PDA

View Full Version : Which will sell out first BLT or GCV?

Grumpygrandpa
07-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I know that nobody knows for sure. I guess I'm just looking for other's guesses and opinions. Or maybe someone somewhere has some inside information on how sales are going at BLT and GCV.

DebbieB
07-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I would bet on GCV because there are only 48 units.

Grumpygrandpa
07-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah. That would be my guess too. But I think I originally predicted it would sell out by Apr or May. Guess I was wrong. And I am surprised how easy it was for to get 5 nights at Spring Break 2010. Maybe I misjudged GCV's popularity.:confused3

cindy_k
07-11-2009, 08:30 PM
yeah.. but more people visit WDW and BTL is amazing, on the monorail and its not that large either.

nunzia
07-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm amazed VGC hasn't sold out. How many units in BLT? over 200?

princessbride6205
07-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I would have guessed VGC - but I'm wondering if I should rethink my guess. It's curious to me that VGC has a higher incentive and therefore lower price per point. If it's going to sell out quickly, why the better incentives? :confused3 It could go either way. I'm no help! :laughing:

Tozzie
07-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm amazed VGC hasn't sold out. How many units in BLT? over 200?

I think that the high point requirements along with the economy caused the slow sales. I am quite happy as it did sell slowly as I added on there in march but I went to DL in June and decided I needed more points to be able to go every other year so I was able to get the great incentives they offered after June 15.

Grumpygrandpa
07-12-2009, 12:18 AM
I think that the high point requirements along with the economy caused the slow sales.

Boy do I agree. I think the high number of points it takes to stay at both the Grand and BLT have slowed sales at both resorts. But one thing that both have in common is Great location. Nothing beats proximity to the parks.

bigsmooth
07-12-2009, 12:26 AM
yeah.. but more people visit WDW and BTL is amazing, on the monorail and its not that large either.

DL is impressive on how many people it does draw, it outdraws MK individually but not WDW as a whole. But it does draw more locals given the SoCal population whereas WDW draws more of the travel from out of town crowd. So I think it is just that VGC just has a smaller target audience to sell to. I hope VGC eventually succeeds as I would like to see it expand over time.

Maistre Gracey
07-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Nothing beats proximity to the parks.
I realize I'm in the minority, but in my opinion great theming beats location by a landslide.

MG

Maistre Gracey
07-12-2009, 12:32 AM
I hope VGC eventually succeeds as I would like to see it expand over time.
I'm curious.. Is there any more room to expand that resort?

MG

bigsmooth
07-12-2009, 01:00 AM

MG

Not without getting creative, but Disney is good at that. :-)

dcfromva
07-12-2009, 07:47 AM

MG

It doesn't seem to me there would be room to expand at VGC, but I have heard rumors about possible expansion of DVC at the DL hotel depending on how well VGC does. The DVC sales office at DL is nestled behind the DL hotel--shucks, I suppose they could demolish the DVC sales office and build there, too. :confused3

thelionqueen
07-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I personally think BLT will sell out faster. One reason is that the majority of DVC sales are WDW. By location and supply alone, they sell more DVC in FL than in CA.

Had you asked me last year, I would have thought VGC would sell out before being released to the general public, but obviously I too misjudged its popularity. Having said that though, I believe the true "value" of GCV will come in about 2-3 years. Right now perhaps buyers think they can get more choices and more "bang for the buck" by visiting and buying DVC @ WDW (which in many scenarios is probably "spot on." But since DLR is so much smaller, and accommodations are limited, I believe its popularity will grow exponentially in a few years. Who knows, but I personally will use it for 50 years!:worship:

I personally think, if VGC sells well in the future, and they are looking to expand, an EASY transition would be to "take" one of the 3 buildings at Disneyland Hotel. Since DLH is my favorite accommodations IN THE ENTIRE WORLD (not just Disney) I would snag that up in a flash. :thumbsup2

Either way, I own at both, and couldn't be happier with the location if I had been given the option to pick them myself.

Maistre Gracey
07-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Not without getting creative, but Disney is good at that. :-)

It doesn't seem to me there would be room to expand at VGC, but I have heard rumors about possible expansion of DVC at the DL hotel depending on how well VGC does. The DVC sales office at DL is nestled behind the DL hotel--shucks, I suppose they could demolish the DVC sales office and build there, too. :confused3
I agree with both of you..
I was also thinking of DL Hotel being expanded to where the sales office is. I'm not sure about Paradise Pier, although I'm not a fan of that hotel.
It would take some creativity to expand the GC, but personally I hope it stays as is. I don't wnt the area to seem "too stuffed in", if you know what I mean. I also think it's in our long term best interest to own at such an exclusive DVC.

MG

wideeyedwonder
07-12-2009, 06:32 PM

MG

As far as a Dvc property, or as far as expanding the attractions?

The current rumor is a new Dvc tower at the DLH after the GCV sell out...but it is just a rumor...

Sammie
07-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I realize I'm in the minority, but in my opinion great theming beats location by a landslide.

MG

I agree.

jade1
07-12-2009, 06:46 PM
DL is impressive on how many people it does draw, it outdraws MK individually but not WDW as a whole. .

Is this report wrong? Or do you mean the 2 parks combined?

The Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) and Economics Research Associates’ report for attendance to the world’s theme parks in 2008 was released earlier today. On the whole, things look on par or slightly better for the Disney Parks over 2007.

In North America, Magic Kingdom (#1) remained steady at approximately 17,063,000 after its record breaking performance in 2007; Epcot (#3) also remained steady at 10,935,000; Disney’s Hollywood Studios (#4) saw the largest percentage increase of 1% for an attendance total of 9,608,000; and Disney’s Animal Kingdom (#5) set an attendance record of 9,540,000 (an increase of .5%)

Conversely, the two parks at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim saw attendance drop on a larger scale. Disneyland (#2) saw a 1% drop to a total of 14,721,000 while Disney’s California Adventure, which is currently receiving a major overhaul, dropped a whopping 2% to 5,566,000.

