PDA

View Full Version : Live from BWV

Tiger926
07-11-2009, 11:03 PM
We checked in today after a very sad week as my grandpa unexpectedly passed away on Tuesday and my aunt (she is a cancer patient) is in hospital for pneumonia. We did have a great drive here - our best drive yet, but today has been a bit problematic, as far as first days go:

Resort - BWV is a nice resort - checked into our 1 bed, standard view, very quickly, but not one Welcome Home from anyone. This was sad as we love to hear this. CM at desk was not that friendly and forgot a few things, but no big deal. Our room was ready by 1:00, which was fab news as the baby wasn't feeling that great. This was welcome news. Room is good - we are on 3rd floor. Room was very clean, but is in need of the rehab that they are doing - shower is yucky. Room has a cool layout, but not baby friendly at all. Balcony has a ledge, so this is a disaster, plugs everywhere and no locks on doors. Kids seem to enjoy the room, so we are looking forward to eating breakfast on the balcony, while watching the ducks tomorrow morn. Rooms are large too, with lots of space for luggage, clothes, etc. Resort is large, and there are not enough elevators at all, so this is a pain in the backside that's for sure. Saw a wedding, and that was great, as well as fireworks from resort. DD loved the Luna Park Pool too! We also had Internet issues, and they fixed them immediately, as well as a drape issue as reported from previous guest, and a visit from a supervisor to ask us how our room was. Very good attention to detail on their part, with stellar customer service!

ADRs - Had issues with online ADRs that I made and the Concierge desk can't print up all ADRs due to new system. Had to do each individually and this took up valuable vacation time. There are still issues, but I'll sort them out tomorrow.

Package delivery - Despite special notes to wait on package, they delivered it anyway. DH was able to intercept, and it worked out so we could hide from the kids (surprises for their baskets). Resort is charging service fee for packages, so since we have 3, it's $15.00, that can be charged to our room card. I know this has already been discussed here, but just wanted to mention that it is in force here at this resort.

We are exhausted and going to bed, but thought I'd post as we've always wanted to stay here, and so far, so good. The rooms are cute, and we like the layout with the kitchen counters and chairs to eat at. Kids really like that! Rooms need DVD players though - seeing a VCR is very weird - LOL! Kind of dates the rooms, if you ask me. The jacuzzi tub also came in very handy to bathe the kids. Decor is ok, but dated as well. Despite so many neutral and light colours, the rooms are very clean and tidy.

We are looking forward to our week here - we just had a yucky rain/thunderstorm, so we couldn't hang on the Boardwalk tonight, so we'll try tomorrow night. Didn't really take photos, as kids were a bit grumpy, and we are absolutely exhausted, so I'll hopefully have time to post some photos.

Tiger :)

Laurabearz
07-11-2009, 11:11 PM
So sorry to hear about your family passing and being ill.

Glad to hear your settling in for a nice stay. We love the whole Boardwalk area, and can't wait to be there next month!

DVC Mike
07-12-2009, 07:46 AM
I hope you have a good vacation!

Tiger926
07-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks! We just woke up for our 1st morning at BWV and it's a glorious morning! The kids are opening their surprise baskets from Tinkerbelle and Mickey Mouse - they are delighted!

We are taking it easy as it was a bit of a rough start yesterday - we're here for 2 weeks, so we aren't rushing at all.

Be back later for more updates, Tiger :)

abk96
07-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I love the BWV. I'm glad you are liking it there too. The basket idea sounds fun. The kids must be excited.

Enjoy the rest of your stay and I look forward to reading more.

ont/ohana
07-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Have a great trip, looking forward to hearing more about BWV, we are staying there soon for the first time.

TAKitty
07-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Enjoy your trip. We are also at BWV, but we are leaving tomorrow.

Mahusky
07-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Enjoy your trip .... we will be down there in 20 days!:thumbsup2

DebbieB
07-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the report and sorry about your Grandpa.

