PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish you knew, or paid more attention to (Help for 1st time cruisers)

jeanigor
06-25-2009, 02:55 PM
As was suggested in another thread by Tracey and Mary...so I thought I would go ahead and start a seperate thread.

If you sailed on DCL before, what is something you wish you knew prior to your first sailing?

~and~

What is the piece of advice/knowledge that you would pass on to a newbie cruiser?

georgemoe
06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
On the pirate themed night, Deb and I decided we would relax and passed on the dinner. I wish we didn't. The menu was right up my alley.

The pirate buffet after the fireworks was pretty disappointing (lousy) if you ask me. If you like nothing but desserts and didn't skip the dinner, you'll be fine.

OKW Lover
06-25-2009, 05:19 PM
On the pirate themed night, Deb and I decided we would relax and passed on the dinner. I wish we didn't. The menu was right up my alley.

The pirate buffet after the fireworks was pretty disappointing (lousy) if you ask me. If you like nothing but desserts and didn't skip the dinner, you'll be fine.

Pirate night was fun in the dining room - lots of folks in some pretty impressive costumes. Todd's being especially good.

Launchpad11B
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Pirate night was fun in the dining room - lots of folks in some pretty impressive costumes. Todd's being especially good.

Bill's (billwald) was awesome as well! pirate:

ADP
06-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Castaway Cay is probably better than you think. Plan to make the most of your day on the island. Get off the ship early and enjoy everything it has to offer.

cocowum
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Castaway Cay is probably better than you think. Plan to make the most of your day on the island. Get off the ship early and enjoy everything it has to offer.

Ditto!

Also, don't worry if you over pack. You can fit quite a few bags under the bed. There is lots of storage space. :thumbsup2 :rolleyes1

OKW Lover
06-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Also, don't worry if you over pack. You can fit quite a few bags under the bed. There is lots of storage space. :thumbsup2 :rolleyes1

Gee - I've never heard of people overpacking for a cruise. :rolleyes1

I agree about CC. Great place to do stuff or just lay on the beach and do nothing. The water is wonderful.

Launchpad11B
06-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Ditto!

ETA: Bring someone with you that can lift the bed!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

maroo
06-26-2009, 08:50 AM
awesome thread! I won't take up much space here...but I can't wait to read all of these hints... popcorn::

tlcoke
06-26-2009, 11:09 AM
ETA: Bring someone with you that can lift the bed!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Paul, Can't we just call you?

jeanigor
06-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Paul, Can't we just call you?

Trust me the beds are easily liftable. I could even do it.

dpuck1998
06-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Bring an extension cord and/or power strip. I need a fan and there are no outlets near the bed.

winotracy
06-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Bring an extension cord and/or power strip. I need a fan and there are no outlets near the bed.

Someone didn't read my packing list last time :lmao::lmao:

sshaw10060
06-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Be sure to bring a change of clothes and/or bathing suit in your carry-on. If you get on the boat early enough you may just want a dip in the pool.

L.E. Ott
06-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Stay out of Nassau!! To enjoy the most scenic view of the city, just go up on deck of the ship, that's the best it gets. In town....well if you've ever seen the bathroom from the original Saw movie, you get the idea.

winotracy
06-27-2009, 07:47 AM
If you love snorkeling but don't want to do the snorkel trail at Castaway Cay, take your snorkel gear over to the adult beach. There's lots of stuff to see there. First place I ever saw purple coral!!

DVCsince02
06-27-2009, 07:52 AM
But the fish at the adult beach freak me out. They stare at you!

winotracy
06-27-2009, 07:54 AM

And the fish at the family beach don't?

I've seen a lot of different things at the adult beach. On 1.0 we saw a little octopus!! Never saw one of those before.

georgemoe
06-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Stay out of Nassau!! To enjoy the most scenic view of the city, just go up on deck of the ship, that's the best it gets. In town....well if you've ever seen the bathroom from the original Saw movie, you get the idea.

Funny and gross at the same time. Nice Stephan! :)

Too funny! Deb had a whole school of fish fly by her shins. Then one much bigger fish chasing them. The fish were sucking on my toes. :eek:

corky441
06-27-2009, 08:23 AM

I've seen a lot of different things at the adult beach. On 1.0 we saw a little octopus!! Never saw one of those before.

Too funny! Deb had a whole school of fish fly by her shins. Then one much bigger fish chasing them. The fish were sucking on my toes. :eek:

OKAY - add to trip tip list - "Stay out of water on Castaway Cay" :eek:

Launchpad11B
06-27-2009, 08:31 AM

They were staring because you're pretty!! :hug:

Launchpad11B
06-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Trust me the beds are easily liftable. I could even do it.

