PDA

View Full Version : Good place to stay near NYC?

blessedby3
06-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Just looking for a good place (city/hotel) to stay outside of the city to take a train in to see a broadway show. Any suggestions would be appreciated:thumbsup2

woodkins
06-26-2009, 06:56 PM
How far outside the city are you looking for? Do you want to be somewhere that you can do other things, or just in close proximity to NYC?

mom2aiden
06-26-2009, 07:58 PM
I like the Hilton Newark at Penn Station. The hotel is connected to Penn Station and you can take a train straight from there into NYC (the PATH train I think?). I've never taken the train from there into NYC as I'm always there on business in Newark. But the hotel is nice and I do take the train in from my hometown and it's nice that you don't have to walk outside to get from the station to the hotel.

Lucky4me
06-26-2009, 10:31 PM
We love staying within walking distance of the shows. Hotwire and Priceline have great rates on 4*'s close to Broadway/midtown. Can't beat $110 for a $350 hotel room!

ClarabelleCowFan
06-27-2009, 12:13 AM
We have stayed at the Springhill Suites by Newark airport. The hotel has a free shuttle to the train station then a quick ride thru the tunnel into the city by train.

We have also stayed at the Homewood Suites in Edgewater. The hotel has a shuttle to the ferry. Quick ride over the water to the city.

CLR4321
06-27-2009, 01:56 AM
I stayed at the Hyatt Exchange Place in Jersey City when I went to the 9/11 memorial in 2002. The rates may have been low just because of the day (less travel into NYC area on Sept 10th on the 1 year anniversary). I paid $129/night. Here is a link: http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp You could catch a boat into Manhattan right across the street from the hotel, which was very convenient. Once you are over there, you can use the NYC transportation to get around. When I booked the room I had no clue it was right on the river, facing the Manhattan skyline. I got in at about 10pm, and glanced out the window and my jaw dropped. Having never been to NYC, having that view out my window was just awesome. Oh, and there is stuff within walking distance of the hotel too.

blessedby3
06-27-2009, 10:14 AM
How far outside the city are you looking for? Do you want to be somewhere that you can do other things, or just in close proximity to NYC?

We would be driving up from VA and looking to stay somewhere easy and take a train or bus in to the city. We would mainly be going to see a play and would only be there for 2 nights (the weekend). We ned a hotel room for 6. Thanks for all the suggestions. Ill be checking into them:thumbsup2

dthogue
06-27-2009, 02:50 PM
We like to stay in Secaucus/Meadowsland NJ area - we usually stay at the Holiday Inn, but there is an Ameri-Suites and Homewood Suites next door. The bus stops in front of the hotel and takes you into the City to Port Authority Bus Terminal. Takes about 15-20 minutes to get into the city - parking is free at the hotel - very easy and convenient. The Holiday Inn also offers the entertainment club discount if you have that.

Tammy

Halle
06-28-2009, 04:10 PM
We've stayed in the Embassay Suites Secaucus. Two room suite, free cooked to order breakfast and evening happy hour.

djbleach
06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
3rd for Seacaucus/Meadowland area. We are also from VA. We usually take the eastern shore route or sometimes 95 (live near suffolk/norfolk)

Priceline has worked really well for us. We bid on the Seacaucus/Meadowland area and have gotten the Holiday Inn mentioned for around 80. And about two weeks ago got the Courtyard for $65.
If you go to biddingfortravel, and look at Ny you can see what others are getting. Plus there's "free rebids"...Also Jersey City Hyatt is also mentioned on the site.
The bus stops near the hotels in the seacaucus/meadowland area. I think bus fare is $3 bucks....I can't remember.
I just took our 5 year old daughter and we had a blast. We didn't do any shows, but she still loved the lights in times square.

gk90
06-28-2009, 10:52 PM
I know that you said outside the city but here's a hostel just a few blocks from Times Square: http://www.jazzhostels.com/jazzontimessquare.php

My girlfriend lives in an apartment building right across from this place--it's a neighborhood that was iffy 15 years ago but has gentrified and is clean and safe now. I can't vouch for the hostel itself (it's quite new and has no reviews on Tripadvisor yet) but for $109 a night for a double room, the location is unbeatable.

Cristy
06-28-2009, 10:52 PM
We've stayed at the Courtyard Marriott located in NJ at the Holland Tunnel and it is adjoining the PATH. I think it is the closest location in NJ before Manhattan. It is the last stop in NJ. There is a mall across the street.

We have also stayed at a Hampton Inn only two more PATH exits away from the Marriott when the Marriott was filled. Free shuttle to the PATH, which was still in walking distance.

PATH is the subway system.

blessedby3
07-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will get to looking some more at your ideas. Ive been pretty busy the last few days with no time to investigate. Thanks again

Keara'sMom
07-01-2009, 11:24 AM
I have to agree with those who've mentioned the Secaucus/Meadowlands area. We've stayed several times at the Embassy Suites, and the bus stop is right across the street from the hotel. After a show in the evening, however, there can be a long line for the buses, as they are often crowded at that time. We witnessed a near fist-fight between a bus driver and a patron who was not permitted to get on the bus due to overcrowding...That said, the hotel is huge and there is a great breakfast (plus, parking is easy).

Because we prefer to be closer to the action, we typically stay in the city now. If you're really only going in for a show or two, though, the Secaucus/Meadowlands area isn't bad!

Have a great trip!!

Oh, do you have your show tickets yet? What are you planning to see?

Teacher510
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
There are also 3 hotels in Lyndhurst, NJ-much nicer than Newark-with Medieval Times next door. Novotel, Courtyard by Marriott and Quality Inn are the hotels.Several bus lines stop right on the corner where the hotels meet. It's about 15 minutes to midtown Manhattan.

pomlover
07-06-2009, 03:09 AM
I know that you said outside the city but here's a hostel just a few blocks from Times Square: http://www.jazzhostels.com/jazzontimessquare.php

My girlfriend lives in an apartment building right across from this place--it's a neighborhood that was iffy 15 years ago but has gentrified and is clean and safe now. I can't vouch for the hostel itself (it's quite new and has no reviews on Tripadvisor yet) but for $109 a night for a double room, the location is unbeatable.

That sounds great, thanks for the link!