PDA

View Full Version : First Timer - Need Help!

emma9630
06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I'm visiting Disney the first week of December with my DH and 2 1/2yr old son. We are staying at Pop and have the Deluxe Dining Plan.

But, I need help with reservations, can you guys advise what you recommend the most for a 2 1/2yr old boy? We want to do as much character dining as possible, we are not bothered about deluxe restaurants for ourselves, mainly want him to have the best time ever.

Also, our first time :yay:

Thanks !!!!!

MickeyNicki
06-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi and Welcome to the Dis!

We have gone to WDW with our nieces and found the best thing for them is a character breakfast and CS lunch/dinner

Crystal Palace with Pooh and the Gang is awesome, if you can get an 8:05 am ressie go for it so you can take pictures in front of the castle without a lot of people in the background

Ohana with Lilo & Stitch at the Poly is a blast!

Chef Mickeys is great and has alot of characters

H&V has a bunch of characters and I hear the breakfast is pretty good.

Cape May is one of our favorites, the food is excellent and Donald, Goofy and Minnie are in their bathing suits!

ROEDISNEY
06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
We felt the same way with our 5 boys. We hit every character breakfast that they have. And they loved it ! Remember it's not always about the food.
The food is good. It's the fun time you have and they look on your childs face. For us it was priceless.
Plus we also did
WCC
HDDR
Luau
MBYBBQ

Pooh&OurHunny
06-25-2009, 10:45 AM
My son just turned 2 when we took him to his first Disney trip. It's a good idea to go to Character buffet b/c my son loved those meals the most b/c of the characaters and at buffet your son is free since he is under 3.
We took him to the following:
Crystal Palace - lunch (food was great and the characters with Pooh,Piglet, Eeyore and Tigger)
Liberty Tree Tavern -dinner (when we went they did have character Minnie,Goofy, Chip and Dale)
Cape May - breakfast (great breakfast and characters were Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale)
Hollywood and Vine - lunch and another time breakfast (characters are from Little Einstien and JoJo) Character interaction is one of the best and have a dance party for the little ones and have a parade. My sons favorite character meal.
Tursker House AK - Breakfast...family favorite (best breakfast food and great character interaction...characters dressed in safari outfits. Daisy, Mickey, Goofy and Donald). My sons other favorite character meal.
Chef Mickey - Dinner (dinner was so so but my son had fun so we will try to do breakfast next time). Characters were Minnie, Mickey, Goofy, Pluto and Donald
1900 Park Fare -breakfast (breakfast is good we went for dinner another trip and it was BAD)

I hope my list helps you. Have a Magical vacation:):banana:. Cheeries the first trip with your son...that was our best Disney trip ever when we brought my son to his first Disney trip.

JoePa4Ever
06-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace & Ohana are all favorites of ours. Liberty Tree Tavern used to be a favorite of ours also, but they took the characters away. Cape May is nice, but I don't think it's worth it since there's only 3 characters there now (Minnie, Goofy & Donald).

emma9630
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks to everyone, this is so helpful!!!

disneygirlinnj
06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Everyone has given great info about the actual meals but just a word of advice... do you know if your son will like the characters? My first trip was when I was 3 and apparently I was PETRIFED of all the characters. Like hiding between my mom and dads legs and wouldn't go anywhere near them. Towards the end of the trip they said I warmed up to them a bit but not completely. The same also happened with my cousin when she was that age.

I just wouldn't want you to make all these ADRs for character meals and then your son ends up upset each time. Not really sure how you can test it out though? Did you ever take pictures with the Easter Bunny or Santa at the mall? That might be a good sign as to how he would do?

emma9630
06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
LOL Funny you should ask this question because just an hour ago I told DH how stuck we are going to be if DS is terrified of the characters!!!

The only thing we've really done with characters was around last July, so he was 1, we went to Sesame place and he was intrigued getting his pics taken with Elmo etc, not scared. I'm hoping he hasn't developed the fear in the last year! Can't think of much we can do though because if we don't book the characters places and he loves them we won't have any good places for him to go.

I guess I'll have to book them and keep everything crossed!!!

msmary
06-25-2009, 04:11 PM
You might want to slit it up and do some character dinners and not all breakfast. you will find that most of the character buffets have the same food for breakfast and you might grow tired of it after a couple days.. Crystal palace @ MK has a good lunch and dinner and Garden Grill's dinner is good, Chef Mickey also has dinner (but we like the breakfast better)...

As far as your little one being afraid I have found if you get them use to seeing the character prior to going it helps. Watch Movies or shows with Mickey in them when you go to the store show him things with Mickey if he feels like he knows them maybe he wont be afraid...

disneygirlinnj
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking you'll be ok! :) I love seeing young children see the characters for the first time. They're trying to figure out how the character they know and love got out of the TV and is there in real life!