PDA

View Full Version : Ayone else get comments for being DVC members??

LisaZ1113
07-08-2009, 02:16 PM
My DFH and myself became proud owners at BLT while on vacation in december.

Sometimes I find myself WANTING to tell someone about it, but past reactions stop me..
A co worker said to me "well it must be nice to be rich" :rolleyes:...Ummm..I would not know, because we are NOT!!!

So in light of being portrayed as "snobby", I find myself hiding the fact that we are DVC owners. Anyone else? :confused:

Alexander
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't usually tell people right out that we are members. I have a member jacket that I wear a lot and people usually ask me. DS's allergist asked and told us how he was and we ended up having a 30 minute long conversation about where he should stay on his next visit. Then I was at a different school in May and one of the teachers also asked and told me how he was a member, and how they were going in July for their anniversary, staying at SSR, etc....

Other people that we know realize that we visit WDW 3-4 times a year and wonder how we can do it, and I tell them that we are DVC members, and shake my hand like it is no big deal, and tell them we don't have to pay for our accomodations.

PS--What is DFH? I can think of lots of things it could stand for: Dear Fat Head, Dear Favorite Hubby, Dear Fat Hubby! I'm not familiar with that one-DFH

arthur06
07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I have a couple of close friends who I work with that say things! We just joined a few weeks ago and I told them today! One lady I work with really supports me! Anyway, one friend says "don't go too much, cause we want to go in 4 years when the kids are older..." "...jeez, I wish I made as much as you to afford that..."

Granted, I have a position that is well paid for where I work and live, but I put myself in that situation... Also, this is the guy who spends $100's a month on buying football cards on EBAY!

My other friend asked why I would want to go in Oct..."the middle of hurricane season..." And "why would you want to go to F&W...eepecially when the concerts are of crappy people!"

But...I have that rare ability to not give a #@i^ what others think. If I want to spend MY money on MY family, having great, lasting memories...then thats what I'll do.

Cajun28
07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
PS--What is DFH? I can think of lots of things it could stand for: Dear Fat Head, Dear Favorite Hubby, Dear Fat Hubby! I'm not familiar with that one-DFH

Dear Future Husband, maybe???

chepic
07-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I am a chatter box, and one only has to mention Disney and I start flapping my gums about owning at OKW, and how much joy it has given me...yahda yahda...and if I get any negative comments like it must be nice to have money, I just smile and say "yeah, it is great to own Disney." I don't let other people weigh me down when it comes to that! Stand proud!

cheryl

LisaZ1113
07-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Dear Future Husband, maybe???

Dear future husband
Although, dear fat head sounds good!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

BEASLYBOO
07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
The few that know that I have a Disney timeshare equate it to just any old timeshare. Frankly, until I used a very nice friends DVC I didn't understand how it worked either. Then, about my 3rd trip I knew I had to become a DVC member, actually obssessed is more truthful.

I very rarely say anything, and other than my immediate family and friends who travel w/ me, it's a pretty well kept secret. At work I hear several times a year, "You're going to Disney, Again! I don't bother explaning it, I just say "Yup!"

wrighter
07-08-2009, 04:36 PM
It's interesting - and maybe it's just where I live, but - I rarely say anything to anyone about it because I actually think people look at it negatively. Almost like, "Oooh. A timeshare?!" It's like they think it's icky. Personally, I don't really care - we love it and think it was such a great investment. And I'm SO glad we did it while the kids were young.

I do talk about Disney a lot - and most people know I'm a Disney geek. I wear that on my sleeve. And even if they give me weird looks, you know who they come running to when they want information on their upcoming trips! :-)

supersuperwendy
07-08-2009, 08:22 PM
My DFH and myself became proud owners at BLT while on vacation in december.

Sometimes I find myself WANTING to tell someone about it, but past reactions stop me..
A co worker said to me "well it must be nice to be rich" :rolleyes:...Ummm..I would not know, because we are NOT!!!

So in light of being portrayed as "snobby", I find myself hiding the fact that we are DVC owners. Anyone else? :confused:

The same exact thing happened to me at work. I was showing this really nice old man I work with the new 2009 planner because he LOVES wdw. This woman walked in and loudly said .."must be nice to be rich" and walked out.

Weird.

rentayenta
07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
I was trying to explain it one day to a dear friend and she said: Oh like Wyndham. And I said just like it and changed the subject. ;)

wulfekamp
07-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I hate to tell you this but the only people that will truly understand you as a DVC member are other DVC members. My own family thinks were nuts. It has been said a thousand times. Most people don't get it. Just be happy there is DIS where you are understood.

M-I-C-K-E-Y
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Our family and friends know, and (knowing us) they support the decision. I don't usually dump the complete DVC "story" on friends at work, just little "kernels" of information. There's a good number of Disney "regulars" there, and as time goes by they ask more and more questions. One of my co-workers wandered down to my office the other day (where I keep an old spare DVC book) and he said "OK, I need to know more." Curiosity and genuine interest are their major influences. Others, many of whom have asked for assistance prior to their trips to WDW, come back and their general comment is "now I understand what DVC is, that's a great concept."

It's the old "soft sell." :thumbsup2

SamSam
07-08-2009, 09:49 PM
I have found through the years that the less said, the better. For some reason when people know you go to Disney often and own DVC, they automatically think you are rolling in money. A couple of years ago I started saying that we're going to our timeshare in Florida and for some reason people find this more reasonable.:confused3

For those that say "You're going to WDW again?", I either just look at them, or respond with "It's no different than people going to their lake house every summer, or their mountain cabin, etc.".

Like someone said, the only people that will truly understand are other DVC owners.

wdrl
07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
We bought BLT in May, but waited to tell my brother and sisters until we were all together at WDW in June for a family reunion. We were all on the ferry going from MK to the Wilderness Lodge for lunch and, as we were passing BLT, we told them "that big high rise over there" was our new home. My brother has gotten quite excited about DVC and we are planning a trip with him for the 2010 Food & Wine Festival. We've held off telling others about joining the DVC, and I don't know why. Maybe its because we don't know many people who love Disney as much as we do.

ontariomonkey
07-09-2009, 12:19 AM
I actually consider owning DVC to be our dirty little secret. What I mean by that is that I consider it to be crazy expensive and I personally am not sure we made the right decision to buy. We own another timeshare that we bought for $1500 (a repo) that gives us access to Interval International exchanges and getaways. I see the value in that! I personally do not see the value in DVC but also have not used it yet. We are going on a 7night cruise in September with 2 years worth of points. I don't get what the big deal is with DVC (someone tell me!) but DH thinks it's awesome lol.

wilma-bride
07-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Our family do not understand, with the exception of my in-laws who saw the benefit themselves when we took them to Disney with us for 2 weeks. I don't think they'd ever stayed in such luxurious accommodation and I truly believe that they thought we would be staying somewhere like Pop or All Stars where Disney was shoved in your face 24/7.

The look on my MILs face when we pulled up outside Wilderness Lodge on arrival was absolutely priceless.

As far as friends go, we have some who know but most of them are fellow Disney fanatics and they totally understand anyway.

