PDA

View Full Version : OT-Blackberry or iphone?

coastiewifern
06-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Due to some changes in the way we use our phone and our contract is up, we have decided to bust the budget (those monthly data service plans) and get a smart phone. We use At&T and DH prefers to stay with them as we get a nice corporate discount. I trust opinions here and would like to hear what you like/dislike about these phones or if there is another smartphone you like better. DH was looking at a samsung too. I found the iphone hard to use as it is heat sensitive and my nails kinda got in the way??

safetymom
06-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I had a Blackberry and now have an iPhone. It is the difference between night and day. Having the iPhone is like having a mini computer. Once you get used to typing I can go just as fast as my Blackberry.

LizAgna
06-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a BB but I really want an iPhone next...not to hijack but which one do most people get 8, 16 or 32?

cslittle999
06-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I have a BB but I really want an iPhone next...not to hijack but which one do most people get 8, 16 or 32?
It really depends on how much music and video you want to carry around with you. Apps also take up space, particularly games.

I have a 16 and it's full but to honest there is lots of music I hardly listen to that I could remove. I'm just lazy and let iTunes sync everything. My recommendation is to buy the biggest one you can afford because you can't change your mind later.

Tina
06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
I've been on the first generation iphone since day one and love it. I couldn't imagine life without my iphone! I placed the order for the new 3GS last week. I use my iphone a lot at the gym to watch television shows while on the eliptical. With my current 8GB, I'm constantly having to shuffle things around to fit new shows on, so I ordered the 32GB.

I haven't seen anyone with the new BB to check it out, but I have a friend who bought the BB Curve (salesman talked her into it when she wanted an Iphone) and I can't stand that thing. Its way too complicated for her. Anyone can operate an iphone. The BB has a bit of a learning curve. I suspect that the new BB (iphone look-a-like) is much easier to use.

coastiewifern
06-27-2009, 11:08 AM
very interesting! I was really leaning towards the blackberry but now rethinking. I would have to get the $99 iphone for the budget. Is the iphone really easy to learn how to use?

Tina
06-27-2009, 11:14 AM
If you can touch the screen with your fingertip, you can use the iphone. Its that easy. :)

However, one thing to keep in mind is the fragile screen. If you are one that drops your phone a lot or doesn't bother to keep it in a case, you could have problems. I have a friend who has dropped and broken hers THREE TIMES! Luckily, she's a lawyer and can afford to keep buying new ones. The screen can scratch, so you must keep it in a case that protects it while carrying in a purse or similar. I've made it this far with only one small scratch and one little bubble in my screen (I've dropped it twice on the treadmill).

coastiewifern
06-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Yes we have insurance on our phones but I think I remember them mentioning that they don't insure the iphone does that sound right?

Tina
06-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Correct.

coastiewifern
06-27-2009, 12:24 PM
so do I have this correct that with the iphone you pay $30/month for the data? Is that unlimited access? Clue me in on hidden fees please

NikiM20
06-27-2009, 01:18 PM
so do I have this correct that with the iphone you pay $30/month for the data? Is that unlimited access? Clue me in on hidden fees please

yes,BUT dont forget texting if you text $5 for 200 , or family unlimited for $30.

My data plan with my corp. disc. is $25.50 , We also have family unlimited texting because DD and I text ALOT and we are slowly teaching DH how to text LOL.

I do have the 8GB I love it, it has enough room for me to do what I want to do on it. Music, a few videos for DD, and my apps.

Also please dont forget to sync your contacts to your computer.
I learned that the hardway when I had to get a new phone due to a speaker issue and had to find all of my contacts!!

Niki

ETA: Remember that all warranty work is done through apple and not ATT. This is good if you have an apple store nearby. I made an appt for my speaker issue I mentioned , so there was no waiting FOREVER like you do in the att store.

Tina
06-27-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't have a family plan on my phone, so my texting is $20 for unlimited, $15 for 1500 texts and $5 for 200. My data plan is $30. I'm on the lowest available minutes plan for me and that's 450 anytime/unlimited nights & weekends for $59.

coastiewifern
06-27-2009, 02:05 PM
so texting is not included in your data fee and you pay extra for that??

Tina
06-27-2009, 02:10 PM
so texting is not included in your data fee and you pay extra for that??

Correct. If you don't opt for texting, you don't get it. Which is nice for those who don't use it.

bentleygirl22
06-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I have a Blackberry & I wish i had gotten the Iphone...

So Now planning on Buying an Iphone after our Disney trip..
get the Iphone.. you will be much happier with it..

Due to some changes in the way we use our phone and our contract is up, we have decided to bust the budget (those monthly data service plans) and get a smart phone. We use At&T and DH prefers to stay with them as we get a nice corporate discount. I trust opinions here and would like to hear what you like/dislike about these phones or if there is another smartphone you like better. DH was looking at a samsung too. I found the iphone hard to use as it is heat sensitive and my nails kinda got in the way??