Are you sure it's not a combo DVD/VCR? My last few trips at BWV had a combo unit in a 1 bedroom.

mrsswat
07-12-2009, 09:12 AM
so sorry for your sad news. You just take it slow this vacation and enjoy those babies of yours even more! BW is a great place to do that! Love the basket idea, their faces most have been priceless when they saw who they were from. Driving from Canada?!?!?! You are brave. Can I ask how long you allow for that?

dizney4us
07-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, my Nanny is not doing very well right now and it is so upsetting. I hope you have a wonderful time at BWV's, that is a favorite of ours.:goodvibes

CarolMN
07-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Sorry for your loss and sending a prayer that your aunt recovers from the pneumonia and cancer soon.

We love the 1 bedroom BWV SV rooms. I am looking forward to the rehab, too. But are you sure you don't have a combo DVC/VCR player? That's what we have always had there.

Enjoy the trip!

kimpossible
07-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Enjoy your trip. We love the standardview rooms. Hope you have a nice time there.

oakmanner
07-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Enjoy your time at BWV.

GGOOFY1
07-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Sorry for your loss. :grouphug:
Looking forward to your updates. BWV is so spread out, it sometimes feels like you can get lost in the hallways!!:scared1:

Disneypirate85
07-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Sorry bout your loss:hug:
We just returned from BWV and had a great time as i'm sure you will too. Have a GREAT trip...Shawnpirate:

ParrotBill
07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry for your loss, and thanks for posting, some good observations there.

With small children, we always made a room request for "first floor small children" and it was always granted... and we brought our own electric plug covers.

Would love to hear reports of where you see rennovations, especially outside at the quiet pool - what is scaffolding covering? and if you run into renovation crews for rooms facing the quiet pool, especially first floor.

As you observed it's long overdue and it's our home resort. I haven't owned a VCR tape for 10 years now and I really feel DVC should have replaced all VCRs before now.

Enjoy your stay!

Update: Nevermind about scaffolding outside at quiet pool - another thread reported yesterday it was removed, yay!

Tiger926
07-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks all for the kind words regarding my Grandpa and my aunt. My aunt is recovering slowly, but being a cancer patient, MS and serious asthma (among other health issues) at only 45 years of age, she's a sensitive soul. Thanks for the prayers.

Re: Vcrs - I was incorrect. I did double check again later on last night, and you are right, they are combo units. Sorry!

Re: Renovations - Haven't seen any scaffolding as we are still making our way around this huge resort. We are in the old rooms, so it would be nice to see what the new rooms look like once they are complete - I saw photos that were posted on here the other day, but in person would be cool!

Re: Resort - It is huge! We have a super long walk to our room, but it has a stellar view of the front fountain and fireworks, so we are all good! Kids are used to it by now - last year our room at Yacht Club was so extremely far too. The rooms themselves are very adult oriented - a very dangerous ledge on the balcony, some of the plugs are loose (we forgot our plug covers and may go to pick some up), shutter thing between bedroom and bathroom is very dangerous, locks are very easy to unlock onto balcony and counter ledge in family room/kitchen is a climbing hazard. There are a few other things, but we are surviving. We notice that these rooms seemed to really aimed to adults, so this is something for us to keep in mind for next time. We always ask for an upper floor with babies, but perhaps I will look into the above mentioned request. Thanks.

Basically, we are finding some very friendly and efficient CMs. Like the resort a lot, DD loves Luna Park Pool too. We haven't eaten here as we have eaten at Epcot, although we were enjoying a nice lunch at EPSN Club yesterday, but baby wasn't feeling well, so we took it to go. Yummy! We received our first Welcome today at Epcot - we have been wearing DVC hats, so not sure what is up? This made our day today and the CM seemed happy to Welcome us home!

We had breakfast while watching the ducks, and enjoyed a splendid morning at Epcot - visited The Land, ate at Sunshine Seasons (yummy!), met Alice and Mary Poppins, watched the dancing fountains, shopped at Mouse Gear and made crafts at Kidcot stops. Tonight it's dinner with the Princesses at Akershus, fireworks and some swimming.

I haven't taken many resort photos yet, but I will hopefully take some soon.:thumbsup2

MinnieLee
07-12-2009, 04:25 PM
So sorry to read about everthing you are going through. Hoefully your two weeks there with your family will be of some help, support and comfort to you.

