PDA

View Full Version : save me money on meals in WDW

jennilynn510
06-24-2009, 09:16 AM
ok were heading down in august for a budget 4 day trip. staying at our DVC so do have a kitchen & will be having some essentials delivered. however still looking for some ideas for the park since were gonna for-go the dining plan this trip. i've heard of the ordering a double cheese burger & getting the extra bun but tell me what other ideas you might have :worship:

brymolmom
06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Best possible money saver on food - especially when you have a kitchen, is to bring a soft-sided cooler with you and load it up before you head to the parks. Bring drinks, snacks, fruit, sweets and sandwiches and you'll be all set for at least one meal and snacks in the park. Then maybe order just one meal while there. The double burger thing is good - or just split one of whatever meal you're getting and then supplement with some of the fruit from your cooler...that will really cut down costs.

Kimmumum
06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Our last few trips we have ordered from Garden Grocer. I have 2 boys (15 and 11) who are always hungry. We made wraps and quesadilla's in the room. We ordered a case of water, Pepsi (since you can't find it on Property), milk and cereal etc. Always bring a few snacks into the park. We find that with the heat we don't usually eat 3 regular meals. We usually eat breakfast in the room, lunch is usually bigger (but not huge) and dinner is smaller with a bigger snack later.

In the parks you can always order a kids meal (you get a choice of small pop, milk, juice or water, you get the main item, you also get a choice of 2 grapes, carrots, applesauce). If you are eating at a counter service place you can always get things that are affordable for any budget. You can always order things ala carte too which makes things cheaper (you don't have to get the fries etc).

My DH and boys have been known to get ice cream sandwiches from the bakery for a meal too:rotfl2:

jennilynn510
06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
excellent ideas ...keep them coming PLEASE !!

etoiles
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
When we went we brought a bottle of water to drink in the morning (one for each of us) and refilled it as it emptied during the day and used those crystal light type packets to add to it. You can even get free Crystal light packets at a nearby Target store by using one of these coupons (http://bricks.coupons.com/Start.asp?tqnm=qfchagz51969817&bt=vi&o=57003&c=CL&p=Ka7WrqLF)and buying the little packets that are in the checkout area and are 99 cents.

We did not buy one soda or drink ONCE except when we went to a sit down place. I'm sure it saved us a ton of money.

Also we ate stuff for breakfast in our room and the stuff that we ate I got for almost free by following the shopping guides on http://www.moneysavingmom.com

MineMail
06-24-2009, 10:05 AM
My best tip is to bring paper plates and strong plastic utensils so you can share portions from the counter service places and carts. We would order three meals then serve them family style on the table with each person helping themselves. (family of five)

I don't remember how sturdy the WDW utensils were. That's why I brought some to make smaller portions. You can ask at the counters for extra plates/paper baskets, but it was easy enough to bring my own. Bring napkins/paper towels and sanitary wipes.

Soft-side cooler with a pocket is great. Bring your own water bottles and drinks along with some snacks for when hunger strikes on a one-hour line. When we get there early enough, we bring breakfast stuff and munch while we wait for the rope drop.

Unless your kids are big eaters, never, never let them talk you into buying each one his/her own turkey leg. It's just too big - we ended up gnawing on one for an entire afternoon once. Just let them share it if they want one or do what DH does: "finish it" for them when they've had enough. Some people don't like to "eat behind" their kids, but DH will eat anything, lol.

(They are delicious. I saw some tiny ones at the supermarket this weekend and I really wanted to buy it. Decided it wouldn't be the same without the park and expense.)

KBazzel
06-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Check out Mousesavers.com. They have a fantastic section on cheap eating in the parks. One of their best tips is to buy a meal (like a half chicken with sides) and split it.

Kira

MineMail
06-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Also we ate stuff for breakfast in our room and the stuff that we ate I got for almost free by following the shopping guides on http://www.moneysavingmom.comAwesome site - thanks for sharing it.

CyndiLooWho
06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
We only ordered ice water with our CS meals and we didn't do any TS meals in the park. We paid only a few dollars more for TS dinners outside the park than we did for CS meals w/no drinks.

We too took fresh bottled water each morning and refilled them during the day, sometimes with water from the meal, sometimes at the water fountain. We also took drink packets b/c dh is more likely to drink if it's flavored.

I took small snacks in with us, just enough to take care of needing a little something in the line or while waiting in the sometimes very long CS lines. I took individually wrapped twizzlers, slim jims and packs of 4 pb crackers.

We did b-fast in the condo, mostly poptarts and choc milk, but we did use the toaster for eggos and the microwave for bacon (buy pre-cooked).

Some of the meals were too large for out little guys, so we held onto the leftovers for snacks (ie, we got them each a hot dog meal which came with chips, between them they only ate 1 bag of chips).

We also split meals, even at CS. The boys split an adult chicken fingers one day, and they could have split an adult pizza at pizza planet (this was our first day, know better now). If it's not quite enough, get a snack later.

HM
06-24-2009, 10:44 AM
We asked for ice water at every place we ate this past trip, instead of buying sodas. Free

We bought meals that can easily be split by two.... Shwarma platter at Tangerine Cafe, Fish and Chicken (and fries) at Columbia Harbor House, Rotisserie Chicken at Cosmic Cafe, (can't recall the name) platter at Cantina in Mexico. They are usually the more expensive item but can feed two for less than you'd feed two with other meals. Buy kids meals sometimes (cheeseburger at Pecos Bill with fixings and fries and grapes was inexpensive.

ccgirl
06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
The Animal Kingdom now has a Picnic in the Park. You order it at least two hours before you need it. I think the price is fairly reasonable considering how much you get. I always bring bottled water with me. We freeze them the night before and they also act as ice packs to the sandwiches we pack. When you consider a bottle of water is $3 that can really add up. I do not care for the taste of FL water at all so we only drink bottled. We also buy the pringles chips as you don't have to worry about the chips breaking into tiny pieces due to the cannister.