DVCGeek
07-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I was expecting VGC to be sold out by now, and it seems like DVC wants it sold out before BLT. With as aggressively as SSR, AKV, and VGC are discounted I'm guessing VGC will still be sold before BLT. My wild guess- the Mouse is already secretly planning something new in DL (most likely adding DVC to the DLH) but are further away from the next new thing in WDW.

It would take some creativity to expand the GC, but personally I hope it stays as is. I don't wnt the area to seem "too stuffed in", if you know what I mean.

I agree. I think if they try and make it any larger it would be too overbearing to the park & DD and that might end up hurting everyone; hotel guests, park attendees, etc. Plus, as you said I like that we "own at such an exclusive DVC."! :thumbsup2

I was was surprised at first to see that HS & AK are so close in attendance. Then again, they have very different charms and I personally spend most of my time about equally between the two and I definitely spent more time in DL than DCA on my 2008 trip so that makes a lot of sense to me...

dvcbecker
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
We just attended the Vacation As You Wish presentation last night at the Contemporary and wound up adding on more points. Our guide told us that BLT is currently 75% sold out. I'm sure the rest will go quickly. Especially with the great incentives they're offering at the Vacation As You Wish events!

thelionqueen
07-12-2009, 10:26 PM
We just attended the Vacation As You Wish presentation last night at the Contemporary and wound up adding on more points. Our guide told us that BLT is currently 75% sold out. I'm sure the rest will go quickly. Especially with the great incentives they're offering at the Vacation As You Wish events!

Just last month I read/heard it was only 45% sold out...interesting!:confused3

SoCalKDG
07-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Its written into the DVC contracts that the new hotel rooms at the Grand can be modified to DVC units.

With a 1 billion dollar expansion under way at DCA being finished 2012, I'd expect to see hotel rates increase dramatically making the DVC units at the Grand very popular.

With a new land, 5 new rides, a new nighttime show, and a remodel of the park I could see the resort(both parks) going from approx 20 million to 25 million by 2013.

Interesting comments on location vs. theming. I think I'll take a 5 minute walk to two different parks and good theming over a 30 minute trip and great theming. With 5 minutes each way I'd go back to the room 3- times a day, eating lunch and dinner every time in the room, taking swims every day, etc. That 30 minute trip each way gives an hour round trip, so maybe I go back once, but that would be it.

gkrykewy
07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Interesting comments on location vs. theming. I think I'll take a 5 minute walk to two different parks and good theming over a 30 minute trip and great theming. With 5 minutes each way I'd go back to the room 3- times a day, eating lunch and dinner every time in the room, taking swims every day, etc. That 30 minute trip each way gives an hour round trip, so maybe I go back once, but that would be it.

While I do find walk-up access to be very appealing (we don't own a car at home), I'm not aware of any resort-->park trip anywhere in WDW that would take 30 minutes. Even 15 minutes is questionable.

wideeyedwonder
07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
While I do find walk-up access to be very appealing (we don't own a car at home), I'm not aware of any resort-->park trip anywhere in WDW that would take 30 minutes. Even 15 minutes is questionable.

Sometimes waiting for transportation to ARRIVE at WDW can take 30 minutes. Quite a few times the busses were bunched up, so you would get several busses going to the "wrong" destination (ie any destination you are not headed to). Add in the travel time, and y9ou can have a significant wait, so much so that I'd rather have a short walk (Epcot->BCV, for example), rather than having to wait for transportation to arrive.

At the DLR, if you stay at the GC or the DLH, going back to the hotel mid-day is so much easier and faster, if you are OK with walking.

The biggest no-brainer is a day at CA, staying at the GC (and soon, the GCVs)...with the "direct connect" entrance to CA, it can be a 5 minute walk to your room from the Grizzly Rapids ride.

No more all day forced marches for us, we just don't have fun with them.

thelionqueen
07-13-2009, 01:16 PM

I would disagree. We rent a car every trip and even with our clan, just walking from the hotel to the car, then to park, then transporation to get into the park (from parking lot, tram, etc), almost every park is at least 30 minutes away unless you are within walking distance.

If you add into the equation of staying at say, AKV and going to MK via car, that trip is easily 30mins with a rental car. I cannot say how long that trip would be via Disney bus, but it seems logical, with no other stops or overcrowding, it would take a good 20mins.

If you take into account the advice given by Disney Dining when making ADR's, they suggest you give yourself at least an hour for travel time, so from that corporate suggestion, you can be sure they are calculating all these variables as well.

I agree with wideeyedwonder and would take location over theming every day of the week! On our last trip to DLR, we saw this couple schlepping a 2 child stroller, and an infant in a "back pack" type apparatus walking across Katella looking like they were about to die. Seriously, in the heat, the stroller, kids, baby, souvenirs, not to mention the purse, backpack, etc, they were hauling, I say No thank you!! I LOVE walking back to my room from a park to take a quick nap or swim and then head right back to the park.

If you truly take into the equation that "time is money" (especially on Disney vacations) the time and effort it takes to get to and from locations can really add up financially, not counting the toll it takes on the nerves.

I also didn't take into account the new GCA upgrades (although I'm in the minority with LOVING GCA the way it is now). So I agree that the new attractions will increase the level of guests @ DLR. I just hope they don't take out the Golden Dreams theatre, my kids will be devastated. I know I am in the SERIOUS minority who LOVES that attraction ;)

Just my .02

gkrykewy
07-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I would disagree. We rent a car every trip and even with our clan, just walking from the hotel to the car, then to park, then transporation to get into the park (from parking lot, tram, etc), almost every park is at least 30 minutes away unless you are within walking distance.

If you add into the equation of staying at say, AKV and going to MK via car, that trip is easily 30mins with a rental car. I cannot say how long that trip would be via Disney bus, but it seems logical, with no other stops or overcrowding, it would take a good 20mins.