We were are BWV in May and the renovations would start around 7:30 a.m. Our room was on the green and they were replacing the balcony doors so it was a but noisy but as least it gave us an early start to the parks.

One thing I was curious about was the $5 charge for resort delivery. When did that start? I never paid to have packages delivered back? ("Resort is charging service fee for packages, so since we have 3, it's $15.00, that can be charged to our room card. I know this has already been discussed here, but just wanted to mention that it is in force here at this resort.").

Have a great trip! Enjoy.

GeorgiaTiggerGirl
07-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Sorry about your loss. Hope you have a fun vacation anyway!

LoveTheWDWMagic
07-13-2009, 09:35 AM
So sorry about your loss. Make sure you walk around the boardwalk at night to enjoy the entertainers. Your kids might be "pulled" to become assistants to them. My kids were when they were younger. Have a great time at Disney.

FoxberryJam
07-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I'll be there end of August in a 1BR BW view, first visit to BWV. Can you tell me a little more about this dangerous ledge?

ParrotBill
07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Foxberry, we've been frequent visitors to BWV and I am not sure what this ledge is, hopefully the OP will describe it more.

The balcony is same as all the others as far as I remember, and I would not leave any small child unattended.

Or do like we did while our daughter was under age 7 and make a request with "first floor, small child".

Wave at us at the quiet pool, we requested a room first floor facing the quiet pool and will be there August 20 through Sept. 4! Two adults and one well behaved 9 year old girl. :thumbsup2

kimpossible
07-13-2009, 09:21 PM
We've been bring my 2 (very active) DS's to the BWV since the youngest was 4 mths old. The only problem we have ever had is when he was between a year and 2 years old, he used to like to try to throw his pacifier over the balcony at unsupecting passer's by. We have been fine, but I do not let the youngest out there alone.

Tiger926
07-13-2009, 10:56 PM
RE: Balcony - We don't leave small children unattended either, but there is a ledge on the actually balcony. It's more like a shelf, so it's climbable. As we did a walk around today, we noticed two types of balconies - those with spindles, and ours which has a wall, ledge and then spindles on top. I know it's hard to explain, and it's pitch dark now, so I can't take photos. It is very dangerous - it is also very dirty with birdie droppings, water drips, etc. I'm not sure what the request of "First floor, small child" is for? First floors don't have any type of balconies at all, so we don't feel they are safe as the kids can run wild. I'm not following this particular request - is it just for location purposes so kids aren't near pools, lakes, etc.

RE: Package service fee - We haven't actually seen it on our room charge yet, but it was mentioned to us when they called for delivery. I haven't checked room charge yet, so not sure? I'll post more about it, but I was told it's $5.00 per package.

I still haven't been able to take many resort photos, as we've been busy. We had a splendid day today at MK: kids got their haircuts at Harmony Barber Shop, saw Celebration parade, met Snow White's Prince (he is rare), saw Illuminations, rode Spaceship Earth and had a fabulously scrumptious meal at Kona Cafe.

Time to go to bed as we are very tired, Tiger :)

Laurabearz
07-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Lovin your report! :thumbsup2

LisaRN97
07-14-2009, 08:13 AM
I am so sorry to see of your Grandfathers passing and the illness of your Aunt. I hope that these two weeks in the land of Magic will bring some much deserved smiles to your faces. Enjoy your vacation!!

n2mm
07-14-2009, 09:28 AM
One thing I was curious about was the $5 charge for resort delivery. When did that start? I never paid to have packages delivered back? ("Resort is charging service fee for packages, so since we have 3, it's $15.00, that can be charged to our room card. I know this has already been discussed here, but just wanted to mention that it is in force here at this resort.").

Have a great trip! Enjoy.

I think the poster had packages mail from home to the resort. This is what I've read also. The resort now charges to accept packages on the behalf of the guest. (Like when guest have water shipping to the resort upon their arrival.) (Don't confuse this with the packages that you purchase while there on vacation and are delivered to the resort so you don't have to carry them around.)

DebbieB
07-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Do you mean like the balconies in the orange area?

http://www.allears.net/acc/bwpool0812.jpg

I think any balcony could be climbed by a child, especially if they pullup a chair.

