PDA

View Full Version : Free Lodging for Family

rowbear
07-11-2009, 02:29 PM
It might be interesting to see how many of us give free lodging to family members for family vacations.

Free lodging means that points were used to upgrade a room or get additional rooms to accomodate family members. If they went with you and slept in the room you had already planned to get it does not count.

So far we have given out:

1 1br
7 studios
1 upgrade 1br to 2br

So are your points just for you or are you like us and taking additional family here and there is part of the joy of ownership?

EDITED TO ADD:

For you new owners DO NOT let this poll in influence you in any way. It is not your responsibility to provide vacations for anyone but yourself. I don't do it because I feel obligated I only do it to enhance my own enjoyment. I have never once sacrificed a future vacation for my family. Our points are for us first and if we can bring additional family members great, if not, they stay home.

Maistre Gracey
07-11-2009, 02:35 PM
We always treat family..
Our next treat for the entire both sides of the family will be this October. We have four nights in a Cottage at Vero, followed by 10 nights in a Kidani grand villa.

It's only my wife and me, so that's a lot of space for family...

MG

Chuck S
07-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I've given lots points to friends and family over the years. And they're great to use as wedding gifts, if the couple want to go to WDW for their honeymoon. I've never charged for a guest, but they usually do buy a nice dinner out or a dinner show, depending upon their financial situaton. They do all have to pay for their own park tickets and meals.

Claire L
07-11-2009, 02:39 PM
We had loads of DP's to use last year so treated DBIL and DSIL to 10 nights in a studio at AKV :)

Claire ;)

TINKERIFIC
07-11-2009, 02:47 PM
I was very interested in what others do. We are new owners. We bought in for the larger accomodations and kitchen. Plus, we always love to travel to WDW with family members. With the larger accomodations, we can all room together!!!

I do not plan on having them "rent" the additonal points we use to accomodate them, but I might suggest they pitch in for the additional grocery expense, etc.

If we go alone (2 adults 2 kids) we would get a 1 bedroom (minimum). In June 2010 we are getting a 2 bedroom to accomodate by DB, DSIS, DN and DF. Wish I could get a grand villa, but we do not have enough points. My DB and DF have offered to buy groceries and treat us to a TS in return for the lodging. I think that is fair.

quirty30
07-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I was very interested in what others do. We are new owners. We bought in for the larger accomodations and kitchen. Plus, we always love to travel to WDW with family members. With the larger accomodations, we can all room together!!!

I do not plan on having them "rent" the additonal points we use to accomodate them, but I might suggest they pitch in for the additional grocery expense, etc.

If we go alone (2 adults 2 kids) we would get a 1 bedroom (minimum). In June 2010 we are getting a 2 bedroom to accomodate by DB, DSIS, DN and DF. Wish I could get a grand villa, but we do not have enough points. My DB and DF have offered to buy groceries and treat us to a TS in return for the lodging. I think that is fair.

I'm with you. Also a new owner and looking forward to having family join us on our visits, and would only hope in return that they buy a meal or two. I would also consider renting points to friends if for whatever reason we can't use them ourselves or bank them.

CarolMN
07-11-2009, 02:58 PM
If we invite others, they do not pay for lodging. We get a larger unit and stay together. In all cases, the guests paid for at least one of our meals and usually paid for the van as well.

Only twice have we made reservations for someone when we were not traveling. Both times were for our daughter, who was stilll living with us (college) at the time.

None of our family or friends expects anyone else to pay for their vacations. Maybe that's one reason we get along so well. :)

arthur06
07-11-2009, 03:00 PM
We will be going "home" for the first time in Oct. We are taking MIL with us. We will be in a 2br. (Me, DW, MIL, DS2, DS11months). We are actually paying for her flight and tickets! (Eventhough she is WAY better off then us!). We figured the moments of watching her first grandsons enjoy Disney and all the things that they (MIL and FIL) have done for us the last couple of years, the least we could do is this!

In the future we won't pay for flights and tickets, but the rooms???...Sure! But for this first time, its all on us!

rowbear
07-11-2009, 03:09 PM
None of our family or friends expects anyone else to pay for their vacations. Maybe that's one reason we get along so well. :)

You'd be surprised how well a family gets along when you pay for almost everything too.

maburke
07-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Family stays without charge, we rent to friends. My BIL let us stay on his points many times before we bought in. Now I have a true appreciation for his generosity! :worship:

Pakey
07-11-2009, 03:14 PM
We regularly give our points to friends/family as we own way more than we can use now (thanks to addonitis in prior years). We even treated my husband's ex-wife and her husband to a week at BCV earlier this year.

The only tough thing about it is when they go without me. It's hard to listen to someone else's anticipation when I know I'm not going.

DisneyWalker44
07-11-2009, 03:16 PM
I would never thing to tell anyone else what to do with their points (and their family)...

But DVC is my home - you don't charge family to stay in your home. In fact, one of the main reasons I bought DVC is to be able to share vacations with friends and family.

arthur06
07-11-2009, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=Pakey;32664489]We regularly give our points to friends/family as we own way more than we can use now (thanks to addonitis in prior years). We even treated my husband's ex-wife and her husband to a week at BCV earlier this year.QUOTE]

That might be a little to generous for my liking!:rotfl2:

rowbear
07-11-2009, 03:20 PM
We regularly give our points to friends/family as we own way more than we can use now (thanks to addonitis in prior years). We even treated my husband's ex-wife and her husband to a week at BCV earlier this year.

The only tough thing about it is when they go without me. It's hard to listen to someone else's anticipation when I know I'm not going.

We have only sent someone without us once. I feel like it enhances my vacation to have various family members with us which is how I can justify doing it so often. They get to have the time of their life but it is not all about them it is about us too. It would be sort of weird for me to hand out vacations that did not include us... that would be harder to justify.

The one time I did do it was for a business conference. They had fun but it wasn't purely a vacation.