There are no other stops, and overcrowding is irrelevant with regard to travel time... 20 minutes would be on the very high end for any park (per my initial post above).

I see your point with regard to car rentals adding time to/from parking lots. We never rent a car, and I was referring to bus travel times. It does take a few minutes to reach the bus stop... someone above mentioned waiting 30 minutes for a bus to arrive though, and I've never experienced that, or anything approaching that, at WDW (again, relying on bus transportation for every trip).

Disney suggests allowing 1hr+ for transportation to restaurants at other resorts, which would include all related walk time plus a transfer, which is the real kicker.

Again, I don't at all disagree that GC's proximity to the Cali parks is not a huge amenity -- I just don't think one needs to get into the "let's exaggerate silly numbers to further my argument" game to make that point. It stands well enough on its own.

dizfan
07-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I think GCV will definitely sell out first. Far fewer rooms/points to sell than BLT.

Thread discussing BLT declared rooms updated for documentation file June 18, 2009 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2212548)

Based on the declared rooms from Disney's filings with the county, less than 50% of BLT was sold as of June 18, 2009. Declared rooms are ones Disney's selling or sold. I looked at the Orange County Comptroller web site today and do not see any documents describing closings on additional rooms.

The most recent documents on file appear to be running for paperwork sent out about 1 month ago. So it doesn't include the really busy periods: end of the member referral cruise discount, web cast, Boston event, BLT previews. As closings from these events are registered with the OCC, the number of declared rooms will increase.

I have heard the Disney only needs to file the declared room updates every 3 months. It will be interesting to see what rooms/floors are declared in the next update (another couple months from now).

arthur06
07-13-2009, 01:53 PM
My vote is for GCV. Simply by the size, I would guess it has to go first. I think that as of now, it is my favorite DVC resort! It has great location, and the design is really something that I like! If DW would let me add on again, I would add on there!

Greysword
07-13-2009, 02:34 PM
I would vote for BLT to sell out before VGC mainly due to DVD incentives.

Our family just returned from WDW and the Vacation Your Way presentation. We added both of these to our SSR ownership (100 pts each). Incentives dropped for BLT (to $12/pt on 100 pt contract) but increased for VGC ($22/pt on 100 pt contract). In addition since we added a total of 200 pts, the guide was able to get the 200 pt discount ($24/pt) for VGC. This made our cost $100/pt at BLT and $88/pt at VGC!

If VGC were almost sold out, then I don't see why they would decrease the price point so much for such a small number of rooms.

Your thoughts?

SoCalKDG
07-13-2009, 02:52 PM
There are no other stops, and overcrowding is irrelevant with regard to travel time... 20 minutes would be on the very high end for any park (per my initial post above).

I see your point with regard to car rentals adding time to/from parking lots. We never rent a car, and I was referring to bus travel times. It does take a few minutes to reach the bus stop... someone above mentioned waiting 30 minutes for a bus to arrive though, and I've never experienced that, or anything approaching that, at WDW (again, relying on bus transportation for every trip).

Disney suggests allowing 1hr+ for transportation to restaurants at other resorts, which would include all related walk time plus a transfer, which is the real kicker.

Again, I don't at all disagree that GC's proximity to the Cali parks is not a huge amenity -- I just don't think one needs to get into the "let's exaggerate silly numbers to further my argument" game to make that point. It stands well enough on its own.

2-3 minute walk to a bus stop
10 minute wait for bus (I've waited 20 minutes before)
15 minute bus ride (sometimes longer if you stop at another resort or another drop off)
2-3 minutes into park

30 minutes average. 20 on a very good day, 40 on a bad day.

30 minutes average time each way, thus 60 minute per trip. Do it twice per day and your up to 2 hours per day, over 5 days thats a full 10 hours of transporting your self back and forth.

Compare to 5 minutes each way at the VGC you end up with 20 minute per day or just over 90 minutes for 5 days. 10 hours compared to 1.5 hours, huge difference over the course of a vacation.

Location, location, location.

I'l choose VGC as well as the one that will sell out first. I think because its opening 2-3 months early they want the points sold asap thus some incentives.

KAT4DISNEY
07-13-2009, 02:55 PM

Sorry, but 30 minutes is not an exaggeration and calling it that is being dismissive of other people's experience. Here's examples from our last three trips. In Dec. at OKW we WAITED for an AKV bus for 50 minutes. Then it was 15-20 minutes or so travel time. Our last stay at WL it was an 18-20 minute bus ride to Epcot twice, not including wait time for the bus. 35-40 minutes total trip time. Also in Dec (and I'm not speaking of the Christmas holidays) our trip with wait time to MK from BCV was almost 1 hour on the nose. I would not be at all suprised if 30 minutes is more of an average when you consider walking to the bus stop, waiting for a bus and the travel time. Many locations are 15-20 minutes travel so all you are talking is 5 minutes walk to the bus (which most places are) and then a 5 minute wait for the bus (which is just a matter of luck and timing). In May my DH left AKV 1 hour 45 minutes before my nephew and I did. We rode Everest twice, Primeval Whirl once and Dinosaur once. Then we headed out, caught a bus (after a 10 minute wait) and arrived back at AKV 20 minutes after my DH. It took him over 1 hour to get from AK to AKV Jambo house.

This quote if from Wikitravel "The buses are reliable, fairly efficient, and reasonably comfortable, but they can be slow and inconvenient if, for example, you are traveling with young children or strollers. Expect to wait up to fifteen minutes for a bus to your destination, and another ten to thirty minutes to get there—possibly longer during the busy season. Also keep in mind that guests in wheelchairs have first priority when boarding. "

And another source on travel from WL/VWL:
"Travel time based on touringplans.com data (including waits) are:

DAK 37
DHS 37
Epcot 32
MK 19
DD 52"

Many people are having an enjoyable time with friend and family and don't even realize how long it takes to get from point A to B. I actually have next to no complaint and am not a whiner about the transportation - always a proponent, but also a realist. I don't feel our experience has been anything but the norm and only posted this to share another example. What has been stated is not trying to justify an argument - it's happened to me and it's happened to others. When you walk at DL then there's zero wait time and the speed is just as fast as you can motor.

