PDA

View Full Version : Princess dress for a larger child?

DonnaBelle06
06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
We are going in August and will be having dinner at Cinderella's Castle. My DD would like to wear a Princess Dress while having dinner.

I have checked ebay - but no one has a dress large enough for her. She is going to need probably a size 12 (she's a plus size 7 1/2 yr old).

Any suggestions?????? I have thought about having someone make her a dress (so that's an option too). She def needs one that wouldn't be "itchy" or hot since we'll be there the middle of August.

Thanks for your help!

meanser
06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
How about a first communion dress or flower girl dress? I have a DD9 and we had the same issues when she was younger.:goodvibes

Good luck, hope you have fun!

winniedapooh
06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I also have a plus size daughter, not to mention that at 11 she is taller than I (I am 5'8")!:eek: I have been buying her adult sizes forever. The costumes may not be as decorative as the kid's ones, but she was just so happy to be able to get one. I also found a lady once who made them on ebay. I had a gorgeous one made for my older daughter, then 16. She made a Sleeping Beauty costume. However, it was double lined and wearing it at WDW would have been horrible even on a cooler day. Good luck! :goodvibes

wishtdream
06-26-2009, 03:11 PM
We are going in August and will be having dinner at Cinderella's Castle. My DD would like to wear a Princess Dress while having dinner.

I have checked ebay - but no one has a dress large enough for her. She is going to need probably a size 12 (she's a plus size 7 1/2 yr old).

Any suggestions?????? I have thought about having someone make her a dress (so that's an option too). She def needs one that wouldn't be "itchy" or hot since we'll be there the middle of August.

Thanks for your help!

My DD wears a size 14 dress. The disney store size 12 costumes fit with room to spare.

*pixie*dust*
06-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Since it will be terribly hot--- maybe she could make her own T-shirt or Tank Top and wear that with a crown. You could tie-dye it or get puffy paint, glitter and "jewels" to attach. You could even adorn matching flip flops.

She could then be cute, original and comfortable in the heat.

Gretchen3ajoshmom
06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I run into this problem too...my daughter is 9 and getting big for girls but adult sizes can be too adult.... good luck! Could she wear a princess tee w/ a skort? That's what my daughter(then 8) wore for dinner in the Castle last year (August) and was happy as a clam. Honestly, when we were there last year I really felt bad for the little girls in the princess dresses, they looked hotter than hades, and sweating profusely! Good luck with your search!

englishteacha
06-26-2009, 04:07 PM
What about a pretty sundress?? Or a bridesmaid/flower girl dress? When my niece was 9 she was very tall for her age and none of the children's dresses were long enough. I'd look at second hand stores for anything princessy that fits. You could find a bridesmaid gown and shorten it, perhaps.

kat3668
06-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Here ya go :goodvibes

http://www.costumecraze.com/DISM11.html

http://www.disneystore.com/girls-silver-princess-cinderella-costume/p/1245640/68493/

http://www.buycostumes.com/Alice-Child-Husky-Fairytale-Classics-Costume/32141/ProductDetail.aspx

http://www.buycostumes.com/Minnie-Mouse-Child-Costume/12583/ProductDetail.aspx

JAM3
06-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I would have one custom made for her on etsy. THere are a ton of great sellers on there that sell for a variety of prices. Many of them will custom make the outfit to fit given measurements. A good friend of mine sells on there and does custom stuff all the time. I think this would give you a great fit! Just spend a little time looking around or put a in search of on there and people will make bids on what they can make for you. I will warn you that some are priced outrageous, but others are a steal! Here is a link for you!

www.etsy.com/

Janet Hill
06-27-2009, 12:03 AM

I was just in th Disney Outlet store and they had size 12 princess dresses.

RobinFabulous
06-27-2009, 07:50 AM
I went in Marshalls last week and they had some of the cutest "pettiskirt" sresses.... Basically the pettiskirt and a tank.... Some of those would be cute, and if you google "How to make your own Tutu" they're super easy and cheap to make

chabs
06-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I would try Ebay-I always seemed to find plus size costumes for my DD there.

McKelly
06-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Would she be happy being Tinkerbelle? MY daughter wore the Tinkerbelle outfit that we purchased right at Disneyworld. I think it was size 14 or size 16. It was cool, short and sleeveless. They also have the other princess dresses in larger sizes, they might just be kind of warm in August.

MouseEarsJenny
06-27-2009, 04:33 PM

My DD is 12 and she generally wears a 14/16, but she fit into the Disney Store 10/12 Cinderella Dress, so you could probably go that route. It's very poufy and might get itchy though. Plus, after the hour at Akershus a week from Tuesday, she will probably never wear the $80 thing again. :scared1:

I think the other poster's suggestions about just wearing a princess-like dress or skirt would be more comfortable. The costumes are mostly uncomfortable and expensive. (My dd only got one because all three of her cousins are wearing princess costumes and she didn't want to be the odd one out. Also, she had just gotten selected for National Junior Honor Society, so we justified the expense as a congratulatory present.)

stacy2197
06-27-2009, 10:53 PM
When we were there we saw some girls wearing the night gown princess "dresses" They were still cute and they looked light weight. My daughter made a tie dye shirt with I love chip and dale on it. She was happy everytime she wore it.

brekin67
06-28-2009, 09:20 AM
My DD got a beautiful one from Ebay. It is size 10/12 from last year and it should still fit her through size 14. It came with ears and shoes for $35. You could put the dress in a locker before and after she eats so she does not get too hot. My DD had a custom made outfil from 2 different Ebay sellers for each day. She really enjoyed the attention she received. I sure wish I knew how to add pics. http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/501/thumbs/disney_2008_214.JPG Good luck.

eyor44
06-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Or what about Jasmine. My DD got Jasmine a couple weeks ago and wore it all day. She is very sensitive to itchey clothes. Also Jasmine is a "cool" outfit in hot weather.