RLRDA
07-11-2009, 03:21 PM
We have only owned for 5 years but I voted that we share points "regularly". "Occasionally" is actually more accurate - we have treated family twice (both times they joined us on vacation). We've taken 4 DVC vacations so that's 50% of the time! I think I chose "regularly" because if anyone ever wanted to join us we'd be open to it. I don't know if I'd ever book a vacation for someone with our points when we wouldn't be there though. We have so few that there aren't many (any!) left over to share in that way.

rowbear
07-11-2009, 03:25 PM
We have only owned for 5 years but I voted that we share points "regularly". "Occasionally" is actually more accurate - we have treated family twice (both times they joined us on vacation). We've taken 4 DVC vacations so that's 50% of the time! I think I chose "regularly" because if anyone ever wanted to join us we'd be open to it. I don't know if I'd ever book a vacation for someone with our points when we wouldn't be there though. We have so few that there aren't many (any!) left over to share in that way.

That certainly fits my definition of regularly. You have done it in the past and you will likely do it again in the future. We have not even done it 50 percent of the time (38.4% to be accurate) but that is still pretty regular.

ToddyLu
07-11-2009, 03:27 PM
:) My belief is to give free points and lodging to family. DH thinks they should buy points. His Mom just reimbursed us for her room, she was getting one at Pop, and paid us that to stay in a Studio SV room at AKV. We have 2 studios reserved in AKV. She knew she was getting a bargain...anyway I picked renting points since that is what we have done so far....we just joined DVC last month.:cloud9:

rowbear
07-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I would never thing to tell anyone else what to do with their points (and their family)...

But DVC is my home - you don't charge family to stay in your home. In fact, one of the main reasons I bought DVC is to be able to share vacations with friends and family.

I agree with that in principle and it was one of the reasons we purchased as well but I can certainly understand it if someone else doesn't take it being home quite as literally.

I view it this way. If a family members asks me if they can go (without a prior invitation) and I agree then I might reconsider the free policy because I might be sacrificing some of my own plans to do so. If I invite a family member it is because I planned for it and it is ALWAYS free to them.

quirty30
07-11-2009, 03:39 PM
We will be going "home" for the first time in Oct. We are taking MIL with us. We will be in a 2br. (Me, DW, MIL, DS2, DS11months). We are actually paying for her flight and tickets! (Eventhough she is WAY better off then us!). We figured the moments of watching her first grandsons enjoy Disney and all the things that they (MIL and FIL) have done for us the last couple of years, the least we could do is this!

In the future we won't pay for flights and tickets, but the rooms???...Sure! But for this first time, its all on us!

I am bringing my MIL along in Sept. for our first visit home as well, and I also paid for her airfare. I agree that it's wonderful for grandparents to experience Disney with their grandkids. And even though it's only 4 of us (me, my 2 kids and my MIL) I got a 2 br. villa because much as I like her, I want us to have have our own beds : )

You'd be surprised how well a family gets along when you pay for almost everything too.

That is too funny :rotfl:

People thought I was a practically a saint for planning a recent family trip and inviting my ex and his girlfriend to join us. But they stayed at another resort and paid for it themselves, though I did splurge on some special perks like a Wishes cruise and my ex's birthday dinner at Yachtsman. You have totally one-upped me with the above - kudos to you for your generosity. :)

Amen to this. Next time I invite the ex and gf to join us, it will be in a 2 br. villa and I only hope we have as great of a time as we did last month.

jlewisinsyr
07-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Good way of putting it.

We're taking 14 people "Home" with us next year, and have taken friends and family even before buying in with DVC at no cost.

I look at it another way too. We have been very successful in our careers (myself more then my partner, but we're very comfortable all the same) and our ability to take friends and family is a perk that we enjoy.

Seeing my nephew who is almost 3 smile ear to ear when he see's June at Hollywood and Vine or my brother-in-law who is a Green Beret as giddy as a school boy at Disney and cry watching his son experiencing Disney or our good friend talk non-stop after her trip with us to friends and family is all the payment I'll ever need.

rowbear
07-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Seeing my nephew who is almost 3 smile ear to ear when he see's June at Hollywood and Vine or my brother-in-law who is a Green Beret as giddy as a school boy at Disney and cry watching his son experiencing Disney or our good friend talk non-stop after her trip with us to friends and family is all the payment I'll ever need.

That about sums it up. When I talk of enhancing my own vacation this is exactly what I am talking about. When we took my BiL, SiL, and nephew (age 5 at the time) to disney it was mostly a selfish act on my part. I could not wait to see his reaction. I even started the vacation by treating them all to a Chef Mickey character breakfast and his reaction paid me back 100 times whatever it cost. All the pictures that we have of that trip are PRICELESS. You could not hire models and stage pictures that wonderful.

dvcnewgirl
07-11-2009, 04:22 PM
:goodvibesWe take my parents and get them a studio. I figure they took me my whole life..:grouphug:

Deb & Bill
07-11-2009, 04:32 PM
We have invited family or friends at least 8 times and no one backed out. We haven't invited anyone in a while, but in two years, we'll be doing a HS grad trip for our son and some of his friends. We'll see how that goes.

DenLo
07-11-2009, 04:38 PM

Here, here! We're newbies, but we too bought thinking family can stay we us sometimes and we plan to get a larger unit or multiple units when needed. At no charge for the family. However, unlike at home they have to pay for their own meals. And tickets to WDW too.

We're already planning for our brother to join us for late September 2010 and will get a 1 bedroom vs a studio we get for us.

MrsNick
07-11-2009, 05:09 PM
We've treated good friends twice, DSD + 1 once, and will be treating my DM and DSis+Family next year. We've owned since 2005 and took our first trip in 2006.

The friends we treated to 3 nights each. One friend stayed with me in a studio at SSR - we left the DH's home on that trip :D
Our other friends got their own OVIR at VB.

DSD + 1 we treated to an OVIR for a week.

Next year, DM and DSis+Family will stay with us for an entire week in THV solely on points (we'd have gotten a 1BR otherwise, probably at VB, and would likely have done the 1BR on cash for the weekend instead). I believe I'll be able to cover park tickets for everyone this whole trip, too.