-----------
For the OP's questions - I'll vote a tie! :rolleyes1

For BLT: approaching 50% sold, greater sales base (+), greater number of points (-), competing against 2 other locations at WDW for sales (-), proximity to the busiest amusement park in the world (+).

For GCV: I'd guess it's getting closer to 50% sold, smaller sales base (-), only DVC on west coast which is both a plus and a minus, proximity to second busiest amusement park in the world (+), proximity to two amusement parks (+), large local base for visitors (-).

Actually, If I had to make a choice I'd say BLT but I think DVD is trying to even it out with the price differential. If the GCV were plopped down at WDW all factors being the same I don't think there would even be a comparison though - it would win easily. IMO.

thelionqueen
07-13-2009, 03:15 PM

I thought my post was well written with my opinion and other facts I took into consideration. Never at any time was the tone of my post an "exaggeration of silly numbers to further my argument". Number one, I don't consider this an argument. I stated, very clearly, that I disagreed. If it were called an argument every time I disagreed with someone, you could rename me Rocky Balboa :lmao:

To your point that disney suggest travel time to include all related walk time plus a transfer made me do this :confused3. I have called Disney Dining for more years than I can count, and I have NEVER one time been told that travel time includes walking time and a transfer. I have ALWAYS been told to allow 1 hour travel time, period. Having said that this is MY experience ALONE and I am NOT suggesting it hasn't been told to anyone else. It has NEVER been told to me on literally hundreds (if not thousands) of calls to Disney Dining.

I think you need to take into account that your comments reflect your personal experience, which is quite useful on all threads on the DIS. However, the way you word your experience comes across as if it were undebatable fact. For example, you write..
"There are no other stops, and overcrowding is irrelevant with regard to travel time... 20 minutes would be on the very high end for any park"
I understand that comment to state that overcrowding has no regard to travel time (which it does in every way at every resort @ WDW), and that 20 minutes is high end for any park which obviously is not taking into account the thousands of reasons it can and does impact travel time for every guest that uses WDW transportation.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, quite the contrary. I am standing by my post and again disagreeing with your assessment of travel times.

As many times as I have visited WDW & DLR (more times than I can count honestly) I would never presume to suggest that my experience is fact. I do however suggest that my experience could be valuable and credible for those seeking my opinion on a specific topic, this one included.

Fire away :firefight :lmao:

thelionqueen
07-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Sorry, but 30 minutes is not an exaggeration and calling it that is being dismissive of other people's experience. Here's examples from our last three trips. In Dec. at OKW we WAITED for an AKV bus for 50 minutes. Then it was 15-20 minutes or so travel time. Our last stay at WL it was an 18-20 minute bus ride to Epcot twice, not including wait time for the bus. 35-40 minutes total trip time. Also in Dec (and I'm not speaking of the Christmas holidays) our trip with wait time to MK from BCV was almost 1 hour on the nose. I would not be at all suprised if 30 minutes is more of an average when you consider walking to the bus stop, waiting for a bus and the travel time. Many locations are 15-20 minutes travel so all you are talking is 5 minutes walk to the bus (which most places are) and then a 5 minute wait for the bus (which is just a matter of luck and timing). In May my DH left AKV 1 hour 45 minutes before my nephew and I did. We rode Everest twice, Primeval Whirl once and Dinosaur once. Then we headed out, caught a bus (after a 10 minute wait) and arrived back at AKV 20 minutes after my DH. It took him over 1 hour to get from AK to AKV Jambo house.

This quote if from Wikitravel "The buses are reliable, fairly efficient, and reasonably comfortable, but they can be slow and inconvenient if, for example, you are traveling with young children or strollers. Expect to wait up to fifteen minutes for a bus to your destination, and another ten to thirty minutes to get there—possibly longer during the busy season. Also keep in mind that guests in wheelchairs have first priority when boarding. "

And another source on travel from WL/VWL:
"Travel time based on touringplans.com data (including waits) are:

DAK 37
DHS 37
Epcot 32
MK 19
DD 52"

Many people are having an enjoyable time with friend and family and don't even realize how long it takes to get from point A to B. I actually have next to no complaint and am not a whiner about the transportation - always a proponent, but also a realist. I don't feel our experience has been anything but the norm and only posted this to share another example. What has been stated is not trying to justify an argument - it's happened to me and it's happened to others. When you walk at DL then there's zero wait time and the speed is just as fast as you can motor.

-----------
For the OP's questions - I'll vote a tie! :rolleyes1

For BLT: approaching 50% sold, greater sales base (+), greater number of points (-), competing against 2 other locations at WDW for sales (-), proximity to the busiest amusement park in the world (+).

For GCV: I'd guess it's getting closer to 50% sold, smaller sales base (-), only DVC on west coast which is both a plus and a minus, proximity to second busiest amusement park in the world (+), proximity to two amusement parks (+), large local base for visitors (-).

Actually, If I had to make a choice I'd say BLT but I think DVD is trying to even it out with the price differential. If the GCV were plopped down at WDW all factors being the same I don't think there would even be a comparison though - it would win easily. IMO.

Excellent post, and ITA!:thumbsup2

Maistre Gracey
07-13-2009, 03:41 PM
If VGC were almost sold out, then I don't see why they would decrease the price point so much for such a small number of rooms.
I see what you're saying, but I truly believe the reason they are able to sell VGC for less is because of the high point requirements.

That said, I also believe many visitors to DLR are more local, and may not be as interested in DVC.
DVC may have a tougher time than anticipated getting Easterners to travel west..

If more people here visited Disneyland, they would truly see the beauty of of that resort and I believe it would already be sold out.

MG

DVCGeek
07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
That said, I also believe many visitors to DLR are more local, and may not be as interested in DVC.
DVC may have a tougher time than anticipated getting Easterners to travel west..