The biggest thing I find is that when/if we do tell people, in conversation, they assume it is something which we got coerced into buying because we couldn't say 'No' to a hard sell. I don't bother to try and correct them - I know the truth and that's all that matters :thumbsup2

Cee
07-09-2009, 06:29 AM
I don't understand how we can go to the beach every year, and the lake every year, and skiing at the same mountain resort every year and yet take flak for going to WDW every year. I guess most folks think it's for kids so why, as adults, would you go there. BECAUSE WE'RE KIDS AT HEART. Okay??? Sheesh.

nunzia
07-09-2009, 07:08 AM
We are very vauge about it..our closest friends know (we have gone to Disney with them several times and they actually would be perfect for DVC but hated the one time share they had years and years ago, so I guess they still don't really get it). Other people we just say we have a kind of timeshare there...

photobob
07-09-2009, 07:13 AM
I keep it to myself especially at work. DVC is my only real extravagance. When people at work ask how I can afford to go to WDW every year I tell them that I skimp the rest of the year to be able to go.

Tink&PirateMama
07-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I've had mixed reactions from people...

First, we had a really, really negative reaction (and blog post) which I brought up here awhile back. Basicly they hated all things disney and thought I was jumping on to the 'american religion of consumerism' and bringing down the world,ruining my children's life, etc. Needless to say, that relationship did not last!

Next, I did get a 'must be nice, i could never afford that' reaction. What's funny, is that just this past week I talked to that same person about this, and they were thinking of going (have never been) and when they priced out a room at AKV, they realized that if they bought DVC how much they'd save in just a few trips. So I don't think I'll hear that again! If she thought she'd go multiple times she was feeling ready to buy herself, LOL! :rotfl:

And then I've gotten a few reactions from family who think we are nuts, because we won't want to go in a few years once our kids are older. It was then I tried to explain we could go to other places, and also that it's fun for us, not just our kids:) But I don't think they got it! And I've just dropped it.

It's interesting, because we own a cabin north of here we purchased about five years ago, and never once did I get anything negative on that in all that time. And we have owned DVC for a few months, and I've heard it all! I'm not sure what that's about! :confused3

But I also have had a few friends that were really great about it. We had a little party with the kids and lots of goodies, to celebrate our purchase, and they were all excited and happy for us:) Two friends in particular will listen to my endless decisions on where to stay with our points, etc, and haven't complained yet (true friends!). :goodvibes

No matter what anyone thinks though, what matters is our family, and WE are very happy and excited! :goodvibes

jboysen
07-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I laughed when I read the first post. My DH and I don't tell too many at home, his co-workers think he's nuts though. Our friends think we are in debt up to our eyeballs. My parents have owned for 12 years now, so we get it out of our system with them. My story goes like this, our last trip end of March/begining of April I was in the Dumbo line w/ DD3 and the woman in front of me asks if this is our first trip. I said no, this would be my DD's 4th trip. She asks if we live around here, I said no, we live in MN. She gives me a look of surprise, then I say we are DVC members. I guess she didn't like that answer because she turned around and didn't say word the next ten minutes in line to me, but chatted with the lady ahead who said it was there first trip. Even at WDW you find people who think your nuts for owning DVC!

cyndixo
07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I hear the same thing all the time to so I really dont discuss it. Work, family, neighbors all say the same thing oh my gosh you have to be rich to go to away so much......then i hear how can you go to Disney so much doesnt it get boring...... My DD and I LOVE our DVC and I am so proud to be an owner but yet I find it very difficult to discuss with people. It was funny though, I was in a training class and the instructor asked if anyone was ever on a cruise or going on a cruise and some thoughts about it or why its so special then he polled the class and my answer was going and its free. He asked me why and I said because I added on points to my DVC vacation club. He had no clue BUT to my surprise there was someone in the class who was also a DVC member so him and I sat talking about it the whole time.

Lost in Neverland
07-09-2009, 11:33 AM
The look on my MILs face when we pulled up outside Wilderness Lodge on arrival was absolutely priceless.

I know exactly where you are coming from on this. My DH has family that bought a timeshare at a property close to WDW. My MIL went with the "family" to this place and could not wait to call and tell us how wonderful it was. I looked at DH and he knew what was coming :lmao:. I "suggested " they go to Bomas for diner one evening. She called to say what a beautiful place it was and she wished that someone she knew could afford to stay there. You could hear a pin drop when we told her we had just returned from that resort and could go whenever we wanted without having to pay cash.
We also get the must be nice to be rich speaches everythime we mention going to WDW even before DVC. What people do not tend to get is if they go the beach rent a house,pay for gas to get there and food they could go to WDW and get the DDP.Hmmmm wonder who is smarter about spending their money.....:rotfl2:

FOXFIELDZOO
07-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Same comments here, from must be nice to have money, to what are you crazy taking all of you to disney every year? All that matters is that with 8 of us driving down every year is what we want to do, its an adventure for us and who cares what everybody else thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did it because we wanted too and will use it and enjoy every minute of it.

Monorail Purple&Gold
07-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I ain't skeered, and I ain't rich.

I let anyone know, don't care how they react!

Still have family that are "over us" being DVC members, and some that really want to join that don't have the means yet. We're proud and happy DVC owners! We let friends and acquaintances know just as well.

tay72699
07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
We just became members in May after tossing around the idea for over a year. We are lucky enough to know a few people that were already DVC members (quite a few at our DD's school actually), so they are more excited than anything and want to compare notes. The other's that know are not surprised since we have gone yearly for the past 8 years and when I explain how much we were spending on accomodations they understand perfectly. We do have friends that opted for Wyndham's Bonnet Creek a few years back instead of DVC, so we get a little flak from them and the sales calls from Wyndham though...gotta love caller ID:woohoo:!

MrsNick
07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
When my DM would ask where we were going on vacation and we would tell her Florida, she used to ask "Again?"

When I explained to her that it was the cheapest vacation that we could take, I don't think she really understood.

When I booked the THV's for a family get together next year and showed her the video of the THV's on allearsnet, she wanted to know how much they go for per night if paying cash. When I told her aprx. $700 per night plus tax her jaw about hit the floor.

I was honest and told her it was possible to get 25% discount as a member (if the discount is available) but she still said it was really expensive, and she didn't think my DSis + family would have been able to go if they had to split the bill with us.

I think she "gets" it now ;)

Mickey'sApprentice
07-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I actually consider owning DVC to be our dirty little secret. What I mean by that is that I consider it to be crazy expensive and I personally am not sure we made the right decision to buy. We own another timeshare that we bought for $1500 (a repo) that gives us access to Interval International exchanges and getaways. I see the value in that! I personally do not see the value in DVC but also have not used it yet. We are going on a 7night cruise in September with 2 years worth of points. I don't get what the big deal is with DVC (someone tell me!) but DH thinks it's awesome lol.

I know this is a long shot, but...we met some really nice Canadians while looking at the BLT and AKV models in March. They had just purchased BLT points and were going to use the points for a cruise.

Was that you?? If so, you guys are really lovely people.

photobob
07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
It's amazing though when these people who scoff at you decide to take a trip to WDW, they come to you for advice. That has happened to me on multiple occasions and really don't mind helping people because I really do want them to have a good time and enjoy it the way we do.

