PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Pool?

Sisdy
06-27-2009, 04:49 PM
When the FW pool was redone was it changed to a salt water pool or is it still Chlorine?

AuburnJen92
06-27-2009, 05:51 PM
it is very much a fresh water, extremely chlorinated pool

ftwildernessguy
06-27-2009, 06:52 PM
When the FW pool was redone was it changed to a salt water pool or is it still Chlorine?

You're kidding, right?

DaveInTN
06-27-2009, 07:38 PM
It is actually kind of silly if they didn't upgrade to salt water. The savings from not having to buy all those chemicals pays for the upgrade within a few years, and the water quality is so much better. Daily maintenance requirements are reduced greatly as well. My neighborhood pool upgraded during this past off-season and the pool is much nicer on the skin, and ongoing maintenance easier on the HOA's budget.

livndisney
06-27-2009, 07:51 PM
it is very much a fresh water, extremely chlorinated pool

"extremely" chlorinated? Does that mean you can smell the chlorine? Or does it burn your eyes?

AuburnJen92
06-27-2009, 09:03 PM
"extremely" chlorinated? Does that mean you can smell the chlorine? Or does it burn your eyes?

it means you can't smell the pee:lmao:

Skaught
06-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Saltwater...ewww...I wouldn't set foot in the pool if that's the way it was.

Like most "public" pools, it seems to have a higher chlorine content than the average home pool. If you've ever been in a busy pool you'll understand. Nothing out of the ordinary and not a problem for the hour I spent in it with my son.

Scott

motofamily
06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Saltwater pools are the best! The initial investment is more but no shock no chemicals to store just bags of salt like you use in a drinking water purification system its better for your skin, hair, and there is no salt taste or feel. Dont knock it till you try one and dont let the word salt fool you its not salty ocean water:rotfl2:

ynottony99
06-27-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't know what they are using know, but a few years ago I know it was bromine, not chlorine. Most can't tell the difference between the 2.

ftwildernessguy
06-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Whatever it takes to kill the germs in that giant toilet they call a pool.

DaveInTN
06-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Whatever it takes to kill the germs in that giant toilet they call a pool.
Scotch! :cool1:

mrsscooter
06-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Ditto............:thumbsup2

livndisney
06-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Scotch! :cool1:

That doesn't kill the germs-it just makes them drunk :lmao:

I know a lot of the resorts pools use bromide, so I was surprised to hear they were using chlorine in this pool. I was just wondering how strong the chlorine smell was at the Fort pool.

CampingBandit
06-28-2009, 06:42 PM
If you "smell" chlorine - you are actually smelling Combined Chloramines, by products of the sanitizing process. It means the water is not properly balanced, allowing CC to form. If you smell it, it usually means there isn't/hasn't been ENOUGH chlorine to do the job effectively.

Saltwater pools ARE chlorine pools. Chlorine is generated from salt by a "Saltwater Chlorine Generator" and the salt is converted into chlorine.

Bromine is not usually recommended in an outdoor pool because it there is no way to protect it from UV destruction like you can with chlorine via the use of stabilizer/CYA which cuts chlorine loss to the sun by 50%. CYA and Bromine aren't compatible....it makes a bromine pool very expensive to operate.

SWCG pools are not chemical free- And you still might need to shock a SWCG pool - if the FC levels haven't been maintained, allowing CC or algae to take hold. SWCGs are not cheap, but they are convenient and the salt does feel "softer" to the skin. You still might need PH/TA balancers and Cyanuric Acid, but other than that an SWCG is a relatively simple system to operate.

DaveInTN
06-28-2009, 07:33 PM
If you "smell" chlorine - you are actually smelling Combined Chloramines, by products of the sanitizing process. It means the water is not properly balanced, allowing CC to form. If you smell it, it usually means there isn't/hasn't been ENOUGH chlorine to do the job effectively.

Saltwater pools ARE chlorine pools. Chlorine is generated from salt by a "Saltwater Chlorine Generator" and the salt is converted into chlorine.

Bromine is not usually recommended in an outdoor pool because it there is no way to protect it from UV destruction like you can with chlorine via the use of stabilizer/CYA which cuts chlorine loss to the sun by 50%. CYA and Bromine aren't compatible....it makes a bromine pool very expensive to operate.

SWCG pools are not chemical free- And you still might need to shock a SWCG pool - if the FC levels haven't been maintained, allowing CC or algae to take hold. SWCGs are not cheap, but they are convenient and the salt does feel "softer" to the skin. You still might need PH/TA balancers and Cyanuric Acid, but other than that an SWCG is a relatively simple system to operate.
And if I hadn't already gotten into the scotch that would have made sense to me! :rotfl2:

ftwildernessguy
06-28-2009, 09:44 PM

Actually, this is starting to make more sense to me. I was thinking the concentration of salt that would be necessary to get the osmolarity required to kill bacteria would make for a very unpleasant swimming experience. Now, pass the scotch.

big kahuna1
06-29-2009, 07:02 AM

I do not think this is the kind of salt water pool they were thinking of but I could be wrong. I believe they are talking about a true "salt Water" pool like the ocean type salt water.

Correct me if I am wrong but the above "salt walter" pool you describe really is not salt water. It starts out with fresh water and the chlorine system uses salt to generate or make the chlorine and the "salt" also softens the water like a water softener. There really is no "salt" in the water like a true "salt water" pool.:thumbsup2

CampingBandit
06-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Burp. Excuse me. To much Kungaloosh.

SWCG pools need a min of 3,000 ppm salt to function properly, the ocean has like 10 times that....so there is salt just not as much. You can use water softener salt pellets aamof. :)

DaveInTN
06-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Burp. Excuse me. To much Kungaloosh.