We've always enjoyed the company. With a baby on the way, I'm not sure that we'll have enough spare points to continue to treat since we'll really need a 1 BR now, vs. getting a 1 BR occasionally as a splurge. But we'll do what we can. If at all possible, I'd love to add-on, but again, with a baby coming and all the related expenses for that, I just don't see it happening in the near future.

DVCJones
07-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I would love to be able to own enough points to take my friends and family. (maybe someday:)) With that being said, I have had family use the rent board to rent and transfer points to my account. It is never the full amount needed. I usually use a portion of my points. This helps to cut down the cost even morefor them.

Also, we have all heard of the DVC member who booked more rooms or bigger rooms for family and friends only to have them back out after the 31 day mark thus resulting in a loss of valuable points. I like the idea of family and friends buying a portion of their points, because people don't tend to back out when "their" money is on the line. KWIM?

dr&momto2boys
07-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes! We upgrade to a grand villa to bring MIL, FIL, and SIL's family with us. We do it because it's fun to vacation with them and we love to have very nice accomodations! We bought enough points planning to do this every 2-3 years until we grow out of it!

hygienejean
07-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I would love to be able to own enough points to take my friends and family. (maybe someday:)) With that being said, I have had family use the rent board to rent and transfer points to my account. It is never the full amount needed. I usually use a portion of my points. This helps to cut down the cost even morefor them.

Also, we have all heard of the DVC member who booked more rooms or bigger rooms for family and friends only to have them back out after the 31 day mark thus resulting in a loss of valuable points. I like the idea of family and friends buying a portion of their points, because people don't tend to back out when "their" money is on the line. KWIM?

We do this too! We have enough points for our immediate family and a few extra. I wish I could afford more and be able to take family for free. Now we super discount it for my parents and use some of our points. Someday maybe we can totally treat them. :)

Chris and Pooh
07-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I bought an extra 120 points to allow for me to book 4 studios to accommodate my dw and myself and my 3 dd's and their partners so they could join me to celebrate my 50th in October

Robo-Daddy 3000
07-11-2009, 08:21 PM
We were all set in a 1br at BCV last summer when I invitedmy mom and stepdad along. But there were no 2br available at BCV when I called to change the ressie, so we weneded up in a 2 br at SSR instead. It was our pleasure to have them come along on the trip and we wouldn't have let them pay for the room even if they tried

shortypots
07-11-2009, 09:36 PM
We bought our points to take the family with us on vacation. However, it is all dependant upon how the April trip goes. If there is too much complaining or arguing, that will be the end of everyone going at the same time, and DH and I will have to use them all on ourselves!

However, I don't think I would just give away points if I wasn't going on the trip too. So I do not think I would let my family use them unless I was using it too.

Inkmahm
07-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the time we take family with us. No one has ever paid for a meal for us, in fact, we pay for their meals as they are our guests. At least, we pay for the meals if they are with us. If they head off on their own, the food costs are up to them.

pixie08
07-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Really for us it is the reason we bought. We are able to do this for our family and loving going to wdw with people. We really only give to closest family and we always travel with them:rotfl:

We have been owners for 2 years and so far..

My mom and bro twice (in a studio)- 1 week each
My SIL and BIL in a studio- 1 week
My MIL & FIL and us in a 2br

we never pay anything else for them (ie travel, food tickets) and do not expect them to give anything to us...nor would we take anything.

ACDSNY
07-12-2009, 02:06 AM
I look at it another way too. We have been very successful in our careers (myself more then my partner, but we're very comfortable all the same) and our ability to take friends and family is a perk that we enjoy.

This fits us too. We only rented our points once to DH cousin since we had to add-on to have enough points for them, but then we took them to Kauai with us for nothing. Both trip were extremely fun and full of memories.

My extended family goes on almost all of our DL and WDW trips. We have 22 of us on a Wonder cruise this Nov.

jlewisinsyr - I did a double take on your screen name as my father is J Lewis. :)

BeccaG
07-12-2009, 02:27 AM
We purchased out points with the intent to be generous, "giving" is one of our love languages (if you have read the book the five love languages, that will make more sense :)
So far we have:
sent a pastor and his fam for a week in a studio
took our fam and friends as a Christmas gift in 1 2BR and 4 studios
are going in Nov. with fam and friends in 1 treehouses.

Its a way for us to say thank you for all they do and return some of the generosity they have blessed us with.

bobbiwoz
07-12-2009, 06:42 AM
We bought DVC specifically to stay in to celebrate DM's 85th birthday with family and friends. We've continued to invite people to share the magic with us!

Bobbi:goodvibes

dianeschlicht
07-12-2009, 07:25 AM
We LOVE inviting family and friends along, and we never charge them. We do find that most take us out to dinner while we are on the trip as a thank you, but that's all the thanks we need. Just having the fun of sharing it with others is enough for us!:thumbsup2

flatzkids
07-12-2009, 11:45 AM
We are new to DVC and just recently made our first reservations.....and they are for our friends! We are going also, but with my mother on her "developer points" (I think that's what they're called) that she received when she purchased last year. We are a family of 6 so I'm not sure how often we will be able to treat. We would love to be able to share the magic when able. We will expect nothing in return but will graciously accept something, like dinner, if offered.

yasuern
07-12-2009, 11:56 AM
We have given many vacations to family - a few in exchange for pet sitting while we are on vacation as a gift upon returning from Iraq and as wedding and graduation gifts.

We only use them as "gifts" if this is something a family member has asked for - we have never FORCED a vacation stay on anyone.

Sue:goodvibes

Mini Sorcerer's Mom
07-12-2009, 12:36 PM
One reason we bought so many points is to treat our close friends and family to WDW. When we bring family (my parents or MIL) we pay for most everything including the meal plans-parents pay for the tips + drinks at sit down dinners and buy my son everything under the sun! :scared1:

When we bring our friends they have either paid for the meal plan or treated us to dinners and bought beer and wine for the room.