We've talked about how guarded we can be about our beloved DVC, but isn't it great to be able to open up to people who are "Disney friendly" and share experiences and tips?

Bill K
07-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I am thinking about getting a DVC tatoo!!!

rowbear
07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Shoot. I consider people being jealous of me as one of the perks of ownership.

rowbear
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM

The really funny thing is many rich people would laugh at you because they consider Disney to be so common that it is beneath them. Some of my friends that do quite well in life refer to Disney as a trailer trash vacation.

FOXFIELDZOO
07-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Say it loud, say it proud, we are dvc owners!!!!!

redrosesix
07-09-2009, 01:49 PM
LOL I've gotten the same kind of comments since we bought a regular TS (we're planning to buy DVC too) last week -- we got it on eBay and it's costing us a total of $800! And we bought it so our trips would be cheaper than ASMusic (so will DVC, by our calculations). The funny thing is, the people who made the comments have stayed at the Poly and CBR.

People just have no idea.

redrosesix
07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
It's amazing though when these people who scoff at you decide to take a trip to WDW, they come to you for advice. That has happened to me on multiple occasions and really don't mind helping people because I really do want them to have a good time and enjoy it the way we do.

We've talked about how guarded we can be about our beloved DVC, but isn't it great to be able to open up to people who are "Disney friendly" and share experiences and tips?

this is so true -- once in a while I meet somebody who's as into WDW as me, or who has already bought DVC. Their eyes light up as soon as they realize they've found somebody new to talk to about it -- too funny :rotfl2:

rutgers1
07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
The one thing that has surprised me is the number of people who know what DVC is. Granted, I talk mainly to people with young children, and the majority have been to Disney over the past few years, but I think DVC markets itself so well on Disney property that EVERYONE knows what it is by the end of their stay.

For the most part, I have gotten a lot of positive reactions. The negative reactions have mainly come from people who simply don't like Disney. Often, I think, the negative reactions have mainly been in my own head. For example, before I tell someone, I always wonder if they will think that Timeshares are for poor losers who can't afford a vacation home, or that I have too much disposable income (obviously, two OPPOSITE reactions). The thought of getting one of those reactions often dissuades me from telling someone.

Whenever I feel like I spent too much money on DVC, I remind myself that many people in my town have vacation homes on the Jersey shore. When compared to the initial price and monthly upkeep of a beach house, DVC is very cheap. Yet I get the same satisfaction from owning DVC as I would if I owned a beach house. To me, whether owning a beach house or owning DVC, they serve the same basic purposes:
1) quality time with family
2) building a family identity through many shared memories at a common location

Considering I am getting the same benefits of beach house ownership at a fraction of the cost, I am very happy and can deal with the occasional person who makes a negative comment.

rentayenta
07-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Shoot. I consider people being jealous of me as one of the perks of ownership.

:rotfl2: I love it!

MrsNick
07-09-2009, 09:46 PM
The really funny thing is many rich people would laugh at you because they consider Disney to be so common that it is beneath them. Some of my friends that do quite well in life refer to Disney as a trailer trash vacation.

Aww pshaw! C'mon Pa, I'm fixin' to go to Disney for some alligator pie! :rotfl2:
Just call me Bobbie Jo!

MrsNick
07-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Considering I am getting the same benefits of beach house ownership at a fraction of the cost, I am very happy and can deal with the occasional person who makes a negative comment.

And you know something? You don't have to be bogged down with the hassles of the upkeep of the property. I LOVE that when we go to DVC, the place is ready for us to use without having to "open the house" and that when we leave, all we have to do is pack, and we don't have to "close the house."

I have friends who own a condo in Florida, and they are tired of making sure that the place is taken care of, and they are really tired of paying the utilities on their condo, including electric and cable. They spend $300 per month on utilities ALONE for that condo. They can't wait to sell it and apply the funds to DVC :hippie:

toniosmom
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
We were at the All Star Movies resort in April 2008 and I was not happy with the accomodations. On a whim, I took a DVC tour and was thoroughly impressed. Seeing the whirlpool tub (after a late night at the parks) was enough to sell me, I think. So, after thinking about it and running the numbers, I jumped in and bought the minimum amount of points at AKV.

I was a bit nervous about membership because I am a single mother with a 4 year old. (I adopted my son as a single mother, so there is no father.) The thought of traveling alone with this very active little boy scared the you-know-what out of me. A friend was going to join us this past March as we used our developer points at SSR. Well, the friend had to drop out and we went alone.

IT WAS THE BEST VACATION WE HAVE EVER HAD. I am so thrilled that we went alone. We created so many wonderful memories and my son frequently mentions Disney. This fact alone made all the investment in DVC worth every single penny, plus interest. So, do I care if anyone makes comments? HECK NO!

My son has ADHD, so things are tough in our household. I have to say that reading about everyone's experiences on this board has been a welcome distraction for me. We are going back "home" next March 2010 and it can't come fast enough. However, I have already planned many many future vacations in my mind as I have read about all of your trips.

Thank you, my dear fellow DVC-ers!

rowbear
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
On a more serious note. I don't care. I really don't. People will be jealous and form opinions and as far as I am concerned they can think whatever they want. I am not going to apologize for the choices I have made in life that have given me the ability to own DVC property and the ability to take multiple vacations every year.

I think it is sort of funny that some of you think being called rich is an insult. Oh the horror!

The only thing I do is try not to make those that really can't afford to go to disney no matter how good of a deal they run feel bad by talking about it.

Mouseaholic!!!
07-10-2009, 08:34 AM
As with any group, 99.98% of the group are fabulous. My DVC friends are exceptional people. Most of the time you never know if you are standing next to a DVC guest.....they are just another Disney fan.

What can be troubling are the .02% of the group.

As an example, on one trip last year were witnessed....

Boardwalk Bakery one morning....long line. "I want my purchase delivered to my room"......"I'm sorry, we do not offer delivery service to your hotel room"......now very loud......"Is this the service $40,000 gets now? I am an OWNER AND I WANT MY ORDER DELIVERED TO MY ROOM".

Well you get the idea. It actually didn't stop until my husband stepped out of line, walked up to them and said in his "forceful" New York style......"If I give you $40,000 will you SHUT UP?'

again on the same trip in line for the bus at Boardwalk.....

"I can't believe they allow common people (yes, that's what he said) to ride the bus with owners. We OWN this place". We decided our car was a far better option.

and finally.........at LeCellier.....in his DVC polo shirt, DVC jacket and DVC baseball cap......

"I can't believe the people they are allowing to stay at Boardwalk now. It was so much better when it was just DVC people. This place is going downhill now that they just anybody to force their way in".

Ok, I admit this particular trip we obviously were in the wrong place at the wrong time -- three times.

That .02% were tough to ignor and certainly left an impression on those around them.....DVC and we....common people.

I enjoy these boards because I learn about the DVC accommodations now that we take advantage of available DVC points. I wish I had thought to ask about BWI before we stayed there....we could have avoided a shabby room.

There is so much useful information found here and we can't wait for our trip to the Grand Cali Villas.

Having said that....sometimes the .02% leave a far bigger impression than the 99.98% of fabulouse DVC owners.

