PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or does the wishes dessert buffet seem expensive

eliza61
06-25-2009, 07:45 PM
I just read about the new wishes Dessert buffet at the MK.
It seems really great but I keep thinking ~20 bucks/person for dessert?
Ouch. That's almost 80 bucks for my family.

To do or not to do? Am I being cheap?

mermaid&cinderella
06-25-2009, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't pay that much for all those calories:scared1:

pyrxtc
06-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I would pay it. It seems on par wiht Disney's pricing for everything else.

Donnainnj
06-25-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't think I am the one to ask about this. We did the Disneyland Fantasmic Dessert Package when we went about 7 years ago, and I think we paid about $47 for adults for it, not sure what the kids cost us. I booked the Wishes Dessert for our trip in August. The trip is a celebration for my DD's 16th with a few friends coming along. I was looking for something special to surprize them all with, and this became it. Wanted something that we would be able to pay for with our Disney Visa points, and this will leave us with extra. I was really debating before, but when I saw the pictures, I was sold. We usually eat Dessert for dinner or lunch once during vacation, and this will be the night.
Donna

Princess April
06-25-2009, 07:59 PM
well, EVERYTHING at Disney is expensive. (lol) but I don;t know that a reserved sopt for the fireworks and an all you can eat dessert buffet is bad for $20.00 per person....

klineyqueen
06-25-2009, 08:00 PM
It looked like it would be fun. Is it a lot for dessert....I guess. But you are paying for the experience and getting the great view without having to "fight for your space." I guess it is up to you! :goodvibes

mrsbert
06-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Since you asked... I have no desire to fork out more money for a prime spot for Wishes. Our family already has a place we stand each time we view Wishes and we definitely don't need that many more calories added to our trip. :thumbsup2

Dr.Girlfriend
06-25-2009, 08:13 PM
My husband said the same thing. He'd rather get an ice cream and stand on the bridge.

Piecey
06-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey, you get drinks too... and at Disney that is worth like $5 in itself.

I hope they extend it, I'd like to surprise my DH with it.

*Flower*
06-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Where can I find out more about this?

TIA....

Piecey
06-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Where can I find out more about this?

TIA....

http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/06/24/disney-debuts-magic-kingdom-wishes-dessert-party/

a1tinkfans
06-25-2009, 08:56 PM
I booked it for our trip. Am looking forward to NOT being pushed and shoved, stepped on and rolled over, LOL. And I am gonna love trying a "little of this and a little of that"
They only take reservations for 51 people each night and the price is 9.99 for kids 17.99 for adults.
Honestly, my DH just went out for Ice Cream with the DS and it cost him 13.00 for sundaes, so, I figure...good Viewing, no crowd And Dessert...a Bargain to me :lmao:
Can't Wait! ;)

*Flower*
06-25-2009, 09:02 PM
http://www.disunplugged.com/2009/06/24/disney-debuts-magic-kingdom-wishes-dessert-party/

Thanks so much!

I did the Fantasmic Dessert Package at DLR, and this looks really similar. I just wish that they'd do it all year and not just the summer.

mrsbert
06-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey, you get drinks too... and at Disney that is worth like $5 in itself.

I hope they extend it, I'd like to surprise my DH with it.

You know, you've got a point about the drinks.;)

kileybeth
06-25-2009, 09:44 PM
okay, I might have said "no way" until I saw the pics and now I say "oh my yes!"

and it is true, a round of ice cream for the fam isn't going to be that much cheaper. . .

Disney just keeps on doing that marketing genuis thing. . .

wall*e2008
06-25-2009, 09:52 PM
DH wants to try it. He was fine with the price. I hope they extend it so DH can try it.

LuckyMamaInDE
06-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Dh and I discussed this last week while we were at WDW with the kids. We agreed we'd never do it with the five of us.

However, if the Wishes dessert event is offered in October while dh and I are there with my parents (no kids), we'd go for it. My mom is still fragile after chemo last fall and will be using an ECV. A reserved uncrowded spot for Wishes, plus some yummy treats, would make for an enjoyable end to our day :)

kittychatalot
06-25-2009, 10:18 PM
A good dessert at a restaurant is $6- $8 bucks so all that for $17.00 seems cheap to me!

friskykitten
06-25-2009, 10:30 PM
I am sure they will end it before we get back to MK but I wouldn't pay it for my entire clan. If it was just me, DH and one of my kids I might consider it. It does look yummy! I would prefer it if they also included soda as a drink option.

emh1129
06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Oh, I hope they extend this. What a neat idea!

JeMarie6
06-26-2009, 12:16 AM
A good dessert at a restaurant is $6- $8 bucks so all that for $17.00 seems cheap to me!

Looking at just the chocolate covered strawberries, I'd pay it! Those things cost a fortune alone much less so many other options and beverages. But I'd have a hard time justifying it for the whole family.

msmary
06-26-2009, 12:33 AM
I booked this for July 3rd to see the Holiday fireworks.. normally I would not spend $60 for 4 people (2 adults 2 kids) to have dessert. But on a night like this when the fireworks are soooo Popular its will be worth every penny even if we didnt get the food :laughing:

annsteere
06-26-2009, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't do it when we usually go in Oct. (Cooler, no crowds)

But, in the heat and crowds of Aug it sounds more reasonable.

Maybe people who think like me are the reason it won't be offered in slower seasons.

Shelli_5
06-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I doubt if I'd be able to eat $18 worth of dessert, but it sure does look fabulous! Thanks for posting the link to the pictures.

NeedaVacation03
06-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I said that I wouldn't, but then I did. I booked it for DD5 birthday on July 8th.
I wanted something special and this looked like fun. There are 6 of us for a grand total of $98. Not cheap, but it is our night out on our budget trip.:cool1:

The Princess
06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
I would so do it!!!!

HunnyPots
06-26-2009, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't do it. First, because I'm way too cheap!;) Second, I'm the only real dessert eater in my family, but on a hot summer night I'm thinking it would be too heavy even for me.:sick:

disneymomjcs
06-26-2009, 09:18 AM
:confused3I agree it is expensive but not for Disney.

My friend who is a single mom with no $$ support from ex is in WDW with her girls. She cried after she paid the bill for the Liberty Tree Tavern. $105.00 and then cancelled her other reservations.:scared1:

I am disappointed that Disney raises prices for meals during Christmas, Easter and other busy times. They already are charging more for accomadations at peak times, preferred sections, pirate rooms. Just feels like they want every penny.

Now I Love Disney and we go at least three times a year but I do see that everytime they figure out oh people want a closer room charge more. Or thats a big hit charge more. It does price people out of being able to afford meals at Disney.

Oh and they cancelled the characters back in December so you still pay a huge amount and no characters a Liberty Tree.

done with my rant

Malibelle
06-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't think it expensive for what you get. Great viewing spot for Wishes, awseome desserts, you feel a little like royality when everyone not at the party is looking and wishing they were there. $17.99 I think is one of the lower end extras they offer. Think about it, how much does it cost you just in food to go to a movie these days, a popcorn and soda cost me $13 and thats not including the ticket.

Ava
06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
I won't be back to WDW for a few years so who knows if they will still be offering this, or offer it at the time of year I go, but it does look yummy! A little bummed that I'd now have to pay for my formerly free viewing spot though. We watched Spectro/Wishes from the then-empty Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace on our last trip in 2006 and it was a great spot. I guess Disney realized that they were wasting a prime piece of real estate by leaving that section empty!

WDW1st-timers
06-29-2009, 09:19 AM
I hope that they extend it because I also want to do this.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

happygirl
06-29-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm sorry if this has been asked already can you use the dinning plan in anyway. To pay for this

RobinFabulous
06-29-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry if this has been asked already can you use the dinning plan in anyway. To pay for this

No it's not a part of the dining plan

idofabric
06-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Can you use the Tables in Wonderland discount? Or just a PAP discount? I would hope that we could, but betting we can't... I guess I need to make a phone call, and hope I can get it for next week!

Shelly F - Ohio
06-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Can't imagine eating all those calorie/sugar before bed! Not worth the price. If you want just buy your own dessert grab a few forks and share it with friends/family. Better yet grab a bag of popcorn and share it. And put the money you would have spent to better use!

bjgrazi
06-29-2009, 11:26 AM
If they have it when we go in December we will do itl. I think it's such a fun idea. We'd skip dinner and have dessert for dinner, it's vacation after all.

kckmom
06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
This looks great! Love the pictures, asked DH and he said we should do it, only problem, we might be going to MK only one time this trip and we have other things planned samed day. Oh well, has anyone made ADR yet for this?

WDW1st-timers
06-29-2009, 10:04 PM
If they have it when we go in December we will do itl. I think it's such a fun idea. We'd skip dinner and have dessert for dinner, it's vacation after all.

We will see you there also if they offer it in December.:flower3:

Justsyd2
06-29-2009, 11:48 PM
We were at WDW at the beginning of June. After not being able to breathe or move in the Spectro Magic crowd for 20 minutes, we made it over to this area to watch Wishes, only to be yelled at by people who said they'd been sitting there for 2 hours. They told us to leave.

Would we pay $20 each to have a nice view of Spectro and Wishes without being crushed and yelled at -- oh yeah, sign us up, plus we'd get dessert and drinks too. Doesn't get much better than that! :lmao:

nunzia
06-30-2009, 07:39 AM
WOW! What a spread and what a bargain! DLR Fantasmic Dessert is almost 3 times the cost and 20 times less food...

Pooh_Friend#1
06-30-2009, 08:40 AM
I would definitely do this at least one time!

livie1205
06-30-2009, 08:43 AM
no way would I pay all that money to fill up on desserts...now a buffet yes this no...I do not need the bigger pants size lol We just go over to the poly and watch from there,we get drinks from the pool bar and not fight the crowds of people leaving!

punkin
06-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I haven't seen this before...I might do it, just because I get really angry at rude people (and probably become rude in response) while watching the parade and fireworks.

The extra calories are not something I need though.

Ozymoe
06-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I just read about the new wishes Dessert buffet at the MK.
It seems really great but I keep thinking ~20 bucks/person for dessert?
Ouch. That's almost 80 bucks for my family.

To do or not to do? Am I being cheap?

I have read all these postings.

Y'all don't know the territory. In the busiest prime season, summertime, I'd set myself down on the curb near the ice cream shop on Main Street (making space for all my party...using strollers, wheelchairs, bags, children (lol) 2.5 hours before Wishes...earlier if I wanted everyone to view the Spectromagic parade...then when my family arrived (45 min-1hour before Spectro) I would send a couple of them to get fabulous ice cream sundaes in waffle dishes (or cones if you think you will eat them before they melt (there are lots of other options, but these are the ones I'd chooose for the best longetivity/enjoyment lol) If I would spend $80 for four...each of them would be treated to TWO treats at least, probably three!...not that they would even want all that.

THEN...we would all talk, while waiting with the ice cream (maybe two ice creams) and the start of SpectroMagic. We might go across the street to Casey's and get a couple of french fry orders, go to the condiments section there and pump two condiment cups with hot cheese to dunk the french fries into)..and share while we wait for Spectro.

If you only want the fireworks...hello, stand in the middle of the street after Wishes.

Karenj2
06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't think we deliberated more than 2 seconds before calling to make reservations!!! :rotfl:

I saw the post about it here, sent the link to my sister, BIL and hubby, and even BIL responded with "do you even have to ask???" He knows my sister and I VERY well.

For those that don't want the calories, there IS fresh fruit!! (Not just the chocolate covered strawberries - they're MINE!!)

csmommy
06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally I SO wanted to do this. Then I took a step back & said ~

On the DDP I get dessert with every meal.
I also get a snack credit.
Do I need to then spend an extra $80 for MORE suger?

So we decided no.

eliza61
06-30-2009, 11:49 AM
For those that don't want the calories, there IS fresh fruit!! (Not just the chocolate covered strawberries - they're MINE!!)

$ 80 bucks for fresh fruit? :scared1:

IDoDis
06-30-2009, 12:29 PM
OMG, eating those desserts will take a year off of your life -- seriously!! I can't even begin to imagine the fat and calorie count of eating even just 5 or 6 of those desserts, and most people will eat more! I'd be willing to venture it would be enough fat grams that a person should have in a week though! I love dessert, but doing a dessert buffet like that would be so unhealthy and to pay that much for it to boot? No thanks.

ocalla
06-30-2009, 12:40 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking!!! My family could just share a couple of salads or burgers early in the evening, and save TONS of room for the dreamy looking desserts!!! :love: I would rather pay this (of course the older I get the sweeter my tooth gets) than for the food they offer for character meals. I hope they continue to offer this one, besides I could use a little sugar rush after Wishes just to make it back to the bus and resort!!!

twinmom
06-30-2009, 08:18 PM
When you make reservations do you have to put it on your credit card to hold it or do you just make the reservation?

I cannot believe the pictures. There is so much food. :woohoo: How many people are allowed each night? Anyone know?

Laurie

JerseyMamaBear
06-30-2009, 08:51 PM
yummy! I would soooo do this. But then again, im the one who on our anniversary trip last year paid for Chef Mickeys just to get dessert and to be silly. Now that being said, it would be while my 2 youngest were under the 3 year mark and would only be a one time deal.

mommyoftwinfants
07-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Started a who's going when thread. Stop by and post your dates
Official MK Fireworks Dessert Party (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=32521056#post32521056)

please post your review or link to your review to that thread if you have made one Thanks!!!!:wizard:

Pigeon
07-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Personally, I think it's outrageous. The Fantasmic dinner thing (I don't know if they still do this or not) made some sense because you got dinner, which you'd probably be buying one way or another, including a selection of desserts. But this, to me, is just a total waste of money.

WDW1st-timers
07-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Personally, I think it's outrageous. The Fantasmic dinner thing (I don't know if they still do this or not) made some sense because you got dinner, which you'd probably be buying one way or another, including a selection of desserts. But this, to me, is just a total waste of money.

Yeah but some people have money to waste.:rotfl: And if any of you wasteful people out there want to waste money on me too I'll send you my wish list.:lmao:

Mickey527
07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I am thinking of doing this only because this trip in July might be the last time I can eat all those desserts in one sitting.
Due to some physical disabilities I am no longer able to exercise the way I used to and have been gaining weight alot faster than I should. I am not eating more, just can't exercise.
My Dr has been concerned because of my cardiac and lung problem history so he has recommended a lap band and my insurance will be paying for it.
So now I have to maintain or gain, not lose,until August when I have the surgery.
I think it is a bit overpriced but within reason. I am a sweets-a-holic so this might be my last chance to eat more than I should.

dsnymomof4
07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
When I first learned about the dessert party I thought it was expensive. But, then I logged onto the dis one day and followed the link of the review of the dessert party. HAVE YOU SEEN THE PICTURES OF THE DESSERTS?:love:
So, I mentioned it to my girls and showed them the pictures - they really want to go. Then I mentioned to DH and he said book it. I said it would be too expensive - we are a family of 7! He said he didn't really want to go, but I can take the girls and that would be his birthday present to me!:yay: Then this morning I was reading another thread about the dessert party and how some dates were sold out and others were having problems getting reservations. So, I called this afternoon and booked for our first night - I wanted it to be on a night that Spectro was running, since it won't be running every night when we're there. You do have to prepay and you have to cancel more than 24 hrs for refund. I am SO looking forward to this - the yummy desserts as well as being able to relax and not worry about finding a spot 2 hours ahead of time to watch Spectro and Wishes! I think it's going to be great!

Rozzy
07-02-2009, 03:54 AM
We have been thinking about this as well and would love to book it for August 1st, our first night. However, is it a good idea to fill the 4 and 6 year olds with sugar, especially the night before our first full day? Of course, we all know the answer!:tigger: :banana: But then again, it IS vacation, as others have said.

What to do, what to do...

I suppose I should check to see if they have spots left before I get too philosophical about it, huh? :earsboy:

eliza61
07-02-2009, 06:23 AM
I've decided to skip. We are seasoned wdw vactioneers and we've seen wishes a number of times. We love desserts but really are "only 1 piece of cake type" of family. so right now, I probably would prefer to put the 80 bucks (family of 4) toward some thing else.

It looks very yummy though. LOL

starwood
07-02-2009, 07:05 AM
When you make reservations do you have to put it on your credit card to hold it or do you just make the reservation?

I cannot believe the pictures. There is so much food. :woohoo: How many people are allowed each night? Anyone know?

Laurie

You need to give your credit card info when booking and it is charged immediately. You can cancel up to 48 hours before. FYI the total with tax is $19.16

idofabric
07-02-2009, 07:06 AM
I took about 2 seconds to decide to do it! I don't think I will eat a lot of the desserts,heheh:rotfl2:, but I am taking to guys that are 18 and they will! Both just grad from HS, and one is going into the Marines soon and works out 2xs a day. He used to live in FL and go to WDW a few times a month but hasn't been in 10 years. So he will love it! And we got the $99 Military tickets for them.
I called last night, July 1 for this coming Mon, July 6 and had no problem getting any day next week I wanted. I did call very late last evening... Great CM helped me! We did have to pay in advance, and there are NO discounts for PAPs or TIW holders.
I usually love dessert, but not ones that pervert the choclate with a lot of fruit. I like my choclate and fruit divided and alone, thank you very much!
Any way, I will try and let you all know what we think about it when we get home next weekend...

rumrunnergirl
07-02-2009, 12:44 PM

nunzia
07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally I SO wanted to do this. Then I took a step back & said ~

On the DDP I get dessert with every meal.
I also get a snack credit.
Do I need to then spend an extra $80 for MORE suger?

So we decided no.

See..at DL I don't look at it as more sugar, i ask..is it worth it to have a nice place to watch without crowding and have a CHAIR? They had me at CHAIR...and Fantasmic is 60 PP.
There are always better use of money..like..not going on vacation. So we live super cheap year round and splurge on vacation. I'll be taking 5 for the fantasmic dessert..ALOT of money, but worth it to us. And no, we don't make big money or even decent money. I guess it's all about choices. I would jump at this in WDW, but I won't use the dining plan because I don't need that much food daily and not even the CS plan, since I'd just as soon get kids meals most of the time.

mom2taylorandemily
07-02-2009, 02:51 PM
We actually made a ressie for this, we are going for DDs 10th Birthday. When we started looking at Birthday cakes that can be ordered, the prices were outrageous, and we couldn't decide on what to order her. Then WDW came out with this, and the price is less than the cake we were trying to decide and we get way more choices for her. I was able to put on our ressie that we will be celebrating her 10th Birthday and that they will see if they can do something for her. Even if they don't, in my book it was a great deal.

csmommy
07-02-2009, 04:32 PM
See..at DL I don't look at it as more sugar, i ask..is it worth it to have a nice place to watch without crowding and have a CHAIR? They had me at CHAIR...and Fantasmic is 60 PP.
There are always better use of money..like..not going on vacation. So we live super cheap year round and splurge on vacation. I'll be taking 5 for the fantasmic dessert..ALOT of money, but worth it to us. And no, we don't make big money or even decent money. I guess it's all about choices. I would jump at this in WDW, but I won't use the dining plan because I don't need that much food daily and not even the CS plan, since I'd just as soon get kids meals most of the time.

F! dessert for $60 per person? As far as I know that is a dinner & the F! part ~ including seating ~ is free. I do need dinner & is it covered by DDP which I have. What I do not need is another dessert on top of the one I get with my dinner that is included under DDP & the dessert I get with my CS meal which is covered by my DDP on top of the snack which is also covered under my DDP. Now, of course, I could get all healthy desserts & snacks during that day & then shell out an extra $17.99 per person x 4 people + tax & gratuity for all the sugar I can eat & a seat under an awning ~ which may or may not obstruct my view. But, like you said, it is vacation so if it comes with my meal plan ~ great ~ if not I will save my money for something else. :3dglasses

idofabric
07-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Disney has had dessert parties at Epcot for Illuminations for awhile. Brides book them all the time and I had one at my wedding in May. I paid $25 per person (plus tax and tip) for 11 people to sit right up front and stuff our faces on dessert for an hour while we watched the fireworks.

DEFINITELY worth it!!!

I would so do this at ECPOT!! It is my DHs fav park, and he/we always hit Illuminations at least once a trip. If we are there longer then 3 nites then it is 2xs a trip... I don't mind as they have Champange/beer there....

csmommy
07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I would so do this at ECPOT!! It is my DHs fav park, and he/we always hit Illuminations at least once a trip. If we are there longer then 3 nites then it is 2xs a trip... I don't mind as they have Champange/beer there....

Oh ~ could you just imagine a "Drinks around the World" with dessert while watching Illuminations package. :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

Epcot is my families favorite also. :dance3:

Inkmahm
07-04-2009, 11:01 PM
I don't think I am the one to ask about this. We did the Disneyland Fantasmic Dessert Package when we went about 7 years ago, and I think we paid about $47 for adults for it, not sure what the kids cost us. I booked the Wishes Dessert for our trip in August. The trip is a celebration for my DD's 16th with a few friends coming along. I was looking for something special to surprize them all with, and this became it. Wanted something that we would be able to pay for with our Disney Visa points, and this will leave us with extra. I was really debating before, but when I saw the pictures, I was sold. We usually eat Dessert for dinner or lunch once during vacation, and this will be the night.
Donna

It's $59 per person now and I'm considering booking it for DH and myself on our trip to DL in August. The WDW price seems really cheap to me in comparison.

CindyKansas
07-04-2009, 11:19 PM
We did the one at DL a few years back and I would gladly pay $20 for Wishes at WDW and have dessert. I hope they extend it too. I am headed that way in August, but DH and DD won't be able to come back until October and December. Looks very good.

2littlez'sandme
07-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Hoping they will have the Wishes Dessert Buffet when we go in Nov.
The boys would love watching the fireworks from there and dessert would be a bonus.

nunzia
07-05-2009, 08:26 AM
It's $59 per person now and I'm considering booking it for DH and myself on our trip to DL in August. The WDW price seems really cheap to me in comparison.

That's how I feel. Amazingly cheap..I bet they raise the price :( Hope they still offer this in January when I go.
Like I said before, the F! dessert thing is all about the chair and the open space..not the food. But worth it during busy times. I still think the dining plan is way too expensive and way too much food. We can eat very cheaply, but the little splurge for F! is worth it.

InLoveWithDOTS
07-05-2009, 08:55 AM
F! dessert for $60 per person? As far as I know that is a dinner & the F! part ~ including seating ~ is free. I do need dinner & is it covered by DDP which I have. What I do not need is another dessert on top of the one I get with my dinner that is included under DDP & the dessert I get with my CS meal which is covered by my DDP on top of the snack which is also covered under my DDP. Now, of course, I could get all healthy desserts & snacks during that day & then shell out an extra $17.99 per person x 4 people + tax & gratuity for all the sugar I can eat & a seat under an awning ~ which may or may not obstruct my view. But, like you said, it is vacation so if it comes with my meal plan ~ great ~ if not I will save my money for something else. :3dglasses

We are using our TS credit for breakfast on the day that we have booked the Wishes Dessert Party, so we wont have just eaten dessert anyway! After being pushed and shoved during the parade in MK in Nov, I am all about getting a nice comfy area for us and the 4 kids to watch the parade and fireworks! Plus, I LOVE dessert!

Shelly F - Ohio
07-05-2009, 09:13 AM
For the price of one person to go to the buffet you could buy a few desserts and a few forks a share and not spend nearly that amt of money.

Then take your dessert and go over to the beach at the Poly and watch the fireworks.

labdogs42
07-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I'll let you know my thoughts after I go to one on August 27! To me, it seems like a pretty decent value (well, for Disney), but I'll know more once I see how good my view is and how many desserts I manage to consume!

Inkmahm
07-05-2009, 10:27 AM
F! dessert for $60 per person? As far as I know that is a dinner & the F! part ~ including seating ~ is free.

Nope, no dinner. Just dessert and a chair to watch Fantasmic at DL.

csmommy
07-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Oh Disneyland ~ I'm thinking F! at WDW. I haven't been to DL since I was 10. WDW is a lot closer fior us.

$60 for dessert is crazy! :eek:

I guess I'm just to cheap for that.

Deb & Bill
07-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks so much!

I did the Fantasmic Dessert Package at DLR, and this looks really similar. I just wish that they'd do it all year and not just the summer.

We did the Fantasmic Dessert Package at DLR as well, a few years ago and spent about $50-60 per person. It was limited to about 15 people for the upper level. Not sure how many people were on the ground level.

The best part for us, on that night, Fantasmic was cancelled at the last minute, so they refunded our money - after we had eaten all the desserts.

So we watched Fantasmic on another night we were there without the desserts.

budbeerlady
07-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I have been trying to get in for our trip but nothing is open! This is harder than Le Cellier was!!!!!!!

We really, really wanted to try this!

Princess Disney Mom
07-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Count me out. I don't need any more calories and it costs too much.

WETWHISTLE
07-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I wish they were offering that when we are going! I'd do it in a heart beat! I really don't think $17.99 is a bad price for it.

NeedaVacation03
07-14-2009, 09:29 AM
We did the dessert party on July 8th and loved it. We would do it every time without question. It was worth the money to me. We took the kids in(4 of them) and it made for a wonderful end for my daughters 5th birthday. We were able to go ride Buzz Lightyear several times afterwards without a line.
It was great!!

Ava
07-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Do kids under 3 get in to this for free like any other buffet meal?

maggiew
07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
OK. I wasn't going to do this but then I saw the pictures! We are eating at the castle for lunch that day so maybe we will just pick up a small counter service meal (hot dogs at casey?) for dinner so we have room for some dessert! I cancelled my Grand Floridian Cafe reservation for that night, so in the end I probably saved money! (We are not doing the dining plan.)

I got a reservation for 9:20 pm. Spectro starts at 9 pm, though. Do you think we can check in early? I know that for most ADRs they were telling us to show up 20 minutes early.

Maggie

dsnymomof4
07-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Do kids under 3 get in to this for free like any other buffet meal?

Yes - when I booked for 3 adults and a 1yo, they did not charge for him.

Our reservation is for 9:10, but I also plan on showing up early to watch Spectro!

gymboqueenkaylee
07-14-2009, 10:37 AM
I do think it's a little high but once you see that everything at Disney is expensive and it's reasonable when you think of it that way, it's ok to me. We are going to this on our next trip. I'm excited. I've been good dieting so I might splurge and have a try or two...or three of some of the stuff. I think I'm more excited about seating for the fireworks though.

idofabric
07-14-2009, 10:32 PM
We did this on July 5. The only problem I had was that they started to clear the tables of food and drink the minuet we left to either get something else, like when we had desserts and needed drinks or went to view the fireworks. This caused me to make 3 trips to get 1 drink.. I got dessert about 5 min befor Tink was to fly, went for water and coffee, came back the desserts were gone. Went for dessert and left the drinks, came back the drinks were gone... and so it went! I missed Tink flying, and was very peved!
I did ask for the CM Manager and when she came I told her that I missed most of the firworks defending my drink/food, and she said that the serving and clearing CMs should not have done that. We were sitted right under the wire Tink flys in on, and was less then 8 feet from the railing you stand at to watch the fireworks. Also the offical time for dessert is from 9pm to 10pm. We were told to show up at 9:20pm, good thing we went at 8:50! We were shown to the wrong part of the terrance... and brushed aside when we asked for help to find our assigned table, which had my last name spelled wrong...
BUT it was great! The desserts were very good, the fruit was out of this world. The drinks were ok, no soda or milk. But they would get it for you...
The CM manager did say that there was talk of making this an extended option.. on none MNSSHP or other party nites. But it would have to cost more. She said that when they started most guests ate 7 desserts and had 2 or 3 drinks. Now the average is 14 or more per person. I told her that if it went up to $20 I would do it- if I could keep the food/drinks at the table! But if it was over that it would not be worth it to me.
The 2 18yo guys liked it a lot! And did not eat as much as I had thought they would as they spent a ton of time taking great photos with cell phone and cameras.

maggiew
07-14-2009, 10:48 PM
She said that when they started most guests ate 7 desserts and had 2 or 3 drinks. Now the average is 14 or more per person. .

People eat 14 or more????????????? wow! I was thinking I would have 2 and a tea!!!

Maggie

Magical Mama
07-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Any word on if they are going to extend this? As of now, only runs through August? :confused3

KelsiesMommy
07-14-2009, 11:43 PM
way better than paying $60/pp for Fantasmic dessert buffet at DLR!!

budbeerlady
07-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Yes - when I booked for 3 adults and a 1yo, they did not charge for him.

Our reservation is for 9:10, but I also plan on showing up early to watch Spectro!

Maybe I am thinking of the wrong place but I am pretty sure you wouldnt be able to view Spectro from the buffet location. I might be wrong but doesnt spectro run from main street, around the hub,thru liberty and into frontierland? Its been a while, I might be wrong...

dsnymomof4
07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Maybe I am thinking of the wrong place but I am pretty sure you wouldnt be able to view Spectro from the buffet location. I might be wrong but doesnt spectro run from main street, around the hub,thru liberty and into frontierland? Its been a while, I might be wrong...

Oh, your're right. It won't be a GOOD spot to view Spectro, but we will be able to see it off in the distance. We've seen it up close many times, so just being there eating all those yummy desserts and hearing the Spectro music (love that music!), and relaxing and having a good time - what could be better?

delmar411
07-15-2009, 09:17 AM
People eat 14 or more????????????? wow! I was thinking I would have 2 and a tea!!!

Maggie

I'm wondering if the increase in desserts is because they are too active in clearing the tables? If they just left it alone people might be able to eat the dessert they just picked up instead of going and getting a new one. ;)

InLoveWithDOTS
07-15-2009, 09:23 AM

The CM that we booked with said we would be able to see it..... I dont know how true that is.

labdogs42
07-15-2009, 09:56 AM
The CM that we booked with said we would be able to see it..... I dont know how true that is.

The pictures here on the DIS blog showed that you can see it. It looked like a decent view to me (especially if you have seen Spectro before)/

maggiew
07-15-2009, 10:05 AM

But the point is that her reservation is at 9:10 and Spectro starts at 9. So will she be able to get in early in order to see Spectro?

Our reservation is at 9:20. I plan to show up around 8:50 so that I can hopefully see Spectro.

Maggie

kckmom
07-15-2009, 10:33 PM
I have been trying to get in for our trip but nothing is open! This is harder than Le Cellier was!!!!!!!

We really, really wanted to try this!

Tell me about it! The reviews are pretty good on the Dis, so it makes it even harder to know that we can't get a rezzie!

Sad that we are not booked, but you never know, I call sporadically, and I will be walking up the day we are there, might get lucky! ;)

Good luck to all! Those booked already, have a blast!

sonnesolsun
07-17-2009, 07:32 PM
We just got back from Disney and were at the dessert buffet on the 12th! It was FABULOUS!!!:banana: There were 11 of us in our party and it was no problem at all. We saw Spectro from it (we checked in at 8:45, ressie was at 9:00) and we were seated before it started. The desserts are DELICIOUS and plentiful!!! Tinkerbell flies right over your head and the fireworks are amazing!!! Plus, there is a photopass person there taking pictures for you with the castle as the backdrop. Our pictures turned out wonderful!!!

I would highly recommend this to anyone who can still get in!!! This is how we ended our trip. And it was a special surprise for my DD6, DS4 (for their bdays, it was DS4's b-day that day) and DH as well for our 10th anniversary.

EVERYONE loved :love: it!!!

starwood
07-30-2009, 08:34 AM
We just did this on Saturday. Here are my thoughts. I loved not having to fight for a spot for the parade. However, I think there were way too many people there (lot of overtired screaming children). You can see spectro but everyone was talking and not paying attention so you really couldn't hear the music. The cast member checking people in really did not know what she was doing. The podium was to the left side of the terrace entrance - so people started lining up before the entrance to get their wrist bands. She kept making people move to the other side of entrance to line up - up the hill. She then had to pick up her list, wrist bands and table numbers. What was the point of the podium?

The cast member showing us to our table couldn't find our name. She ended up leaving us and going back to the front so we had to find it on our own.

At about 9:30 they started cutting back on the number of desserts being brought out and even took one of the tables away.

I don't think I would do it again although I did like not having to push and shove to get a spot. The quote of the night was the man who told his child that "Cinderella was going to fly right over his head".

WDW1st-timers
07-30-2009, 11:53 AM
We just did this on Saturday. Here are my thoughts. I loved not having to fight for a spot for the parade. However, I think there were way too many people there (lot of overtired screaming children). You can see spectro but everyone was talking and not paying attention so you really couldn't hear the music. The cast member checking people in really did not know what she was doing. The podium was to the left side of the terrace entrance - so people started lining up before the entrance to get their wrist bands. She kept making people move to the other side of entrance to line up - up the hill. She then had to pick up her list, wrist bands and table numbers. What was the point of the podium?

The cast member showing us to our table couldn't find our name. She ended up leaving us and going back to the front so we had to find it on our own.

At about 9:30 they started cutting back on the number of desserts being brought out and even took one of the tables away.

I don't think I would do it again although I did like not having to push and shove to get a spot. The quote of the night was the man who told his child that "Cinderella was going to fly right over his head".

OMGosh that is too funny. :cutie: I wonder if the child corrected him and said "Daddy...that's not Cinderella...it's Tinkerbell, silly."

Overall thank you for your report. I'm still on the fence about this one. I can't make up my mind if I want to go or not. I guess I could make up my mind easier if they didn't have the party in Nov into December. Gosh do I want to spend that money to watch the fireworks and eat or do I want to take the money and buy a GIANT Mickey rice krispie and eat it while watching the fireworks? Now I think that sounds better!!!!:dance3:

WeLuvDCL
08-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I just found out about this and would do it in a heartbeat BUT, they are all booked for our stay 8/20-8/23 :-( I hope they extend it or decide to make it a regular. It's very hard to stand in the crowds for hours with an 18 month old that just wants to get down and walk/run around so this would have been great. I guess we will just watch the fireworks from BLT this trip.

littlbugmom
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
My family would LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!

If Disney decides to make it a regular thing, we are THERE!

Longsx3
08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
You Know I must be the lone person who disagrees with all of the positive reviews...we did the Dessert Party for my daughters 13th Bday on August 5th. Yes the location is nice and the fact that you don't have to fight for a place is also good but as for the Desserts themselves we were very disappointed. They looked wonderful but the quality just was not there, for us it was worse than a cruise line buffett dessert. The gorgeous Chocolate Strawberries they were all mushy inside. We unfortunately won't be doing this again.

pixietwin
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
We will be there the week before Thanksgiving and it would be cool if they were still doing this but looks like it's only for the summer.

Yarna
08-13-2009, 03:49 PM
We would be all over this. Too bad it's over well before our trip in November. :sad2:

TheRatPack
08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
You Know I must be the lone person who disagrees with all of the positive reviews...we did the Dessert Party for my daughters 13th Bday on August 5th. Yes the location is nice and the fact that you don't have to fight for a place is also good but as for the Desserts themselves we were very disappointed. They looked wonderful but the quality just was not there, for us it was worse than a cruise line buffett dessert. The gorgeous Chocolate Strawberries they were all mushy inside. We unfortunately won't be doing this again.

I wondered about this. We LOVE dessert and so we hit all the main places like Main Street Bakery and the France area of Epcot....but everytime we've tried something that just looks sooooooo good, we're disappointed. It all taste so mass produced and just average. Sadly over the years we've learned to stick to icecream treats, chocolate dipped stuff and cheese cake LOL

Since we're going in December this won't be around, but I figured we could use some of our snack credits to go and get some yummy items and sit and watch the parade.

pixietwin
08-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, we went on a cruise 6 months ago and they had very pretty desserts of every type you could imagine - but most of them were almost tasteless and dry. I've found that fancy desserts usually are like this. Buffet desserts in restaurants are often like this and never have that homemade taste - never fresh either. I bet that as time progresses this will become the norm.

shamrock30
08-14-2009, 05:55 PM
I wondered about this. We LOVE dessert and so we hit all the main places like Main Street Bakery and the France area of Epcot....but everytime we've tried something that just looks sooooooo good, we're disappointed. It all taste so mass produced and just average. Sadly over the years we've learned to stick to icecream treats, chocolate dipped stuff and cheese cake LOL.

Couldn't agree more. I'm glad DH and I aren't the only ones who feel this way.

MickeyEars
08-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know if Disney plans to extend this? I would love to try it during our next trip which is June 2-10. I bet they will if it was profitable and I sure it is!!! :thumbsup2

Carla

twinmomplus2new
08-14-2009, 10:33 PM
We went 8/10. the girl at the front said its a maximum of 70 people. it was a very comfortable spot to sit and watch the fireworks! I really looked at it as not fighting the crowds to watch the fireworks for a third the cost of a fireworks cruise.

The food was very secondary to me. we had 9 people with us. we checked in at 5 to 9. were given a bracelet. then led group by group to preassigned tables. the tables had a little placard with your party name on it. while we were up getting out goodies a teen tried to switch our card with his.

Let me just say ahhh brain surgeon we had already sat there, didn't think we would notice you moved our seats??? luckily the cards are scotch taped to the table. so while he was trying to pull it off we came back.
Pretty funny. my brother simply said dude, put it back, thats right back away sit back at the table they gave you. and he walked off.

I did think some of the goodies were way out there and not geared to a typical family. Mango shooters? so Disney if your listening. a box of itzcadoodles,(SP) a few gallons of vanilla ice cream and some jimmies maybe? would have gone a long way for the kids in the group!
as a prior poster said. yes that has fesh fruit and thats what I enjoyed as my treat!

Deb & Bill
08-15-2009, 10:23 AM
...I did think some of the goodies were way out there and not geared to a typical family. Mango shooters? so Disney if your listening. a box of itzcadoodles,(SP) a few gallons of vanilla ice cream and some jimmies maybe? would have gone a long way for the kids in the group!
as a prior poster said. yes that has fesh fruit and thats what I enjoyed as my treat!

I look at this as more of an opportunity for Disney to showcase some more adventurous desserts rather than give out standard fare at a cheaper price (could see some people taking multiple Itzakadoozies rather than just one?). Kind of like the Food and Wine Festival, only for desserts. We did the one in DL for something like $50 a person and the desserts were all rather elegant and not just plain old sweets. And that one only sat about 12-15 people, so there weren't a lot of smaller children wanting plain old ice cream.

gregokdisney
08-16-2009, 09:57 PM
The preferred seating wasn't all that great, everyone stood up anyway, you had to stand in a huge line to get in, the desserts were only so-so and you had to fight masses of people piling their plates six inches high to get to them.

I wished I had saved the $100 and stood somewhere to see Wishes for free.