However, when I do have additional points on hand, I have rented to friends and colleagues ONLY if we are not going and it is a way for them to get a great WDW vacation at a great price.

Vickis3js
07-12-2009, 01:06 PM
I guess I am the odd stingy one. But then we bought into DVC to gaurantee that we would get the heck away from family every Christmas. We don't speak to my MIL and SIL. DH's father is a workaholic and vacation is not in his vocabulary and to take my family would NOT be fun. Plus we can only vacation at Christmas so I couldn't take my parents and my 3 young,14,9, and 5 yo siblings because I would be taking them away from my older siblings with kids and well we don't get along at all either so its not like I would invite them.
I know way more info then you wanted BUT I am 31 with 3 kids a wonderful husband and a successful business. We have worked our butts off and sacrificed a ton to be where we are today and honestly family expects way too much from us as is. We are the only responsible ones in either of our families. If I open the door to invites they will come crashing in with their hands out for more and expect me to foot hte bill for everything because I can. So I will keep it less complicated and use my points to make sure my kids have a great time.

Donald is #1
07-12-2009, 06:26 PM
I voted regularly in the poll. But in reality, it depends upon the purpose of the trip. I have probably upgraded to a larger room on 2 out of 4 trips so far (counting my up coming December trip which is solo). Now my trip next year won't be upgraded (I'm taking my nephew) and most likely my 2011 trip won't be either when I take my niece. So my stat's will be changing over the next couple of years.

bbrnca
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
we have taken family for disney trips in the past and we weren't even DVC members then.... now that we are it makes it easier to do a 2br or treehouse opposed to renting 2 or 3 rooms....

Doug7856
07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
We gave away a short stay in a studio once. Last Thanksgiving we hosted my family at SSR and this Thanksgiving we are hosting my wife's family at the THV. We have tentative plans for hosting friends for a week during summer 2011.

wilma-bride
07-13-2009, 04:52 AM
I voted 'other' because we took family with us on our last trip and stayed in a 2-bed but we would have had to stay in a 2-bed anyway because of our family size. However, we have booked a 1-night stay at BLT for the end of our October trip and used our points to get an extra room for the friends we are travelling with. They rented points for the first 10 nights, which were transferred to our account, but the points didn't cover the accommodation we ended up booking. I wouldn't dream of asking them to contribute extra though.

goofy4tink
07-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I voted 'other'. I have gone with close friends who would not allow me to 'treat' them. So I had to figure out what the cost would be based on $10 a point for her room.
But, I like to take friends along and have them not pay towards the room. For instance, I usually get a studio for myself or myself and my dd. But, I'm headed down in Dec and taking a friend with me. She hasn't been to WDW in about 12 years. I'll be getting a one bedroom villa at BW. She asked how much she owed me for the room, I told her nothing, it was taken care of. I am not going to nickel and dime my friends. Now, I'm sure she will buy drinks or something along the way, which is fine.

BEASLYBOO
07-13-2009, 09:39 AM
We have always shared our DVC with friends and family. We've been fortunate to host 3 family reunions, all in OKW GV's, and only through DVC could I have afforded such wonderful accomodations, truly fabulous. When I offer to share there is never an expectation of any kind of compensation but most friends and family show their appreciation by buying food or a dinner here and there. The flexibility of DVC is what makes it work, you reserve what you need to suit your party size!

GoofyKevin
07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Last month we made our first trip as DVC members and we used our points to get a 2br at SSR for my family and my sister's family and a separate studio for my dad. It was great to have a family reunion at Disney and I was happy to be able to provide the group with the rooms.

pyrxtc
07-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I voted that I give them out, but that is oly if I invited them. If they want to invite themselves to go with me or ask me to provide a room when I'm not there, they will be paying the $10 a point. I also will not borrow from the next use year to do it. I have to have current points available. I have rented points to my friends and it worked out well and when my MIL told me she wanted to go this coming January and I have no points left in this use year (1 bed to a 2 bed) I told her we could rent some from someone and have them transfered or buy some to use each time, she bought 50 to add to our pot on the basis that I book a room big enough for her to go ever time the family goes.

get_us_to_WDW
07-13-2009, 10:23 AM
I like to think of DVC as our vacation "home" - for us to enjoy and also share with family and friends. We have hosted many family members and friends since becoming members. Having traveled to WDW so many times, bringing family members and friends is a great way to enhance a trip - make it more special, unique and memorable. I really think I get more enjoyment out of these invitations than my guests!! It's a win-win.

rowbear
07-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I guess I am the odd stingy one. But then we bought into DVC to gaurantee that we would get the heck away from family every Christmas. We don't speak to my MIL and SIL. DH's father is a workaholic and vacation is not in his vocabulary and to take my family would NOT be fun. Plus we can only vacation at Christmas so I couldn't take my parents and my 3 young,14,9, and 5 yo siblings because I would be taking them away from my older siblings with kids and well we don't get along at all either so its not like I would invite them.
I know way more info then you wanted BUT I am 31 with 3 kids a wonderful husband and a successful business. We have worked our butts off and sacrificed a ton to be where we are today and honestly family expects way too much from us as is. We are the only responsible ones in either of our families. If I open the door to invites they will come crashing in with their hands out for more and expect me to foot hte bill for everything because I can. So I will keep it less complicated and use my points to make sure my kids have a great time.

Nothing wrong with that. We all have different stories. I would never take my FiL back to Disney. We took him in 2002 and he complained the entire time. So it is not like I offer free lodging to all family.

Our points are for us first and if we can take family and it makes our trip nicer we do otherwise they can take care of their own vacation.