If more people here visited Disneyland, they would truly see the beauty of of that resort and I believe it would already be sold out.

I agree completely here! I planned to go to DL once with my wife and that would be enough for a lifetime (was there once when I was a kid and WDW seemed so much better back then...). We are big WDW fans, and it was bigger and better, 4 parks, etc, right? WELL, after staying in the GCH after a conference (DW flew out and joined me) Nov. 2008 we loved it so much I added on at VGC and plan to go to there once every 3 years or so in addition to at least once per calendar year to WDW!

An interesting thing- we stayed at GCH using developer points from my BLT purchase. Before joining DVC I had booked 2 nights at Paradise Pier. So what is the best way to sell VGC? Get people to stay at the hotel and they won't want anything less!!! :rotfl:

nunzia
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Sometimes waiting for transportation to ARRIVE at WDW can take 30 minutes. Quite a few times the busses were bunched up, so you would get several busses going to the "wrong" destination (ie any destination you are not headed to). Add in the travel time, and y9ou can have a significant wait, so much so that I'd rather have a short walk (Epcot->BCV, for example), rather than having to wait for transportation to arrive.

At the DLR, if you stay at the GC or the DLH, going back to the hotel mid-day is so much easier and faster, if you are OK with walking.

The biggest no-brainer is a day at CA, staying at the GC (and soon, the GCVs)...with the "direct connect" entrance to CA, it can be a 5 minute walk to your room from the Grizzly Rapids ride.

No more all day forced marches for us, we just don't have fun with them.

I have to say that the getting around issue has me most concerned about our upcoming WDW stay. I'm so spoiled by the Grand I just hope I can stand the busses....:)

nunzia
07-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I also didn't take into account the new GCA upgrades (although I'm in the minority with LOVING GCA the way it is now). So I agree that the new attractions will increase the level of guests @ DLR. I just hope they don't take out the Golden Dreams theatre, my kids will be devastated. I know I am in the SERIOUS minority who LOVES that attraction ;)

Just my .02

Isn't this closed?? For the Mermaid ride???

SoCalKDG
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Isn't this closed?? For the Mermaid ride???

Thats correct. It will never reopen. I was just there yesterday and they are starting to knock things down. Hopefully the Little Mermaid will make people happier than Whoopie did. :)

thelionqueen
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Awwww man! Oh well, sadly it doesn't surprise me. We went last May so obviously Ariel took Whoopie out of the picture since then. Anyone know when the last show was?

Of course I love Ariel, so nothing changes but change I guess. My youngest son is gonna' kill me now. He wanted his last ride on our May trip to be Golden dream, but I told him no because we had already done it 4 times. Now I wish I had let him...:headache:

bigsmooth
07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I see what you're saying, but I truly believe the reason they are able to sell VGC for less is because of the high point requirements.

MG

I definitely think the local visitor and population density is a huge impact. Just looking at some statistics online (and yep, I was wrong on DL outdrawing MK) there are 49 million people in the Pacific Time zone and 19 million people in the Mountain Time zone. Comparatively, the Eastern time zone has 142 million people and the Central time zone has 85 million people. WDW just has a much bigger audience to draw from. DL has a big local population to draw from and a much sparser regional base to pull from. As much as I love DL (my favorite attraction and restaurant int he world is there), we have shunned it in favor of the cross country journey to WDW because of the bigger available pool of attractions and parks. I do hope that VGC is a success, because I would like to stay there and perhaps even buy there (not necessarily at VGC but a DL based DVC). But I am not sure of the economics are there for DVC to have a huge presence in SoCal, but we'll see. As for which resort sells out first, I don't really have a clue. But it seems like BLT has been 75% sold out for about six months now. :-)

DVCGeek
07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
As much as I love DL (my favorite attraction and restaurant int he world is there)

Off topic but I'm curious- what are they? Personally, I like DL's Space Mountain LOTS more than WDW's + I enjoyed several rides on the Matterhorn, but I always wonder what is special for others...

arthur06
07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
I have been to DL once in my life, summer 2004. To me, WDW is a vacation, DL is kind of a field trip...(I am gonna get ripped for that one!). We flew into LAX, and while driving to DL it was chaos. I don't mind big city traffic at all, but all my other backseat drivers were gasping and cringing!

I think that WDW has the "I'm away from it all".

I love DL and would go back in a second, but I always find better flights to Orlando. And the feel is so much more vacation!

Also, WDW is an extended vacation...with 4 major theme parks and 2 water parks... you can be there a week and not duplicate anything...

DL is a 2 park operation...as great as it is, many people don't have a week there.

I think so many of the BLT points are 150-300 point contracts and VGC are 100-200 point contracts.

bigsmooth
07-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Off topic but I'm curious- what are they? Personally, I like DL's Space Mountain LOTS more than WDW's + I enjoyed several rides on the Matterhorn, but I always wonder what is special for others...

Favorite attraction is Indiana Jones, favorite restaurant is Blue Bayou, and I should have added favorite land- New Orleans Square.

Of course I like them both, and wish I had more time to spend at both. :-)

DVCGeek
07-13-2009, 11:02 PM
To me, WDW is a vacation, DL is kind of a field trip...(I am gonna get ripped for that one!).

I think so many of the BLT points are 150-300 point contracts and VGC are 100-200 point contracts.

I agree for the most part; while as I've said before I liked DL and look forward to going back, my absolute favorite vacations are those to WDW. Everything else is just a "tide me over" until my next one! :rotfl:

And for contracts, I guess I'm cheap- I only own 160 B LT & 50 VGC! But hey, every DVC member has to start somewhere! :3dglasses

ACDSNY
07-13-2009, 11:08 PM
To me, WDW is a vacation, DL is kind of a field trip...(I am gonna get ripped for that one!).

