PDA

View Full Version : has anyone started Christmas shopping?

Grumpy's Gal
06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I have about 30 people to shop for -- I have started collecting stocking stuffers.

My first great finds were in the dollar spot at Michael's.

It seems so early.........but..........I'll be glad I started early later on this fall.

rebeccatp
06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
:laughing:Actually, I usually start my Christmas shopping at the After-Christmas and Year-End clearance sales. So I don't think it's too early at all! I usually shop all year long, picking up things when I find a bargain on items that I know someone on my list would enjoy.

mrsbornkuntry
06-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I bought some gifts for my nieces and I bought DD her first gift yesterday (a Vera Bradley purse). Oh and I got a few stocking stuffers for my boys at WDW last week. But now my kids are getting older and using their own money for some things they want so I have to wait until closer to Christmas to see what they want.

omghidanielle
06-24-2009, 05:23 PM
I usually start Christmas shopping in August.
I hope to get most of this done during our next WDW trip in September.

I like to get Christmas shopping done before the Christmas 'rush'.
I haaaaaaaaate crowds!

Grumpy's Gal
06-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I just saw someone mention on the target thread that there is a $5 coupon for a game PICTUREKA at www.coupons.com.

They said the game is less than $7 so I am definitely going to check that out. Our schools and my husbands work usualyy has a toys for tots drive around the holidays and I can always add these games to that drive.

This game is for 6 and up so if you have small kids......check it out. I don't know anything about the game or how its played.

Lisa_M
06-24-2009, 05:41 PM
I started christmas knitting, not shopping yet. Working on socks for my mom.

bratmomma
06-24-2009, 05:46 PM
For this past Christmas I paid nearly $20 for Pictureka for my son! YIKES!

I just bought a cookbook for a gift swap we do in my family. There is a $5. I found some really good cookbooks and recipe cards for $5 at ACMoore.

minnie mouse
06-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I use to start shopping early to "save money" but I always over bought and spent way more than I should. I would buy for everyone and then someone would really want some new gismo on the market and the good aunt that I am would buy it. But then I would have to buy something else for everyone, and so on and so on. And now all the kids are getting older so all they want to cash which works for me.

DebMcDonald
06-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I've started shopping, I've picked up six items, not a ton, but it's definitely a start. I figure if I do a little at a time it hurts less on the pocketbook.

Piecey
06-24-2009, 06:10 PM
I have an 18gallon Rubbermaid Tote that I buy stuff all year long and toss it in... I use it for baby gifts (have 3 pregnant friends and one TTC right now) and birthday gifts, too.

It's mostly all small stuff ( I try to buy for everyone that shows up at the family christmas dinner) and then a few months before Christmas I make a list of who I want to give a gift too, dig through the tote to see if anything will match up and then I've got a list of who I still need to buy for.

Works out quite well... a lot of that stuff I get for cheap, cheap, cheap and it's always nicer that its spread out throughout the year.

hockey mom
06-24-2009, 07:00 PM
I have to start now. I made the mistake of buying huge stockings for my kids when they were young and they were easy to fill but now that they are older it costs a fortune.

Going to get my older DD's some Disney dollars so that they can buy their own stuff on our next May trip.

etoiles
06-24-2009, 07:06 PM
I start Christmas shopping the minute I see something for someone. I found some nice sparkly bath stuff for my cousin that was 75% off after Christmas so I got that right away. I am also collecting stuff I get for cheap or free using coupons such as Dove facial products and nice smelling candles that could be for different people as well.

Or if I see something unusual that I won't find anywhere else I get it. I got 'I love meat' stickers and bacon flavored mints for my brother since I didn't know where else I would ever see them.

Does help spread out the cost buying throughout the year.

gracie1
06-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I am such a christmas fanatic :lmao: people thought I was crazy when I said about starting christmas shopping. I have already started making the christmas list! I haven't bought anything yet because some of it is cologne and perfume and I like to wait till black friday to shop! But I have my list and am going to put money aside for each item....will just have to go out and buy it!

poegirl30
06-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Since my sons' birthdays are in late Oct/early Nov., I've just finished birthday shopping for my youngest and working on my older son's list now. I have picked up a few things for my youngest, but my older kids tend to change their Christmas wish lists, so I'm waiting a little bit longer before I start shopping for them.

wall*e2008
06-24-2009, 08:29 PM
I have started. If I see a "perfect" gift for somebody then I buy it. I think when you wait to the last minute you start to just "buy things" to have a gift to give.