HGD24
07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
We usually only get positive comments for owning DVC. We do get the "You're going again?" question alot though. I just got it yesterday from a co-worker when I said we're going to Disney in Nov. She said, "Didn't you just go last year? Is this going to become an every year thing now that you have a child?" I told her "Yes, we went last Fall and we're going back this Fall. Not sure if it's going to be every year, but this is our 10th trip in 12 years so we've kind of already set the precedence, even before we had a child." She just shook her head and continued on her way.

rowbear
07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Is it really that uncommon to go every year? I realize it might be uncommon to go multiple times a year but every year?

The first time we went to disney as a couple we stayed at the contemporary for 5 days. We got a travel deal that included 2 meals, airfare, lodging, and park passes for 1500. We upgraded to stay in the main concourse for another couple of hundred.

So if you waited for a good deal and stayed at a moderate isn't it entirely possible to get in and out if you save between 125 and 150 dollars a month? I realize for some people that is still completely out of reach but most people I know waste at least that much every month. I know of a couple who complained that they have never been able to take their kids but they eat out 4-5 times a week and not just cheap food either. If they cut their eating out budget by $30 a week they'd could go. It wouldn't be the fanciest of trips but it could be done.

keishashadow
07-10-2009, 04:12 PM

true, i've heard it too...they just don't know the 'secret';)

i tend to hear more of the "...you're going on vacation - again!" sort of comment:confused3, thanks to cost savings of DVC allowing for multiple trips either utililzing DVC or the value thereof every year.:) Our points have morphed into enjoying many different sorts of trips:thumbsup2

While I enjoyed our trip to DL & recent alaskan cruise & have another cruise booked for Dec., i confess considering cancelling our usual couple days @ the beach/Cedar Point we typically take the end of July & sneaking down to Orlando:rolleyes1, i miss it so...never gets old for me.

ToddyLu
07-10-2009, 05:41 PM
:) Dh and I just joined DVC last month. It was really funny to watch how fast my MIL was willing to change from Pop to AKV studio with SV. My parents don't really understand so I would love to have them stay with us at WLV one day (Daddy's fav resort).

DeeCee735
07-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't usually tell people right out that we are members. I have a member jacket that I wear a lot and people usually ask me. DS's allergist asked and told us how he was and we ended up having a 30 minute long conversation about where he should stay on his next visit. Then I was at a different school in May and one of the teachers also asked and told me how he was a member, and how they were going in July for their anniversary, staying at SSR, etc....

Other people that we know realize that we visit WDW 3-4 times a year and wonder how we can do it, and I tell them that we are DVC members, and shake my hand like it is no big deal, and tell them we don't have to pay for our accomodations.

Darling Friends Husband

DeeCee735
07-10-2009, 07:13 PM

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

I have a co worker, co worker mind you, so she can't be rich either, if we're working in the same place for the same $$$, who acts like its ridiculous to want to go there more than once and as if it is "sub standard" to all their cruise vacationing:confused3. To each his own, I say.
We aren't interested in constant cruise vacations, and she has no desire for Disney:confused3:scared1:.....what ever floats your boat!
(no pun intended?:rotfl2:)

DeeCee735
07-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I've had mixed reactions from people...

First, we had a really, really negative reaction (and blog post) which I brought up here awhile back. Basicly they hated all things disney and thought I was jumping on to the 'american religion of consumerism' and bringing down the world,ruining my children's life, etc. Needless to say, that relationship did not last!

Next, I did get a 'must be nice, i could never afford that' reaction. What's funny, is that just this past week I talked to that same person about this, and they were thinking of going (have never been) and when they priced out a room at AKV, they realized that if they bought DVC how much they'd save in just a few trips. So I don't think I'll hear that again! If she thought she'd go multiple times she was feeling ready to buy herself, LOL! :rotfl:

And then I've gotten a few reactions from family who think we are nuts, because we won't want to go in a few years once our kids are older. It was then I tried to explain we could go to other places, and also that it's fun for us, not just our kids:) But I don't think they got it! And I've just dropped it.

It's interesting, because we own a cabin north of here we purchased about five years ago, and never once did I get anything negative on that in all that time. And we have owned DVC for a few months, and I've heard it all! I'm not sure what that's about! :confused3

But I also have had a few friends that were really great about it. We had a little party with the kids and lots of goodies, to celebrate our purchase, and they were all excited and happy for us:) Two friends in particular will listen to my endless decisions on where to stay with our points, etc, and haven't complained yet (true friends!). :goodvibes

No matter what anyone thinks though, what matters is our family, and WE are very happy and excited! :goodvibes

This gets me every time! We go MORE now that our kids are older. It's easier to work trips into the schedule of 2 people instead of 4 (and less expensive on the flights). My kids are in college, and started using DVC with their friends this past spring, so now we can go separately and get even more use out of it....win win situation!

thelionqueen
07-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I have been blessed enough to go to a Disney park every year I've been on this earth. I've been blessed enough to be able to do this for my children.

I am not rich, not even close. I can say, without any doubt whatsoever at all, that DVC is one of the purest sources of joy in my life! I LOVE it, and am PROUD to be a DVC owner.

To afford our trips, we cut back in almost every other area. We only eat out once a month, I buy clothes for my boys at the thrift store (surprising the quality and name brands at the thrift store, but that's for another time). I sell any extra items on ebay or craigslist. We have a garage sale annually, and I could go on and on.

We've made conscious decisions to give up in other areas to pay for our DVC, and it's the BEST thing we could have done. A lot of "if you can't pay cash you should not buy DVC" people would disagree with our logic, but it makes perfect sense in every way for us.

My favorite story to describe our Disney addiction is this.... My boss is so used to me using my vacation time (have 7+ weeks per year) and going to Disney, she say's this:
"you must be going on vacation soon, right?" I say "why yes I am." She immediately follows this question with "Land or World?" :lmao:

nunzia
07-11-2009, 08:11 AM
I have been blessed enough to go to a Disney park every year I've been on this earth. I've been blessed enough to be able to do this for my children.

I am not rich, not even close. I can say, without any doubt whatsoever at all, that DVC is one of the purest sources of joy in my life! I LOVE it, and am PROUD to be a DVC owner.

To afford our trips, we cut back in almost every other area. We only eat out once a month, I buy clothes for my boys at the thrift store (surprising the quality and name brands at the thrift store, but that's for another time). I sell any extra items on ebay or craigslist. We have a garage sale annually, and I could go on and on.

We've made conscious decisions to give up in other areas to pay for our DVC, and it's the BEST thing we could have done. A lot of "if you can't pay cash you should not buy DVC" people would disagree with our logic, but it makes perfect sense in every way for us.