Tiger926
07-14-2009, 03:37 PM
RE: Package delivery - Sorry, I thought I mentioned they were packages ordered from DisneyShopping.com. I still haven't confirmed as I haven't gotten a print out yet, as we've hardly purchased anything, so no need to do so. As soon as I know for sure about the charge, I'll post back.

RE: Balcony - I have attached a photo, so hopefully this better explains what I am talking about. Obviously, I am not talking about chairs or tables - we remove them from our balconies and put them inside the living area as soon as we check-in. As you will see, a child can climb up this ledge without any assistance. Hopefully, this better explains what I am talking about.

We had a fun day today, but we are tired, so we are back for our midday break. We had another great lunch at Sunshine Seasons, rode Nemo ride, visited the fish and saw one of the large sea turtles up close, met Alice again, crafts at Kidcot stations and saw the dancing fountains. The Epcot Character Spot is out of control - we have been by it over the past 3.5 days at all different times, and it's insanely busy! We usually walk in and wait maybe 10 mins., so my kids are pretty upset that we haven't seen Mickey yet. We didn't book any meals at Chef Mickey's either as we think it stinks, so we are hoping to see Mickey tomorrow at MK (not planning on this working out as the line ups here are even worse then at Epcot) or Studios on Friday.

Tonight is dinner at my fav restaurant, Marrakesh, and then Illuminations from our balcony. Another great night, I'm sure!

Back to the kids, Tiger

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/xx24/customercanada/BWV%20Balcony/

MinnieLee
07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
I think the poster had packages mail from home to the resort. This is what I've read also. The resort now charges to accept packages on the behalf of the guest. (Like when guest have water shipping to the resort upon their arrival.) (Don't confuse this with the packages that you purchase while there on vacation and are delivered to the resort so you don't have to carry them around.)

Thanks for the info. I also read the later Tiger926 posting that they were packages from disneyshopping. I was hoping that Disney was not taking that perk" away. You never know!

FoxberryJam
07-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Foxberry, we've been frequent visitors to BWV and I am not sure what this ledge is, hopefully the OP will describe it more.

The balcony is same as all the others as far as I remember, and I would not leave any small child unattended.

Or do like we did while our daughter was under age 7 and make a request with "first floor, small child".

Wave at us at the quiet pool, we requested a room first floor facing the quiet pool and will be there August 20 through Sept. 4! Two adults and one well behaved 9 year old girl. :thumbsup2
We'll be there 8/25 thru 9/1. We'll try and keep away from the quiet pool, as I can guarantee it wouldn't be very quiet once we got there - 6 and 4 yr old boys...and they are VERY loud!

OP - thanks for the pic, I understand the whole "ledge" thing now.

Tiger926
07-19-2009, 08:10 AM
We checked out of BWV on Friday morn, and have been at BCV for the past 2 days! We had a great time at BWV, but did find a few things with room and resort, that we have filed for next time.

DD6 loved the Luna Park Pool - says she loves it as much as SAB, so that's good!

We have had a busy and tiring last few days. We have 2 more resorts to go - OKW and VWL, so I'll try and post again. We have received more Welcome Homes here at BCV, and staff is friendlier in the gift shops, than at BWV (there are a few very grumpy CMs working at the Screen Door at BWV). BCV has been clean and efficient though, just like BWV.

Crowds have really let up since Friday, and that is very welcome!! Weather has been very hot, with evening rains/storms, so Spectro has been cancelled a bunch of times, but we've seen Wishes from the Boardwalk, as well as our balcony here at BCV!!

Time to go as we have a breakfast ADR this morning at 1900 Park Fare - DD's fav character meal!!

ParrotBill
07-19-2009, 10:18 AM
We'll be there 8/25 thru 9/1. We'll try and keep away from the quiet pool, as I can guarantee it wouldn't be very quiet once we got there - 6 and 4 yr old boys...and they are VERY loud!

Haha, we don't expect it to remain quiet during the day!

Tiger926
07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Just wanted to update that BWV did not charge us for packages that we had shipped from Disney Shopping. Despite being told otherwise from package department (which I know is outsourced), the front desk delivered our packages themselves, and we had no charge.

Loved BWV and am really glad we stayed here! Tiger :)