No flames...I understand where you're coming from, we run to DL quite often since it's close, but those are usually 3-4 night trips. WDW forces us to take a week or longer due to the travel distance.

arthur06
07-13-2009, 11:24 PM
And for contracts, I guess I'm cheap- I only own 160 B LT & 50 VGC! But hey, every DVC member has to start somewhere! :3dglasses

Got me beat. I only have 30 at BWV and 125 at BLT. ( only been a member for about 10 days)

SoCalKDG
07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Awwww man! Oh well, sadly it doesn't surprise me. We went last May so obviously Ariel took Whoopie out of the picture since then. Anyone know when the last show was?

Of course I love Ariel, so nothing changes but change I guess. My youngest son is gonna' kill me now. He wanted his last ride on our May trip to be Golden dream, but I told him no because we had already done it 4 times. Now I wish I had let him...:headache:

Here is a you tube video to help relieve the pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMzLBteDxZQ

VallCopen
07-14-2009, 12:20 AM
LionQueen

We love GCA the way it is too, although more rides will make it even better... I have to admit we have been about 6 or 7 times over the last 5 years and I don't even know what the Golden Dreams theatre is???

kerickson
07-14-2009, 12:33 AM
I think DVC thought VGC would sell quicker and are also discounting to sell out before they start selling Hawaii which will need to draw from the West Coast. If the opening is slated for 2011, Hawaii should start selling in the next year, right?

Tozzie
07-14-2009, 12:47 AM

MG

You are so right, I originally bought points to be able to go every three years, well after being there this past June I decided I want to go every other year. It is a great resort and I had a wonderful time.

Tozzie
07-14-2009, 12:53 AM
I think DVC thought VGC would sell quicker and are also discounting to sell out before they start selling Hawaii which will need to draw from the West Coast. If the opening is slated for 2011, Hawaii should start selling in the next year, right?

I would guess they would start selling Hawaii 9-11 months prior to its opening, that seems to be the pattern with BLT and VGC.

nunzia
07-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Got me beat. I only have 30 at BWV and 125 at BLT. ( only been a member for about 10 days)

...it sounds like you did what I did..bought a small resale to get into the system so you could buy a smaller BLT? I have 25 at OKW and 125 at VGC..wish I could add on..looks like I'll be in borrowing mode for several years! :)

SoCalKDG
07-14-2009, 11:05 AM
I have been to DL once in my life, summer 2004. To me, WDW is a vacation, DL is kind of a field trip...(I am gonna get ripped for that one!). We flew into LAX, and while driving to DL it was chaos. I don't mind big city traffic at all, but all my other backseat drivers were gasping and cringing!

I love DL and would go back in a second, but I always find better flights to Orlando. And the feel is so much more vacation!

Also, WDW is an extended vacation...with 4 major theme parks and 2 water parks... you can be there a week and not duplicate anything...

DL is a 2 park operation...as great as it is, many people don't have a week there.

I've been about 150 times to the DLR and agree that WDW makes for a better extended vacation compared to DLR. I've usually stayed 9 days each time to WDW. I picked up 125 points at VGC so that we can stay in a 1 bedroom 5 days a year in the first week of June. Its really a good place to visit Sunday to Friday, or take a couple days off and make it a 4 day weekend.

You can easily spend 1.5 days at DCA and 2.5 days at DL at a relaxing pace. Include a day at the pool with some shopping in DTD and its a 5 day vacation. For people flying in you can rent a car for the day and hit Sea World or Universal Studios.

Grumpygrandpa
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM
On the themeing vs proximity discussion - I can honestly say that themeing is probably more important to me than location. I really enjoyed my recent stay at Kidani (great themeing-remote location). And though I haven't seen the models for BLT, I think it is the one DVC resort that I have no desire to stay at (poor themeing IMHO-great location). I think the Grand has the best of both. I love the Arts and Crafts theme and you just can't beat being a 5 to 10 walk to your room from the park.

On DCA- I love it. It has grown on me over time. I admit it lacks that special magic spark that comes from stepping under the RR overpass and into DL, but it is nice to take a break from the crowds and most of my favorite rides and attractions are in DCA. I love Screaming, Soaring, ToT, TSM, Grizzly River Rafts, talk with Crush and the Alladin show. I know things are a little tore up right now, but I'm looking forward to all of the upgrades.

On DLR vs WDW - I have only been to WDW three times and go to DLR 3 or 4 times a year. There is more to do at WDW. There is a wide selection of resorts and restaurants to choose from. I love the visual impact of the Animal Kingdom. I like Poly, Bay Lake and the GF. In spite of the many things that I do like about WDW, I have to say that I still prefer DLR. We usually do Disney with family group that includes about 14 people. All of us - except my 9 year old grandson - like DLR better. Mickey's Toontown, Space Mountain, Fantasyland, POTC are all better at DL. DL has Indiana Jones, the Blue Bayou and New Orleans Square. I just like how compact everything is. It is so easy to decide to go for swim, do a little shopping, switch parks or take a nap. I think CMs in CA are better. I know that the thing I like best about DLR is it's familiarity and all of the memories that are associated with years of vacationing. It does truly feel like coming home to me. My seven year old DGD has been complaining about too many WDW and not enough DL vacations. We can't wait till spring break and our first trip to GCV.

thelionqueen
07-14-2009, 04:03 PM
I can't tell you how many threads I've read about WDW vs DLR. There are interesting points to both sides, and I can understand them both.

WDW-Definitely more of a destination vacation, i.e. more resorts, more parks, more to do in general. I LOVE WDW, and we go there every single year without fail.

That said, I have been lucky enough to go to DLR every year of my childhood, and nearly every year in my adulthood (save a couple years, childbirth, surgeries, etc. :lmao:)

DLR is different than WDW in so many ways, but one of the biggest, IMHO, and most important is the true sense of being the "original."