DopeyDave
07-13-2009, 11:21 AM
"Other"

We have one account with DVC, however, I only own about 60% of the points, with my mom and sister owning about 20% each. We all generally use our own points for visits, and bank & borrow with each other before 'officially' banking/borrowing through Disney. When we go down together, we work out some agreement on splitting the cost. Sometimes evenly, sometimes by percentages. But also, sometimes my mom gives my other sister her points to visit.

rowbear
07-13-2009, 12:19 PM
"Other"

We have one account with DVC, however, I only own about 60% of the points, with my mom and sister owning about 20% each. We all generally use our own points for visits, and bank & borrow with each other before 'officially' banking/borrowing through Disney. When we go down together, we work out some agreement on splitting the cost. Sometimes evenly, sometimes by percentages. But also, sometimes my mom gives my other sister her points to visit.

That sounds complicated but whatever works for you.

rkwier
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok, I admit it, I am stingy with my points also. Actually, at this point, the only people even aware that we own DVC are just DH and I. (No flames please.) This is for two reasons - 1) we are verrrry private about our financial decisions and 2) it would cause a world of issues on both sides of our family.

My DMIL owns 12, yes 12, weeks in another timeshare in Orlando that we have no interest in. She is very proud of her purchase and sees it as a legacy for her kids and grandkids. She would be extremely hurt that we chose to purchase elsewhere. We have learned on several occasions that we and DBIL do NOT travel well together as well.

Family pettiness on my side would make it a nightmare of "you invited them but not us" or "you invited them first you must love them the most." It is just not worth going there. We purchased enough points to stay in a 1-BR for a week each year, so there is not a whole lot to share anyways.

Now, I may repent and invite someone in the future, but for now I am enjoying every point that I can use.

Bowen9475
07-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I voted other. We have taken a variety of DVC trips since we became members. On our first trip ever in 2002 our kids were 7, 4 and 1. We could have gotten away with a 1BR but we invited my MIL to come with us so we got a 2BR. We banked our first years points knowing this was what we wanted to do. In the fall of 2005 we booked another 2BR. My niece and her 2 kids joined us on this trip so we again planned ahead to have points available to do this. With the number of points we own we will continue to invite certain people to stay with us but I doubt that we would ever book accomodations for others to stay if we weren't going to be there also.

starbox
07-13-2009, 07:45 PM
I've taken my parents to Disney five times (four using DVC). We have always paid for their room and meals. I can't even imagine asking my parents to pay.

Now my brother....... he can get his OWN points!:rotfl::rotfl:

PSC
07-13-2009, 08:06 PM
We're fortunate enough to be able to invite family and friends to visit with us (although not every time). It's really fun to see the sites through new eyes. We'll continue to invite guests until grandchildren come along. Hopefully by then the brother/sister and in-laws will have "seen the light" and will own their own DVC contracts for extended vacations/reunions. As we live 400 miles away from our families, DVC has allowed us to share great times! We only wish we had become members sooner!

Donald is #1
07-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Ok, I admit it, I am stingy with my points also. Actually, at this point, the only people even aware that we own DVC are just DH and I. (No flames please.) This is for two reasons - 1) we are verrrry private about our financial decisions and 2) it would cause a world of issues on both sides of our family.

My DMIL owns 12, yes 12, weeks in another timeshare in Orlando that we have no interest in. She is very proud of her purchase and sees it as a legacy for her kids and grandkids. She would be extremely hurt that we chose to purchase elsewhere. We have learned on several occasions that we and DBIL do NOT travel well together as well.

Family pettiness on my side would make it a nightmare of "you invited them but not us" or "you invited them first you must love them the most." It is just not worth going there. We purchased enough points to stay in a 1-BR for a week each year, so there is not a whole lot to share anyways.

Now, I may repent and invite someone in the future, but for now I am enjoying every point that I can use.

I can definitely see your point! I have been lucky that my sisters are afraid of imposing on me so that I actually have to encourage them to come with me and also we vacation well together. OK to me honest we vacation well with each other within reason. I usually have a solo trip planned that I can look forward to so that when I invite my sisters or take their kids I can focus the trip on them. But if they gave me any grief what so ever, I would be in the place you are. The only difficult person that I have to deal with is my mother who wants me to take her but is too ill to travel plus (more importantly) is a pain in the you know what.

DVC4me4Ever
07-13-2009, 10:30 PM
We have taken family with us quite a few times but I have never given away the points without us being part of the travel party. We have taken my DM and DF to WDW, HHI and even an exchange we made with II to Las Vegas. We have also taken my DB and DSIL to WDW and HHI. We have also allowed our DD to take a friend with her a few times. Once to WDW, once to HHI and believe it or not, once she even took a friend on a DCL Members cruise in 2005.

Even though I think we have been very generous with our points there are many times we prefer to just vacation with our family (which includes DH and DD).

It is funny how people vacation differently. There are people who vacation just like us and many that do not. As with all of us, our vacation time is precious and we don't want to feel it was not the best time it could have been. Therefore, we do limit how many times and who we take with us.

Starr W.
07-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Our points are just for us. My sister is the "Trip Killer" and no way would DH even consider taking his sister's family.

rowbear
07-14-2009, 09:05 AM

Again. Nothing wrong with that. If taking family causes problems or hinders your enjoyment then don't take them. I have family I would never dream of taking. My father's new wife is a very rude and crude person that I would strangle if I had to be exposed to her for extended periods of time.

wideeyedwonder
07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Add us to the "other" camp. We are new to DVC, and haven't yet made our first trip "home".

Our first TWO trips "home" will be with two other families, staying in a 2BR lock-off. We ended up buying enough points to to be able to do two trips to DLR each year, each with another family (either freinds or family).

We are charging each family for the nights, but less than the point rental cost. That way, we get some relief on our yearly maintanance fees, and they get a very nice room with a kitchen, on DLR property, at a greatly reduced rate...win-win for all involved.

And, when it's time to seperate the two families, there's the lock-off!

At least that's the theory, we'll see how well that works in practice come late September! :rotfl:

In addition, we bought additional points, enough so that we could (potentially) donate two studio nights at the GCVs to our elementary school's yearly fundraising auction.

BirdsOfPreyDave
07-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Family and friends are expected to buy their own park tickets, pick up their own restaurant checks, and split the grocery order. We don't charge them anything for their rooms, though. We added extra points to allow us to invite friends and family to join us. It's part of what makes the vacation fun.

Now, if someone staying with us feels inclined to pick up a dinner check or buy a round of drinks, we don't put up an argument. Some recent guests bought us a souvineer from World of Disney, and that was cool, too.

KodakFigment
07-15-2009, 07:30 PM
OH NO!:eek: After reading all of this I'm wondering of we committed a really big faux pas. BIL & SIL invited us to go with them to BCV this year. It never crossed our minds that they would treat. When we brought up paying them for the points they looked at us like we were crazy. I bulldozed on and insisted on buying the airfare, a special Hoop De Doo dinner and a Segway tour for all of us. They went along, but sounded disappointed that we wouldn't let them treat. I guess I never thought of it the way you are all presenting it. Do you think we pushed too hard? Would your feelings have been hurt?:confused: We're so excited about the joint trip, I don't want to start out on a bad note.

*KeepMovingForward*
07-15-2009, 10:02 PM
We've given our developers points to family to use, but that was a one time thing and only because we had already stayed at Saratoga and didn't have a burning desire to go back. Now we just try to convince family and friends to buy into DVC on their own. As it is I try and stretch our points to the max and eek out as many trips as possible for us each year. We're always happy to have family at WDW with us, but we leave them on their own for their accomodations. We do have timeshares off property, which I basically will allow anyone to use that asks me...but I hoarde my DVC.

christa112
07-16-2009, 08:05 AM
We are new owners and I am not sure what we will do. I am thinking I will ask for a small amount of $ at least to pay for some our monthly payments. Our kids our still young, so I wont be needing to let them use it for at least 15 yrs.

ILuvTigger
07-16-2009, 12:51 PM
We do not charge our family or friends. We are taking dh's family this year for christmas (AKV Kidani). We (dh, dd, ds and I) are staying in a 2 bedroom dedicated savanna view, fil, mil, gramil, sil, her dh, and their 3 kids are staying in a 2 bedroom dedicated standard, and bil, his dh, and their 2 kids are staying in a standard studio. If you invite, you should take care of the lodging (of course all other costs are on them), but if it is their idea, that is a different story....I wouldn't take money, but they should do something nice for you. :)

jpeka65844
07-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Now that we have DVC, we can't imagine NOT going with friends or family. We have the points to get the room, why not give that out?

When push comes to shove, we just ask the people for "what sounds fair" If it's $50, fine, if it's $500, fine. Therefore I voted for "give lodging away"

We're taking a family in January who typically stay at Values. It's getting difficult for them, especially now that their family is getting larger and they have to (ahem) FIB to get everyone in one room. They're very excited!!!

Of all the trips we've taken (and the ones we have planned), there's only been ONE trip that's been entirely on our own. All the others have included family and/or friends. And we LIKE it that way!!!

Disney_Mama
07-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I voted "just for us" because that is what our vacations have been so far. My DH did take some of his friends for a golf weekend and they did not pay for the room. We are always asking my parent to come along but so far they have not come. When they do we will use our points to get a bigger room. As for the rest of our family...... Don't want to vacation with them:lmao:

theww228
07-16-2009, 04:25 PM
My DMIL watches our DD 2 days a week and doesn't want paid for her help, so we decided to get enough points that DIL's can always go when we do. We pay for their AP's and their lodging, so they are on the hook for their food and airfare. Best of all everyone thinks this works out great. My in-laws love Disney (they have been going for 30+ years), so they think they are making out like a bandit and I feel like we can give them a small token of our appreciation for their help.

For everyone else... my points are my points! We only have enough points for 2 rooms for a little over a week every year.

Pig Pen
07-17-2009, 02:59 PM
We sometimes invite others and have also given points for gifts ($200 WDW gift card and 24 points for 3 nights in an OKW studio to DS and his wife). We have done everything from sharing a studio with DD28, to renting a 2br for a party of 8.

Everyone is always impressed with the accomodations.

HOWEVER, too much togetherness gets old after awhile. For our upcoming trip we are inviting NO ONE, and visiting NO ONE while in FL. We are fibbing a little...telling people we are going on a cruise (we are, but just 3 nights on the Wonder) since we know that most of the relatives do not have passports. What they don't know is that we are also staying 8 nights at BLT...:rolleyes1

FindTheMickeys
07-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Since I have purchased my DVC home, I have taken family or friends every year, and plan on continuing to do so for as long as I can. I never charge anyone for the accomodations but everyone has always ponied up for at least one meal during our trip... I also have another motive.. I am single and don't like to travel alone. PLUS I love to be the giver and watch everyone's faces light up at the sight of the villas!:goodvibes

toniosmom
07-17-2009, 04:13 PM
When I purchased my DVC membership last year, I had the intention of inviting people to come with us every time. This past spring it worked out that we went alone - just me and my 4 year old son. It was the BEST vacation ever. We did whatever we wanted to do when we wanted to do it. We did nothing by the clock. It was wonderful.

Next spring, we will be traveling with my parents, niece 18 + BF, niece 9. I am not asking for any money from them for the lodging. On the money issue, however, if I were in a financial position where I could use the extra money to help pay for MFs (or risk losing my DVC), I would take it if offered.

After saying all of that, I want to reiterate that I do not feel obligated to take anyone with us on future vacations. It is OUR vacation to do with as we wish. I'm sure we will have future trips where we will have others with us and many where we don't. The most important thing is that we create great (stress-free) memories.....which is why I will never invite specific people to join us.

toniosmom
07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Our points are just for us. My sister is the "Trip Killer" and no way would DH even consider taking his sister's family.