NancyIL
06-27-2009, 06:59 PM
I had a basic Samsung flip phone with AT&T, but just switched to Sprint and got a Blackberry Curve. I'm still trying to learn how to type on a qwerty keyboard! :lmao: My brother is on his second iphone - and he loves it.

coastiewifern
06-27-2009, 07:24 PM
I am just back from the store and a proud owner of the iphone. Now I get to spend the evening learning how to work my new toy. We ended up dropping our home line, adding 2 additional lines for the kids. 1400 mins, 200 texts, data plan on 2 iphones, 4 lines total, with our corporate discount=about $160/month I figure another $20 with taxes. This is definately a splurge for us.

a1tinkfans
06-27-2009, 07:58 PM
I am just back from the store and a proud owner of the iphone. Now I get to spend the evening learning how to work my new toy. We ended up dropping our home line, adding 2 additional lines for the kids. 1400 mins, 200 texts, data plan on 2 iphones, 4 lines total, with our corporate discount=about $160/month I figure another $20 with taxes. This is definately a splurge for us.

WOW, thats $2160. a year for the phone, coulda been another small DISNEY vacation, :rotfl2:
I am looking to upgrade my DS phone to the Iphone and based on what everyone is saying seems like it is worth it.
Good Luck with your new phone, hope you'll post how you like/dislike it!

windycitymom
06-27-2009, 11:19 PM
I have the iphone and love it! It is so EASY to use! The iPhone is great for non-techy types. The apps are one of the best features. I'm able to read all sorts of newspapers online (for free). It's great to have your phone, music and videos all one ONE device. I have cut many other expenses lately so I can justify spending $30 for the data (plus the phone is a business expense for me). I recommend buying it through the Apple Store. They will even teach you how to use it if you feel you need the additional help. They hold workshops on the iPhone all the time. Plus, with the Apple iCare plan, it's not only a warranty but they will help you at any time. My next PC is going to be a Mac because of the customer support you get.

Tina
06-28-2009, 09:02 AM

200 texts with 2 kids? How old are they? I would expect them to blow throw 200 texts in an afternoon. :scared: Be careful not to go over. I went over once and ended up paying dearly. I believe the cost is 25 cents per text (incoming and outgoing) once you exceed your limit. As soon as I saw that bill (an extra $50!), I upgraded my texting plan.

coastiewifern
06-28-2009, 05:08 PM
My kids are 6 & 9 and don't even need phones. We shut off the home phones so they will be the upstairs and downstairs phones that they may sometimes borrow when leaving the house. I blocked text messaging on both of those lines (free with AT&T).

Spaceace5150
06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the info in this thread.

If I had a family plan with 2 phones, would I have to pay the data fee ($30) for each phone, for a total of $60, or only once (for a total of $30)?

thanks!

Blue.Fairy2
06-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Yes we have insurance on our phones but I think I remember them mentioning that they don't insure the iphone does that sound right?

AppleCare Protection Plan
To extend your technical support and hardware coverage to up to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone, get the AppleCare Protection Plan. You’ll have one number to call for world-class support, and you’ll receive comprehensive service and support for your iPhone, battery, and included accessories.

Just $69.00 — Simply add AppleCare Protection Plan to your shopping cart after you select your iPhone.

does that coverage not cover dropping your phone?

http://www.apple.com/support/products/applecareiphone.html

Kitzka
06-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the info in this thread.

If I had a family plan with 2 phones, would I have to pay the data fee ($30) for each phone, for a total of $60, or only once (for a total of $30)?

thanks!

if you have 2 iphones it's 30 for EACH iphone's data plan.

coastiewifern
06-29-2009, 12:29 PM
We got 2 iPhones so that extra $60/month is a budget killer. It is a fun gadget though and I have barely begun to explore. Hey everyone iPhone user what is your favorite free app?

SuzanneSLO
06-29-2009, 05:11 PM
My DH and I got the 3G S when it was released on 6/19, but were not able to get a family plan. For 60 days, we need to have 2 individual plans (a total of $140 for 450 minutes each) v. 1 family plan ($130 for 700 minutes shared). Apparently you cannot have 2 3G S phones in the same household at this time. After 60 days, we can merge our 2 accounts into one family plan.

My DH also got a lesson in the fact that the iphone is a small computer, not just a phone and subject to some of the problems that computer's have. He was fooling with the camera just as we got to the front of the line for the Christmas Carol Train Tour and the phone crashed! As a result, he probably speed through the exhibits faster than he otherwise would and did not get to take any pictures. Once he focused on it, he got the iphone (and its camera) back runnning before we wnet into the preview movie.

Even with the set-up hassle from AT&T, we love our new iphones. -- Suzanne

Tina
06-29-2009, 05:25 PM
AppleCare Protection Plan
To extend your technical support and hardware coverage to up to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone, get the AppleCare Protection Plan. You’ll have one number to call for world-class support, and you’ll receive comprehensive service and support for your iPhone, battery, and included accessories.

Just $69.00 — Simply add AppleCare Protection Plan to your shopping cart after you select your iPhone.

does that coverage not cover dropping your phone?

http://www.apple.com/support/products/applecareiphone.html

I don't believe it does.