My favorite story to describe our Disney addiction is this.... My boss is so used to me using my vacation time (have 7+ weeks per year) and going to Disney, she say's this:
"you must be going on vacation soon, right?" I say "why yes I am." She immediately follows this question with "Land or World?" :lmao:

We're in the same boat (Mark Twain or Columbia? :) ) Anyway...Disney and DVC are our only real splurge also. Well, staying at the Grand Californian used to be, but when I found out there'd be a DVC there it was a no brainer. So I have my little second job, I shop thrift stores and keep stuff until it literally drops dead (yes, I'd love a big screen TV but that has to wait until that darn great running old set we have dies), I do alot of ebay and if I had time I'd do Etsy. Our house and cars are modest, and if we go out to eat it's fast food or with gift cards. People really do wonder how we can vacation so well..it's becasue we live small and frugal and I'm really lucky to have a DH who goes along so happily:)

ransom
07-11-2009, 08:33 AM
DVC is just another on my list of things not worth mentioning to most people, because it takes too long to explain and dispel the myths and misconceptions...and most people just don't care enough to listen if you did bother to explain it.

Same goes for most of my private life. DW and I (both solidly middle-aged) enjoy playing video games, especially the cooperative ones that let us both play on the same side. Some weeks in the winter, we'll spend 20 or 30 hours playing them. We also collect classic gaming systems, from the Atari 2600 on up, and have hundreds of games for them. Most people don't understand that passion, either.

And then there's the Disney movie collection: we have almost everything made during Walt's lifetime (shorts, animated features, and live action features, plus many of the TV show episodes). Every Saturday night for the last three years, we've watched a classic Disney TV episode or several classic Disney animated short subjects. And every Sunday we've watched a classic Disney movie (animated or live action). Hard to find much connection with most people on that passion, too.

And then there's theme parks. We go to the local Six Flags once a weekend during the operating season (April through the first week of November). We like thrill rides, and it's a nice place to walk around and take a break from life...and dream about our next visit to WDW. Again, most people wouldn't understand.

So we mostly stay mum about our private lives. I suppose I should just say, "We have Peter Pan syndrome" and leave it at that. :)

ScubaD
07-11-2009, 10:44 AM
My turn to weigh in on this subject.

We joined a few years ago and I have estimated what the vacations (10 visits so far) would have cost without DVC points and we have saved a few thousand dollars over having to pay "FULL PRICE" for our accomodations. Just wait until we have the loan paid off and visit WDW, Disnyland, Hawaii, etc.

Our DD and DS are both getting married this year and we were able to provide a nice honeymoon through Interval International and RCI.

We enjoy what Disney has to offer for relaxation (walking through the parks is relaxing??) for both the young and the not so young. As I "mature" I am enjoying EPCOT more and more. Will never catch up to the Magic Kingdom though.

We purchased DVC as a way to keep our family together in the future years, as they start their own family and may move throughout the country. By having the DVC we can be the fulcrum of coming together for vacations. We cannot wait until we have grandkids and we get to take them to Mickey's home for the very first time.

If we need extra money and can't go on vacation then we can rent the points for cash. Have not had to do this yet as we have always "borrowed points" in order to fulfill our Disney fixes.

So we consider DVC a great value, not just a cost.

You know what we find fun, people come to us when they have Disney questions. We do get those "again?" comments, but those same people tend to know who to ask (sometimes in secret) when they want to visit Disney themselves.

Chellymouse
07-11-2009, 12:36 PM
It's very true that only other DVC members understand. Our family thought we were crazy "You're going to Disney again" and "well must be nice to be able to afford that" but boy are the tables turned when they want to go to Disney or the beach. Most DVC members buy in because we share a true love of Disney that only we know and understand and I say that going to Disney every year is no different than going to the beach every year. Furthermore, as us owners know, it is quite a bit less expensive (over time) to be a member than to continue to book through CRO and stay at hotels. I don't know about anyone else, but I was getting pretty tired of being cramped up in a hotel for 8-10 days.

zorro77
07-11-2009, 12:54 PM
We bought into DVC club in 92/93 and just booked our 42 trip to vacation club resorts. Our home is OKW and this is where we mainly stay. We bought when prices were good and did some add-on thru the Timeshare comp.
We've heard as most of you have said that you must be rich to go so often or why not go some place else.
We've been going to Disney since 86 and have never grown tired of it. Once we started to stay at OKW we could never seem to get enough of it. Many family members and friends have travel through out the years with us and had wonderful times.
The investment is for yours to enjoy like going to cabin,trailer or other means of enjoyment. You can spend a lot or travel very carefully.
We like the fact that we no longer rush to do stuff we just enjoy the time and the place. For us haven a special needs family member has also made it more fun and relaxing for the family .
We will make our trips to Disney World as long as we are able and hope that will be for another 20 to 30 years. :thumbsup2
We've been traveling with family members that are know 80 and hope they can continue for many more years. :dance3:
We look at going as something we are always planning 6 months out. So all year long we have a trip we are looking forward to. Watching for best deals on flights or car rental.
Where else can you go and have fun at any age. Enjoy the weather, shows, eat all kinds of food, drink if you want, play sports, bike or do just about anything you can think of . Or, just stay home like you would if really at home. Enjoy:cool1::cool1::smokin::smokin:

arthur06
07-11-2009, 02:16 PM
One friend told me "Don't go too much" (we just got back in April and are going again in Oct.) We want to go in 4 years when the baby is older.

That's fine and great and your choice, but what about your 6 year old who will be 10! You have hosed her of any sort of family outings for many years.

I get asked why I take my kids before they can remember going! Wanna know why? Because DW and myself, remember them going! These are my memories too! I know in Oct, when DS2 sees MM for the first time he will light up (or meltdown), reguardless, I will remember that long after he does!

DenLo
07-11-2009, 02:50 PM
:scared1::scared1::scared1:

I have a co worker, co worker mind you, so she can't be rich either, if we're working in the same place for the same $$$, who acts like its ridiculous to want to go there more than once and as if it is "sub standard" to all their cruise vacationing:confused3. To each his own, I say.
We aren't interested in constant cruise vacations, and she has no desire for Disney:confused3:scared1:.....what ever floats your boat!
(no pun intended?:rotfl2:)

It always amazes me how differently people think. We just bought at BLT because our last two trips to WDW were fabulous. However, we also love to cruise. We prefer longer cruises of 14 days or more so have to schedule them way out so we can pay for them by time we cruise. We have countdowns for WDW trips and up coming cruises. It's getting a little complicated on our computer but hey the planning is part of the fun to us.

DenLo
07-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Regarding the original question. We have had reactions where people can't figure out what could possibly interest us at WDW, to WOW is the family invited? Can we buy more points and add them to your points? That way we could be co-owners of the additional points. And we (the in-laws) could all go sometimes. When talking to my brother, I told him I like to arrange a family reunion with his kids and children and our sister (about 20 people) using our points (banked, use and borrow--3 years worth). But was worried we wouldn't have enough points. My brother responded, wow we have another timeshare that has a property located on Bonner Creek, some of us could stay there!

I know I won't even mention it to some friends as they were surprised that we were even going to WDW without kids.

rowbear
07-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Regarding the original question. We have had reactions where people can't figure out what could possibly interest us at WDW, to WOW is the family invited? Can we buy more points and add them to your points? That way we could be co-owners of the additional points. And we (the in-laws) could all go sometimes. When talking to my brother, I told him I like to arrange a family reunion with his kids and children and our sister (about 20 people) using our points (banked, use and borrow--3 years worth). But was worried we wouldn't have enough points. My brother responded, wow we have another timeshare that has a property located on Bonner Creek, some of us could stay there!