I mean, walking through the castle (SO tiny compared to WDW) and to know that Walt himself walked through it, dreamed it and created it, is a special "magic" I simply can't explain. The original "rustic" look of Frontierland and adventurland, and the DL railroad all hold such a special lock on my heart, it simply cannot compare to anything WDW has to offer. Don't get me started on the candy shop people, it is likely my favorite place in the entire world (not just Disney) to be. Seriously, I stand and watch (and eat) so long in front of the window where they make candy, I sometimes think they're going to tell me to take a hike :rotfl2:

The monorail actually going into the park is a HUGE piece of magic for me too. I thought when they took the monorail out of the DLH I was gonna' die (STILL think that was a horrible idea, but I digress). The submarine ride, now that it's back as Nemo, was the first experience I ever had with Disney. And watching the tops glide through the water, listening to the peaceful music and watching the monorail glide in front of the Matterhorn, what can I say...that is my magic.

If I absolutely HAD to give up one for the other, I would give up WDW. Although we go there more, and stay longer, it simply doesn't hold the same magic for me and my family.

Also to add, we never stay @ DLR for less than 8 nights. We easily spend 3 days @ DL and 2+ days @ DCA. We also head to the beach for a half day, but other than that, stay on property. There are so many great resort activities, pools, DTD and so forth, that I can say for myself and my family, it is definitely not a 3-4 day trip. Not if you want to really take in the magic and enjoy it..just my .02.

Grumpygrandpa
07-14-2009, 06:17 PM
I can't tell you how many threads I've read about WDW vs DLR. There are interesting points to both sides, and I can understand them both.

WDW-Definitely more of a destination vacation, i.e. more resorts, more parks, more to do in general. I LOVE WDW, and we go there every single year without fail.

That said, I have been lucky enough to go to DLR every year of my childhood, and nearly every year in my adulthood (save a couple years, childbirth, surgeries, etc. :lmao:)

DLR is different than WDW in so many ways, but one of the biggest, IMHO, and most important is the true sense of being the "original."

I mean, walking through the castle (SO tiny compared to WDW) and to know that Walt himself walked through it, dreamed it and created it, is a special "magic" I simply can't explain. The original "rustic" look of Frontierland and adventurland, and the DL railroad all hold such a special lock on my heart, it simply cannot compare to anything WDW has to offer. Don't get me started on the candy shop people, it is likely my favorite place in the entire world (not just Disney) to be. Seriously, I stand and watch (and eat) so long in front of the window where they make candy, I sometimes think they're going to tell me to take a hike :rotfl2:

The monorail actually going into the park is a HUGE piece of magic for me too. I thought when they took the monorail out of the DLH I was gonna' die (STILL think that was a horrible idea, but I digress). The submarine ride, now that it's back as Nemo, was the first experience I ever had with Disney. And watching the tops glide through the water, listening to the peaceful music and watching the monorail glide in front of the Matterhorn, what can I say...that is my magic.

If I absolutely HAD to give up one for the other, I would give up WDW. Although we go there more, and stay longer, it simply doesn't hold the same magic for me and my family.

Also to add, we never stay @ DLR for less than 8 nights. We easily spend 3 days @ DL and 2+ days @ DCA. We also head to the beach for a half day, but other than that, stay on property. There are so many great resort activities, pools, DTD and so forth, that I can say for myself and my family, it is definitely not a 3-4 day trip. Not if you want to really take in the magic and enjoy it..just my .02.

ITA!:thumbsup2 Your post might be my favorite ever!

KAT4DISNEY
07-14-2009, 08:33 PM
The monorail actually going into the park is a HUGE piece of magic for me too. I thought when they took the monorail out of the DLH I was gonna' die (STILL think that was a horrible idea, but I digress).

The whole post is great and I totally agree on this. Bad, bad, bad! Now I wish they'd add a stop at GC - that would be brilliant!!!

VallCopen
07-14-2009, 10:00 PM
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2The whole post is great and I totally agree on this. Bad, bad, bad! Now I wish they'd add a stop at GC - that would be brilliant!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsu p2

thelionqueen
07-15-2009, 10:43 AM
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thank you both SO much, I am truly honored by your comments! :hug:

I absolutely LOVE that others feel the same about DLR. I also loved the other post stating that if more people had the opportunity to truly enjoy DLR it would be much more popular and more of a destination vacation.

However, let's not forget that DLR is horribly over-crowded, the weather is terrible and you should never, ever want to go there if you can help it. :lmao:

SoCalKDG
07-15-2009, 10:52 AM
The whole post is great and I totally agree on this. Bad, bad, bad! Now I wish they'd add a stop at GC - that would be brilliant!!!As it goes through the middle of GC you could jump out the window. Just remember to tuck and roll. :thumbsup2

ACDSNY
07-15-2009, 12:28 PM
However, let's not forget that DLR is horribly over-crowded, the weather is terrible and you should never, ever want to go there if you can help it. :lmao:

Especially on Oct 14 - 17th this year! :rotfl: I'd like the crowds to thin out a little.

thelionqueen
07-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Especially on Oct 14 - 17th this year! :rotfl: I'd like the crowds to thin out a little.

And our trip in May 2010, and all subsequent trips of ours where less people would be more enjoyable :rotfl2:

DVCGeek
07-15-2009, 01:57 PM

It might be bad then BUT the absolutely WORST time that EVERYONE should avoid DL (& VGC in particular!) is October 16th through 21st of next year (2010) [Coincidentally, my BD is the 19th...;)]

arthur06
07-15-2009, 02:58 PM
I am just hoping that once in the next 5 years I could get 4 nights at VGC w/o being an owner there!

Grumpygrandpa
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
I am just hoping that once in the next 5 years I could get 4 nights at VGC w/o being an owner there!

I think many of us may have misjudged the popularity of GCV. I got in at spring break with no prob. I'll bet you will be able to get in at seven months if you don't need high demand dates.:cool2:

nunzia
07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Thank you both SO much, I am truly honored by your comments! :hug:

I absolutely LOVE that others feel the same about DLR. I also loved the other post stating that if more people had the opportunity to truly enjoy DLR it would be much more popular and more of a destination vacation.