QVCshopper
06-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I have started planning. For my kids, I'm getting 1 big toy each and then little stocking stuffers. My DD4 is getting the Chrissa doll once QVC sells her in July, along with some clothes. Not sure about DS3, maybe a really nice animal / farm set. My DD4's b-day is in Nov., so I am mostly done with shopping for her. I'm also probably going to get them 1 set of PJs each.

Last year, I ended up getting lots of presents on QVC, as I work there as well as shop there, and my discount makes things a great deal sometimes. Not sure about DH yet, or anyone else for that matter.

PrincessMama605
06-24-2009, 08:53 PM
I am the same way, if I see something that would make a good Xmas or b-day gift and it's on sale, I buy it and put it away.

tweedlemom
06-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Yes, my closet is full and I'm probably 80% done shopping for my kids.

SuperRhino
06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I've started Christmas sewing not shopping yet. I'm making each of my inlaws a quilt. They're divorced so FIL is getting one for his livingroom couch and MIL is getting one for her bed. I'm planning on making my daughter one for her bed to better match the horse theme of her room hard to do when it's all pink with horses everywhere.

But like everybody else this is usually the time when I start watching for the perfect gift at great prices for the people I buy for!

Happy Christmas hunting eveybody!

Dancemom03
06-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I've got to wait until I come back from wdw next month but I sure have been tempted. There are some awesome buys on American Girl clothes & accessories on ebay right now.

I guess a lot of people must be on vacation this month b/c there's very little bidding. Every time I see something cute that I know DD8 would love going way too cheap or without bids, I have to remind myself that Christmas is still six months away. If only I had more internal discipline - or lots more money...:lmao:

jacksmom
06-24-2009, 10:18 PM
I bought a ton 25+ toys for dd after Christmas at Target at 75% off! She just had a Birthday and I used some for that, but I STILL HAVE 75-90% of her Christmas done! (Thanks Target!):rotfl: Ds is at an age that I can't buy a lot early, but I always shop the Toys R Us video game sale during the summer! :rotfl: I also bought a bunch of gifts from Yankee Candle last year after christmas at 75% off for baskets, etc.! I also had a coupon and bought a lot of stuff at Bath & Body Works last week mostly for Christmas! I am now officially on the hunt for some great sales to put back for Christmas! :rotfl: I am also thinking of forgoing traditional stockings this year and doing a candy buffet and letting everyone fill their own stocking with their own favorites!

leagirl12
06-24-2009, 10:36 PM
I have an 18gallon Rubbermaid Tote that I buy stuff all year long and toss it in... I use it for baby gifts (have 3 pregnant friends and one TTC right now) and birthday gifts, too.

It's mostly all small stuff ( I try to buy for everyone that shows up at the family christmas dinner) and then a few months before Christmas I make a list of who I want to give a gift too, dig through the tote to see if anything will match up and then I've got a list of who I still need to buy for.

Works out quite well... a lot of that stuff I get for cheap, cheap, cheap and it's always nicer that its spread out throughout the year.

I do the exact same thing. I started it this past January when Target had 75% off sales and have been filling it up all year. It comes in handy when the kids have a bday party to go to or something like that. DD's teacher was pregant at the end of the year and dd wanted to get her something...we didn't really have the funds at the time but I didn't have to worry because I had things in the tote. :cool1:

itutorfortravel
06-24-2009, 10:42 PM
I just saw someone mention on the target thread that there is a $5 coupon for a game PICTUREKA at www.coupons.com.

They said the game is less than $7 so I am definitely going to check that out. Our schools and my husbands work usualyy has a toys for tots drive around the holidays and I can always add these games to that drive.

This game is for 6 and up so if you have small kids......check it out. I don't know anything about the game or how its played.

Pictureka is a great game! We have it and we love it!!!

annsteere
06-25-2009, 06:47 AM
No.

A few "perfect" or "too cheap to pass up" things have jumped into my cart and are waiting in the gift basket.