Very true Todd. I was surprised at how much fit under the bed!

Nassau is pretty bad, but people should see it once and decide for themselves.

Don't pretend you didn't like it George! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

winotracy
06-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Funny and gross at the same time. Nice Stephan! :)

I have been known to talk to the fish through my snorkel. They usually swarm around my toes when I have Mickey heads painted on them :goodvibes

Madi100
06-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Take a change of clothes to Castaway Cay. Or at least everything you think you'll need for the day.

While the ship is RIGHT THERE, it was inconvenient to have to get back on the ship and then go back to the beach. It is a bit of a walk/tram ride to get back on. It's not horrible, just inconvenient.

Plan early for getting to Castaway Cay. We got off nice and early and not ten feet off the ship Em had to use the potty. It was a I've got to go NOW kind of thing, so back on the ship. There was a line to get back off.

dpuck1998
06-27-2009, 11:03 AM

I read it, but since I don't pack it can't be my fault ;)

Sorry, that was me ;)

Butt Kisser! http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/images/smilies/butt%20kiss.gif

DVCsince02
06-27-2009, 07:20 PM

I never left the shore line with the kids at the family beach so, no.

:lovestruc

Sorry, that was me ;)

Butt Kisser! http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/images/smilies/butt%20kiss.gif

You're just jealous he beat you to it.

dpuck1998
06-27-2009, 07:40 PM
You're just jealous he beat you to it.

:rolleyes1

L.E. Ott
06-27-2009, 07:49 PM
OK, this is speaking as the husband of a fanatical DISer. I personally, did not post, and hardly ever read anything on the boards prior to right before PCC 1. I had listened to the podcasts up to when Bob passed away, but then lost alot of the interest I had in it, except for the occasional highlight that my wife would point out. Anyway, when I agreed to this cruise I knew noone that would be there. I can tell you that everyone, from the Podcast Crew to all of the fans and cruisers that I met were great, fun people. I know a first timers might be a little intimidated or hesitant, I was. I'm telling you here and now, don't be. These are a great bunch of people to go on a vacation with. I am looking forward to going cruising with all my friends again, and I know all of us are looking forward to meeting all you newbies, and making you a part of our big fam!!!

tlcoke
06-28-2009, 06:31 PM
These are a great bunch of people to go on a vacation with. I am looking forward to going cruising with all my friends again, and I know all of us are looking forward to meeting all you newbies, and making you a part of our big fam!!!

I am looking forward to meeting everyone of my DIS Friends on the Cruise, and at any opportunity the presents itself before then, too.

mla973
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Any advice for choosing a stateroom? There are so many categories... I've never cruised before so I don't know what I would be interested in. Do those that get a verandah really use it?

jeanigor
06-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Any advice for choosing a stateroom? There are so many categories... I've never cruised before so I don't know what I would be interested in. Do those that get a verandah really use it?

PCC 1.0 was my first cruise. I opted to get a veranda. When my mother heard I was going on a cruise, she suggested it. She had wished she did for her cruise. It was nice. I did go out and get some fresh air and feel the wind on my face in the mornings, before dinner, and before bed. The price point meant me having a roommate, instead of solo in an inside room. I would probably choose to do it again, the same way.

On PCC 2.0, I am getting a Category 11, inside stateroom. I don't feel like I would use the veranda much. If I were cruising with only my travel party (and not a gi-normous group) it would depend upon the price.

On PCC 1.5...:confused3:confused3...it will depend upon the pricing. And my roommate's input.

winotracy
06-29-2009, 12:38 PM

The best thing to ask yourself is what do you want:

1. Cheapest available
2. Inside room
3. window
4. verandah
5. space, concierge service

Something that's very important for everyone considering this cruise is that if you want a certain category, a certain room, etc. (if you are picky in any way), booking as early as possible is very important. I'll be posting more on this in a separate thread, but for example, if you want to save money and get a lowest level verandah you gotta book now. If not, you may have to pay more to get a verandah. Not just with prices going up but because there won't be rooms available.

DVCsince02
06-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I totally agree with Tracy. We booked 2 rooms because we will be bringing the 3 monsters, I mean children. So getting connecting rooms was priority to us.

We have been mid and aft and aft is great for getting to the sodas and food easy, mid is a bit quieter with less movement (not that there was much to begin with).

Also, one tip. ALWAYS close your closet doors. It scares the begeezes out of you in the middle of the night when they slide closed themselves.

dpuck1998
06-29-2009, 01:17 PM
I totally agree with Tracy. We booked 2 rooms because we will be bringing the 3 monsters, I mean children. So getting connecting rooms was priority to us.

We have been mid and aft and aft is great for getting to the sodas and food easy, mid is a bit quieter with less movement (not that there was much to begin with).