SWCG pools need a min of 3,000 ppm salt to function properly, the ocean has like 10 times that....so there is salt just not as much. You can use water softener salt pellets aamof. :)
Yes, this is what our HOA put in this year. You can taste salt if you happen to get any of the toilet...I mean POOL water in your mouth. Not nearly as salty as the ocean though. The water certainly does seem easier on the skin and hair....all five of my hairs in fact!

BUT, I guess the bottom line is, Disney did not go this route with the rehab of the Fort pool, so all the pee is still being killed with good old fashioned pool chemicals.

jugman
06-29-2009, 09:18 AM

Salt water pools add about 1500.00 to a family sized pool. Not to bad when you only need to add salt sometimes. As far as chemicals go skip the rip off pool stores and go to the discount store and buy all the supplies you might need there. Some bleach, soda ash and something else I forgot. The only thing I've had to do was put some bleach in. If you stay away from the pool stores it's alot easier and a whole lot cheaper.

campingfam
06-29-2009, 02:19 PM
This sounds interesting. I need to consider it for our underground pool. sounds like it would make maintenance much easier.

CampingBandit
06-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Salt water pools add about 1500.00 to a family sized pool. Not to bad when you only need to add salt sometimes. As far as chemicals go skip the rip off pool stores and go to the discount store and buy all the supplies you might need there. Some bleach, soda ash and something else I forgot. The only thing I've had to do was put some bleach in. If you stay away from the pool stores it's alot easier and a whole lot cheaper.

You must know about TroubleFreePool or Pool Forum? :)

BBB: Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda.

tlenzendorf
06-30-2009, 09:57 AM
If its going to be a salt pool, wouldn't tequila make more sense than scotch? Somebody pass the lemon wedges :banana:

AuburnJen92
06-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Isn't there a point where there is enough scotch and tequila and you just don't care anymore what kind of pool it is?:rotfl2:

DaveInTN
06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
If its going to be a salt pool, wouldn't tequila make more sense than scotch? Somebody pass the lemon wedges :banana:
You're right...and I stand corrected! Forget the scotch, and let me introduce you to Fort Wilderness' new pool boy....Jose Cuervo! :rotfl:

ftwildernessguy
06-30-2009, 11:15 AM
You're right...and I stand corrected! Forget the scotch, and let me introduce you to Fort Wilderness' new pool boy....Jose Cuervo! :rotfl:

Jose Cuervo - he is a friend of mine.

You know him too?

des1954
06-30-2009, 12:11 PM

You know him too?

The cuervo gold
The fine columbian
Make tonight a wonderful thing

3gr8kids
06-30-2009, 12:26 PM
I think I've been intimate with Jose :confused3

but I don't really remember..........

2goofycampers
06-30-2009, 12:33 PM
When he's gone he tends to leave a headache behind. :rolleyes:

tlenzendorf
06-30-2009, 03:20 PM

You know him too?

I met him Saturday night. He wasn't very nice to me :eek:

DaveInTN
06-30-2009, 04:29 PM
I love this board! A simple question about whether the pool is salt water, and out of 30 posts 14 of them are about alcohol!

And BTW, Jose was kind of mean to me on Saturday night as well. Just getting over that today.

OK, make that 15 out of 31 posts...

BRDof3
06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
I love this board! A simple question about whether the pool is salt water, and out of 30 posts 14 of them are about alcohol!

And BTW, Jose was kind of mean to me on Saturday night as well. Just getting over that today.

You expect anything less? We're the best at hijacking threads at bottle-point. :thumbsup2

tlenzendorf
06-30-2009, 06:02 PM

Wow, that was long travels for him all the way from WI to TN(or reverse)! I wonder if he borrowed Juan Valdez' donkey for the trip. ******* should have brought me some coffee if he did...

I'm blaming the heat wave we had for how ill I ended up being Saturday night(aka Sunday morning). Yeah, the heat :thumbsup2

DisneyRose&Boys
07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I much prefer the feel, taste, and smell of chlorine to that "other" stuff. Just my $.02.

And Joe C. and I never EVER see eye-to-eye...
Ever.

Ever.

:sad2:

Rose

♥Ariel♥
07-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Saltwater...ewww...I wouldn't set foot in the pool if that's the way it was.

Like most "public" pools, it seems to have a higher chlorine content than the average home pool. If you've ever been in a busy pool you'll understand. Nothing out of the ordinary and not a problem for the hour I spent in it with my son.

Scott

no not like ocean saltwater pools. we have a salt water pool and it is just a subsitute for chlorine and it smells better and it does not burn your eyes but it is just as effective.

Escape Artist
07-04-2009, 11:47 AM
According to the pool repair guys around here, apparently salt pools have lower maintence costs for the first couple of years, but wear and tear on the equipment happens a lot faster with salt. My pool guy said "5 year old equipment looks 10 years old in a salt pool" and they have problems with the salt etching into the stone around the pools. Some of the pool builders I talked to last year used to build salt pools but won't anymore because of it. One of them will only build you a salt pool if you sign away your warranty.

Maybe Disney wants to make their equipment last longer? I was told that if I plan to keep the house longer than 5-10 years, get a chlorine pool, or be prepared for more maintenance costs.

I also read that if you have that public-pool chlorine smell, it's because the chlorine was acting against, um, public pool contaminates, which I really don't want to think about swimming in! But I'm sure the person back on page 1 who understands FC and CC can communicate that better than me!

Sue in Texas
...whose pool, with our heat wave, was 92 degrees last week! :eek: