PDA

View Full Version : Goodings?

seren
06-27-2009, 02:08 PM
We are postponing the trip until January. Thanks all for your information.

Cindy B
06-27-2009, 02:57 PM
I think the Publix down the street on 535 takes them.. I thought I saw someone ask on my last visit.

Nie0214
06-27-2009, 03:48 PM
EBT + layoff, maybe you should reconsider this particular trip?

Lintasare
06-27-2009, 03:50 PM
EBT + layoff, maybe you should reconsider this particular trip?

I am going to agree with this poster. Disney will always be there, your money will not be especially if it takes awhile to find a new job.

PinkRhombus
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Explain to me how you can afford Disney while on EBT (our tax dollars)

Missy1961
06-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I think I'd cancel this trip. Even if you lose your deposit, that's still less money than you'd be spending on the trip.

seren
06-27-2009, 04:22 PM
We have been saving for this trip for a long time. We have already cut our budget for this vacation drastically and with that have plenty of savings until the new job starts (soon, after the person retires). EBT does not count savings only income.

It's my tax dollars as well that support the program and I see no problem with taking a service that I qualify for. I'm sorry that others don't feel the same.

Nie0214
06-27-2009, 04:25 PM
The program is for people who need it or won't be able to eat. If you can go on vacation and have more than enough money in savings for a few months, well I just find that as abuse against those who really need such systems.

But you knew this would come up, since you only have 2 posts on the board. popcorn::

seren
06-27-2009, 04:31 PM
I would lose a lot on airfare also. I am not sure its worth it to just cancel.

seren
06-27-2009, 04:34 PM
But you knew this would come up, since you only have 2 posts on the board. popcorn::

These truly are my first posts, obviously, because I had no idea that someone would be so rude.

npmommie
06-27-2009, 04:38 PM
my SIL works for the food stamp program here. yes it is for people who need it, it is a supplement, not intended to cover their entire food needs.
she can also have a certain amount in savings.
the OP must have met all the guidelines for the program or she would not be getting it.
OP I hope everything works out for you.

seren
06-27-2009, 04:44 PM
OP I hope everything works out for you.

Thank you for the kind words.

MisunderstoodLilo
06-27-2009, 04:55 PM
To the OP...I would try to stay away from Goodings to make the EBT funds stretch a little further. A box of Triscuits was $5.00! Winn Dixie is just a few blocks away and Walmart is a little further up the road (in the opposite direction).

I hope you find magic in your Disney vacation.

seren
06-27-2009, 05:11 PM
5.00! Is Winn Dixie within walking distance from DTD or would I need a cab?

Thank you

MushyMushy
06-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Wouldn't it be so much better for your peace of mind to cancel the trip???

We are nowhere near close enough to be on food stamps, but had to cancel our trip this year because of finances. I can't even begin to imagine taking it if I had to rely on the govt for food. You might lose a little from your deposit, but it would be a whole lot more than what you've probably got to spend right now.

MartinaC
06-27-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure about others posting but, my family of 5 has a trip coming up in july. If I cancelled I wouldn't just lose a deposit. I would lose about 2,000 in airplane tickets then on top the deposits.
So as everyone can see. Sometimes cancelling isn't just a few hundred dollars. It can be thousands.
If you are going to do the trip, Go and have a magical time.

antshelby
06-27-2009, 06:12 PM
I'd go to Disney. Can you pack some food to bring. Try to Google taxis in Orlando and give them a call. Good Luck and have a great trip if you decide to go.

fussymonkey
06-27-2009, 07:02 PM
:idea:

Hi OP,
I have an idea that might be helpful to you:

Check a bicycle in your luggage. Sure it might get tossed around a bunch and you'd have to pay the baggage charge, but think of the savings! Your DH could ride it, you or one of the kids on the handle bars, a couple of bags of groceries hanging from the handle and voila! no need for a cab. And heck, you'd be able to go get your own pizzas, carry out from the grocery deli, everything you could need for a budget trip, just a pedal away!

Also, I think you are wise to go foward with a trip while on public assistance. After all, by spending you are contributing to growing the economy, are you not? As a tax payer I don't at all mind. If you stay in the room next to me at the Pop, though, and stank the place up with a crockpot and a George Foreman, I will cut you. :thumbsup2

Best,
FussyMonkey

Topper
06-27-2009, 07:02 PM
EBT does not count savings only income.

False, EBT counts savings as well....

crashbb
06-27-2009, 07:16 PM
the OP must have met all the guidelines for the program or she would not be getting it.

I don't know about your sister's state, but there are most definitely people here who get around the system and take government money for which they don't really qualify.

seren
06-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Maybe not in some states, but in mine:

Eligibility is based on income. If your income is less than or equal to the amounts in the charts below (based on your family size), you may be eligible for Food Stamps. Income means your household’s total gross monthly income before taxes and your household expenses are subtracted. Benefits from other programs such as Unemployment Insurance, welfare, Social Security or SSI count as income. As of January 1, 2008, most households no longer have a resource test – meaning that the household’s assets (savings accounts, etc.) are not counted for food stamp purposes.

TheZue
06-27-2009, 07:52 PM

Eligibility is based on income. If your income is less than or equal to the amounts in the charts below (based on your family size), you may be eligible for Food Stamps. Income means your household’s total gross monthly income before taxes and your household expenses are subtracted. Benefits from other programs such as Unemployment Insurance, welfare, Social Security or SSI count as income. As of January 1, 2008, most households no longer have a resource test – meaning that the household’s assets (savings accounts, etc.) are not counted for food stamp purposes.

Okay that's just dumb if that's the case. Under that scenario you could have a millionaire who lost tons on the stock market last year who technically didn't have any income getting food stamps. This all just seems wrong.

friskykitten
06-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Our state (FL) only allows $2000 in assets. We were told that we might qualify once we depleted our savings, stocks, IRAs and 401ks. Nevermind that Dave Ramsey and others tell you not to touch your 401k. The state wants it gone before they will offer food stamp help. Income restrictions aside if you have any assets, except for the exempted car and house, you are on your own.

If you have been able to save enough for your trip I would just save the EBT for use at home when you get back. Whatever you do I hope things turn around for you soon!

RobinFabulous
06-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Is EBT a national thing? I thought you could only use it in the state you recieved it from and maybe a neighboring state

MAH4546
06-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks for reminding me why I don't support my tax dollars going to public welfare.

MinnieForMe
06-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi:
We went into Goodings once! Baby food was almost $2.50 a jar. It's insanely priced. I don't know how they stay in business with Super Walmart five minutes away.

I wouldn't even waste your time in that store. I seem to remember someone saying a taxi to the nearest grocery store was around $50.00. Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a car for a day or two?

For what it's worth, I'd probably postpone your trip (can you get credit for your airline tickets for use at a later date?).

seren
06-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi:
We went into Goodings once! Baby food was almost $2.50 a jar. It's insanely priced. I don't know how they stay in business with Super Walmart five minutes away.

I wouldn't even waste your time in that store. I seem to remember someone saying a taxi to the nearest grocery store was around $50.00. Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a car for a day or two?

For what it's worth, I'd probably postpone your trip (can you get credit for your airline tickets for use at a later date?).

We would be able to get credit within the next year. However with the new job starting in August i don't want to be taking a vacation when I need to be focusing on work and establishing myself.

Since we are only staying at Disney for a few days and then visiting family we will just pack some grocery items in our luggage. Thanks all.

seren
06-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for reminding me why I don't support my tax dollars going to public welfare.

I hope you remember how rude you were in this post if you fall on hard times. I pray that you never do.

seren
06-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Our state (FL) only allows $2000 in assets. We were told that we might qualify once we depleted our savings, stocks, IRAs and 401ks. Nevermind that Dave Ramsey and others tell you not to touch your 401k. The state wants it gone before they will offer food stamp help. Income restrictions aside if you have any assets, except for the exempted car and house, you are on your own.

If you have been able to save enough for your trip I would just save the EBT for use at home when you get back. Whatever you do I hope things turn around for you soon!

That's a shame. I think the reasoning behind our system is in case someone does lose their job or has a pay decrease. If you make a family deplete their savings to pay for food and their income is also low, they then qualify for a host of other things, State health, housing, etc. From what I've heard ours was also 2000 for a family or 3000 for elderly before they changed it.

ashleyd725@hotmail.c
06-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I think it is terrible how everyone is speaking so horrible of the OP! Who are any of you to judge someone else... That is not just our tax dollars she is receiving, she also worked for that as well. If she has saved for this trip, can pay for, and has a job starting in august then why shouldn't she go? I could see if there was no job in the near future, then sure maybe she shouldn't go. But for this being a site based around the love of Disney, you would think people could be a little more friendly, shame on all of you and lets hope that any of you are ever in this position, but just remember karma is a B***H!

MinnieForMe
06-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Since you will lose too much money postponing the trip and have the job lined up in August, try to find a way to get to the SuperWalmart to save yourself more money. Your money will stretch so much further there.

I know Florida (the Orlando area) has a great public bus system. If you take the Disney bus down to downtown Disney you could probably hop onto a city bus easily and cheaply not too far from there. One of the seniors we met on our last trip stays for the winter without any transportation of her own and she manages to get from her rental everywhere on the bus line. Just a thought!

MartinaC
06-27-2009, 09:20 PM

I will be at WDW in july. Please, I beg you please do not go during that time. I would hate for my children to run into you or your family. Because I am sure you have taught them your wonderful outlook on life.

We are going to experience disney magic. You might remember the thing Walt dreamed about.

I am 42 now when I was 4 my father left my mother with 5 kids. We were helped by the goverment for several years. Granted I don't remember if we took vactions or not but, if we did I am sure that all 5 of us which have been here paying into the system you hate so much have made up for the money we were given. Not everyone takes advantage of the system. Some people need it for a while and spend the rest of there life repaying it.

1 sister is a RN,1 brother is a printing press operator,2 brothers work in power plants as plant operators and I work in the medical records field. All working hard and paying taxes.

We did not get grants to go to school. We got student loans and paid them off like the rest of the hard working world.

So this family needs assistance right now. I bet they have worked and paid into the system and when the children grow up they will work and pay into the system.

Again, Go to disneyworld with your children and have a magical time. Walt worked very hard for it.

Nie0214
06-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Just charge the whole trip to your credit card, take out a third mortgage, and claim bankruptcy. And don't forget, have a magical time while staying at the Walt Disney World Resort!

Rlbren
06-27-2009, 10:33 PM
duplicate..sorry

Rlbren
06-27-2009, 10:38 PM

I don't believe you were given this information from your local Dept. of Social Services. Food stamps is a federally funded program that is the same from state to state. The reource limit is $2000 unless there is a disabled person or the entire household is on SSI and then your resources are not looked at. I am a food stamp application worker in the State of North Carolina and have also worked as a food worker for the Dept of children and families in Florida. If you have plenty of savings that total over $2000 and you nor any member of your family is disabled, then you have not disclosed your entire situation to your food stamp worker that processed your case. you are now subject to go to fraud for overpayment. sorry but that is how the system works. I am in no way judging you, just stating the facts. Disney is your decision to make....and by the way all grocery stores accept EBT includung sams clubs now.

disneyjunkie
06-27-2009, 10:45 PM
I hope you remember how rude you were in this post if you fall on hard times. I pray that you never do.

Like everyone else here, I'm all for helping those who honestly need help. However, it makes me sick to see people working the system. I'm sick of seeing people who really need the help get turned away, while those who don't, rack up.

If you can afford to pay for a trip to WDW, then you can afford to buy food for your family.

I think it is terrible how everyone is speaking so horrible of the OP! Who are any of you to judge someone else... That is not just our tax dollars she is receiving, she also worked for that as well. If she has saved for this trip, can pay for, and has a job starting in august then why shouldn't she go? I could see if there was no job in the near future, then sure maybe she shouldn't go. But for this being a site based around the love of Disney, you would think people could be a little more friendly, shame on all of you and lets hope that any of you are ever in this position, but just remember karma is a B***H!

Loving Disney doesn't mean you toss common sense out of the window. If you can't meet your basic needs - food,- then common sense should tell you to put your wants on hold - WDW.

seren
06-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I don't believe you were given this information from your local Dept. of Social Services. Food stamps is a federally funded program that is the same from state to state. The reource limit is $2000 unless there is a disabled person or the entire household is on SSI and then your resources are not looked at. I am a food stamp application worker in the State of North Carolina and have also worked as a food worker for the Dept of children and families in Florida. If you have plenty of savings that total over $2000 and you nor any member of your family is disabled, then you have not disclosed your entire situation to your food stamp worker that processed your case. you are now subject to go to fraud for overpayment. sorry but that is how the system works. I am in no way judging you, just stating the facts. Disney is your decision to make....and by the way all grocery stores accept EBT includung sams clubs now.

You are not stating the facts.
That information was copied from here, a NYS website: http://www.otda.state.ny.us/main/foodstamps/#eligibility

seren
06-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Like everyone else here, I'm all for helping those who honestly need help. However, it makes me sick to see people working the system. I'm sick of seeing people who really need the help get turned away, while those who don't, rack up.

If you can afford to pay for a trip to WDW, then you can afford to buy food for your family.

Loving Disney doesn't mean you toss common sense out of the window. If you can't meet your basic needs - food,- then common sense should tell you to put your wants on hold - WDW.

My taking food stamps has no effect on other people who are eligible. AND I am eligible for it the next two months whether or not I take my family to Disney.
You are right, I could lose 1200, take the rest and buy food with it. But I don't have too.
I am not "working" the system. I am taking what is afforded to me by NYS and what they say I am legally allowed to have.

Rlbren
06-27-2009, 11:07 PM
You are not stating the facts.
That information was copied from here, a NYS website: http://www.otda.state.ny.us/main/foodstamps/#eligibility

(There is no resource test for elderly/disabled households whose income falls at or below the amount listed above. Elderly/disabled households whose gross income exceeds these amounts may still be eligible for food stamps, if their countable resources do not exceed $3000.)

Right back at you! This is also from your quoted website. Do have a disabled individual in your family?

As of January 1, 2008, most households no longer have a resource test – meaning that the household’s assets (savings accounts, etc.) are not counted for food stamp purposes.

Please take notice of the word "most"....resources are counted for food stamp purposes...but like I said...I'm not judging you....frankly I don't care....if I did then I would have a hard time going to work every morning.

Enjoy!;)

seren
06-27-2009, 11:13 PM
(There is no resource test for elderly/disabled households whose income falls at or below the amount listed above. Elderly/disabled households whose gross income exceeds these amounts may still be eligible for food stamps, if their countable resources do not exceed $3000.)

Right back at you! This is also from your quoted website. Do have a disabled individual in your family?

As of January 1, 2008, most households no longer have a resource test – meaning that the household’s assets (savings accounts, etc.) are not counted for food stamp purposes.

Please take notice of the word "most"....resources are counted for food stamp purposes...but like I said...I'm not judging you....frankly I don't care....if I did then I would have a hard time going to work every morning.

Enjoy!;)

(Note: there is no resource test unless someone in the household has been sanctioned from food stamps – then the household’s countable resources must not exceed $2000.)

You may have been looking at the wrong section. I hope you give better information to the people that depend on you to help apply.

3_disprincesses
06-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I cannot believe anyone would try and justify a trip to Disney World while they are on government assistance! I volunteer at a radio station that helps underpriviledged families during the Christmas Holidays. I'll never forget the year the family pulled up in their new Cadillac Escalade and told us to hurry and put their kids toys in the back...they were late for their plane to go to Disney World! Needless to say they got nothing from us.

TheZue
06-27-2009, 11:16 PM
(Note: there is no resource test unless someone in the household has been sanctioned from food stamps – then the household’s countable resources must not exceed $2000.)

You may have been looking at the wrong section. I hope you give better information to the people that depend on you to help apply.

Ya because it would be a shame if people had to cancel things like vacations before they went on government assistance.

seren
06-27-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm not judging you....frankly I don't care....
Enjoy!;)

And no, you weren't judging me, you were just trying to discredit me and make me look fraudulent.

disneyjunkie
06-27-2009, 11:18 PM
My taking food stamps has no effect on other people who are eligible. AND I am eligible for it the next two months whether or not I take my family to Disney.
You are right, I could lose 1200, take the rest and buy food with it. But I don't have too.
I am not "working" the system. I am taking what is afforded to me by NYS and what they say I am legally allowed to have.

There are plenty of senior citizens here in NYC (and around the country) who need assistance, but can't get it. Meanwhile we have people receiving assistance while funding expensive vacations, cars, cell phones...

The system stinks and something should be done about it.

wall*e2008

Enjoy!;)

Why is the cash that is available for the WDW vacation not a resource?

Rlbren
LOL...to funny......I just ran a mock prescreen for food stamps on me from your states website and guess what I put in $2500 in resources from a checking acct and ...wait for it.....viola.....I'm not eligible for food stamps.....surprise....surprise...geezzz...imagine that...I'm right....Resources do count in "most" cases..

I'm done here...have fun in Disney on your gov't assistance....

seren
06-27-2009, 11:22 PM
There are plenty of senior citizens here in NYC (and around the country) who need assistance, but can't get it. Meanwhile we have people receiving assistance while funding expensive vacations, cars, cell phones...

The system stinks and something should be done about it.

Do they know the new regulations? Tell them! Help them fill out the forms.

It isn't just about income guidelines. Some people are too ashamed to take the assistance that they are eligible for and that they have paid to create- and from the reactions on this board who wouldn't be!

If you don't like the system, change it. You aren't going to do that by sitting on a disney forum bit**ing a person who has nothing to do with it except take what she's eligible for.

seren
06-27-2009, 11:27 PM
LOL...to funny......I just ran a mock prescreen for food stamps on me from your states website and guess what I put in $2500 in resources from a checking acct and ...wait for it.....viola.....I'm not eligible for food stamps.....surprise....surprise...geezzz...imagine that...I'm right....Resources do count in "most" cases..

I'm done here...have fun in Disney on your gov't assistance....

Not surprising a govt employee can't read.

You Can Now Have Savings and Qualify for Food Stamps
In New York State, the Food Stamp Program now allows you to have more money in a checking or savings account, or even a retirement account or college savings account, without affecting your eligibility for food stamp benefits. As of January 1, 2008, most households applying for food stamp benefits no longer have to pass a savings/resource test in order to get food stamp benefits. This means having money in a savings, checking or retirement account, or having other resources, will not keep you from being eligible for food stamp benefits, as long as you meet the income guidelines.

It is what it is. Sorry you are wrong.

disneyjunkie
06-27-2009, 11:29 PM
And no, you weren't judging me, you were just trying to discredit me and make me look fraudulent.

:lmao::rotfl::lmao:

You're doing a good job of that all by yourself.

(maybe not fraudulent, but not really in need)

nosanity03
06-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Not surprising a govt employee can't read.

Was this comment necessary? FYI...my brother is a government employee, and not only can he read, but he has a Master's Degree. I find this comment to be VERY offensive.

TheZue
06-27-2009, 11:35 PM

It isn't just about income guidelines. Some people are too ashamed to take the assistance that they are eligible for and that they have paid to create- and from the reactions on this board who wouldn't be!

If you don't like the system, change it. You aren't going to do that by sitting on a disney forum bit**ing a person who has nothing to do with it except take what she's eligible for.

Personally I'd rather only take what I'd absolutely need after selling a lot of my assets that weren't necessary. There is absolutely no way I'd be taking other people's tax money just because I was eligible if I could pay for my own food but decided it would be more fun to take a trip. Eligibility does not equal necessity, and I personally feel taking money from the government when it is not a necessity is unethical.

Not only is it unethical in terms of this isn't what people had in mind when they created these programs, but it is also unethical because it will cause people to harbor ill feelings to these programs in general. That could lead to people pushing to abolish them. The government is not an unending spring of free money. The US government is in a massive amount of debt, everyone can complain about "getting their share" that they paid in but the reality is that what is being taken in isn't nearly covering the expenses. Everyone clamming to get what they are "entitled" to only makes it worse.

But enjoy your vacation.

islandmum
06-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Just charge the whole trip to your credit card, take out a third mortgage, and claim bankruptcy. And don't forget, have a magical time while staying at the Walt Disney World Resort!

and dont forget to max out the credit card, claiming horror that they raised the CC interest rates, filing bankruptcy because it hurts nobody except the CC companies (duhhhh ..... they pass their bankruptcy losses onto their customers via interest rates dooofus),

I could go on and on, but to a person who obviously has no shame and is working the system so blatantly - it will have no effect. Yet another example of our tax dollars supporting someone with enough money in their savings account to adequately look after themselves.

Just because the system has a loophole doesnt mean you should jump right in a score. Have some decency and live off your savings if you have the cash - and cancel your vacation, a vacations a luxury not a god given right.

S. C.
06-27-2009, 11:39 PM
:eek:

Rlbren
06-27-2009, 11:44 PM
:rotfl:Not surprising a govt employee can't read.

You Can Now Have Savings and Qualify for Food Stamps
In New York State, the Food Stamp Program now allows you to have more money in a checking or savings account, or even a retirement account or college savings account, without affecting your eligibility for food stamp benefits. As of January 1, 2008, most households applying for food stamp benefits no longer have to pass a savings/resource test in order to get food stamp benefits. This means having money in a savings, checking or retirement account, or having other resources, will not keep you from being eligible for food stamp benefits, as long as you meet the income guidelines.

It is what it is. Sorry you are wrong.

Ok...you know what...I wouldn't slam gov't employees...it appears you came crawling to one to get your food stamps....and I bet you were glad for that illiterate employee....once more you are missing the key word and that is "most" you still have a resource limit.....I guess we just have to disagree...

You should have known not to come onto this board and ask a silly question and not expect to get flamed....:rolleyes:

By the way....if resources don't count that why did the prescreening guide ask for them....and when I put in $2500 it kicked me out for food stamps...it seems to me it would never have asked for something if it didn't count....oh thats right....I can't read.:rotfl: what do I know....I'm just a gainfully employed productive member of society..silly me...

3_disprincesses
06-27-2009, 11:44 PM
LOL...to funny......I just ran a mock prescreen for food stamps on me from your states website and guess what I put in $2500 in resources from a checking acct and ...wait for it.....viola.....I'm not eligible for food stamps.....surprise....surprise...geezzz...imagine that...I'm right....Resources do count in "most" cases...

Why would they ask for that information if it doesn't count?

disneyjunkie
06-27-2009, 11:46 PM

You're right. Some people are too ashamed to apply. And others have no shame.

We're not obligated to apply for all the things we may be eligible for.

. I'm a single mother. I teach in a city funded center. (IE- my salary sucks, but the benefits are great) When my son attended public school, he qualified for the free/reduced lunch program. I never applied because although we qualified, we didn't NEED it. My parents own the building I live in so my rent is dirt cheap. All the money I saved on rent went toward my son's lunch, Disney trips and later tuition when I moved him to a private school.

Again, I'm all for helping those who NEED help. You don't fall in the NEED group.

Rlbren
06-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Personally I'd rather only take what I'd absolutely need after selling a lot of my assets that weren't necessary. There is absolutely no way I'd be taking other people's tax money just because I was eligible if I could pay for my own food but decided it would be more fun to take a trip. Eligibility does not equal necessity, and I personally feel taking money from the government when it is not a necessity is unethical.

Not only is it unethical in terms of this isn't what people had in mind when they created these programs, but it is also unethical because it will cause people to harbor ill feelings to these programs in general. That could lead to people pushing to abolish them. The government is not an unending spring of free money. The US government is in a massive amount of debt, everyone can complain about "getting their share" that they paid in but the reality is that what is being taken in isn't nearly covering the expenses. Everyone clamming to get what they are "entitled" to only makes it worse.

But enjoy your vacation.

I completely agree! Thank you.....you are right eligibility does not equal necessity.:thumbsup2

Actually...what really angers me w/ this program..is the elderly people that have paid into the system their entire lives and now living off of a small social security income that is eaten up by expensive prescriptions and can't afford to buy food and a lot of the times food stamps awards them w/ $16 dollars per month.....breaks my heart...:sad2::sad1:

I'll climb off my soapbox now..

disneyjunkie
06-27-2009, 11:57 PM
I completely agree! Thank you.....you are right eligibility does not equal necessity.:thumbsup2

Actually...what really angers me w/ this program..is the elderly people that have paid into the system their entire lives and now living off of a small social security income that is eaten up by expensive prescriptions and can't afford to buy food and a lot of the times food stamps awards them w/ $16 dollars per month.....breaks my heart...:sad2::sad1:

I'll climb off my soapbox now..

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

seren
06-28-2009, 12:03 AM
:rotfl:

By the way....if resources don't count that why did the prescreening guide ask for them....and when I put in $2500 it kicked me out for food stamps...it seems to me it would never have asked for something if it didn't count....oh thats right....I can't read.:rotfl: what do I know....I'm just a gainfully employed productive member of society..silly me...

Maybe the prescreen is about as helpful as you.

I know what the eligibility requirements are as told to me by my actually very helpful govt employee. Most people do not have a resource requirement. SOME do, but you made it seem as MOST do.

Its not funny. It's very serious that you could be giving false information to people who are in need of your assistance and you could be turning them away from something that they "need"

seren
06-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Was this comment necessary? FYI...my brother is a government employee, and not only can he read, but he has a Master's Degree. I find this comment to be VERY offensive.

I'm sorry you were offended. It was said out of anger and nothing else. He isn't the only one with a Master's. I have one in Library Science and I too will be a public employee soon.

Rlbren
06-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Maybe the prescreen is about as helpful as you.

I know what the eligibility requirements are as told to me by my actually very helpful govt employee. Most people do not have a resource requirement. SOME do, but you made it seem as MOST do.

Its not funny. It's very serious that you could be giving false information to people who are in need of your assistance and you could be turning them away from something that they "need"

I can only hope a dis monitor closes this down....;) This is no longer about Disney but now taking an ugly turn into hatefulness....You are very bitter and sound like you might actually need a visit to the happiest place on earth.:wizard:

I'm glad you got what you wanted....:rolleyes1

seren
06-28-2009, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=TheZue;32466973]

Not only is it unethical in terms of this isn't what people had in mind when they created these programs, but it is also unethical because it will cause people to harbor ill feelings to these programs in general. That could lead to people pushing to abolish them.

[QUOTE]

I appreciate your well thought out post. I have never looked at it this way. I don't think that these programs will ever be abolished, but I do wish there was no shame for people who get assistance.
It is a humbling experience getting on a line and waiting just to fill out the forms, let alone having people stare at you as you pay for your groceries and your other items seperately. I had no idea when I walked into that office that I would get a job offer 1 month later, but I can tell you that I was extremely grateful.
However there shouldn't be a shame in the first place, people shouldn't be judging. No one here knows how long I've been on food stamps, how much of it I'm even getting, or how much I have in my bank. And you don't know the situation of the other person either.

seren
06-28-2009, 12:21 AM
I can only hope a dis monitor closes this down....;) This is no longer about Disney but now taking an ugly turn into hatefulness....You are very bitter and sound like you might actually need a visit to the happiest place on earth.:wizard:

I'm glad you got what you wanted....:rolleyes1

I've already requested that it be shut down. I came here asking a simple question and I was needlessly attacked and for that, yeah I am a little bitter. I don't know what you and the others who posted negatively hoped to accomplish but it didn't accomplish anything.

Rlbren
06-28-2009, 12:37 AM
I've already requested that it be shut down. I came here asking a simple question and I was needlessly attacked and for that, yeah I am a little bitter. I don't know what you and the others who posted negatively hoped to accomplish but it didn't accomplish anything.

Negatively?!:eek: I wasn't the one cussing at people and using language...you were...:sad2: I didn't get nasty until you did...you crossed the line...with your hateful statements.

To answer your original question...yes goodings takes ebt cards....your very helpful illiterate gov't employee should have explained how to use your ebt card to you...

Of course what do I know....in your expert opinion I don't know my job and I am very unhelpful.:lmao:

seren
06-28-2009, 12:44 AM
No you didnt use negative language, I did for which I am sorry for, but your attitude was negative as was others.

Not every grocery store in NY accepts food stamps. I have a few in my area that do not. The EBT workers told me to look for a sign out front or ask them to know if they did. Obviously my state and the one you work for do have differences. Have a nice night.

Rlbren
06-28-2009, 12:56 AM
No you didnt use negative language, I did for which I am sorry for, but your attitude was negative as was others.

Not every grocery store in NY accepts food stamps. I have a few in my area that do not. The EBT workers told me to look for a sign out front or ask them to know if they did. Obviously my state and the one you work for do have differences. Have a nice night.

You have a good night as well.:) Take care and honestly...I hope you and your family have a wonderful time in Disney:hug: I hope everything works out for you and yours.

seren
06-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Thank you. I truly am sorry, I am sure you are a very competent and literate :blush: worker. I was just upset at some of the things that were said. Sometimes people (including me) forget that there are people behind these screens. I am really going to sleep now, these things get addicting.

Rlbren
06-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Thank you. I truly am sorry, I am sure you are a very competent and literate :blush: worker. I was just upset at some of the things that were said. Sometimes people (including me) forget that there are people behind these screens. I am really going to sleep now, these things get addicting.

It's ok.....you take care...:goodvibes sleep well...:lovestruc

JB2K
06-28-2009, 01:18 AM
I have read some posts on this thread where everyone is dispensing some sort of advice to the OP (more often, than not to can the Disney vacation if they are dependent on EBT). Some are cordial, while many are mad (it's probably those bored housewives I keep hearing-about, again...).

I may ruffle some feathers when I say this, but we have no one to blame but ourselves -- doesn't this website...this so-called "Budget Board" encourage everyone to save their pennies so they can spend them at Disney??

Don't believe me?? It's right there in print on the main page...Our motto: 'Any dollar saved or earned is another dollar for Disney!'

As for the OP, they don't get a free pass from me, either -- even though the OP is supposedly "earning their ears", they've obviously been around here long-enough to know "Goodings" is a grocery store near Disney. As far as I'm concerned, OP could've saved everyone some grief and made a quick phone call to the store to get their answer...

Some "real" friendly advice for OP (in lieu of cyber-pixie dust/hugs) -- if you're bent on coming to WDW in spite of your circumstances, there are plenty of Walmarts/SuperTargets nearby. Publix and Winn-Dixie are large, regional grocery chains, too (and all four accept EBT cards because of their sheer size/reach).

akcire
06-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Nothing good can come from this but......

Perhaps Seren can call the ACLU or a similar group and file a discrimination lawsuit against Disney forcing them to take her food stamps at the parks.

I am sure a crafty attorney can persuade a judge that Disney is a right. You know in the same manner that "driving is a right". I am also certain that same said crafty attorney can make a Disney gift shop sound no different than a grocery store.

I volunteer in a food pantry once a week, I see the people who get denied for food stamps. Seren if you do not NEED the food stamps, perhaps you should consider doing a shop for your local food pantry for people who do NEED it. People who have to choose between food and medicine. People who have to choose between food and utilities. People that have to choose between food and housing. After volunteering I frequently feel guilty of all the resources I have, you could use some of that guilt.

My final thoughts Seren you said you are going to be a librarian...maybe you should consider a different line of work. A field that can capitalize on your moral flexibility.

Only you can do what is right.

MushyMushy
06-28-2009, 09:18 AM
I appreciate your well thought out post. I have never looked at it this way. I don't think that these programs will ever be abolished, but I do wish there was no shame for people who get assistance.
It is a humbling experience getting on a line and waiting just to fill out the forms, let alone having people stare at you as you pay for your groceries and your other items seperately. I had no idea when I walked into that office that I would get a job offer 1 month later, but I can tell you that I was extremely grateful.
However there shouldn't be a shame in the first place, people shouldn't be judging. No one here knows how long I've been on food stamps, how much of it I'm even getting, or how much I have in my bank. And you don't know the situation of the other person either.

I agree with you that there should be no shame for people accepting help when they need it. Heaven knows, I am certainly grateful the assistance was there when I needed it. Yes, it is embarrassing to stand in the grocery line and pay for groceries with that card. For some people it's the lowest point in their lives. But for others, it's an entitlement they have, one where they feel that they get to take a luxury vacation while still receiving government assistance. That's what should be shameful. You're not the first to come to the DIS bragging about this and you certainly won't be the last. But no matter how many times it happens, I will never understand that mentality, ever. Disney would not even be on my radar while I'm standing in line to apply for foodstamps. Ever. I just don't get it.

1PrincessMomma1
06-28-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree with you that there should be no shame for people accepting help when they need it. Heaven knows, I am certainly grateful the assistance was there when I needed it. Yes, it is embarrassing to stand in the grocery line and pay for groceries with that card. For some people it's the lowest point in their lives. But for others, it's an entitlement they have, one where they feel that they get to take a luxury vacation while still receiving government assistance. That's what should be shameful. You're not the first to come to the DIS bragging about this and you certainly won't be the last. But no matter how many times it happens, I will never understand that mentality, ever. Disney would not even be on my radar while I'm standing in line to apply for foodstamps. Ever. I just don't get it.

Well said and ITA(although I have never gotten assistance).:thumbsup2. The Dis never seems to fail to shock me. Getting food stamps and going to disney. I had to cancel this year due to medical bills and the high cost of my own grocery budget(even though I have done everything to cut it) and yet someone else gets their groceries for free and the disney trip. America is good if you know how to work the system.

kydisneyfans
06-28-2009, 10:56 AM
For more than a dozen years I have worked early morning hours with drunks coming at me head on during interstate travels. I have hit deer, missed gas station robberies by seconds, and driven through floods to support my family and take them to Disney for a vacation. Now I know that my tax dollars are supporting another family's visit too.

Why is this thread still even open?

mum4jenn
06-28-2009, 02:55 PM
The OP did not ask to be judged. She asked a simple question and all she wanted was a simple answer. If things like that bother people so much they should have left the thread alone entirely. It is cowardly to attack someone on a discussion board. You will never meet this person most likely so you "can get away with it".
Honestly...if any of you were in a grocery store in the Orlando area and you saw someone use an EBT card would you attack them in person and judge them like you have here? Would you let your children see you behave this way?
You never know when you will be in a situation where you need help (if only for a short time) and I hope you are never judged as harshly as people like OP have been. NO ONE has a secure job these days and no one is promised a tomorrow. A year ago I never would have dreamed my DH would be without a job(after 17 years ) but he is now. After his severance runs out he will get unemployment but that will be no where near to what he was making. I have a job and I hope that will get us through.
You all should be ashamed and I hope you never have to be in a situation where you need help.

kydisneyfans
06-28-2009, 03:14 PM
The OP did not ask to be judged. She asked a simple question and all she wanted was a simple answer. If things like that bother people so much they should have left the thread alone entirely. It is cowardly to attack someone on a discussion board. You will never meet this person most likely so you "can get away with it".
Honestly...if any of you were in a grocery store in the Orlando area and you saw someone use an EBT card would you attack them in person and judge them like you have here? Would you let your children see you behave this way?
You never know when you will be in a situation where you need help (if only for a short time) and I hope you are never judged as harshly as people like OP have been. NO ONE has a secure job these days and no one is promised a tomorrow. A year ago I never would have dreamed my DH would be without a job(after 17 years ) but he is now. After his severance runs out he will get unemployment but that will be no where near to what he was making. I have a job and I hope that will get us through.
You all should be ashamed and I hope you never have to be in a situation where you need help.

I have been in that situation and the last thing on my mind is a trip to Disney.

mum4jenn
06-28-2009, 03:55 PM
I have been in that situation and the last thing on my mind is a trip to Disney.

That was not what the OP wanted to know though. She did not ask if she should go. She did not ask if it was moral or not. She asked if goodings took EBT...plain and simple.

OP...I see you have changed your original post. Whether you go when you planned or go later I hope you have a good time and I would look for somewhere other than Goodings to shop.

PinkRhombus
06-28-2009, 09:15 PM

I really don't want to be mean, but I'm trying to understand your line of thinking. I'm being serious here...not mean.

A lot of us are telling ourselves no. I would absolutely LOVE to go there again. My husband works his butt off. I work my butt off. But we have two kids, a mortgage, and are having to put out a lot of money for fixing stuff around the house recently.

We are trying to be responsible adults...and then we see you saying you're getting assistance and STILL planning a trip to Disney.

Sure you might lose money by cancelling, but you are still going to have to put out additional funds that you, obviously, don't have enough of because you're getting assistance.

This line of thinking is NOT okay. It's not. And I really get offended by others who think that just because someone posts something on here that all of us who really do not agree with it should keep our mouths shut.

If only those who agree with the poster are allowed to post encouraging things...than it's going to look like everyone thinks it's a good idea to go along living your life like this. Somewhere along the line these posters got the idea that it's okay to live your life like this and it's NOT.

Come on people. Be a good example for your kids. Do you really want them to grow up to be pulling this kind of stuff? Don't you want them to be smart, successful, responsible and productive adults?

mum4jenn
06-28-2009, 10:27 PM
This thread was NOT the place to voice that opinion. If you do not like the way the system works or how people that do not need assistance somehow end up getting it then do something about it other than bash someone anonymously when all they did was ask a simple question.

I don't know anyone personally on the DIS except two people

Write your senators and congressmen.... start a petition....don't hide on a discussion board. Run for Congress yourself and create a Bill to stop things like this.

I may not agree with what the OP was doing but she did not ask for opinions...she asked if Goodings took EBT cards..THATS ALL!!! Start a new thread about what is wrong with the system.

I used to work at Publix and I used to HATE to have a bride come in and order a $500 wedding cake and pay for it with food stamps and then go get in a BMW of Jaguar. However....I took their order and decorated their cake just as I would anyone else. And I did take action...I wrote the State Senators, and even President Clinton. It did not make a difference but at least I tried.

CarolA
06-28-2009, 11:22 PM

Well.... in your world apparently "two wrongs make a right" You condem the other posters on this board for "judging" and you do what?? JUDGE?:lmao:

I feel sorry for you, but you post comes across as just as bad as the others you want to fuss at.

And to those of you thinking "this is not right" Welcome to the budget board... Sorry, but the truth is that this is NOT a kind and gentle board. The tone on this thread is pretty typical for this board.

And to the OP.... if you don't want negative views on a public board then the best thing to do is not post. Requesting the thread to be closed???? Why?

mum4jenn
06-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Well.... in your world apparently "two wrongs make a right" You condem the other posters on this board for "judging" and you do what?? JUDGE?:lmao:

I feel sorry for you, but you post comes across as just as bad as the others you want to fuss at.

And to those of you thinking "this is not right" Welcome to the budget board... Sorry, but the truth is that this is NOT a kind and gentle board. The tone on this thread is pretty typical for this board.

And to the OP.... if you don't want negative views on a public board then the best thing to do is not post. Requesting the thread to be closed???? Why?

Oh NO dear...DON'T feel sorry for ME!!!!!

friskykitten
06-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Sigh! Unfortunatley, this is true as I can attest to from our own situation that I decided to post on this board a few weeks ago. Right or wrong, it is not in my place to say, some of the posts were not pretty. But I decided to post it on a public forum and made myself take a step back from what was said to really think about everything that was mentioned. It ended up doing me a world of good. We are on our way to changing our entire lifestyle and the way we will handle our finances in the future. We haven't used our credit cards since May and won't until all debt is paid off. Then it will be only one credit card for emergencies. And there will be no Disney trips until our debt is paid off. It will not be easy but as I have found out it is very necessary! To make a long story short, I didn't like everthing that was posted but both the good and "bad" posts were what I needed to help me see what I needed to do and where I really was in our financial situation.

Some of these posts really were way over the top. Worse than what I got. But I think that this OP has been able to see enough to help her make her own decision as to what she should or should not do. I believe they have decided to cancel their trip until a later time when it is more affordable for them. I don't believe Disney is only for the rich and famous. And who knows how long and hard they have saved up for this trip, it could have been for years! Just because someone may be on assistance does not mean they should not get to see Mickey.

I used to work at Publix and I used to HATE to have a bride come in and order a $500 wedding cake and pay for it with food stamps and then go get in a BMW of Jaguar. However....I took their order and decorated their cake just as I would anyone else. And I did take action...I wrote the State Senators, and even President Clinton. It did not make a difference but at least I tried.

I worked at a grocery store in college. And yes, it can be very hard to know that you are eating Mac N Cheese, rice and beans and spaghetti every night while some on food stamps are buying steaks, prime rib, etc. Then some following up their food stamp purchase with cigarettes and liquor. It was really hard for me to curtail my judgement at that point. Mum4jenn was not judging the OP but others were. That was her point to her post. There are several here who are making personal judgements which are very painful and were made only to demoralize and hurt the OP. There isn't a human on this earth who hasn't been judgemental at least once in their life. These boards are the way they are though.

MartinaC
06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Over the weekend reading the post I started wondering.
How many of the posters that have judged this person for thinking of a vacation while recieving EBT, went to college?
My point with that. How many went to college on grants and scholorships?
If they did, did they do any partying? spring break fun?
Shame on you!!!! if you did. Do you think the people that paid for those things paid for you to party and have fun or to go to school and get an education! Did you feel you had worked hard at school and deserved it.
Well this person has worked hard and maybe this is there time to have some fun. Just because they accepted EBT doesn't mean the rest of there lives need to be void of fun.
For all that got there education with grants and scholorships. Hope you have given up fun for the rest of your life because the people gave you the chance to better yourself not to enjoy life.

Disneyadore
06-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Well this person has worked hard and maybe this is there time to have some fun. Just because they accepted EBT doesn't mean the rest of there lives need to be void of fun.

How do we know she worked hard ?
Because she told us?

I'm in NO way judging the OP. I don't know here and wish here only well.
But.... a few days ago we had a similar question here.

People bent over to give a person advice how she could make money. It turned out to be someone who was on this boards a while ago stating she was terminal ill and seeking information from CM.

Ill spare you the details but she was in no way terminal. Just saying you can't believe everyone on his big blue eyes.

Metsfan520
06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
How many of the posters that have judged this person for thinking of a vacation while recieving EBT, went to college?
Shame on you!!!! if you did. Do you think the people that paid for those things paid for you to party and have fun or to go to school and get an education! Did you feel you had worked hard at school and deserved it.
For all that got there education with grants and scholorships. Hope you have given up fun for the rest of your life because the people gave you the chance to better yourself not to enjoy life.

I went to college with scholarships. I did not go on any vacations while in college. I took my first Disney vacation when I was 30 years old, which was the first time I could afford it.

BTW, many scholarships are because of grades, and have nothing to do with financial needs. So if I could have afforded it, I would have gone on spring break vacations with a clear conscience.

MartinaC
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I went to college with scholarships. I did not go on any vacations while in college. I took my first Disney vacation when I was 30 years old, which was the first time I could afford it.

BTW, many scholarships are because of grades, and have nothing to do with financial needs. So if I could have afforded it, I would have gone on spring break vacations with a clear conscience.

Thank you for proving my point. I knew I would get someone to tell me how they worked hard to get good grades and deserved the money they were given. Well, you could have worked hard to get good grades and not taken the money. Student loans are available. You could have paid for it all by yourself.
That is what people are asking this poster to do. Do you think that is would be fair to you?
Is it fair for the poster? If so why.
You did take free money. Why in the world did you take a vaction at all. You didn't deserve it, you took free money.

Nie0214
06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Thank you for proving my point. I knew I would get someone to tell me how they worked hard to get good grades and deserved the money they were given. Well, you could have worked hard to get good grades and not taken the money. Student loans are available. You could have paid for it all by yourself.
That is what people are asking this poster to do. Do you think that is would be fair to you?
You did take free money. Why in the world did you take a vaction at all. You didn't deserve it, you took free money.

You're really reaching.

1PrincessMomma1
06-29-2009, 01:21 PM

The only education I received is the one I PAID for no one else just little old me. So any & every vacation I've taken I deserved and could take knowing my husband & I have ALWAYS provided for ourselves. He also did not take grants/scholorships but instead paid for education. We've also never taken WIC or any other form of public assistance and before you say do your children go to public schools yes mine do however the LARGE amount of taxes I pay more than covers their education as well as those who can not or do not pay taxes for their children to get an education. So chew on that one for a while.

MartinaC
06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Thank you for your post.
I agree with you whole heartedly. You paid for your education entirely and you deserve all the rewards of your hard work.
I also agree with you that your taxes should at least offer you the right to have your children enjoy what your taxes are paying for.
So, my question still stands does the original poster not deserve to do the same? What they chose to do with there portion of it (as long as it is legal) should be there choice.

MushyMushy
06-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Thank you for your post.
I agree with you whole heartedly. You paid for your education entirely and you deserve all the rewards of your hard work.
I also agree with you that your taxes should at least offer you the right to have your children enjoy what your taxes are paying for.
So, my question still stands does the original poster not deserve to do the same? What they chose to do with there portion of it (as long as it is legal) should be there choice.

No. Nobody "deserves" any kind of luxury vacation while they can't put food on the table, period!

It was a nice try with the education analogy, and I can see where you were going with it, but they are two entirely different things. You don't "need" an education to feed a family, but you do need an income to do so. If you've got the money to blow on a luxury vacation, then it should go towards the food on the table, period. NOT asking Joe Taxpayer to fund your trip.

Don't you think the rest of us "deserve" that trip too? Maybe the government should start giving out funds to all the deserving families in need of a vacation!

Metsfan520
06-29-2009, 02:54 PM

I don't think I proved your point--in fact, I was trying to prove the opposite. My scholarship was from the school I attended, not the government. It was not free money--I had to have a certain level of grades & keep my grade point average at that level, or I would lose it. It was also just a small part of my tuition, I paid for the rest of it myself. I didn't take a vacation at all until I could afford it.

The EBT program is there for people who need it, not for people who have savings and/or plan a vacation to WDW. I can't afford a trip to WDW this year, but my tax dollars are helping this person to go on a trip. Can you not understand how that might annoy me?

Metsfan520
06-29-2009, 02:55 PM
The problem here is that your point is not relevent to the discussion. A college scholarship is earned. It is not assistance for those who cannot afford college. It is not emergency public aid. It is funding that is granted to students based on thier merits.

Last time I checked food stamps are emergency public aid, not a reward for hard work and achievement.

food stams <> college tuition assistance. Apples <> organges.

Perhaps if future posters bemoaning thier budgetary woes would have the forethought to simply remove thier tickers, we'd no longer have these issue.

I suspect the OP knew what she was getting into, though, and was enjoying the kerfuffle.

All excellent points, especially the part about the OP knowing what she was getting into. And I love the word kerfuffle! :thumbsup2

disneyjunkie
06-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I'll play

My parents and I paid for my education.

I didn't go on spring break trips. During spring I came home to NY or went to visit family in SC. (I went to college in NC).

I was 33 the first time I went to WDW. (My son was 9)

I don't know what this has to do with foodstamps and WDW.

MsAmerica
06-29-2009, 03:50 PM
This thread is a perfect example of the problem with entitlement programs......They lead to people actually thinking they are entitled to having it all because they somehow "deserve", in this case, an expensive vacation to Disney World despite the fact they are on gov't assistance.....:confused3

I swear, people have simply gone mad.

Also, I am higly offended by the foul language the OP used in a post...Completely unacceptable!!

MsA

mum4jenn
06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
A WDW vacation does not have to be expensive. Best Western Lakeside is going for $25 a night off of Hotwire and if someone already has tickets then all you need to spend on is food and gas. Not everyoe has to stay on site to have an enjoyable time and an affordable time.

PinkRhombus
06-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Ha. After I went to college on scholarships that I worked my BEHIND off for and on money that my parents saved that that I saved...never taking a spring break ANYWHERE except with my parents the one year that my spring break was the same week as my sibling...working all summer long between spring and fall semesters. I took probably 5 or 6 weekend trips with my friends and my now husband TOTAL between graduating and getting married.

My honeymoon was the first week-long vacation I had in...9 years at that point. NINE YEARS!

So, yeah, if you're on EBT, no need to have a life "void of fun" but it sure as hell shouldn't involve Disney. I don't know where in the heck people got the idea that just because something exists that they deserve it automatically.

And it's not about being "perfect". We goof up on things all the time, but we sure as heck don't intentionally do things that are stupid.

disneyjunkie
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
A WDW vacation does not have to be expensive. Best Western Lakeside is going for $25 a night off of Hotwire and if someone already has tickets then all you need to spend on is food and gas. Not everyoe has to stay on site to have an enjoyable time and an affordable time.

The money spent on a trip to WDW; no matter how cheap; is money that can be used to buy groceries. If you can't afford to feed your family, then you can't afford to pay for a vacation.

Adults should be able to separate NEEDS from WANTS.