PDA

View Full Version : Garden Grill Dinner?

Carmell226
07-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't ever see reviews for this on the reviews board, I would like to hear from folks who have been there. Was it good? How was the character interactions? The menu on allears looks good but I have never heard much about it.
Oh..and please tell me what the vegetarian option is :)

tammyandtommy
07-10-2009, 05:30 PM
We loved this restaurant on our last trip, the character interaction was great! My daughter thinks its amazing that the waiters can remember where you sit as the room revolves! :0) Cant help with the vegetarian aspect, but as for ambiance, food and characters, we think it recieves an A

budbeerlady
07-14-2009, 03:11 PM
When were last there is was a ratatouille, very good. Its been 2 years though since we are there!

bronny
07-14-2009, 03:16 PM
When were last there is was a ratatouille, very good. Its been 2 years though since we are there!

We were there 2 years ago, I had veggie option and I think it was ratatouille.

Quiksilvr
07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
My wife and I went to Garden Grill in October 2007 and had a somewhat disappointing experience from a culinary perspective but a great experience from a "character interaction" perspective. I had very fond memories of this restaurant from trips in the late 1990s and very early 2000s, and expectations were high for the return visit during our honeymoon. The menu seemed somewhat limited compared to what I remembered, and the food was okay, but nothing spectacular. It just wasn't as good as I remembered. We haven't been back to GG on several trips since then.

Our character interaction experience was just the opposite. The characters (Mickey, Chip and Dale) went out of their way to spend time with us and have some fun at our expense. Perhaps they spent more time with us because of our "Just Married" buttons, but either way, it made the experience a pleasant-enough memory that it overpowered my disappointment with the fare.

I am a fan of the revolving restaurant concept though, and this restaurant is great in that respect.

mmtska
07-14-2009, 05:58 PM
We were at the GG in June. I thought the food was really good. I can't help you with the vegetarian choice, but the other food was really good! I loved the potatoes that came on the regular menu. The character interaction was great! Well except for Dale. We were there for an hour, and he never came by. We were done and there wasn't really a point to stick around, and since we didn't have kids, it wasn't a huge deal. They spent a decent amount of time with each of the tables. Mickey stayed for quite a long time actually. The revolution of the restaurant is fun too. Seeing all of the landscapes is cool. I really do like the GG!

tractortippin
07-14-2009, 06:06 PM
We were there last Sept and it was one of the best for Character interaction. DS2 got more time w/ Characters at this location than any other. If you ask him who he wants to eat w/ yr this is his 1st pick!

Now...we thought the food was just "ok" and the service was really slow.

But we went specifically for the characters and they were A+++++

abish19
07-14-2009, 06:29 PM
We ate at the Garden Grill in Jan. 2009, and it was wonderful. Our server was very attentive (without being overly so), the characters came to our table several times each, posing for pictures, acting silly, etc. The food was not bad, but maybe not the very best I've ever eaten, either. I remember that dessert was a bread pudding that we requested seconds on! The "adult" food (served family style) was superior to the "kids" food, which included chicken nuggets, fries, and macaroni and cheese (which we all agreed was kind of revolting.)

We would absolutely come back to the Garden Grill. We were never rushed, always attended to, loved the characters, and enjoyed the food and the unique atmosphere.

Good luck with your plans!

eyor44
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
We really enjoyed it. The food was great, even the kids stuff. and the character interaction was wonderful. We saw each character at least twice (and the room was rather full) and they all spent time at our table. Mickey even took DD's kids sheet and challenged DS13 to a game on the word search. Mickey won of course and he agreed with us that DS needs to study harder in English. It was a lot of fun.

danielle782001
07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
We were there just this past Friday night and we had a really great experience...The salad was excellent, the bread was good, the dinner offerings were very fresh and done well...Nothing fancy but very good none the less...I loved the blueberry pie dessert but DH did not because he does not like any kind of pie so no dessert for him...The kids loved the dirt and worms dessert....Character interaction was terrific...The characters came to our table twice and spent a fair amount of time with the kids...It is a bit on the expensive side if you are paying OOP but if you are on the dining plan it is very much worth the trip!

bratmomma
07-14-2009, 08:03 PM
My family did GG in Sept 05. I found it to be "average". Nothing really special or extraordinary, but nothing bad either. The food was average. My DH is a picky eater so he wasn't a big fan of the family style dining. He would rather stick with his plain carbs red meats and dairy. lol

I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it, but we won't repeat there, it just wasn't magical enough for us.

rluey29
07-14-2009, 08:14 PM
We did GG this June and was pleasantly surprised. I was not expecting much but it was a great time.