Your sister might be related to MY sister. :laughing:

bobbiwoz
07-18-2009, 11:50 AM
OH NO!:eek: After reading all of this I'm wondering of we committed a really big faux pas. BIL & SIL invited us to go with them to BCV this year. It never crossed our minds that they would treat. When we brought up paying them for the points they looked at us like we were crazy. I bulldozed on and insisted on buying the airfare, a special Hoop De Doo dinner and a Segway tour for all of us. They went along, but sounded disappointed that we wouldn't let them treat. I guess I never thought of it the way you are all presenting it. Do you think we pushed too hard? Would your feelings have been hurt?:confused: We're so excited about the joint trip, I don't want to start out on a bad note.

Wow! I've never charged or expected anything from friends/family whom we invite. However, if in the end, we accepted your generous offers, I wouldn't feel bulldozed, but looking forward to this vacations with generous family members. Maybe you'll like DVC enough to buy into it yourselves!

Bobbi:goodvibes

TreesyB
07-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Normally we just get the kind of room we want. It's just DS (9) and I so, studio or 1 br would do for us. I like the 1 BR for the kitchen space.

But this coming trip, I've invited my family just so I can justify the THV stay, which is going to be a treat. It just seemed decadent to stay at a THV which accomodates 9 when it's just the two of us. And I also want to treat my parents to Disney, as they have a place in Ft.Myers, and never go to Orlando. And my dad has never been to Disney. :)

But if they don't come, I'd still go with just DS and I :rotfl: I just want to stay at THV.

Chim Chiminy
07-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I voted that they can come, but have to rent points, but that is only partially true.

My BIL's and our friends always insist on paying for the points used, which I charge them per point.
My parents and two brothers, on the trips we supplied the room, they didn't pay us for the room.
Doesn't much matter now though, since my parents bought their own points.

Donald is #1
07-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Normally we just get the kind of room we want. It's just DS (9) and I so, studio or 1 br would do for us. I like the 1 BR for the kitchen space.

But this coming trip, I've invited my family just so I can justify the THV stay, which is going to be a treat. It just seemed decadent to stay at a THV which accomodates 9 when it's just the two of us. And I also want to treat my parents to Disney, as they have a place in Ft.Myers, and never go to Orlando. And my dad has never been to Disney. :)

But if they don't come, I'd still go with just DS and I :rotfl: I just want to stay at THV.

LOL... I know who you feel except that I haven't figured out a way to get the numbers to work for me. In my case, I would love to stay in a GV sometime (particularly AKV), but I can't find a way to justify it. Even of my youngest sister and her family come, all I need is a 2 bedroom. My other sister isn't that interested in WDW and neither is her son. :scared1:

But one of these days I'll figure out a way to justify it.

Anal Annie
07-18-2009, 06:30 PM
We offered to plan a trip for extended family this summer but nobody would commit to the date back in January when we were booking it. So I voted OTHER simply bcuz we WOULD but haven't YET...

justloveit
07-18-2009, 10:24 PM
We have taken extended family with us and stayed in a 2 BR. When we take family, we pay for food also, they just have to pay for airfare and park tickets. DD has had friends come along, and we do the same for them. That's why we enjoy DVC so much, the flexibility of accomodations and the ability to share the magic make priceless memories!

ILuvTigger
07-19-2009, 03:48 AM
LOL... I know who you feel except that I haven't figured out a way to get the numbers to work for me. In my case, I would love to stay in a GV sometime (particularly AKV), but I can't find a way to justify it. Even of my youngest sister and her family come, all I need is a 2 bedroom. My other sister isn't that interested in WDW and neither is her son. :scared1:

:rotfl: I am the same way. We are a family of 4 and want to stay at THV, and AKV grand villas. When we bring family, we get them seperate rooms, I love my privacy. I am ok booking the 4 of us at THV, but can't justify AKV GV's. LOL

quirty30
07-19-2009, 03:56 AM

Tell you what, my kids and I will join you and then you can justify the grand villa. My grandma was born and raised in NH; we're probably long lost cousins. We can even call it a grand gathering :rotfl:

gtrist4life
07-19-2009, 08:10 AM
We became members in 2003 with sharing in mind. Our plan was to take every other trip with just our family, and then alternate giving points to my side, DW's side, and friends. We pick up lodging, everything else is up to guests, So far it's worked out pretty well. Here's a summary

2004 - Hilton Head - Our family
2005 - Boardwalk - Our family, my mom, and my sister's family
2005 - Disneyland - Our family
2007 - Vero Beach and Boardwalk - Our family, DW's parents, and her brother and his wife
2007 - Saratoga Springs - Our family
2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Me and DW
2008 - Boardwalk - Our family, and our really good friends family
2009 - Vero Beach and Animal Kingdom Lodge - Our family
2010 - Boardwalk - Our family, DD's friends (College Graduation!), and yet to be determined. It may be DW's late sister's kids, BIL and friend or it may be my Brother and his wife or some other lucky relatives:grouphug:

Only issue is that we need more points! We're always borrowing, but we've done pretty well for the 180 points we have.

Donald is #1
07-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Tell you what, my kids and I will join you and then you can justify the grand villa. My grandma was born and raised in NH; we're probably long lost cousins. We can even call it a grand gathering :rotfl:

:goodvibes

corpcomp
07-19-2009, 11:09 AM
We don't even tell the family about it.

Several years ago we bought a investment vacation home in the Outer Banks and when my wife told the extended family, within a day they were lining up asking for free summer weeks there. We advised them that since we have to rent it to cover the mortgage, we could not afford to give it away to relatives. Several stopped talking to us as a result.

Tarheel Tink
07-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I've given lots points to friends and family over the years. And they're great to use as wedding gifts, if the couple want to go to WDW for their honeymoon. I've never charged for a guest, but they usually do buy a nice dinner out or a dinner show, depending upon their financial situaton. They do all have to pay for their own park tickets and meals.

Ditto! We have taken friends/family about 7 times. One time our dear friends accompanied us and did not offer a meal or anything but 2 weeks after our return they gave us a new computer for Christmas! :banana: Just their company was gift enough, but WOW!

rowbear
07-19-2009, 03:36 PM

No way. When we take family that have to be in their own space. I like taking family but as DVCers we have a very different idea of a Disney vacation experience. I don't want them thinking we are going to do everything together because we will not be. If they want to get up and out early I don't want them disturbing me. We plan group activities and we will even do park things together to a degree but I am not going to be subjected to someone's ride hit list. They are buying their own park passes so they need to get whatever value they want to get without me slowing them down. I get to go a lot more regularly so rushing around the parks and standing in long lines is not really necessary.

photobob
07-19-2009, 09:02 PM
We made honeymoon reservations for my son for three weeks from today at Vero Beach on our points. I don't know that that will become a habit. They will be welcomed to travel with us and we'll upgrade our room size to accommodate them. I don't have a large contract so I don't think we'll be sending them on solo trips.

Maistre Gracey
07-19-2009, 09:50 PM
No way. When we take family that have to be in their own space. I like taking family but as DVCers we have a very different idea of a Disney vacation experience. I don't want them thinking we are going to do everything together because we will not be. If they want to get up and out early I don't want them disturbing me. We plan group activities and we will even do park things together to a degree but I am not going to be subjected to someone's ride hit list. They are buying their own park passes so they need to get whatever value they want to get without me slowing them down. I get to go a lot more regularly so rushing around the parks and standing in long lines is not really necessary. This is precisely how I feel. That said, we don't mind if people come and go from our accommodations. We have a cottage and GV booked for October with several branches of both sides of the family coming and going. We encourge everyone to come and go as they please, and we'll meet for dinner or drinks later on. Even that's optional.
Point is we feel we can have that flexibility and still stay under one roof. I hope I'm right.

MG

DVC Mary
07-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I'd like to add another choice to this poll. "If it's only 1-2 people & they'll fit in the accomodation we were already planning, then it's fine."

If we have to rent an entire additional room for people, then we charge a reduced rental fee.

If it's someone close to us that we get along w/ well, then we've had them stay w/ us. For example, we've taken grandmas individually, BIL, close friend, AND they fit in the room size we were planning studios or 1 BRs.

We don't have a huge contract & we are a middle class family raising kids, saving for college, etc. . . . . you know the drill.

My only exception to this is if my relatives EVER come from Ireland I'll splurge for rooms, GV, whatever just to make it happen. If they come all that way, then it's on me. When we've gone there they go out of their way to treat us to a fantastic time & we return that joy when they visit Chicago.

Will my attitude change some day? Sure when the kids are grown & we are financially more stable. We've told DSs that when they are h.s/college age, they can start bringing a friend, but the friend has to pay for their airfare & park passes. We'll get a bigger room & cover meals.

alldiz
07-20-2009, 06:40 AM
I haven't owned long enough....or have enough points to give any away....Of course Mom comes with us....but I don't think that counts.
Kerri

disney4metoo
07-20-2009, 11:44 AM
-We have booked at AKV Concierge room for my sis for three days.

-I have a GV booked for two nights our family (4) plus six of my son's friends at VGC.

-Christmas time for a two nights at VCG with my mom and our family.

-Years ago, when we were much younger my sis used her timeshare for us and now I am please to be able to bless her after all these years!
She will use her timeshare for a week in Orlando and then add the three days AKV Concierge to her stay!

I would love to give out a few nights at VGC to a teacher at my son's high school. He works so hard for the high school kids and I know it would bless him and his family.

I just wish I had more points to give them out to more people; I guess it time for another add-on! :)

preedymtnwest
07-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I purchased DVC last year for several reasons:

1) I love to go to Disney!!!
2) I like the option of "nicer" (and larger) accommodations.
3) I was excited that one was going to open on the west coast finally (I'm a Washingtonian).
4) Oh, and did I mention that I LOVE to go to Disney?

Anyway, during a Christmas 2007 trip to WDW (first one with both the DSs), we went to the DVC pitch and I was hooked. My DM had passed away just a few weeks before, and I knew she wasn't going to be needing the stocks we were holding for her. With both my parents gone, and my DSis and I sharing a love of Disney, it seemed appropriate to splurge with some of my unattached wealth on DVC so that we could keep my family's tradition of vacation-taking alive. :yay:

Since my DSis and her DH (also a Disney-lover) are not in the same financial situation, we are happy to be able to extend our vacations to include them and their DD and DS. The 8 of us travel well together and we had a fun first DVC trip Feb. 2009 to BCV and a 3-day DCL. We had to borrow points and buy some extras to do it all, but it was worth it. They paid for their airfare, food at WDW, park tickets, and rental car.

This coming Feb (2010), we're going to extend the family even farther and invite our one and only cousin and his family to our new home, VGC (they live in San Jose) and we'll have a GV for 3 nights while they are with us. My cousin, his DW, my DSis and I were first at DL together in 1968, so it will be our first time there together in 42 years! It's a splurge on points again (though not as much as last year!), but it will be worth it to share these experiences with them. We provide the lodging; they pay for everything else for themselves. I love being able to do that. :love:

My DSis will reciprocate by giving us lodging at an Oregon oceanfront timeshare of my parents that she has taken over the maintenance on. It all works out in the end.

I don't know if we'll always travel together, but it's nice to know that I have the means to offer if I want to, and the option to house us all together!:grouphug:

P.S. Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to get my DVC resort logos to work in my signature??? :confused3

Donald is #1
07-21-2009, 07:44 PM
P.S. Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to get my DVC resort logos to work in my signature??? :confused3

Looking at your signature, you are almost there. Just change the second "[ i m g ]" (note that I added spaces so that the text would show) to "[ / i m g]" i.e. you are missing a slash "/" on the second "img".

disney4metoo
07-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Did you get your signature to work?

BBG-BLT
07-21-2009, 07:52 PM
We gave away all of our 300 incentive points. 80 some odd to our Nanny for a 4 day trip for her and her boyfriend July 4th week (studio)

and the rest to another family that are going to go the same time we are (9/26-10/3) 1BR SSR.

We're so happy they're going with us and happy we could give some away - I love Disney magic and am very happy to share.