That's true..you don't want to visit DLR..blech..icky;)

SoCalKDG
07-20-2009, 04:22 PM
It looks like 1805 contracts have been registered.

48 2 bedrooms and Grand Villas gives us approx. 2500 units per year and approx. 1,000,000 points. If everyone bought an ave. of 200 points we get 1805 X 200 = 361k, or 36% sold. Now it looks like the recording happens 1-2 months after purchase, thus we might be at around 45% sold. No matter what it looks like there is still a large amount of points available and should last the rest of the year. :teacher: Or not. :confused3

thelionqueen
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
It looks like 1805 contracts have been registered.

48 2 bedrooms and Grand Villas gives us approx. 2500 units per year and approx. 1,000,000 points. If everyone bought an ave. of 200 points we get 1805 X 200 = 361k, or 36% sold. Now it looks like the recording happens 1-2 months after purchase, thus we might be at around 45% sold. No matter what it looks like there is still a large amount of points available and should last the rest of the year. :teacher: Or not. :confused3
Excellent investigative work!! :cool1:
I love when people find all the facts and then all I have to do is comment :rotfl2:

Going by your figures, I'd say a sell out this years seems logical, although I am truly surprised at the amount of points still left :confused3

With that in mind, and the apparent 1-2 month "lag" of contracts being sold vs. being recorded, the new incentive is amazing and it just started a few weeks ago. I think that there are a lot of new owners that bought during that incentive (me included) that have not been recorded yet. If those sales reflect all sales prior to this promotion, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a larger amount of contracts show up in say Oct-Nov. :confused3

I wonder why the sales are so far below expectation? I must say that since we bought our points to have forever, it doesn't bother me. BUT, on the odd chance we would have to sell our GVC contract I wonder what value it would have in the future if sales seem sluggish now. Any thoughts or am I reading too much into this (which I often do) :confused3

thesupersmartguy
07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I heard BLT is almost sold out. So i'm going to have to go with that.

Maistre Gracey
07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
I heard BLT is almost sold out. So i'm going to have to go with that.
The numbers here that were dug up by the sleuths show that to be an exaggeration told by the guides.

I'm still betting VGC. I believe the percentages are about the same, but BLT has been on sale for a longer amount of time. Please correct me if I' mistaken...

MG

dizfan
07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
The numbers here that were dug up by the sleuths show that to be an exaggeration told by the guides.

To confirm MG's info, today a document showed up on the Orange County Comptroller's web site that indicated just under 50% of BLT rooms are declared. Declared in this case means Disney has received approval from Florida to sell points in those rooms. While the documentation is behind and doesn't truly reflect all the contracts out there (for example, some recent documents are from May). The previous BLT declaration had 43.77% of BLT rooms declared, so a safe guess is somewhere between 42% and 50% are sold out. Since the declaration showed up today, it's more likely closer to 42%.

Sales are extremely strong at BLT (over 80,000 points just last week), but BLT has 6 times as many points for sale (approx 6 million).

As someone who dug into the 1500+ BLT contracts since June 18th, I wouldn't be surprised if BLT February UY points sell out in the next month. However, lots of points for the other UYs. Perhaps some of the guides are misrepresenting nearly sold out with Feb UY nearly sold out?

malonefamily
07-21-2009, 02:43 AM
My family loves WDW (me especially), but the DLR experience is better in many ways. For WDW to replicate the feeling of staying at the Grand Californian they would somehow have to pluck the Magic Kingdom up and put it where Disney Studios is, and put Downtown Disney along the walkway between the Epcot resorts and the park. Then, staying at the Beach Club or Boardwalk nestled in easy walking distance of Epcot and the Magic Kingdom and Downtown Disney would indeed trump the original DLR. In a sense, that's what the DLR feels like now!

Surely the new Villas in the Grand Californian are the record holders for "Closest DVC to a Park" - I mean California Adventure seems to just about bump into the deck of the place! As far as I'm concerned the DTD of California is exactly the right size, and is so much fun to wander around in on the way to the hotels - much better than the confusing and slightly scary DTD found in Florida. And we've always loved DCA, we were first there when the park was only about 10 days old and have always thought it was more fun (or at least more comfortable) than WDW's Disney Studios, which it often reminds us of.

If you stay in the Disneyland Hotel or the Grand Californian, and you walk to the parks, you can be immersed in the magic in a manner very similar to the way WDW manages in Florida. And although there are 2-4 less days worth of parks to play in, a day in Disneyland is still probably about the most amazing day in a park a person can have. Gosh they have a lot of attractions in one place!

That said, I could never choose between them. I'm soooo glad our Seattle-based family was able to buy a 125-point addon in GCV to go with our Saratoga Springs contract (from when that resort was absolutely brand new). We need both flavors of the Mouse as often as we can afford it. I can't wait to see what we think of the Cruiseline (Come on Feb. 7th, hurry up!) Our only other vacation spot is Hawaii, and now it looks like we can Mouse it there too, we sure love DVC.

SoCalKDG
07-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Looks like my numbers are doubled as they list every contract twice under two different Disney names.

It looks like we only have about 900 contracts that have been registered.

48 2 bedrooms and Grand Villas gives us approx. 2500 units per year and approx. 1,000,000 points. If everyone bought an ave. of 200 points we get 900 X 200 = 180k, or 18% sold.

By now that might be close to 25%, but I'd guess it won't sell out until next summer at the earliest. Of course once people start staying there word of mouth could spread on how great the rooms are.

So now I think BLT will beat out VGC. This might also mean we won't be seeing any additional DVC's at the DLR resort, or at least until Disney sees what happens with the numbers at DCA over the next three years with all the additions starting next year.

Grumpygrandpa
07-21-2009, 01:48 PM
BLT does seem to have momentum on it's side. It still very surprising to me. If I can get into GCV on a regular basis at seven months with my SSR points I may keep most of them instead of selling and buying more GCV. I can't tell you how curious I am to see how this all works out.