PDA

View Full Version : Orlando on a Budget July 2009 Pre-Trip

mfoz1
07-06-2009, 12:25 PM
DH: Mark (44... will be 45 before we get back)
DW: Debra (43... the glue)
DD1: Charlotte (21... can finally drink legally)
DD2: Alexandra (16 and Disney-mad)
DS: Nicholas (14... will be interesting to see how he handles 10 days without a Playstation)
DD3: Lucy (8... looking forward to swimming as much as humanly possible)

The last couple of weeks have been real slow but we are finally getting close to departure, in fact tomorrow night we are driving to Gatwick to do the twilight check-in... before driving all the way back to Ashford to try and sleep. This will be difficult as it always is but probably better than trying to sleep in one of the hotels up there. You would have had to have read our last trip report to California last summer to understand how we feel about the rooms at the Hilton. Also, as we are on a budget, it should save us some money which we can spend when we are on Orlando (something I think we would all prefer to do).

Did I mention the credit crunch yet? Oh boy it has hit us hard and to be honest there have been times over the last week or so when I thought we would have to cancel. I'm still not sure that either of us think this is the most sensible thing to do but why change a habit of a lifetime. We know we are coming back to face some hard times and tough decisions, like many of you I expect, so we are taking this opportunity to say goodbye to Orlando as it may be our last visit for a long time. The Christmas trip is looking more and more unlikely and unless we win the lottery (which we don't do) or someone breaks the bank for my (not inconsiderable) services I fear this will be it. We've had a good run though so I'm not companing... probably will be in August.

Bear in mind this is almost but not quite a non-Disney trip so I don't know how interesting it will be. One of Charlotte's ex-Epcot buddies is still working over there and is working on getting us complimentary tickets in to Epcot for a day so fingers crossed there will be one or two Disney moments. We're not used to operating on a budget so it will be interesting to see how we cope and how much entertainment we can have for free while we're there. Any last minute ideas would be greatly received at this point as I currently have none.

I will be trying to blog while we are there and will definitely be tweeting so check out the blog (http://orlandojuly2009.wordpress.com/)if you want to keep up to date. A more comprehensive trip report will follow when we get back (and this time I am determined it won't take me 6 months to complete).

Cheers,
Mark Foster

natalielongstaff
07-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Hope you have a great trip Mark :)

mandymouse
07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Have a fab trip Mark :thumbsup2

suzycute
07-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Hope you have a great time.

jamjar84