CharacterFan
07-14-2009, 09:29 PM
I love it. I've eaten there 7 times in the 3 years. Well maybe more, but 7 for sure. I stalked online ADRs for weeks until I was able to get an opening on my birthday

They have changed the menu, so I don't eat there as often as I used to (sometimes twice in one week), but it's still somewehre I visit every trip. I've never found a better place to meet Mickey Mouse, and the food is amazing. I love the apple dessert they have in fall and the bread thing they have sometimes. There is only one dessert that I don't like and I'm hoping they don't have it in August when I go is the berry thing. It's pretty much a fried a pastry with powered sugar and some fruit on the plate.

Ronni
07-14-2009, 11:31 PM
I hit Garden Grill every single time I go to WDW. I LOVE it. The characters are always great, the food is OMG amazing, and the revolving restaurant is just super cool. Garden Grill is where I first met Mickey Mouse, so it holds good memories for that reason.

The past three times I've gone, the menu was different every time. But no less delicious. The veggies are fresh and the meat is tasty. I've never had a bad experience there.

I am going next month as well. Again, it's not a true WDW trip if I don't get Garden Grill. :)

Mommytobree
07-15-2009, 12:08 AM
We ate there this past trip. The characters were chip and dale, mickey and Pluto. Food was good, I thought, and the dessert was YUMMY! Character interaction was great! Chip (or Dale lol) was teasing my 13 year old son and actually got him to get up and pose for a picture-something I had been unable to do at a character meal up till that point! My only complaint was that I was on the upper level and could not really see the views of the land as the restaurant rotated. Other than that-perfect. I would definately go again!

joannem
07-15-2009, 01:14 PM
We ate there at the end of June and loved it. The turkey was SOOO moist. We asked for more turkey and stuffing! The grape tomatoes in the salad were the best ones I ever had. I normally don't eat them, but I had to try time and they were SOOO sweet. Dessert was a warm blueberry cobbler. It was served in a cast iron pan with fresh whipped cream on top. It was delicious and not overly sweet.

The main characters my boys wanted to see on this trip were Chip and Dale, so Garden Grill was a must for us. They LOVED it and Dale got my youngest to take a picture with Mickey! (That was no easy feat, he was VERY scared of him!) You can read about it here:

Epcot trip report - with Garden Grill dinner (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=32641181#post32641181)

jenjersnap
07-15-2009, 01:57 PM
My family enjoys GG very much though it's harder to work in since they eliminated lunch.

MartDM
07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I put a similar inquiry up not long ago and the consensus of responses were pretty much the same as here:

Character interaction can't be beat
Service is very good
Food rated everything from "ok" to "excellent"

We're going to give it a try with our two year old. As with any character meal/buffet situation, we aren't expecting any culinary treats but if it's reasonably tasty & the character experience is all it's cracked up to be, we'll be very pleased!

littlelaura
07-16-2009, 08:32 AM
can the kids eat the adult food. we have booked this for our upcoming trip. can ds eat the turkey and potatoes that come on the platter, or is he restricted to the nuggets and mac-cheese

danielle782001
07-16-2009, 09:23 AM
can the kids eat the adult food. we have bboked this for our upcoming trip. can ds eat the turkey and potatoes that come on the platter, or is he restricted to the nuggets and mac-cheese

Everyone at the table can eat everything...Adults can eat kid selections and kids can eat adult selections...It is great!!!!

bradyloganmom
07-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Garden Grill is a MUST DO for our family. The food is good, the atmosphere is relaxing, and the characters are GREAT!!!

marciemi
07-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Chip (or Dale lol) was teasing my 13 year old son and actually got him to get up and pose for a picture-something I had been unable to do at a character meal up till that point!

You mean like this? :rotfl:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/marciemi/2007trip/Epcot/IMG_0937.jpg

Chip got all three of my teenaged boys to get up and be silly with him!

This time it's just DS16 and I going, and although I know we won't get (or probably need) the kids' meal options, we are still going to ask for the "decorate your own" cupcakes at the end! ;)

Missytara
07-16-2009, 10:49 AM
One of the guys I work with just got back with his wife and two recently adopted granddaughters. They are 4-1/2 and 6-1/2. They stayed at CR and did the character breakfast at Chef Mickey's and the character dinner at the Garden Grill. He said the girls got a real kick out of it. He too commented how he cannot imagine how the servers remember where the tables are located as they turn! Must be fun during training sessions!