But, the family doesn't make a decision on who is buying for who until at least Aug. One year I'd bought for my neices and nephews and SIL says after Thanksgiving "this year we want to draw one name per person."

So, it's too early for actively shopping yet.

dawnbu40
06-25-2009, 06:53 AM
I've found so many great deals at all the stores that I already have all the stockings filled for Christmas (DD's,Dh's and DM's)! :rotfl: My DD is 18 so it's harder to shop ahead then when she was little but I've found a few things at great prices that I've picked up. I use "My Points" and I am putting away all the gift cards I get to use for Christmas too!

itutorfortravel
06-25-2009, 06:55 AM
i like to shop the after Christmas sales too. i bought a lot of holiday themed stuff last year for stocking stuffers, small gifts for friends, etc. i have purchased only a couple things for dd. i used to do a lot of shopping ahead of time but what i found is that i still spent a lot close to Christmas so i overspent my budget. our family has cut way back on what we spend on each other, except for the kids. last year there were such good sales closer to Christmas that it worked out to wait until a couple months out. i still do all my shopping before december 1st, though. i hate the mall crowds at the holidays!

MoniqueU
06-25-2009, 06:57 AM
No but I need to, just hoping for some bonus money.I am doing mostly gift cards this year, my kids are older. I think I will do the one with little trees and the cards attached. I do have my christmas cards all designed, I just have to order them. Waiting for a general code for ****terfly.

luvmy3
06-25-2009, 08:40 AM
I never stop Christmas shopping :)

HunnyPots
06-25-2009, 09:43 AM
I have eliminated all buying other than my two kids, my husband, and my mother. I won't even think about shopping before November.

toledo13
06-25-2009, 09:59 AM
I have about 30 people to shop for -- I have started collecting stocking stuffers.

It seems so early.........but..........I'll be glad I started early later on this fall.

Oh yes! I always start early! At the after Christmas sales!!!

delmar411
06-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I've got stuff put back but minimal stuff as I know come closer to Christmas I'll want to get them some stuff and they'll have firmer wish lists. Things like pet shops and star wars figures I can get now when I see them on a good sale and they will still be wanted by Christmas. Other things I worry about the kids out growing them before the holiday as it's happened before.

I also ordered some video games for the Wii that I'm putting back for either b-day or Christmas.

I do have some of the craft stuff that the kids will make for Christmas. I try to have the kids make something each year for the g-parents but it's getting harder and harder to come up with creative ideas so I try to grab things when I'm inspired.

My family only does consumable gifts. Doesn't have to be food but it can't be just stuff either. I do GCs or mag subscriptions, things like that so I'll wait on those until I decide what would be good for them.

No matter what it's going to be a light Christmas as we leave for WDW on NYE and I know the kids would prefer to get some stuff there.

kristinw3girls
06-25-2009, 11:25 AM
I sure have. With three kids, I can't afforn not to. My DH made me a Christmas closet under the stairs in our basement. There is a lock and everything. The older girls are harder to shop early for, but there are ways to do it. I don't charge anything, ever, so this is a easy way to do this. I keep a list and price paid in by blackberry so I can also keep track of how much I spend. It is so easy to go overboard when you buy early. You do forget how much you have already spent and just keep buying. I will wrap everything I can in October so I can enjoy more of my Christmas Vacation!

NaplesRI
06-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I have done a few things on artscow.com

Since we went to Disney in March, I have taken some of the best pictures and made ornaments, facecloths and picture books.

They have different specials all the time so I just wait for something that appeals to me ( I will only do the free shipping ones)

I also bought a few things at BBW recent sale that will be put aside for gifts.

I am more open to early shoping than I used to be... I don't know why. As long as I think it's definitely something that will be liked, I am for it!

off2dizney
06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
I wish I could shop early like the rest of y'all. My kids changed their mind it seems every month on what they like! LOL! I think I will definitely use the coupon & get Pictureka!
Thanks so much!:thumbsup2

Handbag Lady
06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
No.

