PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dollars

nappingbeauty
06-24-2009, 10:08 AM
My daughters friend who is going to disney this summer, her mother purchased disney dollars. Is there anywhere in the park she can not use them. Trying to stick to a budget, so if additional cash is needed need to prepare for those expenses.

DuffGT06
06-24-2009, 10:12 AM
You cannot use them at the Rainforest Cafe in AK. That's the only one I know for sure.

nappingbeauty
06-24-2009, 10:18 AM
How about the snack carts or souvenier stands?

bratmomma
06-24-2009, 10:32 AM
You can definitely use them at the shops and souvenier stands, as we have in the past. I am also pretty sure the snack carts accept them too, but not 100%.

I have also heard you can even tip with them at restaurants, however, I'm sure your servers would prefer US currency! :)

DuffGT06
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Just asked a friend who uses Disney Dollars often and she says you can use them "anywhere they accept card reader payments."

pixiewings71
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Well not at WDW but I've used DD at any of the vendor carts, to buy churros, to buy ice cream sandwiches, to buy water......

nappingbeauty
06-24-2009, 01:47 PM
thank you!

Disneyliscious
06-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Whats the point of a Disney Dollar? If they spend like cash in the parks, then there is no benefit to having them if they get lost as anyone can find them and spend them like cash?

Do they simply exist to make your kids go "awwww"?

pixiewings71
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM
It's not just kids who like them, but basically yes. They are a good way to give money as a gift, to save for souvies, to budget for food. And yes, they are just like cash, if you lose them you're out of luck.

CyndiLooWho
06-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Whats the point of a Disney Dollar? If they spend like cash in the parks, then there is no benefit to having them if they get lost as anyone can find them and spend them like cash?

Do they simply exist to make your kids go "awwww"?

We had them for the boys simply as a good way to segregate souvenier money from other money. Both sets of gps gave each of the boys money; I converted it to DD and showed them it was theirs and then let them work out what to buy with it. Having it on hand to say "see, this is all you have left" was very useful.

That said, I kept it, which was good b/c one of my boys left his fanny pack in a restroom and it never showed up again.

bratmomma
06-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Our experience has been similar to CyndiLoo except that we didn't lose anything in the past. (fingers crossed we don't this trip either). My boys got them as gifts before our trip and they each had their own envelopes with their own spending money. When they were out, they were out.

It helps me to save. If I put money aside and I need something I might "steal" from the stash. If I convert it into Disney Dollars, I can't very well run to the grocery store with some to pick up milk and green beans, you know? Its not worth the trip to the Disney Store to convert it back for other uses, so it keeps money designated for the trip, for the trip.

Disneyliscious
06-24-2009, 08:17 PM
I can see the kid factor in them. Ive never used them but was thinking of getting some for my boys before we go. Like the last poster, Im better at not using the money for other things if its aready tied up elsewhere.

What incriments do they come in? Only $1?

Melani
06-24-2009, 08:48 PM
$1, $5 & $10.

Also you can convert them back into US$, but they're so cute you just end up saving them for next trip.