I know I won't even mention it to some friends as they were surprised that we were even going to WDW without kids.

When the time comes for the family reunion you could also consider renting points from another member so you could all stay together.

We don't have kids and we go all the time.

cocoaguy
07-11-2009, 04:40 PM

No more Sea Isle City for me....lol lol DVC all the way!

thelionqueen
07-11-2009, 10:42 PM
We're in the same boat (Mark Twain or Columbia? :) ) Anyway...Disney and DVC are our only real splurge also. Well, staying at the Grand Californian used to be, but when I found out there'd be a DVC there it was a no brainer. So I have my little second job, I shop thrift stores and keep stuff until it literally drops dead (yes, I'd love a big screen TV but that has to wait until that darn great running old set we have dies), I do alot of ebay and if I had time I'd do Etsy. Our house and cars are modest, and if we go out to eat it's fast food or with gift cards. People really do wonder how we can vacation so well..it's becasue we live small and frugal and I'm really lucky to have a DH who goes along so happily:)

WOW, it sounds like we could be long lost sisters :rotfl2:
My husband loves Disney as much as I do now, and he supports anything we need to do to have our DVC contracts and pay for them comfortably. He just told me the other night (which I thought was the coolest comment) "you act and look just like a little girl when you're looking through your DVC stuff" (planner, doc's, mailers, etc). I just had to laugh because once he said it I realized I FELT like one too. There is nothing in this world I want more than my DVC (monetarily of course). It gives me a smile 100 times a day.

Our cars are paid for, and are modest as well. We have very little other debt, and DVC truly is our only "real splurge."

I see you're just south of me in NM!! Same "neck of the woods" too :thumbsup2

PSU
07-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Haven't told many yet about DVC.....honestly, not having kids makes it odd at my age (mid 40s)...friends without kids are often perplexed..."Disney...argh too many kids" ...they don't see the magic....And those that have kids can't understand that with the "freedom" we have why in the "xell we'd want to go to a theme park"...we've been around the world on many different vacation experiences and the thing that Disney excels at is the escape factor....I was at the Poly a few month ago and for a few days felt like I was in Hawaii....then could go to AK and see the animals....no stress..all is good....not to say a Safari in Kenya wouldn't be different but to know that I can easily create an experience in a few days is pretty cool....

Anal Annie
07-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Living in the DC suburbs we live about 3-3 1/2 hours from the Maryland / Delaware shore and there are a LOT of people here who have 2nd homes or condos at the beach where they spend a majority of their summers "commuting" on weekends. I also know people who summer in Avalon, NJ which is just slightly further. We have other friends with cabins in the mountains of Western Maryland or WV where they go to all the time... If any of them have the slightest nerve to say something about us going to Disney 2 or 3 times a year I just remind them that "this is our place" just as they have their places where they go all the time. There is no difference IMO. It just has to be pointed out to them to look at it from a different point of view.

After running into one friend at the store after our most recent long weekend at Disney (over Memorial Day) she said "that's really worked out well for you guys hasn't it?" I was like YES! It really has!!! :goodvibes

KateB
07-12-2009, 11:33 AM
So last August my DF and I went to WDW for the first time (me 25 and DF 32), yeah can you believe it!? Not that I didn't try to get in a visit since I was old enough to know that WDW existed.

Anywho, we bought in to DVC in May and are thrilled. I find that many people (especially family) don't understand our purchase. I try to explain that we are going to be able to take our children (someday) and truly enjoy this world while we are here. My parents think that we are totally nuts. I am a school teacher and other co-workers just look at me like we are rolling in money. But truth be told we are no better off. We just find vacations a priority in life. Who doesn't want to enjoy life, you only get one. Thankfully I have another DVC member at work and we spenhours (yes literally HOURS) talking about Disney.

Only DVC members understand or true love and passion from Disney!

Might I say WE ROCK!!!!!:woohoo:

Poopachino
07-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Last week I got the "nice to have so much money" reaction from someone at work when they asked me about going to Disney so often.

This thread has been very therapeutic - I vow that will be the last time that reaction bothers me ever again!

Thank's fellow DVCers!

Goofy DVC
07-12-2009, 01:02 PM
During the early years as members,when it really was a secret, I spent way to much time and energy explaining DVC. It took me WAY TOO LONG to realize that certian "comments" really weren't my problem. Since then, I don't realy share it with many people and any negative comments just go in one ear and out the other.

SusieBea
07-12-2009, 01:04 PM

This really stunned me. I believe many wealthy people are DVCers, plus it ain't cheap to pay full price to spend a week at Poly or GF or at the moderates or value resorts.

Mouse511
07-12-2009, 01:30 PM
We love, love, love our DVC membership! DH and I constantly say it was one of the best purchases we've made.

However, we do receive a lot of mixed comments. From people who love disney, they think it's great and want more information about DVC. From non-disney lovers, the most common thing we hear is "ya know, there are plenty of other places to vacation other than Disney". But, these same people also say they have no interest in a WDW vacation. One of my co-workers said last week that you couldn't pay her to go to WDW....:confused3 I've stopped justifying our purchase and just ignore their comments.

We love DVC and are looking forward to many years of great vacations :yay:

thelionqueen
07-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I just had to share something that happened to me at our "all staff" quarterly meeting, it is SO ironic I just have to post it.

Every quarter, our entire organization (from 3 states) convene for an all staff meeting. At this meeting, one person is singled out as a kind of "get to know you" kind of Q&A session. You guessed it, it was ME!!!

Once it was announced, I got to stand up in front of everyone, and tell them something they don't know about me as well as answer any questions. At the end of this debacle people are encouraged to say something they like or admire about the "spotlight" person. Keep in mind I am the HR person at my company so I needed to be very selective on what I shared...:lmao: So here it goes.

First of all, I divulged the fact that I am a DVC owner...strike that...I am a PROUD DVC owner. I then followed that fact with an EXTREMELY brief explanation of DVC. Most people looked kinda like this :rolleyes1

One of my co-workers said "I knew it had to be something about Disney" as they see my office everyday. I have 2 full size (poster sized) Disney prints/quotes on one wall, and every other nook and cranny is tastefully decorated with all things Disney. Anyway I digress..back to the story.

After a few "business type" responses and Q & A's (mostly about my love of Disney and where it came from) people were TRULY amazed at how deep my love of Disney goes, and since I took great time to explain it, now understand it and subsequently, ME better. I absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED this exercise and it REALLY opened my co-workers eyes about my love of Disney and, particularly DVC.

The CEO of the company closed this exercise by saying, (and this is what almost brought tears to my eyes) "I always love going by Lionqueen's office (used my real name btw :rotfl2:) and seeing all the color and life it brings to our office ." "I know understand why she goes to Disney twice a year, and the joy it gives her. And although I doubt I will ever "get it" (meaning get the magic or something to that nature) I can see the joy it brings to her and by association to everyone else she works with..so thanks Walt!"