:faint:

But I only have eight people to buy for now so it isn't hard. And three of those eight are usually a family gift.

mjantz
06-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Yes. I bought t-shirts for my nephews for their birthdays & Christmas at Steve & Barrys when they went out of business. I also found some cute reusable bags for my adult nieces at Dillards & lots of stuff for my kids.
I still need stocking stuffers for my FIL but I figure I have time.

mercydisney
06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
I bought some cute little bags at the Coach Outlet and pillows w/ their names on it.
The problem I have w/shoping early is I still have stuff in my closet from last year, because I over did it..

Can anyone tell me where Pictureka is on sale this wk?

Thanks

georgina
06-25-2009, 07:00 PM
No, but I only have 5 people to buy for and my kids are older, so no toys for them.

klineyqueen
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM

I hear ya...I have a lot to buy for too. I didn't start but I will soon!!!!

r4blessings
06-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I have started planning. For my kids, I'm getting 1 big toy each and then little stocking stuffers. My DD4 is getting the Chrissa doll once QVC sells her in July, along with some clothes. Not sure about DS3, maybe a really nice animal / farm set. My DD4's b-day is in Nov., so I am mostly done with shopping for her. I'm also probably going to get them 1 set of PJs each.

Last year, I ended up getting lots of presents on QVC, as I work there as well as shop there, and my discount makes things a great deal sometimes. Not sure about DH yet, or anyone else for that matter.

Wow! Do you know that qvc will be selling AG dolls in July? Last year I got Mia from them and it was an awesome set/value! DD already has Chrissa but I was waiting to see if they were doing more shows this year before buying Kit for Christmas for my dd. I do a LOT of xmas shopping from QVC every year....they have great stuff! Any info would be appreciated!;)

mmouse1239
06-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I am always shopping for Christmas...I have a lot of people to buy for, so I try to start early so I can avoid using charge cards and overstretching my limits. I generally buy generic stuff at The Body Shop when there are big sales. I use that for coworkers and extra stuff for others. I always buy my daughters a Coach purse (there's an outlet nearby, so I can watch for the great deals) and I have one of those already. I have purchased some clothing for my son in law since he's easy to buy for. I try to pick up things when I see good prices on things that I know people will enjoy. My best purchase for Christmas so far was a set of Hannah Montana dolls (about Barbie size) that I saw on the clearance at Target for 8 bucks....originally sold for 36. Will be a great gift for niece. I love to shop, so when I buy Christmas gifts early it satisfies my need to shop, and it keeps me from spending money on myself for things that I don't need.

jlima
06-26-2009, 12:57 AM
We've been here before!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2149043

I'll say it again:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Mom2SamandJames
06-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I shop early for Christmas, because my husband's HUGE family insists on doing gifts for everyone. I have finally announced to everyone in that family that we will only buy for the kids. Target has clearance items here and there, and if something looks interesting, I get it. I hit Bath and Body Works last week and got great gifts for the teen girls. I am hoping to do a little shopping for my two boys while at Disney.

dancin'girl
06-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I just started yesterday because while at the mall I noticed that Bath & Body Works and Yankee Candle are having their semi-annual sales, so I grabbed a bunch of lotions, candles, etc.

kinntj
06-26-2009, 05:45 PM
I bought one thing from an art gallery for our sister and brother in law. I made sure it was unframed and matted, so they could pick what they wanted. We'll include a GC for a framer in their area.

I'm already planning how many gifts people will get and a $ amount. I always shop for the kids in November and December, since their minds change so quickly.

For the adults I tend to shop as I go during the summer and fall.

Grumpy's Gal
06-26-2009, 09:47 PM
I bought one thing from an art gallery for our sister and brother in law. I made sure it was unframed and matted, so they could pick what they wanted. We'll include a GC for a framer in their area.

that is the NICEST gift!!:)

mamalle
06-26-2009, 09:49 PM
I have only bought one thing so far for ds- a lego set. Im not really going overboard this year since I always start early and end up with too much stuff..:rolleyes1 Im really trying to limit my buying to closer to the holidays. There are always sales esp with the economy.

luvmy3
06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
We've been here before!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2149043

I'll say it again:

but now we only have 6 more months until Christmas. We need to be prepared!! :laughing:

TheBigBadWolf
06-28-2009, 12:54 AM
I shop all year long. I buy for about 30 people at Christmas, so I have to start early. I'm over half done Christmas shopping now. I keep a running list of things I've bought on my computer, who it's for, the cost, etc. I keep a stocked gift closet and can pull out a nice gift for almost anyone, whenever I need it. I'm always on the lookout for nice gifts and good sales. :lmao: I don't like the stress of Christmas shopping in December, so I am always finished by Thanksgiving. After that any shopping I do is fun, and I never have to stress over shopping during the holidays.

