch plans on day of arrival (probably grab a quick bite at the airport to eat on the bus ride to AKL, rather than eating at Raglan Road)..but what can you do.

I was just able to log in and check our itinerary for October; our 6:50 flight is still showing. We stay at BCV and book lunch at Epcot on check-in day so I'm now not sure what ressie time to choose when my window opens shortly...I wonder if the October flights are changing and when those changes will show up online.

whittins
07-14-2009, 03:42 PM
I called and complained 2 years ago to Delta -- they explained that because we booked our flights early, they later have to change it when some governing agency tells them how many flights can go out daily during that time period....
BTW, the reason I had to call and complain was because my brother-in-law dropped us off at the airport, waved (a tearful) goodbye, and we then walked in and found out our flight back had been canceled...."lets see when we can get you on another flight..."

pooch
07-14-2009, 04:45 PM

GRRRRRRRRR.

I was just able to log in and check our itinerary for October; our 6:50 flight is still showing. We stay at BCV and book lunch at Epcot on check-in day so I'm now not sure what ressie time to choose when my window opens shortly...I wonder if the October flights are changing and when those changes will show up online.

perhaps the 6:50am from BDL that has been the standard will now be an 8:30. I do like the idea of having lunch on the bus to save time once we get to WDW, have to run that one by DD. But, as you said, its not a huge change, got a terrific price & its still a nonstop to WDW!!! I did get a very standard "sorry but these things happen" e-mail & I called & confirmed that there isn't an earlier nonstop, made sure we still had the same seats. I guess I'm good, at least until the next change!! Oh and she said I should have received notification by phone(?) but there was no indication on my ressie that this had happened, couldn't tell me why they didn't just send an e-mail. Promised I'd get notified if it happened again (please God, NOOOO).:scared1:

disneyeveryyear
07-17-2009, 11:29 AM
We always took the early AM (6:00 ish) N/S from STL to MCO that AA offered. They have now discontinued the early - early N/S and have been pushing back the time for their AM N/S. I have taken Flight #1618 at 8:00 a.m., 8:45 a.m. and it is now scheduled for 9:00 a.m. on 1/1/10.

We always liked to be up and into MCO early, but even the 9:00 a.m. N/S gets me in earlier than the 6:05 AM with connections.

Like the others said, we all just have to grin and bear it.

OP - you have my sympathy. ;)

francie57
07-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I have been checking our itineraries every day and thankfully after one change (that we thankfully got changed back) our non-stops are still at the original times (6:50 to MCO and 5:30 return). Hopefully there will be no changes now since we are just over 3 weeks out.

pooch
07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I have been checking our itineraries every day and thankfully after one change (that we thankfully got changed back) our non-stops are still at the original times (6:50 to MCO and 5:30 return). Hopefully there will be no changes now since we are just over 3 weeks out.

Like I'm such a big expert!!! But it looks like the changes are happening after Labor Day. If you leave earlier than that, my guess is you're ok. Have a safe trip!!!

kaytieeldr
07-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Changes our lunch plans on day of arrival (probably grab a quick bite at the airport to eat on the bus ride to AKLI do like the idea of having lunch on the bus to save time once Please - no lunch on the bus!!!!!! No food on the bus. If you need to eat between the plane and DME, please stop somewhere in the terminal and eat.

deltachi8
07-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Please - no lunch on the bus!!!!!! No food on the bus. If you need to eat between the plane and DME, please stop somewhere in the terminal and eat.

agreed.

DebbieB
07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
They just changed mine again - leaving a 1/2 hour later, arriving 1 hour later (December 5). Actually it might be good because we originally had only a 40 minute connection in ATL, now it's 1 hour, 7 min. Plus our PIT-ATL flight was a CRJ, now it's a MD-88, which I'm glad about. I've never used Delta for vacation travel, I can see how this is maddening. I've used them for business travel but rarely booked more than a month out.

jacos11
07-18-2009, 08:10 PM
NWA cancelled our return flight last week and automatically put us on a new flight that connects in Detroit 1 hr after the connecting flight has left. Nice.
I got on the phone asap and got everything straightened out. We now leave 2 hrs later and get home 2 hrs later so everything worked out so far. I'm not happy about a 35 minute connection at CVG, but they said it's still a legal connection.

orourkco
07-18-2009, 08:51 PM
I am feeling all of your pain. I booked my Delta flights in February (Bradley to MCO).
They were first moved to a Northwest flight (same times- bigger plane).
Then, they were changed to connecting flights- both ways- through Detroit- three hour layovers!!!
That is when I called (I kept checking the delta site- I never received new itineraries or emails about ANY of these changes).
I was put back on Delta flights 6:50am and back at 8:30pm. Two days after speaking with delta, I received paper tickets in the mail... and i keep checking the site- the plane has like five seats available... so I'm thinking that now my flights are final.
One thing to consider, I had originally booked Magical Express, and I had to call them with the new flight numbers DO NOT FORGET TO DO THAT!
I leave on Sunday August 23- and return the 28th!

francie57
07-18-2009, 09:56 PM
We had the same thing happen. When I booked my flights in Feb. for our Aug. 13-20 trip we had the 6:50 to MCO and the 5:30 return - both on Delta. Then the flights were changed to NWA and eventually the return was changed to a stop in Detroit. I called and had the Delta site on the computer while on the phone and was put back on the Delta 5:30 non-stop from MCO to BDL. We were never notified about the change. Thankfully I was checking my itinerary and saw the change. I have been checking every day now and so far no changes. Hopefully we are close enough that we are now finalized. Not many seats left on the planes either way so that may help.

pooch
07-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Please - no lunch on the bus!!!!!! No food on the bus. If you need to eat between the plane and DME, please stop somewhere in the terminal and eat.

hadn't really thought that one thru!!! Probably not allowed and for good reason - if nothing else the SMELL & not everyone is as clean and neat as me!!! ;);)

pilferk
07-20-2009, 10:04 AM

They don't allow it? Or you'd just prefer we not do it?

pilferk
07-20-2009, 10:05 AM
One thing to consider, I had originally booked Magical Express, and I had to call them with the new flight numbers DO NOT FORGET TO DO THAT!
I leave on Sunday August 23- and return the 28th!

Yup, we just did that this past weekend. :)

Mouseaholic!!!
07-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Are you going on a Saturday? It looks like 8:30am is the only non-stop of the day. Look at it this way - the difference is only 1 1/2 hours and at least it's still non-stop! I've been changed on several airlines from non-stops to connections.

If you are still on a non-stop....that's not as bad as it could be. Imagine being on a connection....gosh....if you made it, what about your luggage.

Whenever I fly on D--DDDD-DD-D-DDD-DDelta, my luggage always goes on vacation someplace else! At least they have barcodes so I know my luggage is having a ball in New England while I'm at WDW.

Truly, default to non-stop whenever possible.