Also, one tip. ALWAYS close your closet doors. It scares the begeezes out of you in the middle of the night when they slide closed themselves.

Also the lower you go the less movement, if that is a concern.

DUHgreg
06-29-2009, 07:02 PM

We were on our verandah every day. Either for a little quiet time (when we left port, sitting out there, looking at the water made me stop and think about really being on vacation), or to show other guests how cool it was.

sshaw10060
06-30-2009, 06:00 AM
We have been on six cruises and only had a verandah on one of them. Many of them we even had an inside room. we have decided we would rather spend the money elsewhere since we just don't spend that much time in the room.

Disneybridein2k3
06-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Wear sunscreen.

dpuck1998
06-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Sunscreen. Sunscreen. Sunscreen. Sunscreeen. Sunscreen. Oh, and I don't want to forget to mention to reapply sunscreen. Have I mentioned sunscreen?

This was not an issue for me because I learned this valuable lesson on my first Disney cruise 6 years ago on Castaway Cay when I thought (silly me!) that only one application of sunscreen was needed and failed to reapply after spending hours in the beautiful, clear ocean waters. I couldn't wear **cough cough** undergarments for nearly a week after that burn. On Podcast cruise 1.0, DD15 failed to take her mother's advice to reapply and ended up with blisters which causing her to have to go to the doctor's when we got home. Save yourself the time, trouble, pain, and expense -- use lots of sunscreen and don't forget to reapply. :cool2:

DITTO! We even applied and reapplied 15 SPF and got burned! Next time I'll be bringing the Animal Kingdom sunscreen.

jeanigor
06-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Sunscreen. Sunscreen. Sunscreen. Sunscreeen. Sunscreen. Oh, and I don't want to forget to mention to reapply sunscreen. Have I mentioned sunscreen?

This was not an issue for me because I learned this valuable lesson on my first Disney cruise 6 years ago on Castaway Cay when I thought (silly me!) that only one application of sunscreen was needed and failed to reapply after spending hours in the beautiful, clear ocean waters. I couldn't wear **cough cough** undergarments for nearly a week after that burn. On Podcast cruise 1.0, DD15 failed to take her mother's advice to reapply and ended up with blisters which causing her to have to go to the doctor's when we got home. Save yourself the time, trouble, pain, and expense -- use lots of sunscreen and don't forget to reapply. :cool2:

Let's do some math.....6 years ago...minus 9 months...how old is your youngest?:3dglasses <--safety goggles :goodvibes

katscradle
06-30-2009, 07:42 AM

We were first time cruisers!
We got a room mid ship with a verandah and yes we used it.
We loved having the verandah! :thumbsup2

klam_chowder
06-30-2009, 09:25 AM

We :love: our verandah and used it every day: DH hung out there while I unpacked; always checked out the surroundings when we came back to our cabin to change for dinner; I had to have an early breakie one morning so went up to Goofy's Galley and picked up light continental items for us. I enjoyed it on the deck while DH snoozed a bit more, then he joined me. It was wonderful quiet time together; one morning he saw a giant turtle paddling beside the ship! Even tho we didn't spend a lot of time in our room, we got a lot of enjoyment from it. :goodvibes

Having said all that, I'd be happy to cruise with an Inside room for cruises like this. However DH will only cruise with a verandah so the decision is easy for me! :lmao: :lmao: It really depends on your family's preferences/needs/wants. Regardless of what you choose, you'll have a fab time on the podcast cruise! :upsidedow

cheers,
:flower3:

Madi100
06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
DITTO! We even applied and reapplied 15 SPF and got burned! Next time I'll be bringing the Animal Kingdom sunscreen.

That's not the part of her story I thought you'd comment on. We had very good luck with sunburns. Em had just a tad bit of red, but otherwise, the rest of us were great.

jeanigor
06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
That's not the part of her story I thought you'd comment on. We had very good luck with sunburns. Em had just a tad bit of red, but otherwise, the rest of us were great.

I didn't get any sun at all. Didn't even open the bottle of sunscreen. Go figure.

L.E. Ott
06-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I didn't get any sun at all. Didn't even open the bottle of sunscreen. Go figure.

The tiara reflected it all.

OKW Lover
06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
We loved our veranda. Great place for an afternoon glass of wine and a nap.

Disneybridein2k3
06-30-2009, 12:19 PM

MomlvsGoofy
07-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Oh good! Will you put it up again for this cruise plz....I have been trying to make a list from what everyone says but it would be so much easier if there is already a list. :banana:

DaParkers
07-02-2009, 06:50 PM
DO arrive early! We were told that a 12:00 arrival would be perfect. "You'll just walk onto the ship" :rotfl: That didn't happen. Even though our situation was a rare one, I will arrive early from now on. Just as we arrived on the 5/21 sailing at around 12 pm, the parking lot was shut down due to a suspicious package. We got on the boat at 4:30pm. We had to rush and go to the drill. We were so mad, sitting near the Carnival boat watching everyone on the Wonder enjoying themselves while we waited. Then when it was finally time to board, the line was ridiculous. The line had 4 hours to grow, so you can imagine. Oh and bring a fan, because it was too warm for my blood in the stateroom.

winotracy
07-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Oh good! Will you put it up again for this cruise plz....I have been trying to make a list from what everyone says but it would be so much easier if there is already a list. :banana:

When we get closer. I don't think anyone is ready to start packing yet.

DO arrive early! We were told that a 12:00 arrival would be perfect. "You'll just walk onto the ship" :rotfl: That didn't happen. Even though our situation was a rare one, I will arrive early from now on. Just as we arrived on the 5/21 sailing at around 12 pm, the parking lot was shut down due to a suspicious package. We got on the boat at 4:30pm. We had to rush and go to the drill. We were so mad, sitting near the Carnival boat watching everyone on the Wonder enjoying themselves while we waited. Then when it was finally time to board, the line was ridiculous. The line had 4 hours to grow, so you can imagine. Oh and bring a fan, because it was too warm for my blood in the stateroom.

You do realize that they don't regularly find suspicious packages at the port, don't you? Typically arriving at noon is a fine and you would walk right onboard. Because you were evacuated likely had more to do with you rushing to everything.

Just don't want to see everyone panicking over something that rarely happens.

Also if you find your stateroom to be too hot or too cold, just tell your stateroom host or call for maintenance. This can be adjusted. It was too cold on our last sailing and they came twice but finally got it adjusted.

DaParkers
07-02-2009, 08:23 PM

You do realize that they don't regularly find suspicious packages at the port, don't you? Typically arriving at noon is a fine and you would walk right onboard. Because you were evacuated likely had more to do with you rushing to everything.

Just don't want to see everyone panicking over something that rarely happens.

Also if you find your stateroom to be too hot or too cold, just tell your stateroom host or call for maintenance. This can be adjusted. It was too cold on our last sailing and they came twice but finally got it adjusted.
DO arrive early! We were told that a 12:00 arrival would be perfect. "You'll just walk onto the ship" :rotfl: That didn't happen. Even though our situation was a rare one, I will arrive early from now on.

We weren't evacuated. I was never in the parking lot. We were diverted to another lot. I didn't rush to anything. Rushing would've been me getting there at 10am like some suggested. I drove away from my home in Ga. that morning, because I was in no hurry. I could've easily left the night before. And lastly, please give Disers a little more credit than to "panic" because of a rare situation. I won't panic. I'll just arrive earlier.

P.S. Thank you for the tip about stateroom climate. Now I know. The solution is so simple, it's frustrating that I didn't think of doing that. O well:confused3

MomlvsGoofy
07-02-2009, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=winotracy;32538154]When we get closer. I don't think anyone is ready to start packing yet.

Oh yeah thats what I meant...Later not now...Its nice to know that there will be a list I can work from when the time comes from experienced people. :thumbsup2

jeanigor
07-03-2009, 06:32 AM

What do you mean? I have my suitcase laid out for DAP. Already formulating a packing plan to increase volume of stuff, yet maintain the current count of pieces of luggage.:goodvibes

mainegal
07-04-2009, 09:04 PM
We were on our verandah every day. Either for a little quiet time (when we left port, sitting out there, looking at the water made me stop and think about really being on vacation), or to show other guests how cool it was.

I'll be happy to have you show me your "cool verandah"!

Madi100
07-23-2009, 02:42 PM
We weren't evacuated. I was never in the parking lot. We were diverted to another lot. I didn't rush to anything. Rushing would've been me getting there at 10am like some suggested. I drove away from my home in Ga. that morning, because I was in no hurry. I could've easily left the night before. And lastly, please give Disers a little more credit than to "panic" because of a rare situation. I won't panic. I'll just arrive earlier.

P.S. Thank you for the tip about stateroom climate. Now I know. The solution is so simple, it's frustrating that I didn't think of doing that. O well:confused3

Wow, what an ordeal you had. I'm glad that you were finally able to get on and relax. I would be stressed if that happened. And, as a first time cruiser reading about your story, I'd be tempted to arrive early. Thanks for clearing that up, Tracy. Now that I have cruised, I understand how the system works, but wouldn't as a firsttimer. It sounds like your situation was one that it wouldn't have mattered what time you got there. It was just unlucky that it was right before you arrived. Did they ever find anything with the package?