PDA

View Full Version : OT-Cost for babysitting

mom of princessx2
06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
My friend has asked me if I would be intersted in watching her 10 month old DS a couple of days a week and I dont know what or if to charge.

First off, she started as my hair stylist then moved in our neighborhood and I would now consider her a friend. Her husband works nights and she works days so they just need someone about 2 days a week from about 10-5. Their DD3 goes to daycare.
I really want to help them out but I dont have any idea what a person would charge in this situation and I really dont want to do it for free.

Any thoughts??

jennilynn510
06-24-2009, 09:36 AM
First off, she started as my hair stylist then moved in our neighborhood and I would now consider her a friend.
I really want to help them out but I dont have any idea what a person would charge in this situation and I really dont want to do it for free.

Any thoughts??

is she still your stylist ?? if so how about free cuts, colors etc for the whole family...thats bound to save you hundreds a year.

Darcy03231
06-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I would say, at a minimum, $25/day.

AZMermaid
06-24-2009, 11:36 AM
My friend uses a sitter who comes to their house. She paid her $75 a day for her one baby but she will tell you that she pays too much but she loves her sitter too much to switch! Now she has 2 kids under 2 and pays $105 a day. It is her two kids and her cousin's 20 month old, who also pays $75 a day.

I have looked into doing this when I have kids and it seems like $40- $50 a day is the going rate for private childcare in my area. If you do it cash (so neither of you claim it) I might do a little less.

oops- didn't see it was 10-5! I would say $30-$40 a day!

JeMarie6
06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
For a friend, for only 10-5, I would charge $20 a day. If it was for a full day, or for someone else, I would charge $25 a day. Either way, make sure she supplies baby food/formula, diapers, etc. I'm in Iowa though, might be higher depending of cost of living in your area. Definitely don't do it for free and I would hate to set it up for free hair cuts/etc and then she not stay with the job, or other issues that might come up, etc.

puffkin
06-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I would charge her $25/day and have her bring all supplies. She wouldn't be able to get a teenager for less than that....let alone an experienced friend.

beattyfamily
06-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Wow, you guys are giving low numbers. Not sure what I'd charge. I guess it depends on how close I was to the person and the age of the kid (s) but....

What you guys are suggesting she charge is MUCH less than what our babysitters get for weekend nights.

We are charged between $10 - $15 an hour, depending on their age and experience for our 2 girls who are pretty independent....they are 9 and 13.

So to me, $20 - $25 is a GREAT deal for 7 hours a day for a 10 month old!!!

Before I read the replies I was thinking $50 is a good discount for a friend. :)

Good luck deciding OP. :)

4Seasons
06-24-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't think I would "barter" services, because let's face it haircuts and caring for a 10 month old are WAY different.

I would charge MINIMUM $25/day, and would have the hours, price and what she provides for the child in a contract in writing. I've seen TOO many "friend" situations go down the tube because the person watching the child gets taken advantage of and memories fade, lines blur, etc. about what was originally agreed upon.
Also think about the "what ifs" of the situation. Do you want to or will she expect you to watch the child if it is sick? Will you be watching the child are your house or hers?

There's alot to consider, so think carefully before you make a decision. Not trying to say don't do it, just cover your bases.

mom of princessx2
06-24-2009, 12:54 PM
For a friend, for only 10-5, I would charge $20 a day. If it was for a full day, or for someone else, I would charge $25 a day. Either way, make sure she supplies baby food/formula, diapers, etc. I'm in Iowa though, might be higher depending of cost of living in your area. Definitely don't do it for free and I would hate to set it up for free hair cuts/etc and then she not stay with the job, or other issues that might come up, etc.

$20 per day is about what I was thinking. She already cuts my DDs and DH hair for free and I need (want) highlights so I really need to go into the salon. Plus when I get my hair done that is like my little getaway every 6 weeks.;)

We are in Indiana so cost of living is pretty similar to IA. I hate to charge her anymore because she can send him to daycare for 5 days for only $100 because they would get the second child discount.

So hard when it is a friend!

4Seasons
06-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Also remember a center will normally charge more per day for part time though. You said she just wants 2 days a week. Either they would charge the full $100/week regardless of the number of days attended (which is usually what happens because otherwise they are losing money) or a higher per-day rate.

Good luck whatever your decision! ;)

LisaNJ25
06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
I charge my friend $25 a day for her 11mo. I have had him since he was 2 months old. 9-5 3 days a week and 9-2 1 day. I also drive him home.

beattyfamily
06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Her giving you free haircuts makes a big difference.

Also, knowing that in your state daycare is only $100 a week makes a big difference as well.

I guess then $20 is a good number.

ryanshana
06-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Just to kind of give you an idea...I babysit 2 of one of my closest friends kids once a day for $45 from 8-5. They also provided diapers.

Their kids were 2 & 1

JeMarie6
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Wow, you guys are giving low numbers. Not sure what I'd charge. I guess it depends on how close I was to the person and the age of the kid (s) but....

What you guys are suggesting she charge is MUCH less than what our babysitters get for weekend nights.

We are charged between $10 - $15 an hour, depending on their age and experience for our 2 girls who are pretty independent....they are 9 and 13.

Before I read the replies I was thinking $50 is a good discount for a friend. :)

We pay $105 a week for regular day care ($21 a day), but it would be $25 a day/$125 a week for an infant. I think rates really vary depending on where you live. I would ask her what she pays a week at daycare for the 3 year old and go from there

gracie1
06-24-2009, 01:17 PM
For 2 children in this area we get $25 an hour. I had people ask me to babysit and they said they would pay what they paid at home in virginia. I agreed because I didn't know what to charge but they paid me $100 for 2-3 hours :thumbsup2

mjkacmom
06-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Babysitters here who go to someone's home cost $10 an hour (usually teens). However, if you're watching someone's child in YOUR home, it's usually $25 - $30 a day, depending upon hours, and the age of the child. I've known many people who've done it for friends and family, and they usually end up regretting it. My almost 13 year old IS my babysitter! :cool1:

lvnmickey
06-24-2009, 03:59 PM
I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old (who's in school, during the school year). I pay my brother, who comes to my home with his two kids, eats me out of house and home and uses the electricity like it's free and I still pay him $50 a day. Fortunately only 2 days a week, but where can he go, take his kids with him and eat for free all day and still make $50 cash. Now that I'm writing about it, maybe I'm crazy. :rotfl2:

mom of princessx2
06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
We pay $105 a week for regular day care ($21 a day), but it would be $25 a day/$125 a week for an infant. I think rates really vary depending on where you live. I would ask her what she pays a week at daycare for the 3 year old and go from there

They pay $150 for DD3 and it would be $100 for a second child, so $250 per week if she was to send them both. And yes, like pp stated, she would have to pay full amount regardless if it was 2 or 5 days.

Disneydonnam
06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
The average rate that we are charged is $15 hr during the day and $20 for week-end nights.

mom of princessx2
06-24-2009, 05:19 PM
I've known many people who've done it for friends and family, and they usually end up regretting it.

Yikes! :eek: Didn't want to hear that!!

MSSANDRA
06-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Your home or theirs makes a big difference too. In your home you can still get things done. At their home you end up doing things for them. Also, can you take her and go at will, grocery store, wal-mart etc, or do they not want you taking her off.

At your home- 25.00/day
Their home- 40.00/day