I just LOVE my job and the way they embrace everyone and their passions. I can honestly say I think that some people who thought maybe I was juvenile in some way, now see Disney and my vacations as my source of joy. I can't believe I'm happy I was picked and how everything turned out; just had to share. Thanks for listening (reading..whatever :laughing:)

WolfpackFan
07-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I got a reaction today that surprised me and actually did kind of bother me. We went out to lunch with our Sunday School class (about 20 folks went out to eat). Everyone in the class knows we are going to be out of town week after next (mainly because I'm supposed to be teaching this month and had to get someone to cover for me). Well while eating this lady sitting across from me said "where are you all going next week" and I replied Walt Disney World. She came back with a very strong "what again!!!' (we were just there two months ago). It really did kind of bother me at the time and I changed the subject quickly. Why is it okay for some folks to go to the beach week after week or even spend the entire summer at the beach; but we're looked down upon because we like to go to WDW so often. I usually don't let these things bother me. I'm 58 years old and can do what I want. But the fact this lady (who we hardly know) made this comment made me wonder what our real friends think.

flatzkids
07-12-2009, 08:26 PM
My wife often comments that I must have a second job in DVC sales. I take just about any opportunity there is to tell friends about DVC and WDW in general. As I have seen posted on here several times.....it takes a DVCer to know DVC.

JenSop
07-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Honestly, the people who know me really aren't surprised that we own DVC. I've been obsessed with Disney since my first trip as a kid in 1984. And I'm lucky that even though DH hasn't gone as many times as I have, he loves it too.

No one ever makes comments that we must be rich since DH and I are musicians (I sing and DH is a music teacher) and everyone knows we don't make lots of money.

We don't have kids, but love to have fun. To me, that means escaping to special places that let you be a kid again. (And we just really love rides.) Also, I tend to get mistaken for being much younger than I am, so the whole "kid at heart" thing really rings true for me. Like i said, anyone who remotely knows me, sees the perfect fit between myself and going to WDW.

I also have lots of friends who like WDW too. So I'm rarely in company of people who are puzzled by it.

I do get the occasional comment from my younger sister, as she married a Disney-hater. (Maybe Disney-disliker is a better description?) This makes me very sad, as it has clouded her opinions about the World. She was there on all those childhood trips with our grandparents; which are some of the fondest memories I'll ever have. sigh. At least I can work the Disney magic on HER kids. We're going to do a BIG family trip in 2012 in a grand villa. My oldest niece is already talking about it and she just turned four! And last year we took my parents and grandmother so they could experience an adult style Disney vacation. They loved it! So for us, DVC has given us the opportunity to make family memories we wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

We love DVC and if anyone wanted to make a comment, I'd PROUDLY put them in their place! :laughing:

WolfpackFan
07-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Do you all ever get the question "are you going to ride the rides"? This happens to me a lot. Like being 58 makes me too old to ride any rides. Kind of bugs me really. Yes, I'm going to ride the rides; I'm not dead and in the ground yet :).

I also get the comments, have they added anything new down there for you to do? Yes "Toy Story Mania" :goodvibes.

Like someone previously said, I'm getting so we just don't tell folks where we're going anymore. I wouldn't have told the lady in my Sunday School class except it doesn't seem quite right to lie to someone at Church :rotfl2:. I just don't want to hear the same inane comments over and over. In fact as far as I know very few folks know we're heading down on Sunday. DS knows of course plus the friend who is taking care of DD's cats (they are DVC members also - so understand). I'm not even telling my brothers we're going to be out of town (two of them live about 10 minutes away). Cell phones work just fine at WDW and they have no way of knowing where we're at. Plus we don't get together with them enough so that they would actually miss us being out of town.

Greysword
07-13-2009, 12:08 PM
This is a great thread! :thumbsup2

I usually don't tell people unless they mention DVC first. rarely will I offer that we are members if they go into it, so I don't steal their excitement about telling someone (but I will usually back them up, strangers or friends, if they catch flack or need some support).

Co-workers (and friends) think I'm a bit goofy anyway, so they understand the Disney thing with me. Usually they smile and ask if I work for Disney, because I end up telling them how affordable a WDW vacation actually is.

Personally, I see our ownership as a sense of pride. Growing up, we had very very few vacations, mostly to visit relatives in other states occasionally (mostly grandparents), and very rarely fun or exotic like WDW. Although DVC has the upfront cost, the overall cost advantage is easy to explain (given the number f trips we've taken since initial ownership), and I love being able to proudly inform naysayers that I can and will afford an annual or semi-annual vacation for my family! :cool1: Most guys can relate to that and the info that it can act as a standard timeshare.

If they ask about us going to Disney too often or without the little one, I explain the level of world famous service Disney is known for and a few of the non-park related activities we could do (spa, golf, boating, horseback riding, and visit other Orlando attractions) instead of the parks if we wanted. Usually they understand a little and surprised by all the non-kid stuff available.

We just returned from OKW, where we hosted my friends (family of 5) part-time and my mom and sister the rest of the stay. All were astounded at the size of the 2BR (including us) and I was so proud to have shared the DVC experience with them. It was not their normal WDW accommodations, and their positive comments were fantastic!

Anal Annie
07-13-2009, 01:51 PM
I got a reaction today that surprised me and actually did kind of bother me. We went out to lunch with our Sunday School class (about 20 folks went out to eat). Everyone in the class knows we are going to be out of town week after next (mainly because I'm supposed to be teaching this month and had to get someone to cover for me). Well while eating this lady sitting across from me said "where are you all going next week" and I replied Walt Disney World. She came back with a very strong "what again!!!' (we were just there two months ago). It really did kind of bother me at the time and I changed the subject quickly. Why is it okay for some folks to go to the beach week after week or even spend the entire summer at the beach; but we're looked down upon because we like to go to WDW so often. I usually don't let these things bother me. I'm 58 years old and can do what I want. But the fact this lady (who we hardly know) made this comment made me wonder what our real friends think.

That's what I was saying in my previous post...our next door neighbors have a place at Bethany Beach, DE and spend the majority of their summers there. Well, she goes down with the kids for weeks on end and HE "commutes" for the weekends. THEY have no interest in amusement parks of any sort and really have not even exposed their kids to them to know if they would like them or not. :confused3 They went to Disney once when their oldest was like 2 or 3 & their younger son was an infant so they really don't have a recent experience to compare it to (their kids are 15 & 12 now). They never, ever, EVER go anyplace like Six Flags or Hershey Park or Kings Dominion (all within a reasonable day trip from here). They just don't "get it" either... Now, I would love to have a place to go to at the beach for like a couple of weekends sometimes....and I love the beach....but I really don't have an interest in having a "second home" there.

Another thing I think they don't understand is that we're able to make each trip a little different by staying someplace different each time we go. They don't understand that each property is different either since they never go themselves. ANYWAY....we all have something we enjoy and Disney is our vice!!:thumbsup2

PMDR59
07-19-2009, 04:47 PM
We are PROUD DVC owners, our only regret is not buying in years ago when we first wanted to.

We purchased last August while bringing the Magic home from LA (we hear DISNEY AGAIN, about DCL as well) Have not made it home yet, but will be in SSR 8/15 on our Developer points and will be home at AKV in December and banked our leftover points. Already planning for 2010 since we decided to try the Wonder (doing a 3night) and just have to see if I can get HHI or VB for 4 days before our cruise.