Disneyaunt4
06-28-2009, 05:56 AM
Yes I usually start right after Christmas :santa:

jennyf2
06-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Usually I start right after Christmas but this year I'm waiting. I bought SO much stuff last year that I forgot about (it was packed away when we moved). I did buy some Christmas decorations from QVC last week that came :) I told my boys I wanted to put them up & they rolled their eyes :laughing:

Its almost Christmas in July :)

mouseketeer_mom
06-28-2009, 10:10 AM
We have about 95% of our family birthdays in the first half of the year. I always start right after my twins birthday on the 4th of July so, I'm making my list. I try to get one gift per week between now and then! Wish me luck!

Hmmm, on second thought, I have started. Our Disney trip will be the big Christmas surprise gift for the kids this year.:cool1:

WeLoveLilo05
06-28-2009, 12:08 PM
I haven't started but I should, Last year I got fiance's family a bunch of things from bath and body shop and it was around now during their big clearance. I made his aunt, g-ma, and mom and nice little basket with things from there. I always wait to buy things for the kids, unless its clothing. Like right now DD likes Webkinz, UP, Club Penguin, but who knows what she will be into come Nov-Dec.

I am trying to think of a way to "stop" the exchanging. On my side, I only buy for the kids in the fam, my mom, dad, and grandfather. I do not even exchange with brother or my aunt (who is like my sis) we mutually agreed that the "gift giving" is for the kids and we are just happy that we are together for the holidays watching our kids play.

I kind of want to do this with fiance's fam....I don't want to sound rude but it is a bit much running around and getting gifts and spending the money with the crappy economy. He has a bigger fam. then me. His aunt always regifts for DD (dd is 4 and last year she got a size 14 HS Musical Zip up hoodie :headache:). And honestly, I don't think he would mind if he only exchanged with his mom, dad, grandparents, and sister. He kind of dropped a hint last year that he didn't want to exchange after DD opened the HS musical sweatshirt that could have fit me...but...who knows.

wickedwitchoware
06-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Just started my shopping last week picked up 3 Disney DVDs and the buy one get one beach towels for our next trip at the Disney store and a few stocking stuffers.

Happy shopping!!

EthansMom
06-28-2009, 07:42 PM
We try to give gifts to only our nieces and nephews for extended family. For adults last year, I purchased several $1 scratch lottery tickets and gave those to the adults at gift exchanges. That went over really well so I think I'll be doing it again this year... maybe 2 $1 tix per adult. It'll still only run about $20 total.

For the nieces and nephews, I'm pretty much at the point where I'm giving them each a $20 GC to an age-appropriate store (Claire's for my older niece, Toys R Us for my younger niece and nephew) or sometimes a $20 bill.

I have started some knitting for Christmas gifts. And I've purchased a couple of gifts. Really, I'm trying to get away from doing as much "buy, buy, buy...". We probably spend about $150 per child for our two kids, but it seems that about only a fraction of the stuff gets real use/play. I may challenge myself to spend/give less this year but make it mean more.

frannn
06-28-2009, 08:16 PM
War DVD set for DH's nephew. First season Twilight Zone dvd set for my dad. Digital photo frame for DMIL. Sonicare toothbrush for DH. Godiva gist cards for coworkers. Got all Yankee Candle XMas stuff months ago for teacher's, and to give with wine to whoever hosts Xmas dinner. Everything was purchased on sale, or from Woot. Still have 3 DD's, DH, mom, other nephew, DB, BIL to buy for.

jacksmom
06-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I got my DMIL a digital picture frame for Christmas last year and she looooooved it!:rotfl:

emh1129
06-28-2009, 08:56 PM
I haven't started yet. I'm thinking that I should start soon, though. I always end up scrambling around to buy for the extended family, so I should start with them first.