IMO I have found that the DVC owners I know are just so much more family orientated then other friends/families we know. Always doing things with our kids/for our kids (for ourselves as well, since we truly enjoy spending time as a family) We are very involved with the scouts (I only have boys) and that is where I met most of my DVC friends.

I have vacationed elsewhere and just dont get that HAPPY feeling I get when doing something Disney (cruise or parks). If you ask anyone who knows me I vent (I call it venting, everyone else calls it complaining) about EVERYTHING. But can truly say so far I have not had to vent about any of my Disney Cruises or any of our vistis to DL/WDW.

I dont even bother trying to explain my Happy Place to anyone. Non Dis Freaks just dont get it!!!!

bonrea
07-25-2009, 08:13 AM
But...I have that rare ability to not give a #@i^ what others think. If I want to spend MY money on MY family, having great, lasting memories...then thats what I'll do.

DH works for, what is now, Wells Fargo and is in an office with nothing but thousands of cubicles. DD calls it his Box. The people he works with say; It must be nice to have a bigger paycheck than us or some stupid comments like that. He just laughs and walks away. We are not rich monetarily by any stretch of the imagination but we dont have 10,000 dogs or cats and have no debt other than our house. So we can afford some DVC points, and we dont have a lot of them.

When my DH is asked; Why would anyone want to spend their hard earned money and vacation time at Disney? He replies; I cannot get that quality of comfort, fun, entertainment, enjoyment, food, service, time with my family AND friends, anywhere else in the world for such a simple cost.

For me (DW), it is the one place that I have seen that BIG MAN with tears in his eyes when he sees her (DD) laughing and loving every moment of it. When she turns and hugs him and says; I love you daddy! the site is overwhelming to me!

So when (not if) you find the non-believers out there just say a prayer for them and keep believing.

Inkmahm
07-25-2009, 09:29 AM
I hate to tell you this but the only people that will truly understand you as a DVC member are other DVC members. My own family thinks were nuts. It has been said a thousand times. Most people don't get it. Just be happy there is DIS where you are understood. Amen.

flipflopmom
07-25-2009, 10:03 AM
For me (DW), it is the one place that I have seen that BIG MAN with tears in his eyes when he sees her (DD) laughing and loving every moment of it. When she turns and hugs him and says; I love you daddy! the site is overwhelming to me!

So when (not if) you find the non-believers out there just say a prayer for them and keep believing.

That is exactly why we bought this week at BLT. No other week other than this past at WDW has brought as many memories, or happy tears for us! I love your signature. Either you get it or you don't!

Disneypirate85
07-25-2009, 12:53 PM
A friend of mine asked about how we go to Disney so much last week. I explained briefly about our DVC and how it makes it easier on us. Well about 8 hours later I get a call at home from him and asking about the web link to watch the DVC video online and "What was the name of that resell place" DW and I ended up driving over there to try to explain it little more in depth to him and his DW we made them a little DVC gift bag, even in a DVC white bag we got at BLT presentation we went to in July, BLT info a Dream Book and a "Perks" book, 5 MINUTES no kidding 5 minutes she was one of us and wanted him to call Timeshare Store.
Come to find out they were in Vero last year and "snuck" into VB resort and loved it! Gave them the "Buy where you REALLY want to stay" speach and now they are buying in......FINALLY someone close to be able to Share DVC stuff with. Shawnpirate:

noname70
07-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I have generally stopped telling people when I go to WDW for all of the reasons previouly stated. BTW, I also live a modest lifestyle, yet I've gotten grief from people who go out to dinner constantly, lease cars above their means, mortgages above their means, etc. I've sacrificed for what I have and love my Disney vacations that I can now afford.

Anal Annie
07-26-2009, 07:35 AM
I have generally stopped telling people when I go to WDW for all of the reasons previouly stated. BTW, I also live a modest lifestyle, yet I've gotten grief from people who go out to dinner constantly, lease cars above their means, mortgages above their means, etc. I've sacrificed for what I have and love my Disney vacations that I can now afford.

I know, right?! My next door neighbor has a place at the beach. She was JUST there for 2 weeks in early July, home for a week and is going again today for a week. She used to spend even more of her summer there but her oldest plays HS football now so they have to stay home for most of August. Anyway, we went to Disney for just 4 nights over Memorial Day weekend for my DS's birthday present (first time since LAST summer) and are going again in 3 weeks for our "real" vacation which is 10 nights. The other day she says to me "Oh again you're going? So soon?":rotfl: Ummmm....how is that any different from what SHE'S doing?!:lmao: You have to just ignore it sometimes!! Some people just don't get it and never will.:rolleyes:

TinkandAriel
07-26-2009, 09:19 AM
We're not DVC (YET), but we go every year and have discussed DVC the past two years, and I think this years upgrade to OKW will more than likely push us over the edge :)
However, noone gets it. Noone. I'm dancing with excitement over this upgrade to OKW, and I have noone but the hubs to share my excitement with, everyone else is like "oh, that's nice"....When I mention our upcoming Disney trip I get the :rolleyes1 from coworkers/friends and the occassional snide "I wish I could afford to go to Disney every year" (well, you can if you really want but don't get me started on that)....augh...
I'm looking forward to joining your DVC group so at least I'll be in familiar company :yay:

bonrea
07-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Ummmm....how is that any different from what SHE'S doing?!:lmao: You have to just ignore it sometimes!! Some people just don't get it and never will.:rolleyes:

"Disney; For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

Lildalejrfan
07-26-2009, 12:54 PM
I usually don't tell people unless they make a comment about the resort we're staying at. (ex. AKV, SSR etc) They'll make a comment about how expensive it must be. Then I tell them "I wouldn't know. I'm a DVC member" & leave it at that. Unless they persue the matter further then I'll give them a brief run down about how it works....
We bought our DVC 15 months ago & have been home 13 times already. When people make the comments about going away again I tell them "it's OUR time now that the kids are grown". We have worked hard all our lives & this was a little treat for us to enjoy with our family & grandson.
Funny thing is we used to go to Las Vegas atleast 3 times a year & no one ever said anything about that. But, go to Disney & fugetaboutit....:rotfl:
Then they want to know if we do all the parks and rides. I tell them yes we do. We have AP's so if we want to have lunch @ Epcot we'll go just for lunch. We'll go to HS just to see the show's then leave. They look at us as if we're crazy. I tell them it's one of the perks of being a DVC'er.
My only regret is not buying when SIL did back in "92".

d-r
07-26-2009, 06:11 PM
facebook.

I've been using the facebook as a way to post pictures on-line, because it goes straight to our relatives and friends and is an easy way to post them. So they haven't all been disney of course, but as more people started using facebook the more people were on my friends list. After our trip last month a friend replied "please tell me those pictures were from last december and you didn't go again already." - they knew we went last december because we saw one of their friends there. I was like, it is June. So I wrote, "well, it is June, and we did go again, yes." And there was a reply "You mean you went again since December?" And I was like "yeah, a couple of times since December, but you have to understand we have annual passes and disney vacation club so it is already paid for," and I didn't hear any more of it.

Oh, btw, here are some pictures from yesterday:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2756849&id=2354663&l=7f35018b42